Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sympathy as an opener. The verdict?
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 11, 2017 09:42

Thrylan
It would have been great in 81'-94'....... But not now. It builds tension, unfortunately Keith never can release that tension.... A very long suspenseful intro, then suddenly throw Keith out to pull off a solo he hasn't blasted since 89'. It sets Keith up to lose..... Otherwise, brilliant idea, love getting it out of the way, stage looks great.

Mick and Ronnie need to send Charlie in to tell Keith, Ronnie is getting the solo stuff.....

exactly what i thought. charlie could be the only one to tell keith to let the leads to ronnie.

Date: September 11, 2017 10:54

Thrylan
It would have been great in 81'-94'....... But not now. It builds tension, unfortunately Keith never can release that tension.... A very long suspenseful intro, then suddenly throw Keith out to pull off a solo he hasn't blasted since 89'. It sets Keith up to lose..... Otherwise, brilliant idea, love getting it out of the way, stage looks great.

Mick and Ronnie need to send Charlie in to tell Keith, Ronnie is getting the solo stuff.....

Hmm, it was exactly what he did when he came on stage smiling smiley

The congas were building up, we heard the «whoo whoos», a few grunts from Mick and then he started to sing the verse. People were in awe.

But when the chorus came, and Keith hit that chord.... Yep, the tension was indeed released thumbs up

That's how I experienced it anyway smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 10:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 11, 2017 11:17

Visually it worked better: no goofy choreography with backing singers, no silly monkey coat. Sonically, not so good. But it was good to get it out of the way quickly (well, it does seem to go on forever) and move on.

Date: September 11, 2017 11:25

DeanGoodman
Visually it worked better: no goofy choreography with backing singers, no silly monkey coat. Sonically, not so good. But it was good to get it out of the way quickly (well, it does seem to go on forever) and move on.

What made it poorer sonically ?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2017 12:30

35love
Silver Dagger
You had to be there. It was immense. It took everyone by surprise. They got the rhythm going for a minute or so before Mick came in as per the video I posted earlier. For the hardcore fans you just know from that moment that we were going to be in for a treat.

Mick or one of their inner circle must have been listening to the various sites like IORR. There was an overwhelming concensus that the set had to change. And they delivered. Whether it stays like this remain to be seen but no one knew what to expect next last night.

They kept it fresh and that's how it should be. Well done Stones.

Excellent, thank you. I could 'tell' from my own heartbeat watching a video, but in our amateur video the crowd 'seemed' quiet. But what a tone to set!

Thanks 35love. Just to recap how it went here is my video from the very start. From the moment the lights turned into smoke and flames we knew the first song was going to be Sympathy. There is no way to describe that feeling.

The bunch of IORRers that were watching together - Dandylion Powderman, Robbber Bride, manofwealthandtaste, Erwin Watts and more all looked at each other and thought I can't believe this. It was goosebumps all the way throughout the show. We really didn't know what the next song would be except Midnight Rambler after the Keith songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 12:32 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:45

Silver Dagger
35love
Silver Dagger
You had to be there. It was immense. It took everyone by surprise. They got the rhythm going for a minute or so before Mick came in as per the video I posted earlier. For the hardcore fans you just know from that moment that we were going to be in for a treat.

Mick or one of their inner circle must have been listening to the various sites like IORR. There was an overwhelming concensus that the set had to change. And they delivered. Whether it stays like this remain to be seen but no one knew what to expect next last night.

Excellent, thank you. I could 'tell' from my own heartbeat watching a video, but in our amateur video the crowd 'seemed' quiet. But what a tone to set!

Thanks 35love. Just to recap how it went here is my video from the very start. From the moment the lights turned into smoke and flames we knew the first song was going to be Sympathy. There is no way to describe that feeling.

The bunch of IORRers that were watching together - Dandylion Powderman, Robbber Bride, manofwealthandtaste, Erwin Watts and more all looked at each other and thought I can't believe this. It was goosebumps all the way throughout the show. We really didn't know what the next song would be except Midnight Rambler after the Keith songs.

Sorry about the off-key falsetto singing, Mike! grinning smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 11, 2017 13:08

The same sampled version as always in the last 28 years. The long piano passage at the beginning doesn't fit to a perfect opener. If it would be played like in 69/70 or in 75, it would be a great opener ... And: Let Ronnie play the solo-stuff. Unfortunately Keith's "solos" are rather awkward.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 11, 2017 13:14

I think it worked well, for the reasons mentioned, here, by folks who were at the gig.

In addition "please allow me to introduce myself" as "opener" phrase is perfect for people who see the Stones live first time. Think about it...

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: September 11, 2017 13:15

It work surprisingly well. Nobody expected them to open with Sympathy. The intro set up great mood and moments when Mick and later Keith and Ronnie entered the stage made the whole place go nuts. Love the change and also other swaps in the setlist! It made it very refreshing!

Date: September 11, 2017 13:29

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
35love
Silver Dagger

Sorry about the off-key falsetto singing, Mike! grinning smiley

It was YOU was it? I was thinking if I ever find out who that was, I'll put a laxative in their drink before the next show!!

Date: September 11, 2017 13:32

grinning smiley

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: September 11, 2017 14:02

It worked for me. Okay Keith's part...

But it worked live there. It might not work on youtube. Apart from that I agree with the "bunch of IORRers"(posted above) who were there.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 14:08

Silver Dagger
35love
Silver Dagger

Sympathy as show opener gets a big thumbs up from me. We all guessed what might be the opener pre show, and no-one correctly. I think we all thought they would stick with the tired, tried and tested JJF or SMU.

Being a tour opener, the IORR 10, as you say, repeatedly looked at one another, especially the 1st half of the show in complete disbelief at some of the choices. Even myself, present in a good listening spot for the rehearsals. I thought some of the songs rehearsed on Thursday might be saved for Munich but nope, we got the whole lot ! Imho, The reshuffled warhorse song order was an excellent move too, freshening the whole thing up.

SD, was it you who took the big group photo in the pub before the show?

bv has said previously that the band, or at least their entourage, read this site and if so, what a great response smileys with beer

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 11, 2017 14:18

grzegorz67
Silver Dagger
35love
Silver Dagger

Sympathy as show opener gets a big thumbs up from me. We all guessed what might be the opener pre show, and no-one correctly. I think we all thought they would stick with the tired, tried and tested JJF or SMU.

Being a tour opener, the IORR 10, as you say, repeatedly looked at one another, especially the 1st half of the show in complete disbelief at some of the choices. Even myself, present in a good listening spot for the rehearsals. I thought some of the songs rehearsed on Thursday might be saved for Munich but nope, we got the whole lot ! Imho, The reshuffled warhorse song order was an excellent move too, freshening the whole thing up.

bv has said previously that the band, or at least their entourage, read this site and if so, what a great response smileys with beer

'scuse me, 'scuse me.........smoking smiley .......[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 15:52 by EddieByword.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:44

I've been agitating for Sympathy as the opener for years. "Pleased to meet you..." I mean come on it's a natural. PLUS its spot near the end of the set drags down the show because everybody knows what's going to happen.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:56

rbk
I've been agitating for Sympathy as the opener for years. "Pleased to meet you..." I mean come on it's a natural. PLUS its spot near the end of the set drags down the show because everybody knows what's going to happen.

Same here....get the woo woos outta the way........

plus......I reckon it took that turn for the worse in Las Vegas 1994. Mick swapped out Love is strong (1st show) at the beginning of the finale for Sympathy in the 2nd........

Other than finishing with Sympathy in '99, which they hadn't done since '75, I agree with that......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 15:57 by EddieByword.

Date: September 11, 2017 17:05

grzegorz67
Silver Dagger
35love
Silver Dagger

Yes, I took the big group photo. Need to upload it and get it on the site. The IORR 10.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:21

Not the best IMO but they wanted to change, everybody wanted a change so it's all right (in fact it's a gas gas gas)

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: September 11, 2017 20:18

DandelionPowderman
Thrylan

Hmm, it was exactly what he did when he came on stage smiling smiley

The congas were building up, we heard the «whoo whoos», a few grunts from Mick and then he started to sing the verse. People were in awe.

But when the chorus came, and Keith hit that chord.... Yep, the tension was indeed released thumbs up

That's how I experienced it anyway smiling smiley

I get it, listened a couple times...... I know you play...... It's more than just the B chord. Let Ronnie have the leads, let Keith hit that B in Open G, put some coloration in the verse, as they used to.

It reminded me of the Hulk movie that made you wait 50 minutes to see the Hulk....lol

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 11, 2017 21:27

I wonder if this was a temporary fix because the introductory video is not ready yet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2017 22:11

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:17

well, they tried it. they should now open with

around & around, followed by
just your fool, just to get keith warmed up, then launch into
start me up.

sympathy; can start the encore, ending the show with
street fighting man

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:42

I thought it was a great opener, i hope they keep it as the opener, it definitely allows Mick more energy to ease his way into the rest of the show.
This show was all about setting a slower pace, so that they can set a tempo that they can go on delivering for another few years.
It makes sense. I get the feeling this new stage and strategy is for the long haul, not just for 14 last shows ever. Lots of slower songs and ballads in the mix. This has been well thought out to accommodate their respective ages.
A part of me still longs for the immediate blast of JJF as an opener but its time for change.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 12, 2017 03:01

DOA.

Too clumsy. Way too many woo woo's. The only version that works for me is the 1969 Ya Ya's version. If they can work to sound like 1969 then keep it, if not dump it. Open with "Honky Tonk Women."

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 12, 2017 03:02

Just watched on youtube - stage looks amazing
I loved the intro with the crowd singing woot woooo then out comes mick - awesome

Chills....

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 12, 2017 07:41

It was a easant surprise! Maybe mix it up a bit; ADTL would be nice or a CB song, or even Rip This Joint would be awesome.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: September 12, 2017 10:14

Hope they keep it! Now a beggars double header opener please.... sympathy straight in to street fighting man!

Date: September 12, 2017 10:24

The Sicilian
DOA.

Too clumsy. Way too many woo woo's. The only version that works for me is the 1969 Ya Ya's version. If they can work to sound like 1969 then keep it, if not dump it. Open with "Honky Tonk Women."

That depends on whether you like a crowd singalong opening or not. I thought it was fun singing along with the whole park myself.

But I do understand if people want a swinging rocker as the first song instead smiling smiley

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 12, 2017 10:29

When opening with Sympathy you get some flashes to Not Fade Away in 94/95, a different opening and MOST of all - a different show setup. Keep it in order to give us the feeling of that you want to something else instead of just SMU or JJF. If they are to change it go for SFM.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 12, 2017 11:03

Perhaps they will try SFTD again tonight and after, maybye, change the opener.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home