Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:30

barbabang
Firts impression : I like Gotta Get A Grip. And the Kevin Parker remix too.

I don't like GGAG...but the Kevin Parker Remix it's interesting!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:34

England Lost with Gotta Get A grip bolted on after it sounds better ....

Wonder what Tinkerbell over at Shidoobee will have ta say about me now .... HHHHHaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:37

I ordered the CD, there is no iTunes purchase option,
cannot focus in on it video the video distracts me, it actually irritated me/ the dude having a panic attack.
I need to hear the music audio only.
Love you Mick.

ETA: LOL just realized someone gonna say: uh, close your eyes?
Distracted in Cali. maybe irritated too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 00:39 by 35love.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:40

I think these are really good songs, what's Keefs problem, these could have made good Stones songs if they had Charlie on the drums and Keith and Ron filling in with some of there great playing.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:59

maumau
stone4ever
maumau
england's lost is really good: the groove, the lyrics, the attitude, the vocals: credible
gotta get non so much, shame on keith because that he could have worked on and turn into a very good gritty stones funk, as the Kevin Parker Remix shows. that remix is my fav version of the song though it turns it almost like a whola lotta love rip off.

monkeyman2000: I agree put the fire of subst damage into gotta get and you have a flamboyant funk worth a VG+++ stones record

Do you think this might be Mick's revenge on Keith for him rejecting these two tracks.
I don't really understand why Keith would reject Gotta Get A Grip because its similar to the odd Funk number Keith has tried in the past.
Actually how do we know Keith has rejected this, i mean i don't think Keith is at liberty to reject a Mick track on a Stones album, it happens all the time.

you're right it was my assumption but actually, if it's true what mick's says that these are very recent ideas, it might not be the case. still I thing GGAG expecially sounds like a "good song for stones" imo

I think of GGAG as a good filler track on a Stones album at best, but i'm genuinely surprised that some of you are so easily pleased when it comes to these two uninspired efforts.
I just can't help thinking that if this was not Mick Jagger singing on these two numbers most of us wouldn't give it a second play.
I have to admit that after seeing the lyrics first i was hoping for more, i still think Mick is struggling as an artist, perhaps this will lead him to better things. Its a start if nothing else.
This is the guy who wrote SFTD, we all tend to forget that, we forget what this man is capable of, i wish Mick would not try so hard to distance himself from the music that defined him, from the genius that is inside him.
In trying to be appealing to younger generations he serves himself short, wake up Mick , its still not to late to make a fantastic Stones album with Keith, that is what you do best, no one could argue that fact.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:02

What makes you think Keith has heard these songs? They are Mick's. He released them now on a solo single because political circumstances will have changed by the time the Stones album is finished.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:06

I think the paranoid running man in the "England Lost" video symbolizes England running from the European Union.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:12

Wild Slivovitz
I'm glad that so many people seem to like these songs. As much as I love Mick, I'm sorry to say that I can't share this feeling. Anything on Crosseyed Heart sounds to me 1000 times better than either song. Hopefully I might change my mind with additional listenings, but that's my very humble opinion so far.

I was trying to be positive earlier with first impressions, but I would agree withe the above. After a few more listens don't see that either of these new tunes (and their multiple remixes) will have any staying power. They really sound like outtakes and/or B-sides from the years past quickly cobbled together...works in progress that are missing certain elements. Not bad for a listen or two, but nothing that will keep me coming back...no deep meaning...no nuances to discover... what you hear is what you get. Not sure if these will be hits anywhere...even dance clubs don't play this type of stuff any more.

That said, hats off to Mick for doing something.

Date: July 28, 2017 01:13

P.S.
I am warmed Mick wrote his thoughts / shared/ current about these songs.
Yes, I'm a geek.
And still haven't heard them. I am holding my line on not joining Spotify.
My H has Spotify. Maybe I'm rebelling from his selling. But Mick's gaze in my eyes from Spotify thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 01:14 by 35love.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:19

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:21

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

I like it!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:26

Have not heard the 2 songs yet. Just got back from work. will listen tomorrow. But i like it that Mick has released 2 solo songs. Quite brave and daring.
The man has got got some guts!!!!

Well mick, we already knew that ofcourse.

I am glad you did that.
jeroen

Date: July 28, 2017 01:31

The production is finally not trendy but what's been going on for a little while now - that low end distorted dirty sound with odd sounds here and there. Has a bit of RL Burnside to it in both ways - his original recordings and then the 'remixes' that was that pretty good album COME ON IN.

Can hear how it wouldn't really work as Stones songs - there's not much "song" to them. It seems to be more about what he has to say with a lot of production involved (hence all the sounds). A little goofy here and there lyrically but overall effective. Nothing outstanding or groundbreaking but whatever, right.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:41

i envy the capacity to predict the future, personal and or objective, of these songs, some already show here. me i can barely judge what my guts like here and now (englands lost feat skepta and the lyrics video and kevins parkers ggag remix) and what they dont (ggag official version and expecially official video that i find very lame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 01:44 by maumau.

Date: July 28, 2017 01:42

Mick is back with 90s funk. It's all about the groove with these tracks.

I enjoy the grooves and, as always, hearing Mick singing new material. However, the songs don't really go anywhere. They don't always have to.

I'm sure they're quite nice to dance to, though, and I like some bits of the lyrics + his comments (albeit more subtle with the music than I thought they would be).

Date: July 28, 2017 01:46

[pitchfork.com]

on kevin parker remix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 01:47 by maumau.

Date: July 28, 2017 01:59

Alright I gotta grip and bought 5 tracks from iTunes, that's all I wanted, I have to remember torture and irritation ride along side my RS highs.
'Gotta Get A Grip' w/ Seeb
I had too look up Seeb
[en.m.wikipedia.org])
I like the funk I move outside to music sometimes in
5 new tunes smileys with beer

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 28, 2017 02:11

Hairball
Wild Slivovitz
I'm glad that so many people seem to like these songs. As much as I love Mick, I'm sorry to say that I can't share this feeling. Anything on Crosseyed Heart sounds to me 1000 times better than either song. Hopefully I might change my mind with additional listenings, but that's my very humble opinion so far.

I was trying to be positive earlier with first impressions, but I would agree withe the above. After a few more listens don't see that either of these new tunes (and their multiple remixes) will have any staying power. They really sound like outtakes and/or B-sides from the years past quickly cobbled together...works in progress that are missing certain elements. Not bad for a listen or two, but nothing that will keep me coming back...no deep meaning...no nuances to discover... what you hear is what you get. Not sure if these will be hits anywhere...even dance clubs don't play this type of stuff any more.

That said, hats off to Mick for doing something.

thumbs up This true, but truth doesn't go down well here, its ok at best, i can enjoy the fact Mick is singing a new song or two but that's it, this is no game changer.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 28, 2017 02:23

Both are fun and groove songs with some tongue in cheek and political content, a classic "Mick without the Stones" stuff.

Nowadays, with Youtube and Spotify, he can release a couple of singles each year if he wants, the whole 2013-2016 period with loads of demos written and ZERO release was a waste of time, IMO.

Date: July 28, 2017 02:35

no words on who's playing on them?

Date: July 28, 2017 02:41

And hey, we all like different stuff. Again, I think no matter WHAT
'they' put out while still alive, there will be nay-Sayers.

So, my favorite off the bat, and I *know* right away, I do, me n' Iovine, Dre, we run like that, lol.
'England Lost' reimagined (I don't know what that means)
but I know 'I didn't want to come anyway' said a couple different ways
and Skepta rappin' with that groove lyrics it has the whole hit making ride taking ingredients-

Mick Jagger - "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 28, 2017 03:22

Mick Jagger Gets Political, Addresses U.K. 'Anxiety' on Two New Songs

‘’We obviously have a lot of problems," Rolling Stones singer says of "England Lost" and "Gotta Get a Grip." "So am I politically optimistic? … No"

By Jon Blistein

Mick Jagger unveiled two politically charged new songs, "England Lost" and "Get a Grip." The Rolling Stones singer said he penned the tracks in response to the "anxiety [and] unknowability of the changing political situation." He added, "We obviously have a lot of problems. So am I politically optimistic? … No."

"England Lost" boasts a bluesy breakbeat and finds Jagger recounting the story of a disappointing soccer match, which serves as an analogy for this "difficult moment in our history." He continued, "It's about the unknowability about where you are and the feeling of insecurity. That's how I was feeling when I was writing. It's obviously got a fair amount of humor because I don't like anything too on the nose but it's also got a sense of vulnerability of where we are as a country."

The noir-style video for "England Lost" follows a jittery businessman who discovers he's being followed after leaving work. A chase ensues as the man runs through London then out into the countryside where things get even weirder. The man is hit by a bicyclist, then a car, then dashes into the ocean where he's apprehended by two men who drag him ashore. The townspeople surround him and a little girl tells him flat out, "Pull yourself together."

"Gotta Get a Grip," is a grittier dance rock tune, though it too has a sinister edge. The video is set in an opulent nightclub where extravagance and excess reach a boiling point and explode into chaos while Jagger rails against everything from greed to xenophobia. "Everybody's stuffing their pockets, everybody's on tape," he sneers. "The news is all fake/ Let 'em eat chicken and let 'em eat steak/ Let 'em eat shit, let 'em eat cake."

Of the track, Jagger said, "The message I suppose is – despite all those things that are happening, you gotta get on with your own life, be yourself and attempt to create your own destiny."

Jagger said he wrote "Gotta Get A Grip" and "England Lost" in April and chose to release them as standalone tracks rather than waiting to put them on a full album. "It's always refreshing to get creative in a different fashion and I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording on the hoof and putting it out there immediately," he said. "I didn't want to wait until next year when these two tracks might lose any impact and mean nothing."

Jagger also spoke about his current musical tastes, noting he'll often make playlists filled with recommendations from young family members with old favorites. "I listen to R&B and pop and strange mixes of old and new and then like everyone I make my own random playlists," he said. "The last things I added to a list were Kendrick Lamar, Skepta, Mozart, Howlin’ Wolf, Tame Impala, obscure Prince tracks and classic soul stuff from The Valentine Brothers. I really like Kendrick Lamar; he’s also talking about discontent and he really nailed it. I thought his stuff, and what [British rapper] Skepta is doing, are very interesting and pretty much on the button.’" Skepta will appear on a "reimagined" version of "England Lost."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 03:23

coffeepotman
I think these are really good songs, what's Keefs problem, these could have made good Stones songs if they had Charlie on the drums and Keith and Ron filling in with some of there great playing.

I suspect Mick built the song with the riff and the drum machine, then brought it to the band. There's not much in it for them to do at that point. I know Keith has carved out guitar bits on Mick's songs in the past but it's probably not what he wants to do.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 28, 2017 03:31

england Lost is really good, and Grip has a killer hook...Like them I do.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:06

Where is the 'killer hook' in GGaG?

Date: July 28, 2017 04:08

'Gotta Get A Grip' (Alok Remix)
gritty, tough, grinding it.
love it.

The 2 songs I really dig, I hear no RS. Mick's harp the closest thing.

Date: July 28, 2017 04:29

coffeepotman

They're not. They're just rambling songs, there's not much to them. It's the production that makes them work. NOT Stones-esque in any way.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:35

BOTH sound like a new version of Undercover to me.

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:35

The way he repeatedly sings Gotta Getta Grip and the particular melody of those words is slightly annoying after a few listens.

Date: July 28, 2017 04:36

peoplewitheyes
Where is the 'killer hook' in GGaG?

Do you mean GGAG because I don't know what GGaG is.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home