Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2017 03:27

haha.. no surprise, the archiebunker side of Rolling Stones fanbase making a lot of noise in a thread dedicated to a new Mick Jagger single...grinning smiley Makes me wonder, which is more satisfying for them (while of course strumming their own guitar tuned to open G): to express the eternal love and adoration for Keith Richards, and always to defend him no matter fart goes on -- Or: show the unique, brave act of telling the whole world what a crap Mick Jagger is, and always been, all about.. Or do they go in one hand (digging Richards is bashing Jagger?)? Anyway, I am sure every Rolling Stones fan in this world is jealous for this little cult of true believers, for whom there is never any grey between the black and white. Even Donald Trump should learn from them a lesson.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 03:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2017 03:45

Rocky Dijon
"Let's Work" really continued the same message as "Hang Fire" -- Mick's dislike of a welfare nation. The difference was "Hang Fire" seemed gutsy and caustic and "Let's Work" sounded like "We are the World" was his model to embrace the work ethic his father instilled in him. The hideous dance music doesn't help. Or the hideous video. Or the hideous Top of the Pops appearance. Still, he never played the song on his solo tour so he probably didn't think much of it either.

Yet it was the lead single...maybe the backlash towards it after release caused him to have second thoughts.

Nice comparison with We are the World by the way.thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 19, 2017 03:56

The thing is the choice of the single could have been Walter Yetnikoff or Roger Davies thinking it was the most commercial track for radio in 1987. We really don't know what went into that process. However, it was a risk that didn't pay. The album was not successful, but Mick played half the songs (or better) at every show as well as 2 or 3 from his first album, about 20 Stones songs, and even a cover version or two. I think he did like the album even if the single was still-born. And we say still-born though it sold better than "Take It So Hard" or any single after "Rock and a Hard Place." A minor Top 40 hit in 1987, but for a guy who only had two more Top 40 hits left in him, that means its actually a standout. Sad way to look at it. Take away the keyboards, the rhythm track, and the choir and give it a different lyric and it might have been okay. In other words, the guitar isn't terrible.

Date: July 19, 2017 05:30

"Take away the keyboards, the rhythm track, and the choir and give it a different lyric and it might have been okay. In other words, the guitar isn't terrible".

Lol perhaps so, yet despite all of that it was on his Greatest Hits album!
I guess when there's slim pickings, you have to scrape up everything that's at ones disposal - and a quick glance at the songs listed on his "Greatest Hits" is the epitome of a hodgepodge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 05:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2017 05:38

stone4ever
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of when Mick last did better lyrics than this latest effort.

Look no further than the brilliant and genius Sweet Neo Con.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2017 06:10

the archiebunker side of Rolling Stones fanbase making a lot of noise in a thread dedicated to a new Mick Jagger single...

you mean The Neg Boys ..... hhhhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 19, 2017 06:51

35love
z
Aqua, aqua. Aquapuncture. AQUA.

z man, whatta ya thinkin' with this?

Ah, no, no...wasn't thinking anything, I was only correcting Rocky and Rockman. Acupuncture is fine, aquapuncture I've never tried. Injecting water...no, thanks.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:07

There are worse things to inject than water.

But thank you for the correction. My weary and bleary nearly half century old eyes did not notice the distinction.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:23

There are worse things to inject than water.

Horse Tranquilizer ... Its friggin rough... ya kick for a lil' while but ya get a good nights sleeeeeeeeep ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:46

Doxa
haha.. no surprise, the archiebunker side of Rolling Stones fanbase making a lot of noise in a thread dedicated to a new Mick Jagger single...grinning smiley Makes me wonder, which is more satisfying for them (while of course strumming their own guitar tuned to open G): to express the eternal love and adoration for Keith Richards, and always to defend him no matter fart goes on -- Or: show the unique, brave act of telling the whole world what a crap Mick Jagger is, and always been, all about.. Or do they go in one hand (digging Richards is bashing Jagger?)? Anyway, I am sure every Rolling Stones fan in this world is jealous for this little cult of true believers, for whom there is never any grey between the black and white. Even Donald Trump should learn from them a lesson.grinning smiley

- Doxa

While I try--and don't always succeed--to stay agnostic on Keith v Mick, I will profess to an admiration for those posters who are able to divine the entire width, breadth and depth of a piece of recorded music w/o having yet heard said music. That is clairvoyance of the highest order.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 19, 2017 09:47

clairvoyance has always been one of the key principals that these forum pages are based on grinning smiley

Date: July 19, 2017 10:00

Doxa

- Doxa

Doxa, you are one of the great thinkers of this board and one of the best reasons to scan 'Tell Me', but slow down. Dont go down the dark side.winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 19, 2017 10:24

I hope Mick will do some interviews to promote his project, and am a little excited to hear the new song. Like the lyrics though.
Jeoen

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 19, 2017 10:35

Doxa
the archiebunker side of Rolling Stones fanbase
You don't really think it's going to be an All-American sing-along, do you? smiling smiley [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 19, 2017 13:07

35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
Whoa, the venom was unpleasant here, and unnecessary (certainly until you've actually heard something, and God help us you actually like it)
C'mon dude.

ETA: and is 'riffie' some kind of inside joke? WTF.

My sarcasm is grown blunt and tired; will try harder next time.

No, I honestly don't get it/ understand. Why would you call posters with different names the same nickname?

Allow me to clarify 35love, I think LongBeach thought he was replying to my post, he made a mistake, I'm riffy, always have been, take care love.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 15:58

stone4ever
35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
Whoa, the venom was unpleasant here, and unnecessary (certainly until you've actually heard something, and God help us you actually like it)
C'mon dude.

No, I honestly don't get it/ understand. Why would you call posters with different names the same nickname?

Allow me to clarify 35love, I think LongBeach thought he was replying to my post, he made a mistake, I'm riffy, always have been, take care love.

Oh yeah I didn't realize I'd done that. Yes, there is only one riffie. They broke the mold with that dear fellow.

Date: July 19, 2017 17:31

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
C'mon dude.

Oh yeah I didn't realize I'd done that. Yes, there is only one riffie. They broke the mold with that dear fellow.

I could say the same thing about you dear boy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 19, 2017 18:13

Where's the songs man? For some reason I thought Wednesday then it's Friday
now it's we don't know
What's Mick doing, planning his b-day party,
'We Love You'

Date: July 19, 2017 18:26

35love
Where's the songs man? For some reason I thought Wednesday then it's Friday
now it's we don't know
What's Mick doing, planning his b-day party,
'We Love You'

That's quite alright the pleasures all mine, and thank you for mentioning it.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 19, 2017 20:34

I still think it might be "acupuncture" instead of the aqua....

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: July 19, 2017 20:44

Spud
clairvoyance has always been one of the key principals that these forum pages are based on grinning smiley

Clairvoyance would have been a clever word for Mick to use in 'Gotta Getta Grip" imo.
Almost sure he's used that word before...kind of rhymes with paranoia...depending on how he sings it.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 19, 2017 20:46

Keith was not a fan of this tune. ... I wish they could've come up with this modus operandi a long time ago: Mick putting his pop experiments out on the side, heading off arguments with Keith, and letting the collective work continue.

Date: July 19, 2017 21:20

MelBelli
Keith was not a fan of this tune. ... I wish they could've come up with this modus operandi a long time ago: Mick putting his pop experiments out on the side, heading off arguments with Keith, and letting the collective work continue.

Intriguing post Melbelli, I don't suppose you could expand more on what you just said. Keith didn't like Mick's new single?? Are you an insider??

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:25

i think it will sound something like that....

[youtu.be]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:26

stone4ever
MelBelli

Intriguing post Melbelli, I don't suppose you could expand more on what you just said. Keith didn't like Mick's new single?? Are you an insider??

I'm not personally an insider, but I do know one. I'm saying Keith did not like this song (Clifford also involved, natch), and so it became a Mick single.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:29

Doxa

- Doxa

hahaha, true thumbs up

Date: July 19, 2017 21:39

FoolToCry
i think it will sound something like that....

[youtu.be]

Fair prediction as some of us were speculating earlier, but it might even have a heavier rap/street vibe with Skepta involved.
From what I've learned since first hearing about Skepta, he seems to be more on the cutting edge (vs. Will.I.Am), and possibly even more respected amongst the younger generation.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:42

MelBelli

Thank you, Mel! thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:45

Well, in fairness to us 'Keithettes,' here we are waiting for a new Stones album and we get this carefully orchestrated Mick project pressing all the familiar topical buttons. He's working with a young, hot artist! His lyrics are so edgy they will be banned!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:53

MelBelli
stone4ever
MelBelli

I'm not personally an insider, but I do know one. I'm saying Keith did not like this song (Clifford also involved, natch), and so it became a Mick single.

Thanks Mel!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home