Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: The rise and fall of the rock star
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:50

Pietro
Rock and Roll led a long, fruitful life. In 1956, no one thought it would last fifty years.

I don't think there's room anymore to do anything within the narrow guitar, drums, bass format that hasn't already been done. It's played out.

But it was fun while it lasted. We should appreciate it for that.

That's just ridiculous. It will always be around. Someone will always do something "good". Guitar, drums and bass is not a "format". Culturally there has been an enormous shift to laziness. That involves computers doing almost everything. Club music isn't exactly music. Something with deep sweeping bass noise and ridiculous beats is just sonic gibberish.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 29, 2017 04:06

GasLightStreet

... It will always be around. Someone will always do something "good". Guitar, drums and bass is not a "format". Culturally there has been an enormous shift to laziness. That involves computers doing almost everything. Club music isn't exactly music. Something with deep sweeping bass noise and ridiculous beats is just sonic gibberish.
thumbs up

Lazy and more profitable as they pay fewer people make sounds they can sell (I say sounds because it sure as hell aint music)

I think club music sounds are poundingsht. I guess it is OK for people doing the right drugs at raves and stuff... but without the drugs it is just noise. Rap and computer generated sounds appear to be a very profitable way to sell sounds. But it has negative appeal to me. I wonder how many people put EDM on a car to just listen too? Fk club sounds and fk rap crap.

I keep waiting for rap crap to go away, but it doesn't. I guess it is just too profitable, but to my ears it has gotten worse and worse.

I cant stand to hear rap crap on live sports broadcasts or in movies... it is noise, just someone yelling and screaming. All rap does that is impressive is show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and some people happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.

part of that is a stolen quote, but it is also a simple fact.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 29, 2017 05:25

Quote from Rollingfreak:
“In terms of the future, I have a friend who works for Livenation and I just recently asked him what he thinks about that. Is the company afraid? Do they live on bands like Guns N Roses waiting to reunite and being a massive success? He said not really. He said each year they set their goals higher, and frequently hit the mark. I countered by saying aren't bills like Eagles/Fleetwood Mac/Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers/Earth Wind And Fire more harmful than helpful. Thats a ton of big name bands playing a huge place, how do you know if there's gonna be enough interest? Aren't you taking a big gamble? He said sometimes, but that often it works out more than I would think. He said they aren't as concerned with "reunions" as I would think. There will always be something. I guess in the end he's right. I said I guess it'll turn to pop acts since older rock acts will start dying out and I would think, even though they are old, those STILL bring in the most consistent money, but he just said the landscape has changed and while thats true to a point, there are a lot of factors and they have measures in place that the business isn't just gonna crumble overnight.”

It’s over when the boomers finally all kick the bucket.
More large unused Olympic stadiums going to pot (not organic cannabis farming, but hey thumbs up)
Seriously, I get this very distinct feeling people are going/we are being geared to staying home- home deliv. from driverfree cars, work at home. Anticipating worsening bad air, not sure, but large massive crowd events, for music, wayside after our rock heroes and us, expire. Replaced by or if, not sure.
I say that’s a massive snow bluff, whoever said that from Livenation.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 29, 2017 09:42

Pietro
Rock and Roll led a long, fruitful life. In 1956, no one thought it would last fifty years.

I don't think there's room anymore to do anything within the narrow guitar, drums, bass format that hasn't already been done. It's played out.

It didn't.

In the early days, "rock and roll" featured besides guitar, bass and drums also saxophone and piano.

As early as the late 60s, they were promoting a "rock and roll revival"...

To call what came decades later "rock and roll" and to lump it in as the same music that everyone could agree on is like putting Al Jarreau and Glen Miller together and calling it jazz. Good luck on finding a legion of Al Jarreau and Glen Miller fans.

The Doors, "Rock Is Dead" (unreleased, 1969): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 29, 2017 10:32

Back in 1973, a band of rock dinosaurs was touring Europe. Many believed that this would be their last tour because they were as old as 30. They obviously were no more protagonists of the youth culture, something they had been in the 1960's. Old men like them were running out of sex & drugs & rock'n'roll.

The rise and fall of the rock stars!

Guess which band it was...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 29, 2017 12:05

In reality, most rock stars have a shelf life of about 25 to 30 years. Even that is pushing the limits. When your audience is over 40 years old, then you become a nostalgia act. Fans grow up and become parents. So do those once 20 year old rock stars.

Elite athletes retire after 15 years, common people start to retire from their jobs after about 50 years old (30 or so years in the work force)

Realistically, the Stones were done by 1997, after the 1989 tour was their last great tour. That's about right on schedule 30 or so years, just like everyone else.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 29, 2017 15:28

35love
More large unused Olympic stadiums going to pot (not organic cannabis farming, but hey thumbs up)
Seriously, I get this very distinct feeling people are going/we are being geared to staying home- home deliv. from driverfree cars, work at home. Anticipating worsening bad air, not sure, but large massive crowd events, for music, wayside after our rock heroes and us, expire. Replaced by or if, not sure.

Life is cyclical...

Anyone ever been to Rome and seen the coliseum? Or a picture of it? Roman and Greek amphitheaters can be found all over southern Europe, N. Africa and the Middle East. I'm not sure about Asia but I'm thinking there are ruins of large ancient theaters to be found there as well. S. America as well.

My point? The elite have been keeping the masses entertained "en masse" for millennia. Unless they start prohibiting us from assembling (a very REAL possibility with the coming artificial intelligence and virtual reality), they will continue to heard the sheeple, like cattle, into large groups for the newest, latest, greatest event you could ever desire to be a part of for millennia to come. It may not be for Rock & Roll, but they'll find some sort of carrot to dangle.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 29, 2017 15:34

The future, maybe?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 29, 2017 16:21

mr_dja
35love

Life is cyclical...

Anyone ever been to Rome and seen the coliseum? Or a picture of it? Roman and Greek amphitheaters can be found all over southern Europe, N. Africa and the Middle East. I'm not sure about Asia but I'm thinking there are ruins of large ancient theaters to be found there as well. S. America as well.

My point? The elite have been keeping the masses entertained "en masse" for millennia. Unless they start prohibiting us from assembling (a very REAL possibility with the coming artificial intelligence and virtual reality), they will continue to heard the sheeple, like cattle, into large groups for the newest, latest, greatest event you could ever desire to be a part of for millennia to come. It may not be for Rock & Roll, but they'll find some sort of carrot to dangle.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, the sports will continue. Man = football.
ETA: instrument playing at a young age seems to be on the decline, from my view.
In the middle school years, school band time cuts into other academic studies, requires extra time and money, and the band teachers try and get the kids to switch instruments to round out their orchestra/ band, limited as it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 16:34 by 35love.

Date: December 29, 2017 16:34

35love
mr_dja
35love

Life is cyclical...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, the sports will continue. Man = football.

I'm thinking that it will be not only "competition" but general entertainment as well. What form that entertainment will take on? Now THAT's wide open for speculation. I'm thinking that there will always be some form of human-based live entertainment available. Specific sub-genres may not be as widely attended as they are now, but the overall form will persist until the powers that be decide it has outlived it's usefulness. I'd say that we'll just have to "wait and see" but I'm pretty sure that I won't live that long!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 29, 2017 16:51

35love

ETA: instrument playing at a young age seems to be on the decline, from my view.
In the middle school years, school band time cuts into other academic studies, requires extra time and money, and the band teachers try and get the kids to switch instruments to round out their orchestra/ band, limited as it is.

I'd say that, in certain communities, you'd be accurate in your view. Especially in "organized" educational formats.

However, I taught private music lessons for many years and there were always kids looking to get private instruction on "how to play" some sort of instrument or another. Many times, those same kids, not being able to find other kids to play with outside of school, would take up an additional "school band" instrument on their own just so they could have the opportunity to play with their friends at school. (I wish I had done that!)

Also, with so much research showing just how much music tuition aids in other aspects of learning, I think modern and future educators (and hopefully parents and legislators) will be using more and more music to help in the educations of future generations.

I try to remain optimistic even though current society doesn't always give me much hope. I find myself, more and more, having to "play the long game".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 29, 2017 17:13

35love

I hear what you're saying and completely agree with it but he tracked for the last 5 or 10 years how that could have been the case and wasn't. They weren't just relying on luck with stuff like a GNR reunion, even though obviously that stuff helps. As everyone has said, it is cyclical and I guess there always will be something to host despite my cynicism. It may just be in a different way. But they've continued to change with the game and done well with it. Livenation now owns more venues specifically for the reason to offset possible lacking attendance. My friend made me realize its much deeper than I realize and that its not just a thing that'll be done overnight, no matter how much of a surefire thing it seems like to you and me now. Its not a snow bluff IMO, but the main point is they aren't worried and I don't think thats him just telling me that. I firmly believe it and they obviously have a plan.

As for music in schools, I'm far removed from school but from what I see many kids are still playing instruments and picking it up, even moreso than when I was in school. I hesistate to say I have no idea why, because its hard to make a career out of that, but its good that they are because we need that sort of creativity and optimism with the music. But I actually think music is alive and well with younger people, the same way comedy is. Its just different and more "do it yourself" than it was 20 years ago. Kids rely more on Youtube and smaller spaces for comedy and music, whereas 20 years ago you were gearing up for clubs/theaters or television sets to get your big break. Today thats not the case and the parameters have changed. Its made it harder in many ways, but I've also found many younger people have adapted and aren't looking for the things that made people famous 20 years ago. They are quite content at their level because they find audiences to enjoy what they do naturally, not changing for a corporate machine. Your kiss of death these days is almost getting too famous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 17:35 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:02

ycagwywpmd
The future, maybe?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks, good article with lots of bizarre stuff going on.

Roy Orbison's "3D hologram world tour will come to life, alongside the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, on 8 April in Cardiff.
His son, Roy Orbison Jr, who hopes his dad's avatar will one day have a Las Vegas residency, says:
"We're really excited we got the opportunity to do this: the first big tour of a deceased artist with a hologram."

Wtf...bizarro creepy...why not just install it at Disneyland next to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride?

"There's a new editing programme where you can be working on the same song in real time in different cities.
You have to be creative with the tools you've got and, because of the digital technology, everybody can have a really powerful recording studio in your laptop."

Keith? Mick? Are you aware of this? New album could have been done long ago, and you don't even have to tolerate each other in person! winking smiley

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:34

Hairball
ycagwywpmd
The future, maybe?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks, good article with lots of bizarre stuff going on.

Wtf...bizarro creepy...why not just install it at Disneyland next to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride)

My sentiments exactly. I saw a theatre show called 'Dusty' in London a couple of years back. I love the music of Dusty Springfield and enjoyed the show, apart from the hologram - it was bizarre and creepy and freaked me out.
How could Roy Orbison's son want to tour with a hologram show of his dad?! I know, the money....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 05:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 1, 2018 19:57

GasLightStreet
Pietro

That's just ridiculous. It will always be around. Someone will always do something "good". Guitar, drums and bass is not a "format". Culturally there has been an enormous shift to laziness. That involves computers doing almost everything. Club music isn't exactly music. Something with deep sweeping bass noise and ridiculous beats is just sonic gibberish.

I don't believe I'm being ridiculous. I remember in the late 1960s whenever I went to a wedding they'd play Big Band music (Glen Miller and the like) and my parent's generation would all jump out of their chairs and start dancing. Us rock and rollers, meanwhile, would sit in our chairs rolling our eyes.

The same is true today about rock and roll. The oldsters start dancing and the youngsters roll their eyes. They like rap. My children think rock and roll is sloppy and pretentious.

A look at music in the 20th century proves that no type of music "will always be around." Big Band is gone. Who remembers America's 1950s infatuation with polka? Tastes change. And that's a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 19:59 by Pietro.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home