Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Monterey Pop Festival 50 Years Ago This Week
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 23, 2017 06:01

Regarding the Monkees: I don't think their management (Raybert, Bert Schneider and Bob Rafelson) would have let them. They made all the band's touring/concert decisions (meaning dates). Besides, they were booked in Los Angeles' RCA Studios that weekend. Dolenz and Tork went to Monterey anyway, but their producer, Chip Douglas, did some work that weekend in the studio. They were back at it, though, that Monday working on Daily Nightly which has a Moog on it that Dolenz bought in Monterey. "Hey, this contraption I bought in Monterey might work on this."

Also, the festival was filmed for a program that was supposed to be on ABC. The Monkees were NBC. Back then, you really didn't mix networks.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 23, 2017 08:16

tomk
They were back at it, though, that Monday working on Daily Nightly which has a Moog on it that Dolenz bought in Monterey. "Hey, this contraption I bought in Monterey might work on this."

"Psychedelic!"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 28, 2017 15:32

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 28, 2017 15:51

Another one from [montereypix.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 16:13 by Deltics.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: June 29, 2017 16:15

Someone talk about The Doors not being at Monterey, but they have been at The Fantasy Fair, where they had been filmed by a German crew who are passing through California to Mexico to film something about the Maya civilization smoking smiley. And so The Doors were the new hot group at the time, and they had filmed there and late in the same day at the Filmore.

[www.youtube.com]

Why they were not invited for Monterey? I don't no. Yet, it was not because of their popularity. True, Light My Fire was not yet at the top of the charts, although Break on Through had been long released as single, and they are causing sensation on many places that they are played.
In a month they played at the Dick Clark's show.

Date: June 29, 2017 21:40

To this day I am not sure what I think of Brian's style in clothes. Obviously, this is many years later, things have changed about 20 times already; but even within the confines of their times, I wonder if he just looked flat-out ridiculous. Take Hendrix: as psychedelic as they come, but bad to the bone. I mean, you can set a guitar on fire in his clothes. But Brian, with that can of Bud, on the bench...it's like he needs some bridesmaids behind him.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 29, 2017 23:01

Palace Revolution 2000
To this day I am not sure what I think of Brian's style in clothes. Obviously, this is many years later, things have changed about 20 times already; but even within the confines of their times, I wonder if he just looked flat-out ridiculous. Take Hendrix: as psychedelic as they come, but bad to the bone. I mean, you can set a guitar on fire in his clothes. But Brian, with that can of Bud, on the bench...it's like he needs some bridesmaids behind him.

I think that "confines" at the time were being broken left and right...and it was part of the scene to look outrageous. Maybe back then Don Rich would think Brian looked "ridiculous," but I see it now and it says "1967" to me.

You see musicians these days wearing the same basic black look that bands have sported for years and I think that the fashion (like the music) is going nowhere.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 30, 2017 00:51

The Sicilian
The Mothers of Invention were invited to perform, but their leader Frank Zappa declined because of his refusal to share the stage with any of the San Francisco bands who he felt were inferior.

HMN

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: June 30, 2017 13:29

Two good friends of mine attended the festival. They were friends with some of the west coast bands at the time and Jimi Hendrix. While attending the show they
brought their 16 MM camera with them and shot some great color footage including some nice behind the scene footage. There is some great footage (never seen shots of Brian Jones and Jimi Hendrix and other artist). One day hopefully they are planning to release it along with footage shot at Woodstock and a couple other festivals back then (1966-1970).

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 2, 2017 03:03

they should make a documentary.

plexi

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home