Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Sony Resumes Pressing Vinyl After 30 Year Hiatus
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 1, 2017 08:37

[fortune.com]

[www.npr.org]

thumbs up
I was surprised to see a carton stack of turntables at Ross (a discount department store chain in US) last Tuesday.
I checked the price for the hell of it tho I had donated an incredible collection to a cause I still think is worthwhile and was a good personal choice.
I'm talking enclosed speaker attached, like the old days when I had a really fine wooden victorla with excellent and large speakers from the fifties;
and also a wide series of really cheapie, almost toy, portable versions of these in the early 60's.
They were really super cheap and accessible; and bearing a variety of relative quality easily available.
I fell in love with LOTS of deeply great seminal music on a series of these; they sounded A OK, aespecially the stereo ones with onboard, or detachable speakers,
because those came in time too. I didn't look closely enough to see
if the cartons in these stacks contained little stereo or mono speakers;
stereo I would guess; it's another century after all.
Tho I STILL listen, and very frequently and preferably, to a quite very old; older than a some of you for sure, Sony Radio Cassette-Corder CFM-155
[images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Believe it or not I've actually gone from the mini-jack headphone 'out' right into recordable CD decks,
not sure of the conversion process but they honestly sound great and in true stereo.
Yep one speaker. I still have original official cassette releases of most of the first ten years of Stoneage, though I don't remember when those came around.
I swipe the head with alcohol on a Q-Tip like once every five years or something, haha; I don't know what they made them with but it's still going
very strong. I had a big meeting last week and everyone, including me,
had their cell phones memorializing it;
I also brought this baby; took four D batteries out of my cargo pants
and put them in right there. They were looking at me like I was from another century. Wait a minute...
I have a ton of old blanks and just popped one in; put it in the middle of the table, then hung way back for the rest of the meeting;
they were all staring at it, like afraid to talk or something haha

I had the 8 tracks too.
Those cassettes are clean as a whistle and older than dirt and they still sound perfect to me.
I hear every instrument with impact. On the radio too.
So if those turntables are mono, that is no way a deal-breaker for me at that price point.
I would expect this to mostly be either audiophile oriented good news,
or a real cheap & fun party way to get into it for kids
and also adults. I guess it will mostly be a novelty, or speicalized audience, but this is interesting news to me,.

They were cheap, Like waay under a hundred bucks USA, might have been very close to fifty or less actually!
So it's not surprising to the retail distrubtiors and other marketers in the know.
It was like 1970's there again for a moment there. I mean hell I will buy one and start collecting singles again if they make them!!! ho ho; bring it.
Well there will be a new Stones single this Summer and wouldn't it be a kick if it was a vinyl 45?
haha we'd have to buy one of those little space things to stick in the middle of that big hole they make in the USA single...
...I'm sure it's just 33 1/3 rpm albums they have in mind; but where's there's smoke, there could likely be some fire perhaps.
It's probably only a matter of time before some company invests in pressing some singles on a majorly distributed product to see how it goes. ?
Sure had this one in a hurry...then guess what happened after that?
[images.eil.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 09:17 by hopkins.

Re: OT: Sony Resumes Pressing Vinyl After 30 Year Hiatus
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 1, 2017 09:17

[www.youtube.com]
Stones and Lennon at the 0:19 mark.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2017 09:27

Amazing. thumbs upI still have every vinyl I've ever purchased since I was a kid - the first being Jackson 5 Greatest Hits in 1970, to my first Stones album Made in the Shade I bought in '75, and then thousands more bought before and after. When my older bro passed away, I acquired his entire collection as well - loads of vintage Reggae vinyl he collected in the mid-late '70s (he used to dj a college radio reggae show ever Sunday c.'80), along with original Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, etc. etc., etc. I also have several hundred 45's...including original Strawberry Field/Penny Lane my older bro bought in '67. I have a 12' x 12' shelving unit filled to the brim with vinyl and categorized at my studio, as well as a few stacks in storage that were bought at swap meets, thrift stores, etc. I've never been without a turntable, and the very first I one I had of my own was a plastic cheapy I got when my mom let me use stacks of her Blue Chip Stamps c.74. It played great, but preferred the quality of my older bro and sisters real deals, as well as the main family one in the den. Glad vinyl is making a true come back, but I've never been without them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 09:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 1, 2017 15:16

Toru A
[www.youtube.com]
Stones and Lennon at the 0:19 mark.

Thanks Toru! That was great. So good to see. Really good to see. Big LP art and all that; everything easy to just physically scroll through with your fingers, like I always used to do. I like it.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 1, 2017 22:24

Ya, amazing. Lots of heartache, including myself, of donating the LP's. One thing I did save is the artwork. Thank you for posting.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 2, 2017 00:44

Luckily I kept all my old vinyl, 700+, when I switched over to CD's in early 80's. I had a decent turntable at the time, Technices SL1700MKII, which was relegated to an empty shelf in my stereo cabinet and left untouched for over 35 years until a few years ago.

Finally decided to check out my old LP's so did some tuning up of the old turntable and it still plays flawlessly with the original Stanton 881s cartridge.

Also bought a Record Doctor vacuum record cleaning machine and even my old college era LP's sound fantastic now.

Love pouring a nice glass of wine and checking out the record sleeve artwork while spinning an LP or two.

They do sound great and bring back fond memories.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 2, 2017 19:30

Another interesting article on vinyl manufacturing.

[money.cnn.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home