Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile on Main Street: The Best Live Performances
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2017 12:42

Paste Magazine compiled what they consider the best Stones live performances of Exile tracks on their website, on which they can be heard. They could have included a Stones performance of Loving Cup, though (imho).

“Rocks Off”
Oct. 10, 1994 (Superdome, New Orleans)

“Happy”
Dec. 19, 1989 (Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, N.J.)

“Tumbling Dice”
Oct. 17, 1973 (Forest National, Brussels, Belgium)

Bonus: “Tumbling Dice” (video)
Dec. 18, 1981 (Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, Va.)

“Rip This Joint” (Jagger solo)
Feb. 9, 1993 (Webster Hall, NYC)

“Sweet Virginia” (soundcheck)
Nov. 24, 1994 (Sun Life Stadium, Miami)

“All Down The Line”
Nov. 7, 1981 (Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, N.J.)

“Stop Breaking Down” (soundcheck)
Nov. 24, 1994 (Sun Life Stadium, Miami)

Bonus video: “Loving Cup” (Phish cover)
Oct. 18, 1998 (Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, Calif.)

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Re: Exile on Main Street: The Best Live Performances
Date: June 9, 2017 12:49

Cool!

They missed quite a lot, though:

– Sweet Black Angel from Texas 1972
– The Let It Loose-rehearsal take
– The Montreux-rehearsal with Shake Your Hips
– Torn And Frayed from Toronto, or most preferrably from the Aragon (Vancouver 1972 as well).
– There are many good renditions of Shine A Light.
– Ventilator Blues from Vancouver 1972.

Some of their choices were rather odd, considering what's out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 13:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 17:59

LOLLOLLOL

any discussion of the merits of any live Exile track which is post-Taylor is funny.

Date: June 9, 2017 18:18

LongBeachArena72
LOLLOLLOL

any discussion of the merits of any live Exile track which is post-Taylor is funny.

He didn't play guitar on quite a lot of the tracks, and some of the live debuts didn't go so well in 1972, to put it mildly.

So why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 18:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 9, 2017 18:55

* "All Down the Line" was not at its best in 1981. Obviously you go to '72 / '73 first but then 1978 and Atlantic City 2006.

* "Happy" : The best version by far is on the unofficial CD from 1973 called "The Stars in the Sky,They Never Lie" on the Midnight Beat label. The next tour to look at is 1972.

* "Tumbling Dice" : They have this correct. Brussels. Followed by Detroit '78 and then after that by the mid-'90's versions.

* "Sweet Virginia" : The Miami soundcheck is definitely not the best. 1972 wins hands down but then more modern versions 2002 and onward are the runners-up. This is a song the current Stones can still pull-off very well,better than in 1994. That (understandably at this point) puts it in a rapidly shrinking category of songs.

* "Rip This Joint" : No Jagger solo for this one,please. Almost any Stones version,although there have been very few of them,especially since the 1975 tour ended,will beat the Jagger solo performance of this song.

Date: June 9, 2017 19:01

The 1995 RTJ-version was excellent, imo. The same punch, but more controlled singing - more melody.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:10

Setlist July 26th, 1972: MSG, New York City

Brown Sugar
Bitch *
Rocks Off *
Gimme Shelter
Happy *
Tumbling Dice *
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia *
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line *
Midnight Rambler
Bye Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint *
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

well a lot of them; and elsewhere this tour and '73...
certainly Mick's band does a mighty hot and fine RTJ in '94; (Edit in: i meant Webster Hall '93 like the list says; ez to get on youtube)
it's a bit the personal triumph for him, he holds up better than fine and those guitar players are seriously ripping and it's a pleasure; I know that performance over the years and have really enjoyed it many times...and certainly there are great performances here and there all over the place, the many tours; I have so many HG and other faves as most herer would I think; and I DO appreciate that this thread is calling for best performances of eoms LP; and that's only about 7 of 15 on the tour that promoted that album...still when I think of exiles on tour this more varied set in context, the build up and dimension of it, and what it picked from recent golden era past was all very part of the experience for me; but i am way grateful for this thread and will go through their picks one by one and enjoy them I'm sure. I'm an orig era fan but got me head tore off by 'rocks off' w lisa and the vegas crew more than once...so thanx for thread. and yeah it's a little strange that they'd sweep the originator of those parts and groove, mr. Taylor from most all of their list; but maybe that was the point? to bring some good performances from more recent and 'contemporary' tours over the now many decades...that being said, to miss the astounding thing that Rolling Stone Mick Taylor personally brings to the soup in person would be a shame for new generations of fans I think, I actually think they are WAY into the really pristine stuff already; the yungah folks I know. I've no dog in this race from a comparative critical perspective; just that when I think of that great LP I think of the tour that came w it in context everytime for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 19:49 by hopkins.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:22

DandelionPowderman
The 1995 RTJ-version was excellent, imo. The same punch, but more controlled singing - more melody.

That version really sucks balls. While I hate to admit it the Jagger solo version is miles better.

It's a good thing you're not a woman because Bill and the roadies would've banged you silly by now.

Date: June 9, 2017 19:26

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

That version really sucks balls. While I hate to admit it the Jagger solo version is miles better.

It's a good thing you're not a woman because Bill and the roadies would've banged you silly by now.

Get help.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:50

DandelionPowderman
Cool!

– Torn And Frayed from Toronto, or most preferrably from the Aragon (Vancouver 1972 as well).

I think this explains a lot. Most, if not all of the choices on their article are available through WV.

"Wolfgang's Vault announced today it acquired Paste Magazine, which is planning to relaunch a new digital subscription version of the magazine this March to coincide with the SXSW music conference."

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 20:03 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 9, 2017 20:11

wow Christiano, Great work detecting that! thumbs up getting into the sources and motivations and etc...thanx!

Date: June 9, 2017 20:15

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Cool!

I think this explains a lot. Most, if not all of the choices on their article are available through WV.

"Wolfgang's Vault announced today it acquired Paste Magazine, which is planning to relaunch a new digital subscription version of the magazine this March to coincide with the SXSW music conference."

[www.billboard.com]

Aha! Thanks, Cristiano thumbs up

Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: June 9, 2017 20:51

Date: June 9, 2017 21:11

Sacrilege using RTJ version of Jagger with a No Stones band. in 72/73 when this was part of that last mad dash at breakneck speed of JJF, RTJ and SFM this song was awesome. Back then Jagger even got all the words right.
Phish gets points for doing the whole album several times.
Surprised they didn't mention "Shine a Light", which was done well.
Ventilator Blues is a cut the Stones could have torn up on stage.

To me the weakest Live song from exile is one of the very best originals; one of the best Stones cuts, period: Rocks Off.
I've never understood why they didn't try to change key for the Live version. It's too low to deliver on live stage. In studio it worked wonderfully, with the double lead vocals. Live, Jagger is always searching somewhere to land. He's never really singing; more like tip toeing on thin ice.

Date: June 9, 2017 21:26

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
LOLLOLLOL

He didn't play guitar on quite a lot of the tracks, and some of the live debuts didn't go so well in 1972, to put it mildly.

So why not?

I'll take Philly Special, Welcome to New York, and Brussels Affair; you take the last 44 years. On "Rocks Off," "Happy," "Sweet Virginia," "Tumbling Dice," "Rip This Joint," and "All Down the Line," I'll win.

(To be fair, that Phish take on "Loving Cup," and the two Stones soundcheck tunes were very tasty.)

And it's not all about Taylor, imo. I've said before that although Taylor was brilliant in many ways at least part of his "magic" could be chalked up to coincidence: the rest of the band and the songwriting in general were in absolute top form during his tenure.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 9, 2017 21:27

The versions of Rocks Off from Cleveland 2002 is excellent and blows away the version here. Also, the actual performance of Sweet Virginia from the Miami show itself, rather than the soundcheck, is superior to my ears. I always wished we had a live album of THAT show actually, if for its magnificent version of Beat of Burden, if nothing else.

Date: June 9, 2017 21:47

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
LOLLOLLOL

So why not?

I'll take Philly Special, Welcome to New York, and Brussels Affair; you take the last 44 years. On "Rocks Off," "Happy," "Sweet Virginia," "Tumbling Dice," "Rip This Joint," and "All Down the Line," I'll win.

(To be fair, that Phish take on "Loving Cup," and the two Stones soundcheck tunes were very tasty.)

And it's not all about Taylor, imo. I've said before that although Taylor was brilliant in many ways at least part of his "magic" could be chalked up to coincidence: the rest of the band and the songwriting in general were in absolute top form during his tenure.

There are so many more to choose from (both from back then and newer versions).

It was you who brought Taylor into this smiling smiley

I prefer the 2002-versions of Loving Cup to the 1972-version, for instance. Same with the 1995 version of RTJ, although LA 75 is fabulous.

Rocks Off never was really good live, imo. In 1972, the melody was non-existent.

Nothing beats the 1972-version of Sweet Virginia, though.

Torn And Frayed was best in 2002 at the Aragon. Vancouver 1972 was a trainwreck.

Date: June 9, 2017 21:57

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
LOLLOLLOL

So why not?

I prefer the 2002-versions of Loving Cup to the 1972-version, for instance. Same with the 1995 version of RTJ, although LA 75 is fabulous.

Rocks Off never was really good live, imo. In 1972, the melody was non-existent.

Torn And Frayed was best in 2002 at the Aragon. Vancouver 1972 was a trainwreck.

I was restricting myself to the first six songs in the original post. (The "Stop Breaking Down" was a soundcheck and the "Loving Cup" wasn't even by the Stones.

Agree about "Rocks Off." For me, it's one of the many (almost all, really) Stones songs whose studio versions are never equalled onstage. It's just that I like it better live in 72 and 73 than ever since. Perth for example is just ridonkulous for energy alone.

"Torn and Frayed" wasn't on the list so I didn't consider it. I think it was only played once or twice in 72, right? (Like "Ventilator Blues" and "Sweet Black Angel"?)

Date: June 9, 2017 22:33

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
LOLLOLLOL

So why not?

I was restricting myself to the first six songs in the original post. (The "Stop Breaking Down" was a soundcheck and the "Loving Cup" wasn't even by the Stones.

Agree about "Rocks Off." For me, it's one of the many (almost all, really) Stones songs whose studio versions are never equalled onstage. It's just that I like it better live in 72 and 73 than ever since. Perth for example is just ridonkulous for energy alone.

"Torn and Frayed" wasn't on the list so I didn't consider it. I think it was only played once or twice in 72, right? (Like "Ventilator Blues" and "Sweet Black Angel"?)

My initial post was partly about all the versions they either forgot or the ones I found superior to their choices.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 9, 2017 22:48

Loving Cups with Jack white ok shine a light
Rocks off perth 73

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 10, 2017 15:46

Yep Rocks Off in perth 1973 is the only version i think works live.
Loving Cup Hyde Park 1969 count?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 10, 2017 17:52

I think the '73 LA version of Rocks Off is great. Richards playing some cool patented lead lines.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 11, 2017 00:14

TravelinMan
I think the '73 LA version of Rocks Off is great. Richards playing some cool patented lead lines.

Link anywhere please ?

Date: June 11, 2017 00:35

The post Taylor versions sound too meek I might conclude. Count in Jagger singing one octave down in the 9-tees/2003 then there's not much tension left, Rocks off indeed. Some good '72 '73 versions though. Keith playing great there, Taylor in a minor role. It's best on Exile.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: June 11, 2017 05:58

Rip This Joint Staples Center 2002 !!! tHE bEST!

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:46

Rocks off 1975 without horn section... a mess love it!

Date: June 19, 2017 12:51

Eleanor Rigby
Yep Rocks Off in perth 1973 is the only version i think works live.
Loving Cup Hyde Park 1969 count?

I'd say Philly 1972 worked quite well, too.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:56

This is why i Think the VooDoo Lounger tour was great They mixed EOMS with great songs such as I go Wild, Sparks will Fly, etc.. Great strategy!!! A great tour period.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:57

I think Loving Cup in Perth 2014 was great too.

And Rocks Off at Pinkpop was sloppy as hell but it rocked, judging from youtube videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 12:59 by MonkeyMan2000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home