Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
All The Songs
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 17, 2016 10:50

New book that Amazon just emailed me about. Looks interesting.

Rod

Re: All The Songs
Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:59

The preview at amazon looks interesting.

Date: October 28, 2016 01:02

This one? [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 01:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 28, 2016 01:12

Haha, a link would be nice, right?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 28, 2016 02:33

Wow, very cool...thanks, bitusa and DP. smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2016 04:06

That does look very well done. Got a link on that one too, but only now with the 'Look Inside' - yes a must have.
That pic of Dick Rowe - he indeed looks like a massive tool. Ha.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 28, 2016 12:18

Shouldn't authors & publishers wait with producing books like these, untill the Stones stop recording?? Just sayin'...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 28, 2016 14:20

RoughJusticeOnYa
Shouldn't authors & publishers wait with producing books like these, untill the Stones stop recording?? Just sayin'...

No - this way they can sell you a new updated edition x years down the line.

Looks interesting...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 28, 2016 16:38

Isn't this the kind of book we would be able to produce by bundling all Renée's track talks?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: October 28, 2016 16:47

marcovandereijk
Isn't this the kind of book we would be able to produce by bundling all Renée's track talks?

Unfortunately, there are lots of the songs they haven't commented on. So I'm very interested in knowing how this book will turn out, especially regarding those songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:13

Looks good ... gotta have ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:17

Looks interesting. Here's a few images that are previewed on amazon<dot>com.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:24

MT on bkg vox on iorr?
Is that true?

Date: October 28, 2016 21:09

They don't know that Keith played the lead guitar on Fancy Man Blues confused smiley

Hm, that makes me skeptical, but I'll probably buy it anyway...

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 29, 2016 05:50

I purchased this and have enjoyed it so far. The book even lists misstakes that the band makes and where at in the song. Rough and raw is the only way to play. I made my way to Beggars Banquet so far. There are a few things I found interesting but don't want to spoil anything yet until everyone who is planning on reading this has done so. Every song is catalogued and gets at least one whole page and sometimes more. Even the lesser know songs. This book is probably the most in depth sessionograpgy of the Stones to date. I'm sure the authors don't get everything right but no one ever will. Guitar weaving does that. There are a few things I was pleased to see concerning Brian Jones. And that is playing standard solos in addition to his slide. I won't comment on what songs but it is nice to see him get credit. The authors even comment on what equipment was used for every song as well. There are a lot of ? marks in which means the authors don't know but they did speculate at times. So far I'd recommend this if you are curious about who played what and with what. One last thing. The authors follow the British release chronology of LP's, EP's and singles.

Date: October 29, 2016 07:52

ovalvox
I purchased this and have enjoyed it so far. The book even lists misstakes that the band makes and where at in the song. Rough and raw is the only way to play. I made my way to Beggars Banquet so far. There are a few things I found interesting but don't want to spoil anything yet until everyone who is planning on reading this has done so. Every song is catalogued and gets at least one whole page and sometimes more. Even the lesser know songs. This book is probably the most in depth sessionograpgy of the Stones to date. I'm sure the authors don't get everything right but no one ever will. Guitar weaving does that. There are a few things I was pleased to see concerning Brian Jones. And that is playing standard solos in addition to his slide. I won't comment on what songs but it is nice to see him get credit. The authors even comment on what equipment was used for every song as well. There are a lot of ? marks in which means the authors don't know but they did speculate at times. So far I'd recommend this if you are curious about who played what and with what. One last thing. The authors follow the British release chronology of LP's, EP's and singles.

Sounds cool.

BTW, How do you know that the Brian solo credits are correct, when they put question marks on basic stuff?

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 29, 2016 17:34

DandelionPowderman
ovalvox

Sounds cool.

BTW, How do you know that the Brian solo credits are correct, when they put question marks on basic stuff?

Becuase where he got credit for these solos there were no ? marks. And the authors sounded pretty convinced offering other info as proof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 17:36 by ovalvox.

Date: October 29, 2016 19:29

ovalvox
DandelionPowderman
ovalvox

Sounds cool.

Becuase where he got credit for these solos there were no ? marks. And the authors sounded pretty convinced offering other info as proof.

I hope you're right, but I have my doubts.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 29, 2016 20:31

i wonder.. how is it better than martin elliotts book, the complete recordings??
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 20:31 by corriecas.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:42

Elliott's book is great - but how much of it is it accurate? Not all of it. This book is obviously similar.

Nothing has been done like that fantastic Beatles recording sessions book. That thing is brilliant.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:50

GasLightStreet
Elliott's book is great - but how much of it is it accurate? Not all of it. This book is obviously similar.

Nothing has been done like that fantastic Beatles recording sessions book. That thing is brilliant.

yeah, but i am not into the Beatles, i LOVE the Stones.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:58

That's too bad! The Beatles are fantastic!

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: October 31, 2016 17:39

Every official song released........no quite

From the Rolling Stones "NOW" album, "Surprise, Surprise" didn't get a full page write-up.

Although the song is mentioned twice within the book, somehow this song was missed.

Rather unfortunate.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 31, 2016 17:57

a lot of pages, but it looks like it will be a pretty good read. However, I'll wait for my library copy.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 31, 2016 21:55

ive always wondered how many songs the stones ever recorded or released, whether officially or unofficialy, written by stones or covers, bootlegs, or non bootlegs.

does anyone have an idea of all those stats.

Date: November 1, 2016 10:03

GasLightStreet

Yes GLS, I ve read that one cover to cover 2 or 3 times. Beatles lasted only 7-8 years, always in same studio with pretty much the same core group. So their stuff is way easier to catalog. Plus only very few session musicians.
I have always respected Elliott's books, but they are not very good. They are cut and paste job.
I think John Perry and Janovitz did great books on Stones songs. With Stones songs it is better to maybe focus on one album, or on a section. And then editorialize.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 1, 2016 11:02

SFTD
Every official song released........no quite

From the Rolling Stones "NOW" album, "Surprise, Surprise" didn't get a full page write-up.

Although the song is mentioned twice within the book, somehow this song was missed.

Rather unfortunate.

Are you talking about the book on topic here, "All The Songs"?
Or the one from this Elliot fellow that got mentioned here?

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: November 1, 2016 16:35

I'm talking about " ALL THE SONGS ".

I should mention that there are other songs missing from the book; for example, CRACKIN UP and MANNISH BOY from Love You Live among some other lesser known song titles.

However; despite the occasional missed song, this book is a keeper.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 1, 2016 17:22

DandelionPowderman
They don't know that Keith played the lead guitar on Fancy Man Blues confused smiley

How would they know that? Is it well documented, would it be on any resource they would be checking? It wasn't an album track so I am guessing their info on this track was limited.

Looks like a great book, I'll have to request it for an xmas gift.

Date: November 1, 2016 17:28

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

How would they know that? Is it well documented, would it be on any resource they would be checking? It wasn't an album track so I am guessing their info on this track was limited.

Looks like a great book, I'll have to request it for an xmas gift.

Firstly, writing a book like this without a good ear is a really hard project.

Secondly, just about every Stones site has Keith listed as lead guitarist on this track.

So, the combination of knowing what they are doing (that includes the ability to distinguish Ronnie's and Keith's styles) and proper research would help them avoid mistakes like this one.

That said, I'm looking forward to reading the book as well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home