Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bootleg Track Talk: A Different Kind
Date: May 26, 2017 13:26

A Different Kind:

[www.youtube.com]

Recording date(s):

[941] 1977-10-10 Pathé Marconi Studios, Boulogne Billancourt, France

Available on the following bootleg(s):

[738] More Fast Numbers 06:04 DOG n CAT Records
[794] Accidents Will Happen 06:03 A Vinyl Gang Product
[1259] REGGAE'N'ROLL 2 05:45 Triumvirat
[1284] THE PARIS REHEARSALS 06:07 DOG n CAT RECORDS
[1457] GIRLS, PILLS & POWDERS 06:03 Pignose Records
[1573] SOME TRAX I 06:23 No Label
[1574] SOME TRAX II 05:45 No Label
[1648] ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN 06:01 Honeysuckle Productions
[1653] ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN (CLAUDINE) 06:02 Dragoman Sunbird
[1670] SPEND IT SO FAST 06:14 Whom Records
[1700] THE PARIS REHEARSALS 06:06 EVA Records
[1739] PARIS REHEARSALS 06:19 Gimme Shelter Music
[1813] PLACE PIGALLE 03:39 Gold records
[2329] Place Pigalle 5/6 05:28 Rabbit Records
[2438] ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN (CLAUDINE) 05:53 Dragoman Sunbird
[2703] More Fast Numbers 06:06 REBEL YELL FACTORY
[2896] Paris Outtakes 06:03 Condor Records Worldwide

Thanks to dbboots.com for the info thumbs up

What are your thoughts on this track?

Re: Bootleg Track Talk: A Different Kind
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 26, 2017 13:34

Great unique ballad if I remember correctly. Not really finished, but should have been included on the SG rarities CD (along with I Need You, Fiji Jim).

Date: May 26, 2017 13:37

Agreed. It's very melodic to be stemming from those sessions. Very nice one indeed. A mid-tempo country-tinged melodic pop-rocker might be a fair description of the music, if I should try to label it as anything..

Date: May 26, 2017 16:31

I think I will listen to Paris Rehearsals DAC once again later today. What a great release with many versions missing on most 77/78 studio bootlegs.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 26, 2017 17:34

Like so many out takes I usually skim through them. But after playing this through I believe there's a full song minus proper vocals. And a pretty good one at that. They must have a lot of these in the archives.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 26, 2017 17:40

DandelionPowderman
Bootleg Track Talk

Awesome, thanks, was hoping the 'talk' would continue.

"very melodic" is a good description, it could have turned into a pretty good track if worked on more, but as it is, it remains an okay bootleg track.

Date: May 26, 2017 22:08

GREAT idea for a long lasting thread sequence.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 26, 2017 23:48

Palace Revolution 2000

Indeed! thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 27, 2017 00:17

Palace Revolution 2000

thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2017 00:50

Good melancholic backing track. One of the first SG outtakes out of the gate. Mislabeled as "Everlasting (is) My Love" for years if memory serves. At least until the Paris Results boot came out i 1993 with the real Everlasting.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2017 00:54

A damn fine tune, and a damn shame it was never released. I'd take this single tune over most (maybe even all?) entire albums from the latter-day post '83 period.
There's some shades of Neil Young, maybe a bit of CCR, along with a variety of other country-esque vibes, yet still Stonesy through and through.
In fact while listening now, I hear some similarities to Neil's From Hank to Hendrix tune which was recorded long after in 1992 - maybe Neil had the bootleg and "borrowed" from it?

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 27, 2017 11:31

gotdablouse
Good melancholic backing track. One of the first SG outtakes out of the gate. Mislabeled as "Everlasting (is) My Love" for years if memory serves. At least until the Paris Results boot came out i 1993 with the real Everlasting.

I wonder if A Different Kind is the real title for this nice little gem.
A title like this is not listed on the list of recorded tracks for Some Girls (displayed at Exhibitionism).

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-27 11:31 by NeddieFlanders.

Date: May 27, 2017 11:37

NeddieFlanders
gotdablouse

A title like this is not listed on the list of recorded tracks for Some Girls (displayed at Exhibitionism).

N

The song titles listed doesn't fit.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 27, 2017 11:46

Monsoon Ragoon
NeddieFlanders
gotdablouse

N

The song titles listed doesn't fit.

Judging from the feeling and vocal mix of the song - Distant Melody would make sense...

N

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 27, 2017 12:31

Come on. Nothing special. "Wow, they play four chords in a row..."...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 27, 2017 12:57

either prequel or sequel to Beast o' Burden.
So something I can do without...
Because we háve Beast o' Burden.

But I do love this (kinda) thread(-s)!
Thx for starting it.

Date: May 27, 2017 13:32

I forgot to comment on the song.
Obviously unfinished. But a lot more defined than many other outtakes, with titles. There's structure, dynamics; and Jagger pretty much has developed a basic melody.
Seems during those mega 77-78 sessions they had a few set-ups: the frantic Punk style songs, usually with 3 guitars. This is another line-up, that brought out the melodic songs; some minor chords, arpeggios, and Ronnie's pedal steel.
In all these cuts we are reminded how vital Bill Wyman was on that Bass. That side of the Stones has been MIA.

Date: May 27, 2017 18:15

Just listening. A Different Kind is great, but half-finished at best. The lyrics were not yet ready. "Distant Melody' could really be a reworked version with (totally) different and more lyrics (see Keep Up Blues, Don't Be A Stranger), but we don't know it yet. Maybe Videojames knows more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-28 10:40 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 27, 2017 18:34

Mine is probably a minority opinion here but with the exception of "Hillside Blues" I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album. Many of them are fun and interesting—which is why this thread is cool. They can be revealing of the band at whatever moment in time they were essayed ("Keep It Cool," e.g.) ... but I think the Stones have done a pretty good job over the years of judging what should be 'finished' and released, and what can stay in the archives.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 27, 2017 18:44

Found this link to bootlegs.

[dbboots.com]

Amazing content of bootlegs

Date: May 27, 2017 19:00

mtaylor

[dbboots.com]

But with many errors.

Date: May 27, 2017 21:13

mtaylor

[dbboots.com]

smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2017 21:17

LongBeachArena72
Mine is probably a minority opinion here but with the exception of "Hillside Blues" I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album. Many of them are fun and interesting—which is why this thread is cool. They can be revealing of the band at whatever moment in time they were essayed ("Keep It Cool," e.g.) ... but I think the Stones have done a pretty good job over the years of judging what should be 'finished' and released, and what can stay in the archives.

What about Still A Fool? I'm A Country Boy? Gold-Painted Nails?

There are some good ones out there..

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 27, 2017 21:25

I kinda hear that Faraway Eyes could have come out of this.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 28, 2017 03:35

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

What about Still A Fool? I'm A Country Boy? Gold-Painted Nails?

There are some good ones out there..

Those are tasty. Hadn't heard any of them—in fact, I believe the only studio bootlegs I've ever heard have been referrals from this board over the last few years.

"Still a Fool:" Sweet cover. I assume that's Brian on slide and Mick on harp? It's got a nasty thump alright ... but wouldn't have taken it over any of the ten tracks on Beggars Banquet, or any of the Big 4, for that matter. Also, why is Nicky so damn good on almost everything?

"And I Was a Country Boy:" Not really a song, of course, Nice groove, echoes of "Stray Cat Blues," and "Let It Bleed" to my ears. Vintage Charlie, too. But wouldn't kick anything off the Big 4 to fit this on an official release.

"Gold Painted Nails:" nice harp and that organ is crazy! Much rootsier than most of what else was being worked on at this time for Their Satanic Majesties Request, of course. But again, more of a sketch, a groove. Could it have been built into something worthy of inclusion on any of the studio records? Maybe. Clearly, they didn't seem to think so.

I guess the main thing it comes down to with many of these is not so much are the tracks worthy of release *as is* but rather what could they have been had they been finished/polished/outfitted with vocals/etc. Is the kernel of what's there promising enough that it should have been pursued? I guess that's all personal opinion ... plus it takes a musician rather than an aficionado like me to really determine this kind of potential,

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 28, 2017 04:30

A favorite of mine.

Date: May 28, 2017 13:42

LongBeachArena72

This is kind of the argument that has no beginning or end. Because we can easily say that the reason those tunes don't sound that good yet, is because they have not been polished, and finished. ( Not every Blues jam of course)
I would say that every released Stones song, would sound just like one of these as an unmastered outtake level.
The tricky part would be to know which ones to hone in on, and continue to work on.
It is pretty amazing though how much is left along the roadside with them. Especially for 'Some Girls', or for 'Voodoo' they were incredibly prolific. Take the Beatles or Springsteen; there are very little leftovers.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 28, 2017 13:55

hi,

does anyone know which chords ?

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 28, 2017 14:33

thomashanck
hi,

does anyone know which chords ?

I don't have a guitar with me, but I think it's basically something like:

E - Abm - A B E - x2
E - Abm - A - F#m -
Dbm - D A E -
D A E -

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 28, 2017 15:14

very nice...Mick should finnish this one.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home