Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2017 06:02

Jah Paul
Hairball
Jah Paul
When I last saw TP in 2014, I hadn't seen him in about ten years...so for me everything was pretty fresh, including eight songs I'd never heard live before. In checking out the opening night setlist, there are eight songs different from 2014, including a few I haven't heard for years...so I wouldn't be disappointed if I wanted to see him this time around.

Out of curiosity wondering why you would choose not to see him again. Maybe too soon? Or maybe you're still on the fence about seeing him again? Or maybe seeing him once every 10 years is enough?
If it were a band or artist I admired and/or loved (Stones and Dylan for example), I would jump at the chance of seeing them after a two year period. That said, there are other bands/artists whose music I like that seeing them just once probably would have been enough (Paul McCartney and The Eagles for example).

After nearly 35 years of attending concerts, I've seen pretty much all of my favorites several times over...so I'm to the point where it comes down to venue/seats/convenience. For example, after seeing Paul McCartney many times in indoor venues with good seats (last time at Staples Center), I didn't feel compelled to see him again at Dodger Stadium from far away. Same with Fleetwood Mac...saw them at The Forum in 2014, but not interested in Dodger Stadium this year, although I would consider The Forum or Honda Center.

As for TP, saw him many times from the '80s until 2002, then missed him for a few tours due to venues and other reasons...really enjoyed The Forum show in 2014, but it looks like he's only playing the new Arroyo Seco festival locally for me, so I'll be passing on it unless he adds an arena date.

Long answer, I know. I suppose it's just me getting older - I don't run out and see everyone like I used to, and I am keenly aware the time is coming soon where my favorites won't be touring anymore...but at least I have the memories.

Makes sense - that Arroyo Seco festival/show might be a crowded mess - thought he might be playing at an arena around here. Also the Dodger stadium fest w/Fleetwood Mac is very expensive, and will also be a crowded mess. I also saw them a couple times at the Forum the last couple of years (both excellent!), and while I'd happily see them again there, there's no way I'll be trapped at Dodger stadium.

ps - For what it's worth, the McCartney show at Dodger stadium was pretty good - better than when I saw him at MGM arena in Vegas about 10 years ago.
The more recent Desert Trip shows were virtually identical to Dodger stadium, and I could have lived without them (which I did for weekend two as I left early during his set). smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 06:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: April 24, 2017 20:52

potus43
Saw him 2 years ago found him surprisingly boring/bland
shocked

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 24, 2017 23:12

Why?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 24, 2017 23:43

I saw Tom's Mudcrutch concert last year and loved it. No Heartbreaker stuff but
a cool late Byrds song was in the set. Tom played Bass the whole show.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 4, 2017 16:35

Tom Petty at Red Rocks 5/29 Memorial Day
Anyone going?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 4, 2017 17:30

Petty nowadays is no flash, just good solid playing. He does seem to have static set lists, unless you see him at one of his residency shows. But the band is amazing and sonically it is a treat! I would love to see him on this tour, but it is expensive! And I am taking some time off work so have to watch the outgoing expenses.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 5, 2017 18:28

LeonidP
Kurt
They used to be an absolute cooker of a live band, but something seemed to change a few years back...

Yes! It was the Traveling Wilburys. That was a great project, but ever since, Petty tried to become Dylan, but not really successful at it, if you ask me. Most of his new singles all had that same feel (not that the songs weren't decent, but most plodded along and certainly weren't great). That's my take ...

*Edit* Oh, and as for Dylan, from what I understand -- I haven't seen him but a friend did a few years ago -- he only plays piano in concert these days. I'll pass on that.

Maybe more specifically when he began with Jeff Lynne.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: May 6, 2017 16:16

Love Petty and have seen him live many times but the setlist for this new tour is horrible. Mostly from his later years and very little from his first 4-5 albums which are the best ones

OT Cheap(er) Tom Petty Hyde park tickets released
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 30, 2017 11:26

As of just now Double 8 is doing Diamond Circle at £195 (face value £265). Have used them for Stones tickets and found them OK, but obviously as with all re-sellers caveat emptor.They have an office on the Charing Cross Road so you can pick up your tickets when you pay. www.double8tickets.com and look for the Tom Petty logo.

Re: OT Cheap(er) Tom Petty Hyde park tickets released
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 1, 2017 00:34

johnnythunders
As of just now Double 8 is doing Diamond Circle at £195 (face value £265). Have used them for Stones tickets and found them OK, but obviously as with all re-sellers caveat emptor.They have an office on the Charing Cross Road so you can pick up your tickets when you pay. www.double8tickets.com and look for the Tom Petty logo.

I was wondering when this was going to happen ......... £265 to see Tom Petty ??? F**k off !! For Diamond Circle in Hyde Park - £150 is more like it ! I'll wait ......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 1, 2017 00:49

I looked at Double8tickets earlier tonight. It's the Terrace that's £195. Diamond Circle is £225 - they had 10 when I looked earlier. Now they have 8. I'm hanging out for a further price drop, especially as Diamond Circle is still available on the official ticket sites.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 1, 2017 10:40

Beast
I looked at Double8tickets earlier tonight. It's the Terrace that's £195. Diamond Circle is £225 - they had 10 when I looked earlier. Now they have 8. I'm hanging out for a further price drop, especially as Diamond Circle is still available on the official ticket sites.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 1, 2017 14:29

Setlist whiner, Guilty here also. I have been waiting and watching for ticket and price drops for Petty in Boston. Playing two nights coming up soon. I have been checking his setlists every night average 19 songs and I have yet to see any deviation or mixing it up.

There are at least Five songs I hate that he is playing so that brings my fun down to 14 songs and there are four of my all time Petty favorites that he is not playing, The Waiting, Don't do me like that, Change of Heart, and I need to know.
I'm going to go but I am paying the very least amount of money as possible.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2017 17:54

Go on the day and pay half price. I always do and did that for the Stones at Hyde Park. And still got near the front!

Date: July 1, 2017 19:36

Judging from activity on Tom Petty Nation (their iorr.org) the Diamond Circle is going to be largely American...

Date: July 2, 2017 12:36

..and they are bringing flags. On long sticks. Like at Glastonbury...

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 2, 2017 13:42

Sweet next Sunday gonna be a good un
\m/

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 2, 2017 23:22

virgil
Setlist whiner, Guilty here also. I have been waiting and watching for ticket and price drops for Petty in Boston. Playing two nights coming up soon. I have been checking his setlists every night average 19 songs and I have yet to see any deviation or mixing it up.

There are at least Five songs I hate that he is playing so that brings my fun down to 14 songs and there are four of my all time Petty favorites that he is not playing, The Waiting, Don't do me like that, Change of Heart, and I need to know.

Its just kinda something you have to accept. I'm not a fan either, but I always knew I'd see him once and this just happened to be the tour. I actually like his newer albums, but am happy I saw this tour cause if I'm only going once I'd rather see a 40th retrospective to see some deep cuts in place of new album cuts. Its too bad, cause I'd go a number of more times if he switched the sets. But he just doesn't when he plays arenas. So many amazing songs not being played here: The Waiting, Here Comes My Girl, Even The Losers, Don't Do Me Like That, Insider, Into The Great Wide Open, A Woman In Love, Saving Grace. And plenty of other deep cuts, but some solid hits not being played in place of Mary Jane's Last Dance and other he plays EVERY tour. Overall its a solid setlist, I loved the show I saw two weeks ago, but wish he changed the set more for having 40 years and his prices. There's so much more I'd love to see that I simply have to accept I won't.

Date: July 5, 2017 06:38

virgil

yeah I think he has only played 29 different songs this tour. that's not a lot of variation.

Date: July 5, 2017 09:23

keefriffhard4life
virgil

yeah I think he has only played 29 different songs this tour. that's not a lot of variation.

Actually just 26. 3 songs he played at his MusiCares show but not on this new tour.

Date: July 5, 2017 09:37

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
virgil

thanks for the info

Actually just 26. 3 songs he played at his MusiCares show but not on this new tour.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 5, 2017 11:02

Looking forward to Sunday in Hyde Park, going to be a great day. Quite a few IORRians going.

Satisfied since 1976

Re: OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Date: July 5, 2017 12:09

Double8 now have Diamond Circle at £175 and Gold Circle at £72.50...

Date: July 5, 2017 16:43

Munichhilton
Tom is greatness...there is no place where he is out of his league. He's got so many great originals and he sings Heart of Stone and For What It's Worth better than the originals...go tommy go...

I agree with the first part but,he DOES NOT sing "Heart of Stone" better than the originals (on the very rare occasions when the originals decide to sing it).

I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers twice. Once around ten years ago and then again a couple of years later. The set lists were too similar for my liking. Some differences but no "Rebels" , "I Need to Know" or "The Waiting" at either concert.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 5, 2017 21:24

keefriffhard4life
virgil

At last count, Midnight Oil had played 89 different songs on their current tour!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 12:16 by bonddm.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 5, 2017 21:46

I saw Tom and the Heartbreakers in 2001...it was a very enjoyable show, but it wasn't something I needed to see multiple times. Sounds like a lot of people are a bit let down by this current run.

Date: July 5, 2017 22:42

keefriff99
I saw Tom and the Heartbreakers in 2001...it was a very enjoyable show, but it wasn't something I needed to see multiple times. Sounds like a lot of people are a bit let down by this current run.

I think only let down if you've seen him before and hoped for this "40th" run he'd dig a little deeper, as he frequently promises but this time it actually made sense with no new album. As someone like me that saw it for the first time, I loved it, but like you don't feel compelled to go again. And wouldn't have gone again had I seen him anywhere in the last 20 years cause the setlist and price just doesn't warrant it, despite how great Tom and the band are.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 6, 2017 09:51

bonddm
keefriffhard4life
virgil

At last count, Midnight Oil had played 89 different songs on their current tour!

The Oils are taking the Cure approach. The Cure probably did over 90 songs last tour & were changing the set nightly. Makes for an interesting tour. I just listened to a tape of the Oils in Sweden on Saturday. It was a very different show from what I saw in May. Equally as good!

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: July 6, 2017 12:36

Not my best concert videos but here is the conclusion to the show at Wrigley Field last week. I thought they were great.
[www.youtube.com]

[
www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: July 6, 2017 19:29

Looking forward to Hyde Park this Sunday evening should be great.
Thanks TP&TH for 40 years of amazing music.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home