Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:33

wonderboy
Great back in the day, I think he lost quite a bit when drummer Stan Lynch left.

Totally disagree. Steve Ferrone is such a good rock drummer

Re: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:36

black n blue
wonderboy
Great back in the day, I think he lost quite a bit when drummer Stan Lynch left.

Totally disagree. Steve Ferrone is such a good rock drummer
They're both fantastic drummers, but I really love Lynch's work with Tom.

Re: OT Cheap(er) Tom Petty Hyde park tickets released
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:42

virgil
. . . and there are four of my all time Petty favorites that he is not playing, The Waiting, Don't do me like that, Change of Heart, and I need to know.

Has he played "The Waiting" since Stan Lynch left? Tom has complained that no one else can do that song like Stan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:53

DeanGoodman
virgil
. . . and there are four of my all time Petty favorites that he is not playing, The Waiting, Don't do me like that, Change of Heart, and I need to know.

Has he played "The Waiting" since Stan Lynch left? Tom has complained that no one else can do that song like Stan.

He has although I don't think he's done it in a decade. Could be wrong, but definitely did it all the time with Steve.

Both great drummers. Personally, I don't hear the differences. I get it that Stan is kind of the sloppy, excellent but not virtuoso session musician type guys that can just fit anything, whereas thats what Ferrone is. But both equally great and I like that it wasn't a bunch of guys, it was just one replacement who's now been there. I don't think there's anything he doesn't play cause of Stan though. He just always rotates his hits in every few years and never plays all of them. He's got like 15-20 legitamately huge hits that COULD be played every night, but he usually only plays like 9-11 of them. Which is smart, although if you only want to see him once its slightly annoying you'll never get a show with EVERYTHING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 05:57 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2017 12:09

johnnythunders
As of just now Double 8 is doing Diamond Circle at £195 (face value £265). Have used them for Stones tickets and found them OK, but obviously as with all re-sellers caveat emptor.They have an office on the Charing Cross Road so you can pick up your tickets when you pay. www.double8tickets.com and look for the Tom Petty logo.

Brilliant, just got myself Diamond Circle ticket for £175 from Double8 ... thanks for the tip Johnny Thunders !! thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 7, 2017 13:08

Ditto. Now we just need Keith to help out by waving his rain stick in the direction of Hyde Park.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 7, 2017 13:23

Forecast has changed now, no rain !!!!

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2017 14:12

Tickets for Hyde Park going for far less than face value on several sites now. Just seen a GA one for £50.

Date: July 7, 2017 16:40

Silver Dagger
Tickets for Hyde Park going for far less than face value on several sites now. Just seen a GA one for £50.

Are you going SD? We are planning to go along to the park and have a picnic outside the actual venue....can still hear the music....

Date: July 7, 2017 18:55

Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger

Are you going SD? We are planning to go along to the park and have a picnic outside the actual venue....can still hear the music....

Yes, going but want to see the show. I'll bell you on the day before I arrive Mr MOWAT.

Date: July 7, 2017 19:12

Silver Dagger
Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger

Yes, going but want to see the show. I'll bell you on the day before I arrive Mr MOWAT.

You got it......

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 9, 2017 12:56

paulywaul
johnnythunders
As of just now Double 8 is doing Diamond Circle at £195 (face value £265). Have used them for Stones tickets and found them OK, but obviously as with all re-sellers caveat emptor.They have an office on the Charing Cross Road so you can pick up your tickets when you pay. www.double8tickets.com and look for the Tom Petty logo.

Brilliant, just got myself Diamond Circle ticket for £175 from Double8 ... thanks for the tip Johnny Thunders !! thumbs up

See you there in the "mosh pit" hombre.
l was gonna opt for that buy... until a gig mate gave me one for free.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-09 12:59 by SonicDreamer.

Date: July 9, 2017 15:04

paulywaul
johnnythunders

Just got VIP Summer Garden ticket for £65. See you at the bar. Give me a buzz in about 2 hours Pauly.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 10, 2017 01:49

Good show but not great....I wasn't blown away and for the money I paid I expected a cracker of a show. It was good but I wasn't blown away like at a stones show...

Date: July 10, 2017 02:33

1st time I've seen Tom Petty so no other gigs to compare with, but I thought it was a fantastic gig, exceeded my expectations to be honest.

Satisfied since 1976

Date: July 10, 2017 02:40

First time I've seen Tom Petty too and I also thought it was brilliant. "Exceeded my expectations" were my exact words after the gig!

Date: July 10, 2017 03:04

See you in Paris !!!

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2017 03:12

Always loved the float and freedom of Tom's - Wasted Life from the old After Dark album ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 09:45

Fantastic show. Almost every song was a bona fide classic and there were many albums he didn't even touch. So glad he dipped several times into Wildflowers which I think is his masterpiece.

Date: July 10, 2017 12:01

chriseganstar
1st time I've seen Tom Petty so no other gigs to compare with, but I thought it was a fantastic gig, exceeded my expectations to be honest.

I would completely agree, he was fantastic. A great gig.

And I have to say, things appear to have moved on in a very good way with all matters "British Summertime in Hyde Park" since the Stones played there in 2013. The whole VIP garden/bar area thing was an enormous improvement over what it was in 2013, and again since the WHO headlined a couple of years ago. It made for a really great day, not to mention that the notoriously unreliable British weather came good on the day itself - despite a crap forecast earlier in the week.

So glad I've finally seen TP & the Heartbreakers cool smiley

Date: July 10, 2017 12:10

Silver Dagger
paulywaul
johnnythunders

Just got VIP Summer Garden ticket for £65. See you at the bar. Give me a buzz in about 2 hours Pauly.

Sorry we missed each other Mike, drat ! Beast & I successfully met up with Mr Jimmy, Nick B, SonicDreamer ....... a great little IORR get-together at a Tom Petty gig !! cool smiley

Date: July 10, 2017 12:12

The other revelation for me was Stevie Nicks with Waddy Wachtel on guitar, that was fabulous.

All in all, a great "British Summertime' event !! cool smiley thumbs up

Date: July 10, 2017 12:30

Setlist:

Rockin' Around (With You)
Mary Jane's Last Dance
You Don't Know How It Feels
Forgotten Man
I Won't Back Down
Free Fallin'
Walls
Don't Come Around Here No More
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)
It's Good to Be King
Crawling Back to You
Wildflowers
Learning to Fly
Yer So Bad
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
You Wreck Me
American Girl

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 15:47

Damn, I would have gone just for the Tom/Stevie duet! Love that song.

Date: July 10, 2017 16:49

Great review here from the BBC website.

Fans delirious as Stevie Nicks joins Tom Petty on stage

By Mark Savage

BBC Music reporter

It was Side A all the way when Tom Petty played the BST festival in Hyde Park on Sunday.

"We're going to look at the show like it's a giant one-sided vinyl," said the star, "and we're going to drop the needle all up and down the record."

The set included nearly two dozen classics, such as Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down and Learning To Fly.

Stevie Nicks joined him halfway through the set for a special version of their 1981 hit Stop Draggin' My Heart Around.

"You know that Tom Petty is my favourite rock star!" said the singer.
Fans were delighted by the duet; which trended on Twitter on Sunday night.
"Pure joy. Thank you," wrote one fan, posting a photo from the audience.

Nicks had earlier played a support slot, running through her Fleetwood Mac songbook with renditions of Dreams and Gold Dust Woman, alongside solo hits Edge of Seventeen and Landslide.

After playing Rhiannon, the 69-year-old noted she'd played the song at every concert since it was released in 1975.

"It's never not been done," she deadpanned. "Rhiannon: You just can't get rid of her."

Nicks also delved into her pre-fame catalogue with the Buckingham-Nicks song Crying In The Night which, she noted, was written in 1970, when she was a struggling musician working as a waitress in LA.

"Dreams do come true," she told the audience. "Because 44 years later you can sing a song you thought nobody would ever hear in Hyde Park in London, England."

"It's great to be here," Petty told the audience. "It's been far too long."

Tom Petty's set was equally nostalgic, opening with footage of his band, The Heartbreakers, playing on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test.

The concert marked the 40th anniversary of the group which has, incredibly, retained almost all of its core members over the years - embellished on this tour by the gossamer harmonies of British singers The Webb Sisters.

On stage, the set-up was simple: just a bunch of amps, a few illuminated globes and an ever-changing parade of guitars - but that's because Petty never needs to distract the audience from the music.

His catalogue is so strong he can dispense with encore-worthy material like You Don't Know How It Feels and Free Fallin' in the first 30 minutes; prompting an enthusiastic singalong from a British audience who rarely get to see the band play (Petty last visited the UK in 2012, and before that in 1999).

Holly Willoughby, Jennifer Saunders, Adrian Edmondson, Sharon Horgan, Niall Horan, Laura Whitmore George Ezra, Alan Carr and Olivia and Dhani Harrison were among the famous fans who turned up to witness the open-air show, along with 65,000 other fans.

And their response was so overwhelming that this most well-seasoned of bands was occasionally taken aback.

Niall Horan and Laura Whitmore were among the celebrities who watched the show
As they wrapped up Mary Jane's Last Dance, the audience begin to holler the song's guitar riff - taking their cue from The White Stripes' Fell In Love With A Girl. which turned the hook into an "ah-ah-ah" chant in 2001.

"Well, thank you for that," drawls Petty, cueing the band to join in. "This is such a thrill for us."

He's not the most charismatic frontman, nor the strongest vocalist, but when The Heartbreakers are working in sync, none of that matters.

Guitarist Mike Campbell, resembling a better-preserved Jack Sparrow, delivers stinging solos on Runnin' Down A Dream and American Girl; while Brighton-born drummer Steven Ferrone locks the band in tempo with an astonishing dexterity.

Petty guides them here and there with an arm gesture or a whispered command but, after four decades on the road, the band know each other inside out, back to front, and every other which way you care to think of.

"I've probably spent more time with these guys than I have with my family,"

Petty and the Heartbreakers made their UK TV debut in 1977
However, the musician has said this anniversary jaunt could be The Heartbreakers' final tour - "the last big one".

"We're all on the backside of our sixties," he recently told Rolling Stone. "I don't want to spend my life on the road".
But his band don't seem too phased by the proclamation.
"I've been hearing that for 15 years," Campbell said. "We'll see."

"Thank you, London!" wrote Petty on Instagram, posting a photo from the back of the stage

SETLIST

Rockin' Around (With You)
Mary Jane's Last Dance
You Don't Know How It Feels
Forgotten Man
I Won't Back Down
Free Fallin'
Walls
Don't Come Around Here No More
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)
It's Good to Be King
Crawling Back to You
Wildflowers
Learning to Fly
Yer So Bad
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
You Wreck Me
American Girl

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 18:44

Big Tom Petty fan here, but I must say it is disappointing he isn't changing up the set list at all. Pretty much the same set every show.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 10, 2017 19:38

They have quite a catalog of good songs to choose from.

Great band, vintage tone, Mike Campbell is one of the under-rated guitarists in rock, always tasteful to compliment the song and tone to die for.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:38

beachbreak
They have quite a catalog of good songs to choose from.

Great band, vintage tone, Mike Campbell is one of the under-rated guitarists in rock, always tasteful to compliment the song and tone to die for.

Totally agree on Mike Campbell.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:54

Very good stuff, although I wish they played Insider too. And yes, Petty should switch it up more. There should be like 15 other songs he's rotating in.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 11, 2017 12:34

It was great

(my review for Record Collector mag will be a bit longer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 12:34 by johnnythunders.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home