Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1978 Tour
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 12, 2017 16:14

Is Texas the only soundboard boot on this tour? I loved the sound of the band on this tour and would love to hear more

Re: 1978 Tour
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 12, 2017 16:16

What do you mean, 'boot'?
The one we know as 'Texas' is primarily an official release...

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 12, 2017 17:06

Passiac NJ is a sb

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 12, 2017 17:22

DrPete
Passiac NJ is a sb
AND IT IS A GEM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 12:49 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 12, 2017 21:24

And there are the radio tracks from Detroit, Houston, Lexington and Memphis.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:40

"Handsome Girls" gathers all the radio tracks from Detroit, Ft Worth, Lexington, Houston(?) and Memphis.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:47

Last great Ronnie playing.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:59

powerage78
Disagree. He had a lot of good playing in 1981 and sometimes on subsequent tours. The reliability of his playing did become less consistent though. He kind of bounced back in later years after he got sober. He's pretty good on Hyde Park Live and Havana Moon. I missed the Bridges To Babylon Tour but my friends told me at the shows they saw, he was virtually inaudible in the mix and looked out of it. He doesn't seem too bad on the video that was released from St. Louis though.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: April 12, 2017 23:11

Yes totally inaudible in Paris SDF 1998.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 12, 2017 23:50

I like the HG stuff very much. how would fans rate this generally speaking?
I mean there's the post '69 tour period let's say...

and then that landmark '69 major tour and '72 -'73 Brussels etc, '75, '78, '81, '89 and onward...

post '69, and this is mostly from a perspective in the U.S. i'd say maybe their third best tour imo...i've been to shows '72, '75, '89 only; but several of those...and on both U.S. coasts...

I'd rate it very very good and worthwhile and exciting but also behind '69 and '72...better than '75 and tours afterward imo, tho a whole LOT of great stuff any given night any given tour, they ARE The Stones after all...

an essential important tour to me.
A real find...because I wasn't there but when I got the tapes and vids I was so thrilled...
maybe their third best tour ever post and including '69?

obviously a matter of personal opinion and experience but that's sorta the way I am hearing it and seeing it. I liked '02/'03 a lotta stuff, not saying the others are not worthwhile and important but for me '78 stands out amidst their very top tours in really really good shape...
i passed on '81 but saw the movie and enjoyed it; it was another bigger dimension and all that...
'75 is more fun to talk about and pick through all these years later for particualar tunes and night I suppose but for me it was a bit medium-low, but I'm glad I was there....in some ways...
i never felt quite the same about them after that tho. It never became really imperative for me to see them live again, tho i did here and there...
...the lotus stage and all the huzzah was fun, a cheap thrill...not anywhere close to one of the top shows I've seen from various rock and roll, or directly related outfits...maybe not in the top twenty...
...'78 surprised me; i thought they were done as far as real impact and rootsy rollin' drive but they were not.
I was very excited with a lot of Glastonbury '12 too. that was a very important tour and some nights were heaven...
but all in all i'd say '78 was third, which is an astounding high bar imo, of all their tours starting '69 when MickT joined...
I never got to see them with Brian, but boy those first live things, even '64 bbc and etc...were soooo important and ferociously good. think TAMI show etc...

but in the 'modern' world of top big P.A. touring and all that starting '69 I'd say they made history with '78 and it was their third best tour ever...
so far...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 00:01

The '78 tour was off-the-rails exciting when they played indoor venues, and just off-the-rails at the stadiums, where the sound was insufficient and KR's flanged guitar dissipated into the ether. The KBFH recordings are all terrific.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 13, 2017 03:13

TheGreek
DrPete
Passiac NJ is a sb
AND IT IS A GEM , ripped right out of the board just before the encore .

I was an eye witness. A surreal moment in a very surreal show.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 05:52

'Last Great Ronnie Playing'. Please. He's the best musician in the Stones now. He's all over Blue & Lonesome in a great way. I think his reputation suffers from not having a distinctive sound, but man I've come to appreciate his artistry. No one had the outright ethereality of Brian, the out of this world lead of Mick Taylor, but Ronnie has kept the Stones sound alive as Keith fades.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 13, 2017 06:16

24FPS
'Last Great Ronnie Playing'. Please. He's the best musician in the Stones now. He's all over Blue & Lonesome in a great way. I think his reputation suffers from not having a distinctive sound, but man I've come to appreciate his artistry. No one had the outright ethereality of Brian, the out of this world lead of Mick Taylor, but Ronnie has kept the Stones sound alive as Keith fades.

Well said.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: April 13, 2017 06:32

I don't understand Jagger's very under-coverage of the 1978 tour.
They were on fire and had something to prove...they had a #1 album and a #1 single with Miss You in the height of the disco era and the playing was off the charts. Blows away the 1975 tour...Because they played almost all the Some Girls album...I feel Ronnie Wood was truly connected to the tour and kicked ass!

I have the vinyl "Out On Bail" from Passaic NJ...very flat sounding.
I think it's only 10 songs.

"When The Whip Comes Down" Live Version from Sucking In The 70's is amazing.
What show was that from? Was it Detroit?

Pecman

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 06:53 by Pecman.

Date: April 13, 2017 11:58

powerage78

Good grief. The guy's been holding the fort since the 'palmtree accident'...
And especially his live playing from "50&Counting" on has been nothing less than superb.

Date: April 13, 2017 12:50

Yes SUPERB, especially his fantastic solo during Start me Up and Come Together at Coachella drinking smileyeye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 12:51 by powerage78.

Date: April 13, 2017 13:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
powerage78
Disagree. He had a lot of good playing in 1981 and sometimes on subsequent tours. The reliability of his playing did become less consistent though. He kind of bounced back in later years after he got sober. He's pretty good on Hyde Park Live and Havana Moon. I missed the Bridges To Babylon Tour but my friends told me at the shows they saw, he was virtually inaudible in the mix and looked out of it. He doesn't seem too bad on the video that was released from St. Louis though.

He was crappy throughout the nineties (VL & B2B ), I agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 16:02 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: April 13, 2017 15:05

Mess.
Ronnie got better (not difficult after the nineties !) when Keith began to weaken durably...

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 13, 2017 16:01

Mick probably was not confident Keith good make it through a long tour after his bust and clean up. 81 tour was short of an extension of the Some Girls album only to added to more albums by then....they played 4 songs from it, 5 if you include Whip on some shows. That's more than ER where they only played 2

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 13, 2017 16:15

GOD.....how can a decent thread be ruined by rating guitar players that are in a band you all claim to love so much? I don't get it....I've been able to see The Stones live since the late 70's, including this 78 tour. Ronnie is a perfect guitar player for The Stones...they do "the weave"..and all you guys that claim not to hear his playing is a testament to the guitar sound the band wants you to hear....part of that version of The Stones was created partially by Ron Wood!

Few of you ever were around to properly hear Brian Jones play live...you have zero clue about his input, except by reading magazines, and watching documentaries. The few of you that were around to actually see Mick Taylor play live in the 70's have that memory glorified when you hark back 45 years ago in your head...and massage that memory by watching muffled off speed youtube's.

Yeah, Ronnie and company hit off key notes sometimes, they played drunk & stoned sometimes..you paid hundreds of dollars to see that sometimes....so what?

Ronnie is a Rolling Stone, and is a major part of their sound in studio and live onstage...and he plays guitar IN A BAND better than you guys do, because he has a memory of music, and knows how a band is supposed to play together without hogging the limelight...he plays plays his part.

Just my opinion, and you are entitled to yours...but the best live Rolling Stones I ever witnessed was the USA No Security arena tour in 1999...I saw 15 of those shows, and if they ever release the San Jose shows they filmed you will still say how much it sucked....but you'll buy it anyway...and them moan about how The Rolling Stones ruined themselves in the 1970's by treating Mick Taylor badly...just punch yourselves in the head why don't ya? BTW, if you can hark...so can I. Go ahead kick Ronnie Wood...I think he is perfect for The Stones...and contributes more than anyone else in his position ever could. I have a Study For Keith for sale...contact me privately. eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 16:18 by onestep.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 16:22

onestep
GOD.....how can a decent thread be ruined by rating guitar players that are in a band you all claim to love so much? I don't get it....I've been able to see The Stones live since the late 70's, including this 78 tour. Ronnie is a perfect guitar player for The Stones...they do "the weave"..and all you guys that claim not to hear his playing is a testament to the guitar sound the band wants you to hear....part of that version of The Stones was created partially by Ron Wood!

Few of you ever were around to properly hear Brian Jones play live...you have zero clue about his input, except by reading magazines, and watching documentaries. The few of you that were around to actually see Mick Taylor play live in the 70's have that memory glorified when you hark back 45 years ago in your head...and massage that memory by watching muffled off speed youtube's.

Yeah, Ronnie and company hit off key notes sometimes, they played drunk & stoned sometimes..you paid hundreds of dollars to see that sometimes....so what?

Ronnie is a Rolling Stone, and is a major part of their sound in studio and live onstage...and he plays guitar IN A BAND better than you guys do, because he has a memory of music, and knows how a band is supposed to play together without hogging the limelight...he plays plays his part.

Just my opinion, and you are entitled to yours...but the best live Rolling Stones I ever witnessed was the USA No Security arena tour in 1999...I saw 15 of those shows, and if they ever release the San Jose shows they filmed you will still say how much it sucked....but you'll buy it anyway...and them moan about how The Rolling Stones ruined themselves in the 1970's by treating Mick Taylor badly...just punch yourselves in the head why don't ya? BTW, if you can hark...so can I. Go ahead kick Ronnie Wood...I think he is perfect for The Stones...and contributes more than anyone else in his position ever could. I have a Study For Keith for sale...contact me privately. eye rolling smiley
I saw the No Security tour, and Ronnie was literally a non-factor the entire night, but Keith single-handedly stepped up and made it one of the best Stones shows I ever saw.

Thinking back, Ronnie might as well have not even been plugged in (at least during his solos), but somehow Keith filled in the entire guitar sound and kept it rolling...and of course Mick and Charlie were on fire in an arena environment for the first time in almost 20 years.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 13, 2017 16:36

I thought Ronnie was fantastic the last 2 US Tours.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2017 18:29

Pecman
I don't understand Jagger's very under-coverage of the 1978 tour.
They were on fire and had something to prove...they had a #1 album and a #1 single with Miss You in the height of the disco era and the playing was off the charts. Blows away the 1975 tour...Because they played almost all the Some Girls album...I feel Ronnie Wood was truly connected to the tour and kicked ass!

I have the vinyl "Out On Bail" from Passaic NJ...very flat sounding.
I think it's only 10 songs.

"When The Whip Comes Down" Live Version from Sucking In The 70's is amazing.
What show was that from? Was it Detroit?

Pecman

That version of Whip was from Memphis, I think. Sounds the same as the version I have on a Memphis bootleg, just mixed and mastered better. smiling smiley

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:13

keefriff99
onestep

I saw the No Security tour, and Ronnie was literally a non-factor the entire night, but Keith single-handedly stepped up and made it one of the best Stones shows I ever saw.

Thinking back, Ronnie might as well have not even been plugged in (at least during his solos), but somehow Keith filled in the entire guitar sound and kept it rolling...and of course Mick and Charlie were on fire in an arena environment for the first time in almost 20 years.

I saw them in Anaheim on No Security and it was literally the best I ever saw them. Keith was so good I don't remember what Ronnie did. And we got a great Charlie night. I also was in Cleveland in '78. There was so much heaviness around the band. Not only was Keith's future up in the air, he was this pale color with a sickly green tint. Rolling Stone magazine was declaring that this was THE LAST TIME. Then their much hyped Saturday Night Live appearance at the end of the tour was a disaster. It's like there were two Stones that summer and fall, the live, scandalous bunch, and the album group that kept plugging away on the radio, creating a blockbuster. That was the absolute peak of insanity around the band. Things became much more controlled afterward.

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:16

The best of all is "No Flash, No Gimmicks" by Halcyon.
Sounds way better than the official release, very much raw and alive, if you know what I mean

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:21

keefriff99

Only one show for me, opening night of the euro leg in stuttgart: great and loud playing from Ronnie, well documented by a great boot!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 19:22 by liddas.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:27

liddas
keefriff99

Only one show for me, opening night of the euro leg in stuttgart: great and loud playing from Ronnie, well documented by a great boot!

C
I don't know, I just remember him goofing off incessantly, posing and joking around and making faces with the people in the front row. Whenever he played a solo, it was barely audible. I think he was on a real bender during that period.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:30

Back to the 78 tour.

Judging from boots - I was not there - it is my fav tour of the 70's

Not that I dislike the mythical 72/73 tours, they were huge, but 78 was something else!!!!

And Ron Wood is a big part of my loving this tour so much.

C

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:35

longlongwinter
Is Texas the only soundboard boot on this tour? I loved the sound of the band on this tour and would love to hear more

Here: [www.youtube.com]

Detroit, Dallas, Philadelphia etc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home