Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
YOUR GUT FEELING ON THIS TOUR
Posted by: eric ()
Date: September 7, 2005 17:38

I know its early in the tour and I am trying not to panic... but is it just me or does this tour seem like a "GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS" tour. I can say that after 40+ shows since Still Life tour, I have this really weird feeling that thier hearts for the first time may not be in this one. I dont know, I just expected more so far... I mean we have a new record and they are playing alot of it LIVE which is GREAT.... but for the rest of thier sets so far they are waaay to concervative. I hope I am wrong but maybe just maybe they are finally tired. I dont know... just a vibe I am getting. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: YOUR GUT FEELING ON THIS TOUR
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 7, 2005 17:49

love to help you Eric, but I think you are on the mark here. The Stones usually move into "cruise control" somewhere in the middle of Europe - they started out that way this time. this is not good.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 7, 2005 17:50

My gut feeling is they sound amazing, are playing their new material and I will love seeing them again Sat-day!!!!!!!1

Date: September 7, 2005 17:57

I know they sound great... no doubt. New stuff... great again. I guess I am talking about the over INITIAL goove feel of the tour and thier OTHER songs they are playing. Sorry.... the MONTCO setlist was by far the best of the tour. Its time for them to dig way back and give us the OLD OLD OLD classics as well on a regular basis... I am going to 8 shows so far..... I only hope that I am not bored by the 3rd show. I guess I am just bitching, Yes I am happy to still have a chance to see them again...and that they are still touring... and all that but for me.... for the first time in my Stones career so to speak.... thats not enough this time. I want them to due something really special this time out... not with the stage and crap like that but with the music OLD AND NEW the best of each......thats what will keep me interested this time out. Love the classics... but.............thats all. JJ- how's it hangin thest days, you staying out of trouble?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:02

lol-no trouble here! U r right. Alon with everyone I'd love to not know every song coming up when I see them. I hope since Sat's show will be on mtv for hurricane relief maybe they'll mix it up!

Date: September 7, 2005 18:04

HEY- I hope so too... you just made my day JJ.... we are going to STONES show together. IF you can get NFL over there the will be on for an hour tomorrow night as well. I will see you at the show..........ROCK ON! MTV... I GOT THE DOOBIE... you bring the beer!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:06

They are playing with more energy, concentration, conviction & w/ less reliance on backing musicians - keybs especially - than since '81-'82, & the shows I saw beat those by a mile. The setlist is no more static than it was prior to the mid '90s, & the warhorses are done superbly, - if I'd seen the lists & not 2 shows, I'd be asking the same thing, but these are the best Stones performances I've seen since '78. Guitars up front, Mick singing & performing in top notch form, Charlie kicking ass. And Lisa, Bernard, etc acquit themselves very impressively...And I dont get folks who complain about setlist & then say Moncton was the best so far - it was the first truly 60s dominated setlist (understandably, in some ways).

Date: September 7, 2005 18:09

John:

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I haven't been to any shows yet - but I've listened to a few of them and must disagree with your assessment. I hear a band going thru the motions. There's no earthly reason to expect a band nearing senior citizen status to actually improve - and I don't. But, for these prices I do expect them to push themselves a little and offer a little creativity in what they play.

This is becoming a borderline ripoff, IMO.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:09

KEEP GIVIN ME HOPE BROTHER!!!!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:12

Well - my feeling is very good actually. The Fenway boot is already better than most of the Licks Tour bootlegs I think, the guitars are loud and raw, that's how I love it. The song selection so far is good too and only time will tell how the setlist will change. I think that we knew right from the start that there will be no dramatic changes, after all it's a (mostly) stadium tour. And I rather hear She's So Cold, Rough Justice, etc. in every concert with loud guitars than some rare songs that don't really work live with mainly Chuck audible winking smiley I wouldn't mind hearing Sway though!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:19

I totally agree with Lorenz.
Sway, She's So Cold and Moonlight Mile would
make me even more satisfied though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 18:21 by The Stones.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:21

Lorenz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that we knew right
> from the start that there will be no dramatic
> changes, after all it's a (mostly) stadium tour.
>

Not true - about two-thirds of the this tour (US anyway) is in arenas. That's why last nite's setlist was just a downer - I could at least see the logic in the stadium set. But, if this is gonna hold true for arenas, that's just inexcusable. It's just plain lazy. And, what the hell was Mick working so hard on last week with the arena setlist - this couldn't have taken him any more than five seconds to insert Rocks Off and remove OOC. Boy, that must have really worn you out, Mickey....

Posted by: john r ()

I think so far a big dif has been Ron's 'comeback' - & that Chuck's ascendence past 15 years in retrospect may have been to cover Wood's unreliability. I agree, raw, loud guitars.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()

Yes the guitars finally sound like they are supposed to but the set list is plain horrible. I saw them in Hartford and only got 3 new songs, which really dissappointed me. You Got Me Rocking is just not needed on this tour and Miss You on the b-stage is the same thing I saw twice last tour, big deal they did Satisfaction on the b-stage instead of the encore. I can't justify $400 to see the same show with a few new songs and a better sound. Give us something different. There are ways to please everyone and keep it fresh. They have about 30 hits they won't even touch. I don't think they care anymore to be honest.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:25

My gut feeling is the same as it always is...

"It's Only Rock and Roll..."

Sometimes these boards analyze these Stones tours from endless dimensions of logic, emotionality, intention, past and future comparisons ad nauseum...

In the end it's just a few chords and some simple lyrics, it's only rock 'n roll and take it for what it is...

There's just NO QUESTION that the Stones "experience" will change as they do... the only constant in human experience is CHANGE...

I've said it before and will again, that what you see with the Rolling Stones, if they stay together, is a band that started out as teenage whirling dervishes and will end up as 80-year-old bluesmen sitting in chairs playing a whole lot differently, just like Muddy Waters and the rest of their primary influences did.

They are probably in the last throes of their "dervish days", and looking ahead to their "playing sitting down days", which may be two or three tours ahead, but are definitely there... SHOULD THEY DECIDE TO CONTINUE PLAYING...

Probably the biggest challenge is: 1) Getting in sync with where they are in their own lives, physically, what they can put out most comfortably... and then 2) DESIGNING THE STAGE and the whole SPECTACLE so that it comports with where they are in life rather than with where they WERE and then 3) Making this package highly interesting to the public...

On this tour, they may have created a late 1970's "spectacular" that is somewhat out-of-sync with where they are personally, time will tell... in contrast, Forty Licks was PERFECT, seemingly.

But at the end it's only rock 'n roll...

Posted by: mark ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:26

I will go back to my comments on Licks....it was their SWAN SONG....the big one.....the lets try some stuff one.

Now it will be about the music and a tour with a gimmick (stage seating).

Date: September 7, 2005 18:27

Muddy was 68 when he died - and wasn't gouging his fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 18:29 by T&A.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:32

T&A Wrote:
> Muddy was 68 when he died - and wasn't gouging his
> fans.
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/07/05 18:29 by
> T&A.

He was charging what the market would bear... he'd be the first guy to charge $450 if the fans would pay it.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:33

Very disappointed with the setlist and the lack of variations. The lack of creativity and experimentation is quite troubling to me...

That said, I listened and watched from 12th row center at Fenway and was stunned by the energy and vitality of the performance. "Satisfaction," of all things, was a real highlight for me. (Also: no indication whatsoever that age is creeping up on any of them.)

If you haven't seen the Stones do those songs a million times, the prices are worthwhile.

For my own part, I've been on the fence about going to MSG next weekand and the "St. Paul (non) development" casts a long shadow. One of the pleasures of the world to see the boys in the heart of Manhattan and there's a good chance I'll sit it out.

Picks for the day: "Back of My Hand," "Confessin' The Blues," "Stop Breaking Down," "Always Suffering"

Date: September 7, 2005 18:33

not in a million years - you don't seem to know much about him.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:36

T&A Wrote:
> not in a million years - you don't seem to know
> much about him.

Sorry, you're saying that he wouldn't charge what the market will bear ?

How do YOU know this ?

Muddy had a reputation as enjoyin' life, enjoyin' his women, and that takes bling-bling.

You say he wouldn't charge $450 if he could, I say he would in a heartbeat... let's wake him up and ask smiling smiley

Oh, I forgot... you "know so much about him" lol

Date: September 7, 2005 18:39

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:

>
> For my own part, I've been on the fence about
> going to MSG next weekand
>
>

Robert: if your dates are flexible, do yourself a big favor and go catch the MSG show in January... the forecast for band energy levels on that day is SKY HIGH, whereas the MSG next week isn't as favorable.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:53

I agree with a lot that was said about the dissappointment of the song selection on this tour. I saw them at Fenway and in Hartford. Not many new songs and a lot of songs which I think are far from their best (YGMR, Miss You). I have tickets for MSG next week and am seriously considering selling them. Never thought I would say such a thing. I have seen them at MSG a bunch of times and just can't sit through them neglecting so many great hits (not obscurities) and playing the same songs they have been doing since 1994.

Yes the guitars are upfront in the mix but that is how they are supposed to sound. We can't praise the whole tour just for this reason.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 7, 2005 18:55

CreedenceLives:

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll be spinning "Cosmo's Factory" later today. "Ramble Tamble," "Oooby Dooby," "Long As I Can See The Light"...and so on...

What a monster album.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:56

CreedenceLives Wrote:
> T>
> Sorry, you're saying that he wouldn't charge what
> the market will bear ?
>
> How do YOU know this ?
>
>

Well - I know that he wasn't in his 80's (as you apparently thought) when he died. I know that he respected his fans - saw him a few times and that was readily apparent. Not everyone is charging what the market bears, either. Petty is a great example of this.

Date: September 7, 2005 18:57

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> CreedenceLives:
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> I'll be spinning "Cosmo's Factory" later today.
> "Ramble Tamble," "Oooby Dooby," "Long As I Can See
> The Light"...and so on...
>
> What a monster album.

Yo Robert...

As good as Cosmo's Factory is, and that's CCR's best, if you haven't heard "Recollection" by Creedence Clearwater Revisited, make that your next CD purchase... an incredible Live CD recorded in front of a rowdy Houston crowd, you'll love it !

And if you haven't seen Fogerty or CCRevisited live, don't miss 'em they both rock the house !

"... Saw the Gypsy Man, way down in San Berdoo... Five dollars on the table will keep me away from my tomb... said i got 13 months of bad luck, bound to be some pain.... Every time I get some good news there's a Shadow on my Back..." smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 18:59 by CreedenceLives.

Date: September 7, 2005 19:06

Those of you who are disapointed with the lack of variety from one setlist to the next would have truely hated the '72 tour. Before I went to the '72 show in Charlotte I could have told you every song we'd hear and when we'd hear it.

A suggestion to help with most of your bitching, Go to 1 show not 6. That way you'll never hear a similar setlist plus the cost of seeing the Rolling Stones in concert will be much less.

Date: September 7, 2005 19:20

Creed-

The music makes it timeless. And although Robert Plant isnt making anywhere near what the Stones are... he isnt faking his REBEL YELL anymore and has moved onto higher ground musically ans so have other who have been around.... its like bringing the circus to town... same show nothing new... yes a new stage but hell IF that is your BIG surprise... stay home and save me the money. The Stones should do more with the catalog they have... they younger crowd they think they are playing to I bet would rather hear GET OFF MY CLOUD than HTW....or EVEN SWAY more than Miss you. Come on the Stones have to work harder to make themselves more interesting... shit... its a long tour but at these prices... keep the f-in stage and give me music........big stage.. big bang.... BIG DEAL!!! Who cares? SING MICK..... WORK IT KEITH.... PUMP IT OUT CHARLIE... STAY SOBER RONNIE... but hell WORK FOR THE MONEY!!!!!! SORRY!!!! I am in no way tring to start something by mentioning RObert Plant but after seeing him this year 4 times... the energy that was put into the music and not in the prancing or stage but the arrangements and rearrangements was inspiring for a vertern rocker and guess what.... the YOUNGER CROWD GOT IT AND LOVED IT... all I kept thinking about during those shows was: I ONLY HOPE THE STONES CAN FRESHEN THEMSELVES UP LIKE THIS AND BE "RELEVANT" AGAIN. I would rather hear all 16 new songs = Satisfaction, SFTD, and Midnight Rambler or 3 rotating oldies than what we are getting right now. The spirit of this new record( which is incredible to me and they sound relevent again ) could only be enhanced by the SPIRIT of the catalog that preceeded it and not the over done ones but the TRUE nuggets.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 7, 2005 19:34

skippy I went to the see the Stones during the 1973 tour and there is no way to compare 72 or 73 to today. They were playing most new songs back then or at least songs from their two most recent releases. Times have changed and so have the general live concert experience.

I was not dissappointed in the the same set list every night, just the poor selection of songs. The set list on the 81 tour was great, nice mix of song old and new.

Date: September 7, 2005 19:35

Your right about 81 .... so was NO SECURITY tour... awsome! They can do it....and better than anyone!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home