Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

if you produced the next stones cd
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 7, 2005 22:29

what would you do to the stones "sound" in the studio if you produced them? here's my suggestions: turn down the drums and vocals, plug a les paul special into a marshall, crank it up using a distortion pedal, add more keith backing vocals, as for micks singing, he's amazing, however, i would get him drunk and have him let loose more, sing more "throaty", rougher, dont be afraid to crack (part of the appeal of Ian Hunter, for me)....more tempo on the rockers....maybe add more classic stones nicky hopkins piano....maybe some mandolin here and there....thats off the top of my head....ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Re: if you produced the next stones cd
Date: September 7, 2005 22:36

Like to hear somebody like
Rubin or Albaini to produce

Date: September 7, 2005 22:39

good idea...i like what albini did to pj harveys second cd...powerful guitar driven sound

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 7, 2005 22:43

If I produced the next Stones album it would sound like THIS...

[www.deathsocks.com]

(I run a studio. Love engineering/mixing/producing records.)

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 7, 2005 22:52

I like your ideas however if you listen to some past bootlegs Mick doesn't always sound great when he is singing drunk. I love the quote from him in 75 where he says that whisky helps his voice at shows.

Seems like a bottle of whisky was one important stage prop back in the day.

Date: September 7, 2005 22:59

mick can drink hot tea and lemon or take throat drops for his throat..then (in the studio) get drunk...live you've only got one chance...the studios a different story...and i'll bet with theyre endless studio time, something great would come out of it...best wishes

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 7, 2005 23:03

No, no...no distortion pedals!!!! Keith won´t use 'em. I think the problem of their sound right now is not the gear they use, because Keith & Ron have terrific vintage guitars and amps and Charlie uses his old Gretsch drum kit. The problem is the producers and engineers (especially the guy who mixes the tracks).
When they are trying to get a classic sound like they do in this album, it's obvious that you need to work on "organic" sounds and I think in some moments of ABB they achieve it. Other problem right now is that plague called PRO TOOLS....it standarizes the recoring process in the industry right now and basically most of the records sound the same. Please check the sound in "Rough Justice", which was mixed by D.Sardy; and how the guitars are mixed there and you get very close to ehat the Stones should sound nowadays (IMO...). Sadly, other rockers like "She saw me coming" & "Dangerous Beauty"sounds too thin and weak. I think Rick Rubin would do a good job in a stones record....

Date: September 7, 2005 23:10

good point about the producers mixing job....rough justice does have that nice warm crunchy guitar sound that i enjoy...i wonder if theyll stick with don was next time around?...i wouldnt mind seeing somebody else at the mixing board...rubins a good idea...love what he did with johnny cash...earthy and raw...no tricks

Date: September 7, 2005 23:19

what about going back to 2" recording tape...forget all the digital stuff?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 7, 2005 23:48

leonard - you must be the biggest "nagger" on this board since, well...me! Get Off Of My Cloud, dude - 'cos two's a crowd... :-)

Date: September 7, 2005 23:55

just kickin around ideas t & a...if thats your idea of nagging...got to sleep boy!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 7, 2005 23:57

i was joking - i'm apparently getting a bad rep as a nagger according to some of the more "serious" posters here....welcome to the club!

Date: September 8, 2005 00:00

thanks t & a...i'm honored as the newest member!!! best wishes

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 9, 2005 23:38

Why not try the same thing like they did this time at Mick's house, just next time at Keith's house in Jamaica? The producer would be Rob Fraboni then. And why not bring back Glyn Johns and record in London?
In L.A., Matt Wallace could be a good producer for them, too. I think he worked with Faith No More.
For Mick's next solo album, I'd recommend Mousse T.

Date: September 9, 2005 23:47

like the "record at home" idea....just to get out of that "sterile" studio environment...maybe some young radical rockin producer not stuck in modern sounds only....best wishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home