Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: a question for the fans at iorr
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2017 04:10

DandelionPowderman
tatters
Only something like 14 people were able to actually see the Beatles playing on the rooftop. How could that not be anyone's first choice? It was the most exclusive gig ever, giving everyone who saw it an "I was there" story that can never be topped.

Because most people on here are Stones-fans, first and foremost? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And also, most here are Beatles 'haters' who don't seem to know a good thing when it's right in front of their eyes and ears. winking smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 5, 2017 04:37

HankM

"but it is my opinion that they were a lucky to be in the right place at the right time and lucked into getting some good music made... ane then they were done... like the Spice Girls and the Partridge Family."

Are you kidding here, as in late April Fool's?

(from a huge RS fan)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 5, 2017 08:35

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
tatters
Only something like 14 people were able to actually see the Beatles playing on the rooftop. How could that not be anyone's first choice? It was the most exclusive gig ever, giving everyone who saw it an "I was there" story that can never be topped.

Because most people on here are Stones-fans, first and foremost? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And also, most here are Beatles 'haters' who don't seem to know a good thing when it's right in front of their eyes and ears. winking smiley

No. I love the Beatles smiling smiley

Date: April 5, 2017 09:15

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
tatters

No. I love the Beatles smiling smiley

I wasn't referring to you specifically - but generally speaking that seems to be the case!
And maybe not most here, but seemingly many...ask HankM!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: April 5, 2017 11:00

Quit your whining Hairball, as if someone insulted you personally, lol. Give it rest.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 5, 2017 11:10

3, 2, 1

Stones
Zeppelin
Beatles

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 5, 2017 14:48

What a great response. You have put into words what I feel about the Stones during that period. I saw both shows in Philly in 69 and 72. In my opinion they have never been as incredible as they were then. I lot of folks on this board have never heard that version of the band live except on You Tube or Ladies and Gentleman.Keith and Mick T were on fire. I don't think there has ever been a better combo of guitarists. They were a lot younger then - I get it but they were never better then. Seeing and hearing is believing. I was there. Oh! Stones first.

I was there twice in '72. once at an arena with real good floor seats. The stadium gig I went to that summer in another city was great also, tho not so impactful as what happened at msg for me personally. It was stupendous. Just perfection in every way; all of it. We have Ladies and Gentleman for sure proof of what they were able to do night after night that summer.
I'm sure a good argument could be made for '69 but I didn't make any of those shows.

I did see Zep in their hungry awesome prime early on promoting their first LP, in fact they were warming up for The Who when I saw them, and did meet Jimmy and Robert briefly as well; I had all access pass, backstage or anywhere i wanted; it was awesome but for me nothing ever matches Stones '72 MSG.
Also I must say that Zep that night, in the early going, was twice as good, maybe more than that, than the Zep on Song Remains The Same concert film imfo.

Stones '72? It's the best rock and roll show I've ever been priviliged to witness or be some tiny speck part of...'awesome' in the venacular is too overdone these last generations of kids imo, it diminished the term when just about everything is 'awesome.' This was drop your jaw get up and dance, scream your head off, cry when appropriate because it's just so damn deep, real and fun. Laugh and scream.

Off your ass and on your feet this was the real deal.
70 minutes of perfection.
Not a firework or screen or special stage or any of the spectable crap.
Bill Wyman was awesome beyond belief. I will never quite be able to communicate that to anyone who didn't see Bill w the band in those days, especially in an enclosed enviornment.
Bill was loud and just brilliant brilliant; the earth moved, everybody got all the way there; happy endings for all. wow.
I'll never be able to fully understand a Stones fan who does not 'get' Bill. I almost feel a tad sorry for them in a way. I mean he's still there on Ladies and so much stuff; it's not like it's unavailable to experience and love for all generations since...tho live I will tell you Bill Wyman Bill Wyman Bill Wyman and stand up for him forever.

By luck of age and place I've been lucky to see a whole hell of a lot of primo bands approaching their primo best, and AT their primo best but this Stones was in another league from all of that to me. Did I mention Bill Wyman? Don't ever forget; Gosh I wish I could describe it better....

Ironic that in very hot contention, very much so, for the 2nd best rock and roll show of any kind I've ever witnessed was Ron with Faces at Fillmore East. He'd be a Stone four or so years later; and Mac would join them on essential career-saving tours.
God I saw Nicky and Stu with the original four plus Mick T, who for me is every bit as powerful as any original full-on Rolling Stone, and made every bit the contribution of any of them on most of their most important stuff to me....
....and apparently to them too as they keep on promoting everything w it...

...wudda loved to be close to McCartney's bass amp are u kidding? that would have been great; but i did see George and Ringo at Bengla Desh and was very grateful for that. Loved every bit of that show. Also going back to the first point, there is no way I can ignore the power of Stevie Wonder's incredible set; he was peaking at the time and it's a very, very high bar imo. Wonderlove and Rolling Stones jamming together with Mick and Stevie up front dancing and jumping together on beat had us incredulous...just crazy out of this world great.
A precious gift that has lasted a life-time and on into an unknown future; but I know when rock was real; when it mattered and meant something; when it meant near everything to a huge generation of people, and also to people a little on both sides of that generation....that I was somehow given this precious gift.

well not exactly 'given' haha; i had to send in dozens of post cards to hope to win a lottery to be able to buy four tickets for 60 bucks american, and that is what happened. And they were great, great floor seats...
i'd do that again in a new york minute. and let everything else slide on by no problem. ain't no one nowhere beatin' that no ways ever. cain't be done.
the apex; the creme de la creme. A whole LOT of great stuff would happen here and there for just a little while left in the rock and roll world, at least from my perspective. We'd get all the way out of the 70's with some good stuff still hangin' in a bit, but that was it. Rock never got better than that by anybody anywhere including them imo. the best.[/quote]

Date: April 5, 2017 19:49

HankM
Quit your whining Hairball, as if someone insulted you personally, lol. Give it rest.

Lighten up HankM - it was clearly all in jest! thumbs up
You think I really care if you or anyone doesn't like the Beatles? lol
I thought maybe the winky/smiley face in my original post would clue you in that I wasn't being serious.
I suggest you 'get back to where you once belonged' and fight the good fight by trashing the Beatles.

Cheers! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 19:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 5, 2017 20:38

I attended a great Stones concert in Rotterdam 73, they were on fire and the place went nuts, I was seated behind the ga but as soon the first Stones chords came blasting I jumped on my seat and danced the whole show like the rest so Stones nr1, Then Beatles and third Zep

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 5, 2017 21:42

Stones
Beatles ... from what I've read it wasn't really a performance, as a couple of them didn't want to be there. Still, the Beatles.
Zep. I respect them and all, but they would blow me away with the noise and not in a good way.

Date: April 5, 2017 22:19

Hairball

grinning smiley

"I have developed a great respect for Paul McCartney in recent years"

Date: April 5, 2017 22:26

I will add.... if it existed... Brussels 73 would be on my to do time travel list.

I have become less of a MT fan over time... but holy moly!!...
"In 1972-73 The Stones were awesome! Killer rock and roll."

That Taylor seering rock and roll guitar!!

[www.youtube.com]

72 STONES IS THE ONLY CHOICE ON LIST for me!smileys with beer

This whole thing,
Thank Goodness this 150 minutes exists... WOW!!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 22:31 by HankM.

Date: April 6, 2017 01:07

I would add a Hendrix concert after the Beatles #1 rooftop performance.
Maybe the Band of Gypsies live album/performance - recorded New Years 1970, Fillmore East. Just to watch and listen to Machine Gun alone might do it for me.
Or maybe an earlier Experience show in London - at the Saville Theatre with the Beatles in attendance. 1967.
Or maybe the Montery Pop Festival, 1967...

Beatles - roof top
Hendrix - Fillmore East '70, or Montery or Saville Thatre - both 1967
Zeppelin - Fillmore
Stones - '72

I also would have liked to have seen Lynyrd Skynyrd before the plane disaster- anywhere and any time.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 6, 2017 04:32

Great question.

Stones are easily my favorite band but I have seen them a few times and listened to their 72 concerts many times. It would be a been there done that thing for me.

The other two are hard to choose from. The Beatles rooftop is as historic as rock gets but Zeppelin would be a long great show from a band I never saw.

I actually can't answer.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:41

CaptainCorella

But, if I had one trip back in time it would be to Sunday evening 14th April 1963. That was the evening that The Beatles met The Rolling Stones at The Crawdaddy Club in Richmond and they all spent the night talking at 102 Edith Grove - that's where I'd go.

A problem!

The supplier of the Time Machine that I have tell me that this date/time combination is not allowed because the gathering targeted is sufficiently small for the sudden appearance of an extra person to be noticeable. Not permitted.

They have though approved a trip to July 12th 1962 100 Club where my appearance in the sweaty crowd would not be noticed.

The aim of the trip would be, of course, to establish once and for all who the drummer was that evening!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 6, 2017 10:06

Stones 1973 - almost every concert. (Was there a concert that was really bad?)

Date: April 6, 2017 10:07

CaptainCorella
CaptainCorella

But, if I had one trip back in time it would be to Sunday evening 14th April 1963. That was the evening that The Beatles met The Rolling Stones at The Crawdaddy Club in Richmond and they all spent the night talking at 102 Edith Grove - that's where I'd go.

A problem!

The supplier of the Time Machine that I have tell me that this date/time combination is not allowed because the gathering targeted is sufficiently small for the sudden appearance of an extra person to be noticeable. Not permitted.

They have though approved a trip to July 12th 1962 100 Club where my appearance in the sweaty crowd would not be noticed.

The aim of the trip would be, of course, to establish once and for all who the drummer was that evening!

You're not thinking of the Marque Club-gig – their very first gig?

On July 12, 1962 The Rollin' Stones performed for the first time ever, at the Marquee Club, London. This was the band on stage:

Brian Jones (guitar)
Mick Jagger (vocals)
Keith Richards (guitar)
Ian Stewart (piano)
Dick Taylor (bass)
Tony Chapman (drums)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 10:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 6, 2017 10:29

DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
CaptainCorella

A problem!

On July 12, 1962 The Rollin' Stones performed for the first time ever, at the Marquee Club, London. This was the band on stage:

Brian Jones (guitar)
Mick Jagger (vocals)
Keith Richards (guitar)
Ian Stewart (piano)
Dick Taylor (bass)
Tony Chapman (drums)

Yes. Marquee. My bad, sorry (and I of all people ought to have got that right!)

BUT - it's not definitely certain that the drummer was Tony Chapman. As many reliable sources have said that it was him, as have said that it was not.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 6, 2017 10:31

CaptainCorella
DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
CaptainCorella

A problem!

Brian Jones (guitar)
Mick Jagger (vocals)
Keith Richards (guitar)
Ian Stewart (piano)
Dick Taylor (bass)
Tony Chapman (drums)

Yes. Marquee. My bad, sorry (and I of all people ought to have got that right!)

BUT - it's not definitely certain that the drummer was Tony Chapman. As many reliable sources have said that it was him, as have said that it was not.

Not definite, but when you see the list of sources below in that link + listen to Mick Avory saying that he never played a gig with the Stones, it's more than likely that Chapman played the gig, don't you think?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home