Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Veteran rockers don´t deliver according to their former heights, why?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 4, 2017 18:52

Elmo Lewis
I got to be honest, my teens and early 20's experiences were "crash test dummy" times for me. Most of the time making an ass of myself without trying.....lol not really knowing the skin I was in. I've had so many greater, funny and rewarding moments in my 40 and 50's than any other period.

I don't know how "funny" they were, but I'd certainly agree that the vast majority of my most enjoyable moments occurred during my 40s and 50s. The weird thing is that I continue to have this completely irrational nostalgia for 1977, the year I turned 18, or even more specifically, for the two months just prior to my high school graduation.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 4, 2017 18:59

keefriff99
He really is a jackass. I'm convinced he posts tripe like this just to piss us off...there's no other explanation.

There is. It´s the way I think about those artists and most of their latter-day music. If Bowie was alive and well, nobody would consider Blackstar a "masterpiece". The sales would have been poor, critics would have torn it apart.

Springsteen´s albums since Tunnel Of Love are mostly crap compared to his 70s-albums, who would deny that. Iggy Pop of all rock/pop-artists must be the one who has the hugest amount of crap-albums in his catalogue. And I better not start talking about Phil Collins and the way his music got cheaper and lousier with every new release. Thank God The Who only released one album since 1982 (Endless Wire, btw is CRAP). Compared to all those artists the Stones are doing pretty well.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 4, 2017 20:17

HMS
keefriff99
He really is a jackass. I'm convinced he posts tripe like this just to piss us off...there's no other explanation.

There is. It´s the way I think about those artists and most of their latter-day music. If Bowie was alive and well, nobody would consider Blackstar a "masterpiece". The sales would have been poor, critics would have torn it apart.

Springsteen´s albums since Tunnel Of Love are mostly crap compared to his 70s-albums, who would deny that. Iggy Pop of all rock/pop-artists must be the one who has the hugest amount of crap-albums in his catalogue. And I better not start talking about Phil Collins and the way his music got cheaper and lousier with every new release. Thank God The Who only released one album since 1982 (Endless Wire, btw is CRAP). Compared to all those artists the Stones are doing pretty well.

Aren't you the guy who thinks that Dirty Work is a masterpiece???

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 4, 2017 21:03

I would flat out call it a BIG BOLD FACE LIE that Bruce Springsteen albums are crap , compared to his 70's albums .What a bunch of crap .

Date: April 4, 2017 21:14

TheGreek
I would flat out call it a BIG BOLD FACE LIE that Bruce Springsteen albums are crap , compared to his 70's albums .What a bunch of crap .

If albums like "Magic" and "Working On A Dream" aren´t crap, I don´t know what...
The bad started with Human Touch/Lucky Town in 1992 an got even worse (except for a few song here and there).

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 4, 2017 21:44

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 4, 2017 22:06

Angus Young is still a kid...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: April 4, 2017 23:00

HMS
TheGreek

If albums like "Magic" and "Working On A Dream" aren´t crap, I don´t know what...
The bad started with Human Touch/Lucky Town in 1992 an got even worse (except for a few song here and there).

Try Tom Joad.

Date: April 5, 2017 00:19

DandelionPowderman
HMS
TheGreek

Try Tom Joad.

Yes, Tom Joad. The title track is great. Streets Of Philadelphia is great. The Wrestler is very good. Devils & Dust is a very good song. Like I said, a few songs here and there that really shine. But most post-1987-stuff leaves me disappointed. It seems to me the muses turned their backs on him after he became a global superstar.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2017 00:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:54

Goin' out in style baby....we're all goin' to the same place Down the Road A Piece...

Now if you want to hear some boogie like I'm gonna play
It's just an old piano and a knockout bass
The drummer's man's a cat they call Charlie McCoy
You know, remember that rubber legged boy?
Mama cookin' chicken fried and bacon grease
Come on along boys it's just down the road apiece

Kopie von Boogie Woogie Veteranen Turnier Landshut 2017
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2017 18:33

<Veteran rockers don´t deliver according to their former heights, why?>

Not many people can still do everything in their 70's like they did in their 20's. That's just reality.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 17, 2017 14:02

HMS
DandelionPowderman
HMS
TheGreek

Try Tom Joad.

Yes, Tom Joad. The title track is greatz. Streets Of Philadelphia is great. The Wrestler is very good. Devils & Dust is a very good song. Like I said, a few songs here and there that really shine. But most post-1987-stuff leaves me disappointed. It seems to me the muses turned their backs on him after he became a global superstar.

Tom Joad, The Rising and Devils are great album. The last albums were nothing for me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 17, 2017 15:05

Artists move on, fans are stuck in time. Thank goodness for records.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 17, 2017 15:06

Not to be "negative nelly" but HMS and a few other critical posters on this subject are correct. The releases of most music post 1990 by the classic artists of 1965-1975 era are not good at all. If Bowie was not dead the last release would have tanked. Even the most creative musicians have just run out of creativity. They say rock and roll will never die but after 60 years, it's just about on life support. Playing the classics will sell concert tickets but the albums with "new" material are few and far between in all artists mentioned. The Black Crowes last release Before the Frost may be the last of any rock and roll records I purchase. I did get the Stones Blue and Lonesome but it really doesn't drive me to play it over and over again- more like a novelty purchase.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 17, 2017 17:17

Take away the cocaine, take away the methedrine, take away the benzodiazepines, take away the rivers of alcohol, take away the high rise ganja, what do you have ?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:43

HEILOOBAAS
Take away the cocaine, take away the methedrine, take away the benzodiazepines, take away the rivers of alcohol, take away the high rise ganja, what do you have ?

One very grumpy and bored millionaire rock star.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 18, 2017 00:13

bigmac7895
If Bowie was not dead the last release would have tanked.

I agree with your point although I'm not sure that sentence is true. It was roundly praised before he died, the same way The Next Day was. Both albums I don't think are very good, but when you're that big a legend and you go away that long anything you put out is probably gonna be praised. I do feel there's a small set of artists like that. Bowie was one, maybe Prince, maybe Dylan. Where its just so unquestioned its good, or that you try and find the good just to avoid it not being a great record (its not like I think less of Bowie cause I didn't like the last two albums). There's the bands like the Stones and Bruce and U2 who will always get 5 stars in Rolling Stone just for farting into a microphone and thats the damn honest truth. But Bowie was a different category there for some reason. Seriously I can't remember seeing one bad review. Those two albums were selling well regardless of quality, regardless of his death.

Date: April 18, 2017 01:18

Rolling Freak- you are more than likely correct. Bowie was a chameleon rock star and morphed with the times to produce 3 year stints doing a variety of styles within the rock genre. I have great respect for him- jamming to The Width of a Circle right now. I just wasn't impressed with much of Bowie stuff outside of his live shows over the last 30 years. Critics love his stuff- you are right Dylan, Bowie and Springsteen all get passes on new material due to decades of respect. I think just in general the artists who wrote and toured with their glory years in the 65-75 time period can't come up with better material or sound better than they did back in the day (give it a take a year or so).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:22

bigmac7895
Not to be "negative nelly" but HMS and a few other critical posters on this subject are correct. The releases of most music post 1990 by the classic artists of 1965-1975 era are not good at all. If Bowie was not dead the last release would have tanked. Even the most creative musicians have just run out of creativity. They say rock and roll will never die but after 60 years, it's just about on life support. Playing the classics will sell concert tickets but the albums with "new" material are few and far between in all artists mentioned. The Black Crowes last release Before the Frost may be the last of any rock and roll records I purchase. I did get the Stones Blue and Lonesome but it really doesn't drive me to play it over and over again- more like a novelty purchase.

Regarding Bowie, that's total bunk. Deaf ears. Bowie's last two albums are fantastic. It's those that are stuck in the rigidity of the past that can't identify an artist doing something different that's good as being good. It didn't work with the Stones or Jagger's last solo album and whatever else that thing is was called, it worked with Bowie.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:25

This is why they can't deliver according to their former heights. Scientific fact.
[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:28

Oh absolutely. I mean to me Bowie never topped Ziggy but was always trying. And some people adore it. To me, golden Bowie ends with Diamond Dogs. The rest, I've heard a lot of it, but I could probably make a single disc greatest hits of the best stuff. And he was one of those guys that was like "I'll make a new career and never play the old stuff." And I respect him for it, and was happy that he found a great balance of that by his final tour. I never saw him, but have heard CDs and bootlegs since then and its the perfect setlist to give me those gems from the 70s and just enough post 75 material that is cherry picked because its the best so that I'm hearing not just his old hits.

You gotta love people like that. That'll just say "you like all of this, I'm not gonna play it for like 20 years. That period of my life is over." Its admirable and infuriating at the same time. Bowie had that unbelievable pass that very few have. And maybe its deserved, but I feel with him and many of those artists it doesn't lead to proper criticism in their later years. It shouldn't but it bothers me that Rolling Stone and others give Springsteen's glorified outtakes album 5 stars. Cause I'm sure its not, but maybe it is contributing to his laziness and me not thinking he's put out a great record in a decade. Cause he can coast and still get good reviews. And sure he deserves that luxury, but maybe if reviewers were a little bit more honest someone like Bruce might actually buckle down and make another great record. I believe a part of why these veteran rockers don't deliver is cause there's no bar to reach. Its simply release something, anything, so why really try? I wouldn't.

Date: April 18, 2017 01:46

Bowie wasn't coasting on his last two LPs. It wasn't 'release anything'. He was doing new music and it was awesome. Unlike Mick turning to Matt Clifford and saying "Well, that'll do", Bowie actually put effort into his albums.

Is it good compared to (enter whatever Bowie classic here)? That's subjective and loaded. If it was crap he wouldn't've gotten the respect he got: they're really good albums.

Date: April 18, 2017 04:16

GasLightStreet
Bowie wasn't coasting on his last two LPs. It wasn't 'release anything'. He was doing new music and it was awesome. Unlike Mick turning to Matt Clifford and saying "Well, that'll do", Bowie actually put effort into his albums.

Is it good compared to (enter whatever Bowie classic here)? That's subjective and loaded. If it was crap he wouldn't've gotten the respect he got: they're really good albums.

I guess I'm stuck in the 70s- I'll give both Bowie post 2010 releases a listen and give them a fair shake. Nothing (trilogy, early 1980s multi-million selling albums)can top the Man Who Sold Thr World through Diamond Dogs years.

Date: April 18, 2017 12:46

Heathen was Bowie´s last very good album (in fact almost any Bowie-album is very good), Reality was boring and weak, a huge letdown. Then there was nothing for a decade. The Next Day turned out to be his weakest album so far, including the truckload of bonus-tracks for the deluxe-edition you may find a handful of songs that are worth listening. Most of it is crap and to clarify I´m a Bowie-fan since 1983 and have gone through all his changes and mostly liked it. His last real great one was Scary Monsters in 1980.

Blackstar & No Plan are both crap. The title track and Lazarus are the only good songs, the rest you can hardly call songs at all. It´s just noise, a pile of junk. It´s simply too weird to listen to it. I rather listen to Never Let Me Down, at least you have songs on it. Blackstar a masterpiece? It´s the low point of his career along with The Next Day.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 18, 2017 13:03

Heathen is still a pretty enjoyable listen. I remember having my kids and their friends in the car and if I had it on it definitely peaked their interest.

BlackStar is great, so raw and emotional. I would imagine it's stature will grow and grow.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 13:05

HMS
Heathen was Bowie´s last very good album (in fact almost any Bowie-album is very good), Reality was boring and weak, a huge letdown. Then there was nothing for a decade. The Next Day turned out to be his weakest album so far, including the truckload of bonus-tracks for the deluxe-edition you may find a handful of songs that are worth listening. Most of it is crap and to clarify I´m a Bowie-fan since 1983 and have gone through all his changes and mostly liked it. His last real great one was Scary Monsters in 1980.

Blackstar & No Plan are both crap. The title track and Lazarus are the only good songs, the rest you can hardly call songs at all. It´s just noise, a pile of junk. It´s simply too weird to listen to it. I rather listen to Never Let Me Down, at least you have songs on it. Blackstar a masterpiece? It´s the low point of his career along with The Next Day.

For ONCE I agree with you! If it wasn't a Bowie release, Blackstar would never have been heard in my opinion. Utter rubbish in the main.

Rod

Date: April 18, 2017 16:28

HMS

Rigid. Stuck in the past. Unable to hear.

It's great to know that your mental drivel is not just isolated with the worst ever Rolling Stones album.

Date: April 19, 2017 04:59

GasLightStreet
HMS

It's great to know that your mental drivel is not just isolated with the worst ever Rolling Stones album.

Maybe I missed the boat but I don't see any attacks but a simple opinion by HMS. No one is attackimg your opinion that the last two Bowie releases are masterpieces. What makes these last two
Bowie albums so special? And what makes Dirty Work suck in your opinion? Personally, I too like Dirty Work compared to the last 3 Stones original albums.

Date: April 19, 2017 05:55

bigmac7895
GasLightStreet
HMS

Maybe I missed the boat but I don't see any attacks but a simple opinion by HMS. No one is attackimg your opinion that the last two Bowie releases are masterpieces. What makes these last two
Bowie albums so special? And what makes Dirty Work suck in your opinion? Personally, I too like Dirty Work compared to the last 3 Stones original albums.

All one that has a brain has to do is listen. HMS doesn't have a brain.

It really is that simple. HMS's "simple opinion" is just that, simple. There's no context - there's nothing to it. No one is attacking my opinion? Perhaps because I am not stating a HOT ROCKS mentality and people know that?

Could be.

I like Bowie. I get it. But unlike some, I'm not stuck IN the past of previous excellence. I'm willing to acknowledge the artistic movement of an artist moving forward with good or even great creativity, even if it is within a trend, but not trendiness.

That's not capable of some people here.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home