Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Veteran rockers don´t deliver according to their former heights, why?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 2, 2017 08:25

bigmac7895
Not to be "negative nelly" but HMS and a few other critical posters on this subject are correct. The releases of most music post 1990 by the classic artists of 1965-1975 era are not good at all. If Bowie was not dead the last release would have tanked. Even the most creative musicians have just run out of creativity. They say rock and roll will never die but after 60 years, it's just about on life support. Playing the classics will sell concert tickets but the albums with "new" material are few and far between in all artists mentioned. The Black Crowes last release Before the Frost may be the last of any rock and roll records I purchase. I did get the Stones Blue and Lonesome but it really doesn't drive me to play it over and over again- more like a novelty purchase.

Good point thank you. I think in all fairness we'd have to consider Ray Davies the exception to the rule here. Very much so imo. I'm finding his new album very, very good;
I think he's 73 and it's just out. "Americana." Also he is still performing, and has been right along.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 2, 2017 19:45

Just listened to Ray Davies´ Americana. What a bore! I gave up after the first three songs and skipped the rest of the songs after one minute... Honestly, this is even more boring than Clapton, Knopfler & Gilmour.

Word Of Mouth & Think Visual rules!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 3, 2017 01:49

................ AND the winner is .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 3, 2017 01:55

HMS
Just listened to Ray Davies´ Americana. What a bore! I gave up after the first three songs and skipped the rest of the songs after one minute... Honestly, this is even more boring than Clapton, Knopfler & Gilmour.

Word Of Mouth & Think Visual rules!

Lol thats not true at all. I'm not saying its a good record, but Clapton and Gilmour's latest material has been unlistenable. Ray's was just long and a tad country boringish. But to compare it to Gilmour or Clapton's recent efforts I think its at least attempting something new.

Date: May 4, 2017 22:04

love americana; love the jayhawks. a brilliant achievement! imo anyway. it's sure worked for me...a veritable kinks-fest these last two weeks here, totally steeped in it;
real real grateful for 'americana' by ray. its krazy kool and kinda kinks; leaves me kontented. what a kick; might as well be kin. sorry if you kant dig it...is there not a single song on it you find kompelling?
konsidering these komments in earnest but kant quite konceive it. smiling smiley

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: May 4, 2017 23:01

hopkins
bigmac7895
Not to be "negative nelly" but HMS and a few other critical posters on this subject are correct. The releases of most music post 1990 by the classic artists of 1965-1975 era are not good at all. If Bowie was not dead the last release would have tanked. Even the most creative musicians have just run out of creativity. They say rock and roll will never die but after 60 years, it's just about on life support. Playing the classics will sell concert tickets but the albums with "new" material are few and far between in all artists mentioned. The Black Crowes last release Before the Frost may be the last of any rock and roll records I purchase. I did get the Stones Blue and Lonesome but it really doesn't drive me to play it over and over again- more like a novelty purchase.

Good point thank you. I think in all fairness we'd have to consider Ray Davies the exception to the rule here. Very much so imo. I'm finding his new album very, very good;
I think he's 73 and it's just out. "Americana." Also he is still performing, and has been right along.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a listen, but I'm very skeptical about anything my rock heros try and release in 2017.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 5, 2017 00:06

because they're too high now?

Date: May 5, 2017 00:43

bigmac7895
hopkins
bigmac7895

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a listen, but I'm very skeptical about anything my rock heros try and release in 2017.

me too. i think skepicism is healthy, at least for me; i don't want to be tricked or hyped; i just wanna listen and see if it compels me or draws me to listen again. if it 'connects' in some important way for me, if it "works"...Americana gets better the deeper i just play it and let it do what it does...i'm surprised myself frankly; i had not been following Ray's solo career all that closely honestly. that could have been a big mistake; i hope you'll write about it on the ray davies or general 'kinks' thread BV provides us...! i bet there's gonna be a few that'll draw you closer. we'll see...
give it a good slam if don't reach you smileys with beer...totally cool with that; makes things more interesting; cats got a birthday coming up. born in '44. for me this album is drawing me the way some of the best kinks stuff all the way up to '72, and they were really good AFTER that too imo...for a long time. they're broke up some twenty years already tho. ray is prolific. there as many kinks studio albums as there are Stones album give or take one or so...plus a lot of ray solo stuff. this one takes the cake imo. maybe try 'poetry' or something first. but really the whole LP is working for me as a whole piece as well as starting to go for some particular ones now here and there...
i also really like and respect The Jayhawks, and even have listned to various solo efforts from their members. i don't expect another fan here to necessarily like, or care about the Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers haha, but I do. I've got Victoria Williams' first two solo albums too. haha kinda weird that way i admit. not for everybody fair to say. ray working with a real integrated band like this blows my mind. the vids of them recording it and etc are cool too; i'm all kinky, well not in my personal life. excuse me i must go untie my girlfriend now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 00:45 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home