Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Keith Richards - Merle Haggard Tribute, Nashville TN April 6
Date: April 7, 2017 14:21

Thanks, Lien. I'm making it visible here:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: April 7, 2017 15:03

Keith & the band did a wonderful job on "Sing Me Back Home"

Just beautiful
Brought a tear to my eyes

We are blessed to be part of this musical tradition that connects us all across the miles & through the decades

thx Keith!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 15:03 by GS1978.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 7, 2017 15:21

Beautiful song from KEEF !!
Thanks, touching.
jeroen

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 7, 2017 15:36

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Looks like it Dandelion, and also looks Keith is a bit lost throughout the entire song.
The way he looks around, the way he's 'playing' the guitar, and the way he's 'singing' backup......could just be due to bad video quality. smiling smiley

Might be some monitor issues (Keith) + he dropped a pick. Willie simply forgot which mic to use, I believe smiling smiley

Anyways, it was good to see them singing and playing thumbs up

The left mic stand is set too high, seems like Gulliver sang right before them. Keith is looking for someone to fix it lower. Nelson has no choice but to take the right hand mic, and Keith has to wander around (cable and all) to the other side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 15:58 by z.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 7, 2017 15:57

Thanks to all for the photos and clips. Extra thanks to Cristiano for the usual yeoman's work.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 7, 2017 16:13

Lovely! Thanks for posting.

Date: April 7, 2017 17:40

Music City remembers Merle Haggard

(Photo: Larry McCormack / The Tennessean)

Juli Thanki , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee

When Thursday was officially proclaimed as Merle Haggard Day in Nashville, there were only three hours before midnight. But an all-star lineup of musicians and 18,000 fans packed into Bridgestone Arena crammed an entire day’s worth of celebrating into a few hours.

The tribute show and concert taping “Sing Me Back Home: The Music of Merle Haggard” assembled artists from contemporary country star Kacey Musgraves to rock god Keith Richards to honor Haggard’s legacy on what would have been his 80th birthday. The masterful country music songwriter, singer and performer died at his Northern California home on April 6, 2016 – the day he turned 79.

The three-hour show, emceed by actor W. Earl Brown (“Deadwood,” “Preacher”) featured not only a selection of "the Hag's" biggest hits – “Mama Tried,” “If We Make it Through December” and Miranda Lambert's understated performance of "Misery and Gin" were a few of the crowd’s favorites – but some of his lesser-known gems, such as the tender ballad “The Farmer’s Daughter,” lovingly performed by Tanya Tucker.

Though the concert was far more celebratory than somber, a poignant moment came early in the evening. Ben Haggard spent eight years playing lead guitar in his father’s band the Strangers, beginning when he was just 15 years old. Now in his mid-20s, he led the Strangers in the show’s opening song: “What Am I Gonna Do (With the Rest of My Life).”

After the performance, he and the Strangers remained onstage for another 40 minutes, expertly backing artists like Bobby Bare (who sang “I’m a Lonesome Fugitive”), Connie Smith (“That’s the Way Love Goes”), John Anderson (“Big City”) and Toby Keith, who delivered a muscly rendition of “Daddy Frank the Guitar Man.”

Some of the night’s finest moments came from collaborations. Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons transformed “Workin’ Man Blues” into a traditional blues song that built into a rafter-rattling rocker, while Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss teamed up on Blaze Foley’s “If I Could Only Fly.”

After Richards’ moving performance of “Sing Me Back Home” – with gospel group the McCrary Sisters backing him, it felt almost like a hymn – he was joined by Willie Nelson for an impeccably cool rendition of “Reasons to Quit,” one of many duets Nelson and Haggard recorded over the years.

Nelson found another duet partner in Kenny Chesney for “Pancho and Lefty,” the Townes Van Zandt song Nelson and Haggard recorded in the mid-1980s, before leading the entire room in the group finale: Haggard's 1969 smash "Okie from Muskogee."

"This has been a monumental moment," Haggard's widow, Theresa, said from center stage as fans gave the performers a standing ovation. "I know Haggard's here right now."

[www.tennessean.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 7, 2017 18:55

"Hanging with my guitar man Pierre before soundcheck last night!"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2017 18:58

z
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Looks like it Dandelion, and also looks Keith is a bit lost throughout the entire song.
The way he looks around, the way he's 'playing' the guitar, and the way he's 'singing' backup......could just be due to bad video quality. smiling smiley

Might be some monitor issues (Keith) + he dropped a pick. Willie simply forgot which mic to use, I believe smiling smiley

Anyways, it was good to see them singing and playing thumbs up

The left mic stand is set too high, seems like Gulliver sang right before them. Keith is looking for someone to fix it lower. Nelson has no choice but to take the right hand mic, and Keith has to wander around (cable and all) to the other side.

And then Keith dropped his pick...

But as Dandelion mentioned, it's good to see them there...it's good to see them anywhere. winking smiley

I especially enjoyed Keith singing Sing Me Back Home which was close to flawless considering the short notice and minimal rehearsal - what a great backing band - it's one for the ages.
And then there was the great Willie Nelson / Kenny Chesney performance of Pancho & Lefty - no technical issues and a near classic performance of a classic tune.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 7, 2017 19:24

Great Keith and Sing me back home! Much better than the drunk and coked up Keith that tried to do a good We had it all 2004...And he even played the guitar all through the song! LOVE and health! :-D

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 7, 2017 19:33

Cristiano Radtke
"Hanging with my guitar man Pierre before soundcheck last night!"

[twitter.com]

That shot is "love you"
Thanks Cristiano!

TE
Oslo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 19:35 by TE.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 7, 2017 20:30

Bjorn
Great Keith and Sing me back home! Much better than the drunk and coked up Keith that tried to do a good We had it all 2004...And he even played the guitar all through the song! LOVE and health! :-D

I was thinking the same thing, the coked up version of We Had It All was strange to watch.
Wish the Stones had these backing singers, awesome.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 7, 2017 20:50

stone4ever
Bjorn

I was thinking the same thing, the coked up version of We Had It All was strange to watch.
Are you referring to this?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 7, 2017 21:29

it's really great keith was there.he did a pretty good job on the songs too.

merle was my favorite country singer,i've seen him about five times in the last ten years and probably the same amount of times for willy.
the last time was in 2015 with the two of them each doing a set and then playing the 2nd half of the show together,

their backing bands are amazing musicians,it's really noticable when you see people playing without loud volume,big stages,smoke,fireworks and video screens.theres nothing to hide behind,truthfully most rock bands couldn't hack it.
to be honest i thought keith might get shown up a bit but he pulled it through,no reason to start making excuses about mic stands and dropped picks,he was fine.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: April 7, 2017 22:07

potus43
Ill be there!
How was it since you were there

Date: April 7, 2017 22:27

keefriff99
stone4ever
Bjorn

Are you referring to this?

[www.youtube.com]

Well yes but not with the irritating guy on guitar in front of the screen. Here's a better link below.
I though Keith was trying too hard, he over sang it in this hyperactive twitchy way, but i still love it though blow and puff don't mix. Keith on coke is not so good with ballads, great for Rock though. smoking smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 22:51 by stone4ever.

Date: April 7, 2017 22:37

Another shot from the red carpet:

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: April 7, 2017 23:12

Beautiful, beautiful vocal by Keith. Great performance. Would love a whole album like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 02:33 by MrEcho.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 8, 2017 00:55

Nice to see Keith turn up for Merle but no great shakes vocally or guitar-wise...if that moved you, try the original. Better than "The Nearness of You" though...

Date: April 8, 2017 09:27

roryfaninva
Nice to see Keith turn up for Merle but no great shakes vocally or guitar-wise...if that moved you, try the original. Better than "The Nearness of You" though...

Again folks, what more did you expect from 73 year old Keith.
It moved me, almost to tears actually, and once again, why the competition. Nearness Of You is equally great but in a different way.
Keith loves these songs , he doesn't claim or expect to sing them better than the originals, this is why its called a TRIBUTE.

Date: April 8, 2017 10:03

stone4ever
roryfaninva

It moved me, almost to tears actually, and once again, why the competition. Nearness Of You is equally great but in a different way.
Keith loves these songs , he doesn't claim or expect to sing them better than the originals, this is why its called a TRIBUTE.

He touched me in Munich when he did "Nearness" for the first time.
You felt he loved doing it. The Paris DVD-version doesn't show it (for me).

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 8, 2017 10:14

Hopefully this show has put to rest the stories about Willie being on the verge of death. Personally I think both Willie and Keith will outlive us all.

Date: April 8, 2017 10:15

"My hero, Keith Richards! What an amazing time honoring Merle at #singmebackhome. Thanks for the music Merle Haggard, you are missed!"

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 8, 2017 10:39

TE
stone4ever
roryfaninva

He touched me in Munich when he did "Nearness" for the first time.
You felt he loved doing it. The Paris DVD-version doesn't show it (for me).

TE
Oslo

I witnessed him singing Nearness Of You in London and it came across as incredible, also the guitar work was so much better than anything recorded on the internet.

Date: April 8, 2017 10:48

Aquamarine
Hopefully this show has put to rest the stories about Willie being on the verge of death. Personally I think both Willie and Keith will outlive us all.

About time Willie and Keith hit the road together, if Keith is bored waiting for something.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 8, 2017 12:06

Reason to quit [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 12:13 by Lien.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 8, 2017 12:13

Great performance by Keith.
He needs to get into the studios and record an album of country, blues, r and b and his other influences. Forget having to come up with his own material. Covers will suffice.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 8, 2017 13:05

jlowe
He needs to get into the studios and record an album of country, blues, r and b and his other influences. Forget having to come up with his own material. Covers will suffice.

Keith needs to reprise Willie's Honeysuckle Rose. Sheryl Crow can play the female lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 13:06 by Maindefender.

Date: April 8, 2017 13:20

jlowe

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: April 8, 2017 15:43

With Warren Haynes:

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 19:12 by bye bye johnny.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home