Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SFTD 1990 staged effects - Mick on the tower and a lift?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:11

A guy working for a local crew of Urban Jungle 1990 told me that Mick was secured on the tower by people gripping his belt tight while he was singing, so he would'nt fall...

Then, it continued in something much elaborate, with Keith taking a long solo, while Mick was going down on the stage level... I heard about a lift, instead of stairs... Hope he never had to wait trapped in the lift ...

Interesting to compare Steel Wheels 1989 stage (first pic) and Urban Jungle stage (second pic below) - The first has two volumes with the stage in the middle, while the second is compact.

Can't remember if Mick would also climb on the top of it during SFTD 1989, but then he would take the bridge on the left,would'n- he?

[www.stufish.com]

[encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com]

Re: SFTD 1990 staged effects - Mick on the tower and a lift?
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:35

I don't know which show off top of my head, but Mick DID get stuck in the lift or at best it didn't work at one show with Keith taking a 20 minute solo !

Can anyone elaborate ? I think it was Urban Jungle stage.

sc uk

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:47

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2017 11:49

straycatuk
I don't know which show off top of my head, but Mick DID get stuck in the lift or at best it didn't work at one show with Keith taking a 20 minute solo !

sc uk

That was the cherry picker in 1982, but the 20 minute solo never happened smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:54

This Steel Wheels stage was so elaborate and mind blowing in 1989 .The Stones doing everything bigger and better than everyone else .cool smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:57

Rockman, the true IORR archivist... Thanks...

1982 - yes, Mick get stuck in the cherry picker during.. YCAGWYW I think

Same thing happened to David Bowie during ‘Diamond Dogs’ Tour

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

From the beginning, the tour was beset with production problems, hardly surprising given the highly complex nature of the set. One night, a movable catwalk collapsed. Another night, the crane that held Bowie out over the crowd while he sang “Space Oddity” into a telephone receiver got stuck in place, suspending the singer longer than he planned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 13:09 by The Joker.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 30, 2017 13:21

What would have been funny on Urban Jungle was if Mick had been trapped in the big blow up dog grinning smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:18

I heard there was some sort of elevator to get Mick to the top in 1989 but he used the stairs to comer back down. The Steel Wheels stage was indeed a visual spectacle. What a change from previous stadium tours which generally were played in broad daylight and without screens. It was almost shocking to see the Stones with such an an elaborate show for the first time.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 30, 2017 21:53

Spud
What would have been funny on Urban Jungle was if Mick had been trapped in the big blow up dog grinning smiley
A true Spinal Tap moment for sure...

Date: March 30, 2017 21:56

Or what if he called for the lift to go up for intro of 'Sympathy", and it was busy; and he had to wait and wait.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 30, 2017 22:06

In 1989 in Raleigh, I remember Keith running up a large staircase at one point.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 31, 2017 01:38

yeah they are working this out for the next tour via this prototype!! very exciting!!
apparently they are going to shoot him into the edge of space and then soft-land him on a platform while the band shoots into Get Off My Cloud; cannons a'blazin'...he will also be travelling with a chimp in a jumpsuit with sparklers attached; and i'm thinkin' go boys go; i will be there; i am 2nd mortgaging my house, this could be the last time!!!
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 01:56 by hopkins.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 1, 2017 00:07

straycatuk

sc uk

Don`t know if you referring to what happened in Hannover/Germany (24.5.1990) on the Urban Jungle Tour:
A rainy concert, fantastic gig, starting Sympathy For The Devil, Mick on top of the stage, everyone was waiting for the famous first line but the microphone didn`t work. So he had to leave the top. During his way back the band was jamming a long intro (you can easily hear it on bootlegs). I´ve been at this concert front row and eyewitnessed that Mick was furios about this. Really.
Anyway a fantastic standout rainy concert with a fantastic audience.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home