Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones - European Tour Premiere 1998
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 26, 2017 23:40

No I had never seen this ....
[www.youtube.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones - European Tour Premiere 1998
Date: March 27, 2017 11:02

Good stuff thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 27, 2017 11:41

Nice.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 27, 2017 12:20

It's similar to the 'Blitz Spezial' from 13-Jun-1998 by german private TV-Broadcaster SAT.1 - see [NZentgraf.de] entries: 980613B + 980614A.

There's a similar report also by VH-1 (US) on 15-Jun-1998: 980615A.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 27, 2017 12:38

Great energy.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: March 28, 2017 00:27

Nice, wish they would release all of the that rehearsal footage.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 29, 2017 19:16

Testify
No I had never seen this ....
[www.youtube.com]

I was there, it was for me the biggest concert regarding the audience, which I've ever seen. About 100.000 people. And Jonny Lang was the good support act.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: March 29, 2017 19:54

good stuff this guy is posting
has Cirkus Krone ever been published as pro-shot?
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 29, 2017 19:58

That was great, you don't realize how much they have slowed down or how uncommitted Mick sings these days until we look back like this in 98' and 03'
Fantastic energy from the whole band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 20:05 by stone4ever.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 30, 2017 00:04

Adams
good stuff this guy is posting
has Cirkus Krone ever been published as pro-shot?
[www.youtube.com]

Indeed. I had seen bits of this concert, but never the full show. What a night that was! A perfect day in Munich to sit in Augustinerkeller biergarten with hundreds of Stones fans before the concert. I was sweat soaked all the way through given heat and steam in Krone that night. What a weekend in Munich I tell you for the triple shows.

Date: March 30, 2017 04:31

stone4ever
That was great, you don't realize how much they have slowed down or how uncommitted Mick sings these days until we look back like this in 98' and 03'

It's amazing how much Mick power had in his voice in 2003, listen to Stray Cat Blues for instance. Charlie's drumming was also so powerful here, except for when I think he's coming in one beat too early after a fill in the final of Worried About You and the whole band is derailed after. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 04:35 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: March 30, 2017 06:44

Ronnie seems shit faced...wasn't this back when he relapsed?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:11

Have (had?) it on a (probably lost) VHS

Thanks for sharing !

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: March 30, 2017 11:46

yeababyyea
stone4ever

It's amazing how much Mick power had in his voice in 2003, listen to Stray Cat Blues for instance. Charlie's drumming was also so powerful here, except for when I think he's coming in one beat too early after a fill in the final of Worried About You and the whole band is derailed after. grinning smiley

Watching that whole concert last night , the 2003 one, made me realize that from about 06' something slowed this band down. I always thought it was because Keith could no longer use coke down to the head surgery, but now i'm thinking its because of Charlie. He suffers from his back and the guy is obviously getting on in years. I hate to bash Charlie because the guy is diamond, and i know i will probably get bashed for suggesting this. I couldn't believe how slow the band played when they started in London for the 2012 anniversary gigs. Once again i put it down to Keith being rusty but could they have slowed things down for Charlie. Thankfully as the tours progressed they started to play a bit more up to speed but nothing like this 2003' gig in Cirkus Krone.

And yes Mick's voice has deteriorated a lot since 03, its the difference between a fantastic show and an ok show with too many backing vocals ruining the day. Micks voice has become so thin and whiny its almost irritating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 11:49 by stone4ever.

Date: March 30, 2017 12:03

The 2012 O2 I-show is way better than the Cirkus Krone-show, imo. There wasn't anything slow about that show.

The pay per view show in the US, however, was a bit slow.

Keith and Ronnie weren't good on Cirkus Krone. It's a bit painful to listen to..

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:41

Me and my these-days-girlfriend were the very first people that arrived at the event location (aprrox. 7.30 a.m.). I do remember this concert very well, because
1st: although I was the first I didn't make it to the 1st row at the main stage
2nd: it was my first concert being first row at the small stage
3rd: Mick lost his voice during the concert as it was comparably cold for a day in June
4th: I was flashlighted for speeding by police on the way home
5th: It was the postponed European Tour opener after Keith broke some ribs by accidentally falling from the ladder in his library, which was very much discussed these days

Thanks for sharing this link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 12:42 by Meise.

Date: March 30, 2017 12:52

DandelionPowderman
The 2012 O2 I-show is way better than the Cirkus Krone-show, imo. There wasn't anything slow about that show.

It's amazing how different we hear things. Maybe it is because I was too young to see the Stones in 2003 (saw my first show in 2007), but for me just about ANY show 1997-2003, is better than all shows 2005-2016.

When I listen to for instance Brown Sugar from O2 #1 in 2012 what I hear is a decent version, Mick has started to get an old mans voice, the backing vocalists are too loud, and it doesn't really swing overall.

Brown Sugar from Circus Krone however is a different story, faster, groovier, more powerful vocals, everything is better actaully IMO.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 30, 2017 13:02

In 2003 stones started to play standard shows,which means they just play,not above or under the bar but just they cope with it easily,sometimes a bit harder and so on..for example 2002 is a lot different from 2003.From the new ones,2015 is the best one.But its still rather bad...to my ears its painfully slow and not groovier a all.Pretty much lifeless.

Date: March 30, 2017 13:36

yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

It's amazing how different we hear things. Maybe it is because I was too young to see the Stones in 2003 (saw my first show in 2007), but for me just about ANY show 1997-2003, is better than all shows 2005-2016.

When I listen to for instance Brown Sugar from O2 #1 in 2012 what I hear is a decent version, Mick has started to get an old mans voice, the backing vocalists are too loud, and it doesn't really swing overall.

Brown Sugar from Circus Krone however is a different story, faster, groovier, more powerful vocals, everything is better actaully IMO.

Mainly, it was due to the guitars being really shabby in 2003, imo. 2006/2007 were even worse. On the 2005-leg it was a bit better.

Ronnie stepped up for the 2012 tour and onwards and Keith peeled off most of his nonsense playing. I think Mick is just as strong today as in 2003 (except for him taking some breaks and @#$%& a bit too much with the rhythm now and then).

Did you, for instance, hear any better version of Brown Sugar in 2003 than the version from Sticky Fingers Live? JJF from Glastonbury?

Date: March 30, 2017 17:05

DandelionPowderman

Keith and Ronnie weren't good on Cirkus Krone. It's a bit painful to listen to..

You are a smart guy Dande and i nearly always agree or see your point of view, but you are off the mark a bit here. Admittedly Ronnie isn't good but Mick Keith and Charlie are clearly rocking hard in Krone . I found the 2012 02 shows painfully slow to my ears, as was the US pay per view show. Brown Sugar unbearably slow on all occasions, in fact its never lifted off the ground since.
As for you saying you can't tell the difference between Mick singing in 03' from today, well i just can't believe you said that actually. As for JJf its always @#$%& good period because Keith gives it everything he's got especially when its towards the end of the set.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 17:11 by stone4ever.

Date: March 30, 2017 17:33

Well, let's agree to disagree, stone4ever smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 30, 2017 18:33

Haha you got me there Dande, can't argue with that particular version of Brown Sugar at the Sticky Fingers Fonda gig. That whole show was a one off where you could tell the challenge of new songs inspired the band to play so much better. This is the problem with Mick choosing the same set lists over and over, the band get bored and sloppy.
Thought the Brown Sugar at Glastonbury was slow though winking smiley
Oh yeah I forgot to say, Mick can still sing pretty good when he wants too. Question is, does he pace himself and hold back these days. Only two shows a week while on tour, he shouldn't need to pace himself. I really don't think we can expect much more from Keith when a tour is 15 shows and gigs are twice a week. Hardly gives him time to warm up. But I'm pleased they are still having a good time on the road. They are incredible to still be doing this at their ages smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 18:54 by stone4ever.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 30, 2017 22:43

Mick is still great IMO.
Keith playing has substantially weakened.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 22:44 by powerage78.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 30, 2017 22:55

DandelionPowderman

One thing I remember from the Krone show was the guitars were mixed way to low imo, especially early on. For a Stones show to shine the guitars MUST be mixed high. Nothing worse than to have Chuck and the horns leading the parade in the mix.

Date: March 31, 2017 01:04

DandelionPowderman
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

Mainly, it was due to the guitars being really shabby in 2003, imo. 2006/2007 were even worse. On the 2005-leg it was a bit better.

Ronnie stepped up for the 2012 tour and onwards and Keith peeled off most of his nonsense playing. I think Mick is just as strong today as in 2003 (except for him taking some breaks and @#$%& a bit too much with the rhythm now and then).

Did you, for instance, hear any better version of Brown Sugar in 2003 than the version from Sticky Fingers Live? JJF from Glastonbury?

I listened to the Fonda version of Brown Sugar and even though it's solid there's nothing special or unique about it. To my ears literally every version of Brown Sugar from 2003 is better. I mean, Mick sang it with more expression in his voice and Charlie's drumming was more aggressive and tight back in 2003.

JJF from Glastonbury is great no doubt, it's always better when it's the opener nowadays since Mick's voice is not yet so exhausted.

Can you describe why you think the Fonda version of Brown Sugar is better than it was in 2003? smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2017 01:57

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I stopped listening after Keith butchered the intro to JJF...

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 31, 2017 03:11

dare i ask; does this mean a full aragon ballroom is out there?

Date: March 31, 2017 08:07

yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

I listened to the Fonda version of Brown Sugar and even though it's solid there's nothing special or unique about it. To my ears literally every version of Brown Sugar from 2003 is better. I mean, Mick sang it with more expression in his voice and Charlie's drumming was more aggressive and tight back in 2003.

JJF from Glastonbury is great no doubt, it's always better when it's the opener nowadays since Mick's voice is not yet so exhausted.

Can you describe why you think the Fonda version of Brown Sugar is better than it was in 2003? smiling smiley

BS is a guitar tune. Keith and Ronnie are either too late in their timing or simply playing downright bad on the CK version.

It's the overall drive that makes the Fonda version superior, imo. And Mick is at least trying to sing the melody in places, too.

Date: March 31, 2017 09:38

Keith was so low in the mix at the start of JJF at Glastonbury you can't hear him. I wouldn't put that down as a great JJF. I wondered why at the time, i have never heard him drowned out by keyboards to that extent before.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 09:39 by stone4ever.

Date: March 31, 2017 09:58

stone4ever
Keith was so low in the mix at the start of JJF at Glastonbury you can't hear him. I wouldn't put that down as a great JJF. I wondered why at the time, i have never heard him drowned out by keyboards to that extent before.

[www.youtube.com]

I bet he wasn't low in the mix out to the audience. Some of these monitor mixes for tv sound really bad before they adjust it. JJF was not part of the tv broadcast. Check out JJF Oslo 2014 for an even worse mix.

A minute into the song he's insanely loud...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home