Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who is better Mick Taylor or Dave Davies???
Posted by: JumboJetPsycho ()
Date: March 15, 2017 03:37

Just wondering hmmmmm

Re: Who is better Mick Taylor or Dave Davies???
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 15, 2017 03:40

Better at what?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 15, 2017 03:41

Dave, because he put up with a tyrant for more than 30 years. Mick Taylor less than 10. Of course there were two tyrants in the Stones.
winking smiley

But seriously, they were two different types of players. I think Taylor is a better player technically, but Dave had a wider variety of styles and is a decent songwriter, too, and a good singer.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2017 03:50

They are two completely different animals. Davies could write a riff 1000 times better than Taylor but Taylor plays guitar way better than Dave. There really isn't a comparison. Dave is more comparable to Keith.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 15, 2017 06:26

what is better apple or banana

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2017 06:32

Well try puttin' an apple in a smooooootheeeeee ........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2017 06:38

ok; i'm with banana. i've got a big banana right here. couple little apples right around here too i think, let me check in the kitchen...

Date: March 15, 2017 06:39

.... ya tricks with fruit are kinda cute ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2017 06:41

i'm open to everything i don't know where to draw the line...

Date: March 15, 2017 06:52

RollingFreak
They are two completely different animals. Davies could write a riff 1000 times better than Taylor but Taylor plays guitar way better than Dave. There really isn't a comparison. Dave is more comparable to Keith.

agreed

Date: March 15, 2017 06:53

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2017 07:20

heeze stkkin the knife right down his throat

and it hurts

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 15, 2017 07:50

RollingFreak

Ray wrote the riffs, but Dave executed them to perfection. Dave became more noted for his solos when the Kinks finally conquered America in the late 70s and early 80s. Check out One for the Road. Dave was a powerhouse back then, big crunchy overdriven riffs and solos to boot.

Taylor, by contrast, all about the lead guitar solos. Which is fine, if that's what you're into. But his riff playing was never all that.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 15, 2017 11:46

TAYLOR wins by the longest of shots because i love soulful guitar, having said that Dave has some incredibly iconic riffs.

Date: March 15, 2017 12:20

Dave Davies is a first class songwriter, a great vocalist and a superb allround guitarist. He is best at what he does.

Mick Taylor is a first class solo guitarist. He is best at what he does.

I bet Davies would outrank Taylor in 9 out of 10 stupid «who's the best guitarist-rankings» because of the immortal music he created. But it doesn't matter - I love them equally.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 15, 2017 13:49

Who's better for whom? The Stones or the Kinks? When it comes to a band, where something works regardless of technical ability, then its pointless to compare. The sum is greater than the parts and all that.

Someone above wrote: "Dave became more noted for his solos when the Kinks finally conquered America in the late 70s and early 80s."

More noted for his solos -- now that's funny!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 15, 2017 14:00

You have got to be kidding me and by the way it's not even April fools day yet

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 15, 2017 14:51

Dave Davies

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 15, 2017 14:56

Taylor because i am a true Stones fan

Date: March 15, 2017 14:56

....that's loyalty for ya .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 15, 2017 14:58

Wayne Perkins smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 15, 2017 15:42

Technically it is pretty close. But Dave would edge out Mick Taylor. Dave was extremely versatile and able to do fluid runs, crunching leads, understated, blues, punk, ballroom style. He could do it all. A very talented guitarist that created some of the most original leads. His fret work on Arthur is innovative and extraordinary. Long fluid solos that are like ragas. He was a fantastic slide player, dobro player, acoustic, and of course a powerful lead player. Punk, blues, ragtime, ballads, eastern style (before The Beatles! See My Friends has a very beautiful and complex lead).
I love Taylor with most everyone he has played with. He is though mostly a blues/rock player. With a tinge of some latin influences on certain songs. Dave is more versatile, and a good singer and writer as well. Brilliant and highly underrated.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 15, 2017 16:11

Mick is a pretty good tailor, but I don't know if Dave is a good davie.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 15, 2017 17:02

I don't know why you are comparing the two.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 15, 2017 17:22

whitem8
Technically it is pretty close. But Dave would edge out Mick Taylor. Dave was extremely versatile and able to do fluid runs, crunching leads, understated, blues, punk, ballroom style. He could do it all. A very talented guitarist that created some of the most original leads. His fret work on Arthur is innovative and extraordinary. Long fluid solos that are like ragas. He was a fantastic slide player, dobro player, acoustic, and of course a powerful lead player. Punk, blues, ragtime, ballads, eastern style (before The Beatles! See My Friends has a very beautiful and complex lead).
I love Taylor with most everyone he has played with. He is though mostly a blues/rock player. With a tinge of some latin influences on certain songs. Dave is more versatile, and a good singer and writer as well. Brilliant and highly underrated.

Yes!

Date: March 15, 2017 18:44

Dave is so amazing on so many songs. Ray is still bitching about how delicate he had to be handled in the studio to get good work out of him, how it took forever to get the right mood and track but on this account I must tell my beloved Ray to shut up. Dave pulled it off consistently live; the things he created and developed and put down reaaall hard and heavy....or soft delicate and lovely. He clips that lead in Muswell Hillbillies make a guy in Nashville weep but it's got it's own soul at the same time. There are so many varied examples of Dave doing this to a Kinks classic; and there are so many of those. Ray would just like to be free of his hate fest for him and not have him around in the studio, making things better haha...whatever...

i have endless respect for what Dave has done. The Kinks catalog is essential to me; Ab essential. To miss this calvacade of releases is to really miss some essential greatness. I don't know about these days, post a lot of serious illness and a whole other state of affairs post serious stroke and such but this guy once ruled the world as a premier guy other greats could only aspire to, and his music has made my life so very much more rich and meaningful.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 15, 2017 18:50

whitem8

However, Dave Davies never played jazz/fusion sessions like Taylor did.

I also don't believe Taylor was ever knocked unconscious by cymbal so that's something.

I like them both.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-15 18:54 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 15, 2017 23:32

Stupid comparison.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2138
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home