Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: gimme shelter 75 buffalo - what a solo from woody !
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 15, 2017 18:58

Why even start to compare with other guitar players outside the band? Yes, Hendrix is a better player and composer on his own than Taylor, I agree.

Date: March 15, 2017 18:59

Isnt Blackmore Heavy Metal/Hair Metal? I dont hear anything good in that clip.

Date: March 15, 2017 19:02

Redhotcarpet
Isnt Blackmore Heavy Metal/Hair Metal? I dont hear anything good in that clip.

No, not really. Your ears were never any good anyway winking smiley

Date: March 15, 2017 19:05

No not after all these years with Ronnies blistering solos. My ears!grinning smiley

Date: March 15, 2017 20:29

Redhotcarpet
No not after all these years with Ronnies blistering solos. My ears!grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Date: March 16, 2017 11:41

I hear a good bit of bluesy influences in Blackmore's playing - when he wants to.
More and more he began to add this faux-classical influence, and at times fused it into something interesting. Maybe it was the influence of Jon Lord, maybe it was the wizard hat.

To Hopkins - yes to Derek T. Beautiful player. It's incredible to take one of the bigger numbers from a year, and follow it through a few shows; just to hear him take another take every night.
"Midnight in Harlem", and it gets played in completely different emotions from night to night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-16 12:02 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:03

liddas
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes Ron does flutter up on that high note towards the end of the solo, but I think we need to keep in mind that Ronnie is playing with a very organic, clean sound ... he has virtually no sustain ...

It is interesting to check his various phases. Like Hopkins said - his early sound with the Faces is downright unique. That dirt he got on "Stay with me", "Too Bad", Debris - actually the entire "Blind Horse" album ...

Sorry for chopping up your post a bit!

Sure Ronnie's rhythm sound with the Stones in 75 was somehow cleaner than what he used during the Faces years, but me thinks that that has much to do with the fact that with the FAces he was alone, while with the stones he had to blend into Keith's sound.

Au contraire his stones 75 lead sound was quite heavy, and very similar to his Faces tone. I have in mind his solos on the slow numbers - Angie and Horses - my personal lead tone of reference!!! I don't think it was pure tube distortion. Sounds slightly processed to me.

C

Some of it's down to the guitar.

Don't forget the active pre-amp built into some of those Zemaitis guitars that he used rather more in his Faces & early Stones days.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: May 12, 2017 23:50

Plenty of good shows from the '75 tour, and Buffalo is one of the top. Along with a killer GS, they also did hot versions of "Happy" and "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" that night (both of which should have been on LYL).

It seems like Ronnie got more leeway as a lead guitarist on the 1975/1976 tours than he's been given since. Damn shame too: he really is a great player (much better than he's been given credit for).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 00:06 by stevecardi.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home