Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

rolling stones discography.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 11, 2017 20:23

having browsed around various sites i have come to the conclusion the band could have made many more albums post 1989 than they actually did using the songs they had completed in the studio.

the figures for officially released songs suggest they made approx 250 songs post 1970, and the halfway point between the start of the sticky fingers era and the latest release in 2016 would be towards the end of steel wheels.

yet in the first half of this period(1971-89) they made nearly 11 albums, which could have been nearly 12 if exile was considered 2 single albums instead of 1 double based on amount of material released.

yet post steel wheels despite recording and releasing the same amount of material from 1971 to 1989, they made only just over 6 albums including some girls and exile outtakes.

in theory they could have made around 25 albums post 1970 instead of the official figure of 15(17 including outtakes)

and since steel wheels and including, they could easily have made around 13 albums instead of 7(including outtakes)

they have after all released the material anyway, so why didnt they do it in the same style pre steel wheels/post 1970.

any thoughts.

Re: rolling stones discography.
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 12, 2017 05:31

so why didnt they do it in the same style pre steel wheels/post 1970.

Because of the CD: LP = 40 minutes ; CD = 80 minutes.

From 1994, the Stones released almost exclusively double albums, except for the last one (Blue and Lonesome).

Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are all double albums on their vinyl versions.

Even live albums like Stripped and No Security (both were released on a single CD album) are actually double albums on vinyl.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 12, 2017 21:36

buttons67
yet post steel wheels despite recording and releasing the same amount of material from 1971 to 1989, they made only just over 6 albums including some girls and exile outtakes.

Not sure how you get "just over 6" when there are only 4 LPs post STEEL WHEELS - VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON, A BIGGER BANG and BLUE AND LONESOME.

The EOMS and SG extras don't count as albums when comparing them to albums. Releases, sure, but not as albums.

As Kowalski pointed out, VL, BTB and ABB LPs on CD are one album but could technically be considered 6 albums... strictly as vinyl LP albums pre-SoundScan era, anyway. Which might make one wonder if the vinyl LP releases of those albums got counted as 2 sales - they should have.

Pink Floyd’s 1979 album, “The Wall,” eventually sold 23 million copies in the United States.

No, it didn’t... It’s a double-album—by RIAA math, that means it sold about 11.5 million.

The Beatles are also losers—as a Fabs fan, I do find it a little depressing that all three of their titles drop out of the Top 25. But that is counteracted by my annoyance every time I read a lazy journalist claim that the White Album is “the Beatles’ all time best-selling album.” Much as I love that 9.5 million–selling, 19-times-platinum record, that’s a total perversion of history—any Beatles fan with half a brain knows it’s the 12 million–selling Abbey Road

[www.idolator.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 12, 2017 21:45

On my Windows Media Player their 1986 release is massively improved as the HARLEM SHUFFLE EP:

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight
Key To The Highway

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home