Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A world without "Miss You"
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:15

I personally have heard MY to death - it's my bathroom break at shows.

That said, without it I don't think we would have the Stones of today still rolling. It really did sound great when fresh in 1978 and propelled Some Girls to become such a big seller. It brought in teenyboppers, the disco crowd, a sizeable black audience, and casual fans who probably didn't care less about the Stones prior to MY.

Some Girls would have been a good album without MY (I mean the sublime "Beast Of Burden" was on there), but not nearly the blockbuster it was.

Your thoughts?

Re: A world without "Miss You"
Date: March 6, 2017 17:17

Great track! But they should slow it down a little, and Mick should play that harp.

Keith and Ronnie should do the backing vocals (Yes, I know it will sound horrible, but it would still be better, imho)..

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:20

Yes, and bump up the bass and bass drum. Do away with the bass solo though.

MY also "inspired" Rod Stewart's "Jealous".

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:38

There is nothing wrong with Miss You, it's one of the band's most celebrated tracks.

What one could do without, is that it has transformed into an extended jam for solo's during concerts. Granted, Karl Denson and Darryl Jones are gifted players and of course they also derserve their own little spotlight, but it doesn't have to take 11-plus minutes. 6-7 minutes would be just fine.

The song itself is a great composition and it was a brave move to release it as the first single from an album which was essentially very different from that track.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:42

Always loved it, but not so much live.....

The 12 inch version is sublime, and I play it a lot..... And always loud!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:52

Yes and take the clothes off. What?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:00

A world without Matt Clifford's terrible synth harp should be a better place...

Date: March 6, 2017 18:02

35love
Yes and take the clothes off. What?

Never need to hear it live again. But also never change the station when it comes on the radio.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:04

I wasn't thrilled back when I first heard this new Stones song in 1978. I was hoping the addition of Ron Wood would rock things up a little. Mind you I hadn't heard the rest of the album yet! But Miss You did indeed slip into focus after a few airings and I think it's a great studio track. Live, I kind of liked the sloppy versions from 1978 and 1981 but after that...eh, not so sure it should have been given warhorse stature. It was a pleasant surprise when I saw my second of 2 shows on the Bang tour when Under My Thumb took Miss You's usual slot!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:29

DandelionPowderman
Great track! But they should slow it down a little, and Mick should play that harp.

Keith and Ronnie should do the backing vocals (Yes, I know it will sound horrible, but it would still be better, imho)..

Slow it down and make it more like the studio version.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:59

I still love the studio version.Great track.

I'm bored with Miss you live. But so I'm with half of their set list. At least . .

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:11

I don't care what they say

I won't live in a world without "Miss You"

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:15

I like the "12" extended version I have on Pink vinyl, maybe Mick could live n it up a bit by ad lib n few line from the it, the line " Girls are like street cars, there's one on every corner, etc...would be cool...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:38

This song is pure genius and shows Mick Jagger's genius .The song live without the solos would suffer immensely

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:39

I did not love it when I heard it in 1995-1998, but:
I love it now, it´s one of the best working war horses. it always sound good, what you can´t say to some other live not working songs. I could live withour the boring post 1990 versions of IORR, SFTD and so on.
Recently I listened to the Flashpoint version of SG again. I was surprised, how good it was!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:46

A scorching studio track, that was very good on their 78 tour. I have seen a few good versions since. But I agree. Slow it down. Make it more menacing like the studio version. Get rid of the cheesy fake harp solo! Mick come on you can play it!

Date: March 6, 2017 19:51

I also wish Mick would sing the "hey, what's the matter, man"-part like he did on the record. That rhythm and phrasing is pure genius.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:10

I still remember the first time I heard this song on the radio.

This was the right record at the right time for the Rolling Stones.

The sound of Ian McLagan's opening notes...Keith and Ronnie's guitar interplay...Charlie and Bill laying it down (Hit Parader magazine expressed surprise that Bill was actually playing the bass on that track, since he was usually elbowed out of his role anytime that instrument was highlighted--i.e. Sympathy, Fingerprint File, etc.) and Mick's brilliant vocal, loaded with attitude.

It built a narrow, rocky bridge between Rock n Roll and the ever-expanding Disco world.

When the album came out, I had to get used to Mel Collins sax solo, which wasn't included in the 45 version.

And when the 12" came out, it just expanded into the most elastic Stones song ever.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:25

Like I said before, when Miss You came out a lot of people were hoping for a more rock sound with Wood on board. The first single made some of us fear that they were continuing along the lines of Hot Stuff, Fool To Cry, etc, which were good songs but didn't sound very "Stonesy" to some of us. But when the album came out and the single was followed by When The Whip Comes Down, oh yeah, the Stones were rocking again!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 6, 2017 21:27

ah

I remember when the stones first mentioned Wyman and Taylor playing live with them again. Didnt Bill say something along the lines of 'he'd rehersed the tune for playing live, as it was abit of a standout bass track but never got the chance, but then heard Mick Jagger rave about Daryl playing it, (and right after Bill had left the stage)but that in Bill's opinion he scuffed/bummed up the parts?

I'm not at all familiar with this in a live setting with Bill Wyman playing it, whats generally viewed as a top gig (and also good viewing qual) with Bill playing, and also the same again with Daryl. just fancied doing a comparison

Thanks for your help.

Date: March 6, 2017 21:39

HonkeyTonkFlash
Like I said before, when Miss You came out a lot of people were hoping for a more rock sound with Wood on board. The first single made some of us fear that they were continuing along the lines of Hot Stuff, Fool To Cry, etc, which were good songs but didn't sound very "Stonesy" to some of us. But when the album came out and the single was followed by When The Whip Comes Down, oh yeah, the Stones were rocking again!

Yes it rocked with When the Whip Comes Down and Respectable. That album has everything.

Far Away Eyes, Beast of Burden, Some Girls, Shattered, and Before the Make me Run

Rock, Disco, Punk, Blues, Country and a Ballad.

What a great great album.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 21:45

i would have dropped miss you years ago, along with others, some stones warhorses are only warhorses because they have been played to death, only paint it black, jumpin jack flash and brown sugar should be ever present in my opinion, all other songs could be rotated.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 22:35

It's almost 40 years I can't figure a World without 'Miss You' and I'm not going to chance my mind. The same applies to 'Memory Motel', 'Beast of Burden', 'Waiting on a Friend' and many many more. For whar it's worth, this is my feeling...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 6, 2017 22:53

Miss You......................

This song has changed my life aged 14 to the positive again when it came out in 1978.

A SHOW without MISS YOU is alright with me in 2017.

But My WORLD since the release of MISS YOU in may 1978 is certainly a better world.

thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 6, 2017 22:58

It wasn't typical Stones, but then again many of their key songs from back then weren't typical Stones -- Angie, Memory Motel, Waiting on a Friend, Emotional Rescue, Undercover.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 6, 2017 23:18

video: [www.youtube.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 02:30 by Britney.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 6, 2017 23:26

wonderboy
It wasn't typical Stones, but then again many of their key songs from back then weren't typical Stones -- Angie, Memory Motel, Waiting on a Friend, Emotional Rescue, Undercover.

I'm not sure of your definition of "back then" since the last three hadn't been released yet when Miss You entered the picture

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:11

For me this track is all about the genius of Bill. If you follow the bass line all the way through it's unbelievable. This explains why they've been pap since he left.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:19

loog droog
wonderboy

I'm not sure of your definition of "back then" since the last three hadn't been released yet when Miss You entered the picture

The roughly 10 years after their classic period when they were still relevant in the studio. And when each of those songs was released there were people saying, 'this doesn't sound like the Stones.'

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:30

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home