Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: A world without "Miss You"
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:44

One year ago, the Stones played their first ever show in Lima, Peru...

Those fans never heard the Stones play "Miss you" live before. And they probably all wanted to hear it and deserved to hear it!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:44

Asking people, - - - "What's at Machu Picchu, boy?"

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 7, 2017 02:37

Miss You is as good as anything they've ever done. Just different.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 7, 2017 04:51

I never really liked thistle one and don't like it any better now.

Ultimately inconsequential. Filler..
Make zero diff in their catalog had this never seen the light of day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-11 18:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 7, 2017 04:57

schillid
One year ago, the Stones played their first ever show in Lima, Peru...

Those fans never heard the Stones play "Miss you" live before. And they probably all wanted to hear it and deserved to hear it!

So true!

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 7, 2017 05:23

hopkins
Make zero diff in their catalog had this never seen the light of day.

That's my take on it too, pretty much. Obviously I'm in the minority, given that it was a worldwide hit, but I never understood the appeal of this song.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 7, 2017 05:49

Hated Miss You when I first heard it. I was embarrassed just like when Hot Stuff came out and Angie. These were the years of Hard Rock, Led Zeppelin. I soon began to love it (iust like Emotional Rescue). Now I think it's one of the very best Rolling Stones songs!

In 1978 live it was based on a guitar riff. In 1989 Atlantic City was an awesome version. Tokyo 1995 is very cool.

Rarities version is my favorite. It's not an edited version of the long versions. The long versions (DSKO and 2002) are brilliant reworking of the song with the song being chopped and restructured in a juxtaposition (not in the proper/original order). Clearmountain is a genius.

The 8-Track is Chris Kimsey's long version of the song (in the proper order that it was recorded) as is the Rarities version.

Miss You #2 which all officially released Miss Yous were created:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 21:23 by exilestones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 7, 2017 05:57

Elmo Lewis
I personally have heard MY to death - it's my bathroom break at shows.

That said, without it I don't think we would have the Stones of today still rolling. It really did sound great when fresh in 1978 and propelled Some Girls to become such a big seller. It brought in teenyboppers, the disco crowd, a sizeable black audience, and casual fans who probably didn't care less about the Stones prior to MY.

Some Girls would have been a good album without MY (I mean the sublime "Beast Of Burden" was on there), but not nearly the blockbuster it was.

Your thoughts?
very sound analysis Elmo...hadn't really thought about it in those terms but I do think you may be right. That said, the release of Start Me Up may have invigorated the masses as well, if that point in time weren't permanently altered because of the disappearance of MY, which of course is possible. Miss You made them relevant again to the times.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2017 16:49

schillid
Asking people, - - - "What's at Machu Picchu, boy?"

Post of the week

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:11

A lot of how one responds to various genres done by the Stones is affected by at what stage you first got into them. I signed on around Ya Ya's and it was the driving chugging rock of things like JJF and SFM that got me hooked. Among my crowd, as time went on, lighter sounds like disco, etc; were thought of as "uncool." Thus there was a bit of cognitive dissonance when something like Hot Stuff came out. In time, I got into it but hoped the next album would be a return to form. Miss You said otherwise to us at first but like many great tunes it worked it's way up on you...and like I said, the rest of SG did indeed herald a resurgence of sorts!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:12

The extended version (both of them) with the keyboard bit being looped is awesome. And it makes sense that the lyrics that were edited off the LP version were left off. They're funny but just a bit out of context with delivery.

Yeah, we gonna do up this town
We gonna mess and fool around
Hey Man! What's with you?
Yeah, you been strung out for too long
You know girls will come and go
They're just like streetcars!
I said, I been standing here too long
You know something, I feel abandoned!
Woo Baby!

The UK edit... it took me years to figure out what was wrong - the sax parts are edited out.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 7, 2017 18:05

That would be great ,yeah.
I can do without this song.
jeroen

Date: March 7, 2017 20:09

exilestones
Hated Miss You when I first heard it. I was embarrassed just like when Hot Stuff came out and Angie. These were the years of Hard Rock, Led Zeppelin. I soon began to love it (iust like Emotional Rescue). Now I think it's one of the very best Rolling Stones songs!

In 1978 live it was based on a guitar riff. In 1989 Atlantic City was an awesome version. Tokyo 1995 is very cool.

Rarities version is my favorite. It's not an edited version of the long versions. The long versions (DSKO and 2002) are brilliant reworking of the song with the song being chopped and restructured in a juxtaposition (not in the proper/original order). Clearmountain is a genius.

The 8-Track is Chris Kimsey's long version of the song (in the proper order that it was recorded) as is the Rarities version.

[www.youtube.com]

The Rarities version is both sped up and edited.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:20

A CONCERT without MY would be great. I think I had only four or five MY-free shows (out of 36), in 1999 and 2003. But the studio takes are great. Try the 11 minutes basic track.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:34

Elmo Lewis

That said, without it I don't think we would have the Stones of today still rolling. It really did sound great when fresh in 1978 and propelled Some Girls to become such a big seller. It brought in teenyboppers, the disco crowd, a sizeable black audience, and casual fans who probably didn't care less about the Stones prior to MY.

Some Girls would have been a good album without MY (I mean the sublime "Beast Of Burden" was on there), but not nearly the blockbuster it was.

Your thoughts?

The world I don't know, but it's hard to imagine Some Girls without Miss You. Miss You is HUGE! With all due respect to Burden, Run, Whip, Shattered etc. Miss You makes Some Girls.

Live, the song was a highlight of the 78 and 81/82 tours.

Unfortunately like Devil, it is one of the songs that suffered the most the post 1989 arrangement.

C

C

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:53

I think the world would be better without this "Miss You".
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 02:21 by Deltics.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:57

The ANTHEM of the Summer of '78, while Some Girls in it's entirety was the soundtrack. Miss You was seemingly played every hour every day on every rock radio station in L.A.
I proudly own the 7" and 12" (bought back in the day)and my vinyl collection wouldn't be complete without them. As for live, I can live with it even though it drags on a bit these days,
but sometimes those extended versions are really good (depending on mood I suppose).

With that said, Miss You is nowhere near my top 10 list...not even my top 20 list...maybe somewhere in the top 50...I'm thinking #43....or maybe #47...or possibly #39?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 7, 2017 21:22

DandelionPowderman
exilestones

[www.youtube.com]

The Rarities version is both sped up and edited.

Rarities isn't an edited version of the 8.35 releases. There are different speeds between the LP version and the extended 8.35 version. To know Miss You and what it went through in it's various incarnations you need to know Miss You #2 [www.youtube.com] .

Bob Clearmountain chopped Miss You #2 and repeated parts and put them in different orders. The 8-Track Miss You and Miss You #2 and Rarities is Miss You in the correct order. The DSKO and the 2002 releases (8.35) are from the Clearmountain recreations where he wipes out the most of the lead guitar and the repeats those parts. Yeah, Rarities is edited. They all are edited.

Listen to the 8-Track and see where the lead guitar work is located and then see Clearmountian's placements. Here's an example, the "Come Home" part is really only done once by the Stones as it is in every version except when Clearmountain repeated it in his masterpiece.

To say Rarities is an edited version of the 8.35 with a different mix, it's not that simple. The end of Clearmountain's creation is actually the middle of the song! I studied this for two years trying to figure it all out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 21:25 by exilestones.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2017 23:15

liddas
Elmo Lewis

Your thoughts?

The world I don't know, but it's hard to imagine Some Girls without Miss You. Miss You is HUGE! With all due respect to Burden, Run, Whip, Shattered etc. Miss You makes Some Girls.

Live, the song was a highlight of the 78 and 81/82 tours.

Unfortunately like Devil, it is one of the songs that suffered the most the post 1989 arrangement.

C

C

Hmmm...if they had finished Start Me Up for SG, Miss You might not have been missed...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2017 23:16

vertigojoe
For me this track is all about the genius of Bill. If you follow the bass line all the way through it's unbelievable. This explains why they've been pap since he left.

A lot of people just don't get this. Bill playing Miss You live, which you can see/hear on various DVDs is mind blowingly funky. That little English guy is laying it down. His bass is THE dominant instrument to that song.

Date: March 7, 2017 23:33

vertigojoe
For me this track is all about the genius of Bill. If you follow the bass line all the way through it's unbelievable. This explains why they've been pap since he left.

I remember that we liked this song mainly because of Bill's bass lines when it was released. It really was a Bill song, disco and funky bass lines were hot at the time.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 8, 2017 00:01

Monsoon Ragoon
A CONCERT without MY would be great. I think I had only four or five MY-free shows (out of 36), in 1999 and 2003. But the studio takes are great. Try the 11 minutes basic track.

thumbs up

Tried to find it on YouTube. Could not find it.

Makes me think of the long slow early version of You Got Me Rocking (Keith and Mick improvising lyrics) in a way.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 8, 2017 00:45

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 8, 2017 02:18

don't forget Sugar Blue.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 8, 2017 02:51

I hate it live

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 8, 2017 13:49

24FPS
vertigojoe

A lot of people just don't get this. Bill playing Miss You live, which you can see/hear on various DVDs is mind blowingly funky. That little English guy is laying it down. His bass is THE dominant instrument to that song.

Agree that Bill plays some great bass on Miss You. But Miss You is much more than a great bass line. All of the musicians involved deliver a majestic performance. The feel and groove of the song is something else.

Counter proof is that not even Bill was able to save the song in 89/90!

C

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 8, 2017 13:57

The original version is the best by far.
Live it was always awful, no matter what decade. I wish they had shelved it a long time ago. The studio-version still moves me, but live it became more and more boring.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 8, 2017 14:05

Agree HMS. Miss You has become a boring warhorse these days. Like so many other songs.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:53

Whenever I attended a Stones concert - and there were really a lot of since 1967 -
when they start playing 'Miss You' I immediately go for a beer.
That crap song lasts long enough so I don't feel in a hurry. To me it's the most horrible song they ever played in concert.
Well, IIRC they played 'Fool to cry' in the mid 70ies.
That also was ... you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 21:28 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 8, 2017 21:09

RipThisBone
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

Tried to find it on YouTube. Could not find it.

Makes me think of the long slow early version of You Got Me Rocking (Keith and Mick improvising lyrics) in a way.

The 11:39 version without several overdubs is on YouTube in great quality. Enter "Miss You long".

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home