Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Joey Kramer Disses Charlie and The Stones
Date: March 1, 2017 07:24

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
floodonthepage
Good lord, what a joke. Years from now, Aerosmith will be a blip on the rock history radar. Pretty generic rock band. They play all the right chords and entertain people, yet make no real mark.

most consider them the greatest american rock band so i doubt that

Really?

In a recent thread that had lists of American bands/artists that were great and made an impact, I don't remember seeing Aerosmith being mentioned once.
Are we talking about the same America?

i don't consider the beach boys rock music. other than that who would you name? van halen? the doors? alice cooper? grateful dead? what were the names on the list? hendrix experience and CSNY btw are not american rock bands

Whether you consider it or not, the Beach Boys are indeed a Rock band. Anyhow, was just curious as to what you base your claim on that "most consider them (Aerosmith) the greatest american rock band".
Was there a survey somewhere in a classic rock magazine or something that ranks American bands? Maybe most people in their home base of Boston think they're the greatest, but even that's doubtful.

the beach boys are surf music. if you asked 100 random to people to list the 5 greatest American rock bands most people would have aerosmith in that list of 5 bands. not sure why you are trying to say that's wrong. even if we counted the beach boys an average rock music fan listing strictly bands would name
beach boys
the doors
allman brothers
lynyrd skynyrd
aerosmith
van halen
grateful dead
guns n roses

those 8 bands would get the majority of the mentions on a top 5 list. other bands that might get named
Jefferson airplane
velvet underground
the stooges
metallica
megadeth
pearl jam
nirvana
buffalo springfield
grand funk railroad
alice cooper (if people recall they were actually a band once)
sly and the family stone (unless people think they aren't rock or weren't a true band)

First you said 'most consider them the greatest American Band' which is questionable imo, and now you're saying 'most people would have aerosmith in that list of 5' which sounds more reasonable I suppose - depending on who you ask. If you asked me, they'd be nowhere near my top 10 American bands.

if you ask 100 people to name the top 5 and aerosmith is mentioned on 80-85 lists even if all of the people who name them rank them 5th if they get mentioned the most then they would in fact by named as the greatest. simple math. if fort example van halen got 47 mentions for the best band but only made 70 peoples lists how can that override 80+ mentions even if they were all for 5th place?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2017 07:32

That's a lot of 'if's' going on there which really has no basis in facts - just a lot of conjecture, but I give you credit for turning art and music into a mathematical theory.

Date: March 1, 2017 07:57

Hairball
That's a lot of 'if's' going on there which really has no basis in facts - just a lot of conjecture, but I give you credit for turning art and music into a mathematical theory.

its not a mathematical theory. for instanced I just asked 2 people I work with, who only listen to rap, to name the 2 best rock bands from America and the only 2 bands they could even think of were van halen and aerosmith. 4 more bands were named but they were all from the UK

Date: March 1, 2017 08:05

keefriffhard4life
Hairball

its not a mathematical theory. for instanced I just asked 2 people I work with, who only listen to rap, to name the 2 best rock bands from America and the only 2 bands they could even think of were van halen and aerosmith. 4 more bands were named but they were all from the UK

Only listen to rap? I wouldn't take serious or rely on any rap fans opinion on what's great rock and roll.
They probably only know of Aerosmith because of their collaboration with RUN DMC.

Date: March 1, 2017 08:07

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Only listen to rap? I wouldn't take serious or rely on any rap fans opinion on what's great rock and roll.
They probably only know of Aerosmith because of their collaboration with RUN DMC.

so now there are stipulations for the random people surveyed like age and music preference?

Date: March 1, 2017 08:21

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

so now there are stipulations for the random people surveyed like age and music preference?

How can you measure something to be great from someone who has no interest in it?
Just because they named Aerosmith doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're talking about. How would could they if they only listen to rap?
That's like asking a vegetarian to name the greatest steak restaurant. They might name one they've heard of and that's well known, but they cant really give a first hand honest answer.

Date: March 1, 2017 08:40

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone
Look and learn J. Kramer......You are just a fool and a shite drummer too.

video: [youtu.be]

well he teaches at and attended berklee college of music so your statement is completely false

Not because of his skills. Joey himself knows he's not a great drummer. But he fits nicely in Aerosmith.

so berklee has people teaching that are not very good players? makes no sense when you look up some of the drummers who attended the school like mike portnoy

Yes.

Date: March 1, 2017 08:42

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone

well he teaches at and attended berklee college of music so your statement is completely false

Not because of his skills. Joey himself knows he's not a great drummer. But he fits nicely in Aerosmith.

so berklee has people teaching that are not very good players? makes no sense when you look up some of the drummers who attended the school like mike portnoy

Yes.

doubt it. why have someone teaching who is below the level of the students?

Date: March 1, 2017 09:45

I have a feeling JK is talking about modern day versions of both bands.
It is true that Charlie's drumming, esp. his live drumming has changed radically in latter years; beginning with '81 tour. Not necessarily for the better.
To this day I believe that the worst thng that has happened to the Stones, all 5 of them, has been stadium rock. They see themselves as pioneers in this field, but actually I think they are the weakest working major act in this dept.

Kramer goes way overboard. I actually like his drumming on many songs,exactky because it is simple and restrained. But even JK himself admits that the man producing the drums is Tyler.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 1, 2017 09:58

I stand by my comment page 1 thinking it stoopid and why but also willingness confess that their first several albums were very important to me; they had done their own thing with it according to their own peculularities morphed into some kind of adhesion or something; like u felt everyone was there; it was all out front and it was really good songwriting then; and fresh; they had done the yardbirds raveup thing a favor and kept it in the culture at least steven possibly brad have some roots like that and perry goes off in pagian bursts; tho whitford's the hidden drive; i don't know about hte bass i listened as a whole mostly...aero influnces are so obvious they don't hide it they promoted it with that beatles bee gee movie and anything else....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 15:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 1, 2017 10:12

the beach boys are surf music. if you asked 100 random to people to list the 5 greatest American rock bands most people would have aerosmith in that list of 5 bands. not sure why you are trying to say that's wrong. even if we counted the beach boys an average rock music fan listing strictly bands would name
beach boys
the doors
allman brothers
lynyrd skynyrd
aerosmith
van halen
grateful dead
guns n roses

those 8 bands would get the majority of the mentions on a top 5 list. other bands that might get named
Jefferson airplane
velvet underground
the stooges
metallica
megadeth
pearl jam
nirvana
buffalo springfield
grand funk railroad
sly and the family stone (unless people think they aren't rock or weren't a true band)

Ramones, ZZ Top, Byrds... maybe a few others are mentioned, the Eagles too. I'm probably missing some well known names too, these kinds of lists are hard to compile. Me, personally, I've always thought the Ramones are one of the best bands to come out of America.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:14

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone

Yes.

promotion for the school; rock star attraction? attribute it to 'style' accentuate the positives...probably every body gets paid. local boy done good and will talk about shit? not to be cynical; some peeps might have been inspired by hanging with hime and hearing him. He dosen't get too many co-writes I don't think the really writes anything but drums sitll influential as central component in a rock band; a good rock band anyway...imo... or did they split the publishing on the early albums? you know he could take the big hits i guessing now; and show the students here's how i did the kickoff here's how i did the verse beat. here's how i use the kick in rehearsals when we worked this one up...here's how i put a fill in tra la...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 11:33 by hopkins.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:30

Aerosmith has even billed themselves as "America's Greatest Band", right there, that shows how they took from the Stones.

As everyone must know the story, Perry and Tyler carried the equipment for the Yardbirds (or Zep, I forget) back in the days, sounds like they might have had a brush in knowing those guys). They tell that story frequently. I think they have always tried to distance themselves from being looked at as an RS wannabe band because that is what they are. But they are a very fine band at times, I would not deny that or diss them. People say crap a lot.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:33

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone

Yes.

He teaches there because he's famous.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 1, 2017 10:42

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
floodonthepage
Good lord, what a joke. Years from now, Aerosmith will be a blip on the rock history radar. Pretty generic rock band. They play all the right chords and entertain people, yet make no real mark.

most consider them the greatest american rock band so i doubt that

Really?

In a recent thread that had lists of American bands/artists that were great and made an impact, I don't remember seeing Aerosmith being mentioned once.
Are we talking about the same America?

i don't consider the beach boys rock music. other than that who would you name? van halen? the doors? alice cooper? grateful dead? what were the names on the list? hendrix experience and CSNY btw are not american rock bands

Whether you consider it or not, the Beach Boys are indeed a Rock band. Anyhow, was just curious as to what you base your claim on that "most consider them (Aerosmith) the greatest american rock band".
Was there a survey somewhere in a classic rock magazine or something that ranks American bands? Maybe most people in their home base of Boston think they're the greatest, but even that's doubtful.

beach boys
the doors
allman brothers
lynyrd skynyrd
aerosmith
van halen
grateful dead
guns n roses

Jefferson airplane
velvet underground
the stooges
metallica
megadeth
pearl jam
nirvana
buffalo springfield
grand funk railroad

Not a good day for CCR.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:44

BroomWagon

beach boys
the doors
allman brothers
lynyrd skynyrd
aerosmith
van halen
grateful dead
guns n roses

Jefferson airplane
velvet underground
the stooges
metallica
megadeth
pearl jam
nirvana
buffalo springfield
grand funk railroad

Ramones, ZZ Top, Byrds... maybe a few others are mentioned, the Eagles too. I'm probably missing some well known names too, these kinds of lists are hard to compile. Me, personally, I've always thought the Ramones are one of the best bands to come out of America.

Lovin' Spoonful

The Rascals

The Four Seasons

MC5

The Wrecking Crew (see creme de la creme from list quoted above!)

Elvis rhtymn section live and on record later years (jerry, ronne, james, glen)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 10:47 by hopkins.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:46

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone

Yes.

he also attended school there. they don't accept people who can't play.

Date: March 1, 2017 10:54

For purposes of a list of the best American bands, they sure are not my recommendations but from FM radio popular play, you also might get some bands like:

Styx

Boston

Journey

-----------

CCR, can't believe I missed them with a slew of AM hits. Monkees? Maybe? I don't know. Just if you were actually able to take a poll. Motley Cru, a lot of bands out there.

And of course, KISS, the names keep on coming up.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2017 11:01

Joey's just spittin' out a some bile ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-02 08:20 by Rockman.

Date: March 1, 2017 11:02

I like Aerosmith, but they're not even the best band in Boston. The J. Geils Band might be my choice as the best american ROCK band.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 1, 2017 11:08

Pixies, Wilco, The Byrds, The Jayhawks, Big Star...plenty of great U.S rock bands that trip off the tongue that trump Aerosmith, but it's all subjective.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 1, 2017 11:16

Can't believe this is four pages long.

He's certainly ruffled a few feathers ! confused smiley

Date: March 1, 2017 11:22

DandelionPowderman
I like Aerosmith, but they're not even the best band in Boston. The J. Geils Band might be my choice as the best american ROCK band.

oh yeh ; got to throw them into the stew. yes.

Date: March 1, 2017 12:02

Adrian-L
Pixies, Wilco, The Byrds, The Jayhawks, Big Star...plenty of great U.S rock bands that trip off the tongue that trump Aerosmith, but it's all subjective.

other than the byrds none of those bands would "trip off the tongue" of any average rock radio listener

Date: March 1, 2017 12:02

BroomWagon
For purposes of a list of the best American bands, they sure are not my recommendations but from FM radio popular play, you also might get some bands like:

Styx

Boston

Journey

-----------

CCR, can't believe I missed them with a slew of AM hits. Monkees? Maybe? I don't know. Just if you were actually able to take a poll. Motley Cru, a lot of bands out there.

And of course, KISS, the names keep on coming up.

I almost feel dumb for forgetting kiss and CCR and just now figured some people might name cheap trick

Date: March 1, 2017 12:31

oh yes CCR! Gosh those hits are amazing and timeless.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: March 1, 2017 12:53

Areosmith is just jealous because they have never been as good as the stones and never will there a cheap imitation.

Date: March 1, 2017 14:14

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
RipThisBone

Yes.

he also attended school there. they don't accept people who can't play.

When you attended the Berklee college of music, be it for guitar, trumpet or arranging, you definitely have something to offer. Lots of great and famous players have studied there.

However, a good musician is not necessarily a good teacher and a good teacher is not necessarily a great player. In the case of J.Kramer it's most likely that he does some guest seminars at Berklee because he has a lot of fans that want to know what he's playing, and he's got the skills to explain it in an academical way because he studied there.

Date: March 1, 2017 14:23

«Kramer attended Berklee in 1970, and, like many students in those days, left before finishing his degree in order to go on tour»..

[www.berklee.edu]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 1, 2017 14:23

Whatever he tells about Charlie or the Stones,I don't mind.
It's not important.
Funny...I remember having bought the first Aerosmith LP back in '82 in Greenwich Village at a second hand record shop.
Still got it,a good and solid rock album.
Beside that,rather boring output.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home