Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Get your Ya Ya's out is evil
Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: February 25, 2017 15:39

It's the first i've listen to when i was 14...and RnR saved my life!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2017 19:08

Ya Ya's was the end of a certain cool, dark sinister vibe. The next one, Love You Live was more of a party vibe which continued into Still Life....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 26, 2017 00:12

Keith, Mick, Charlie, Bill, Ian, what a great band when Ya Ya's was released, but it was Mick Taylor who broke my heart musically & in the right way. One of their best, if not the best Stones live album ever.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 26, 2017 00:19

It's hard for me to say anything about this album other than 'play it again' for the millionth time. This was like my technicolor version of Liver Than You'll Ever Be, my first boot, which I still have in wonderful shape, and listened to over and over again; it was like wallpaper it was that much in the room all the time for a long time. I love this album.

Date: February 26, 2017 00:33

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Some of your favourites have Keith on both guitars for quite a while, though (Carol, Little Queenie).

But indeed this album has great, great guitar playing, even though the roles of the guitarists are a bit too much diversified to my liking. Other bands did the lead/rhythm separation-thing better than the Stones, imo.

I love Ya Yas as much as Live In England 65 and Live In Texas. It's fantastic thumbs up

It's live, so how would Keith be playing two guitars? I know about overdubs on Ya-Ya's, and it seems those were mainly vocals. But also - all one has to do is listen to other 69 boots to get a very similar feel esp. on the Berry numbers.
One interesting topic you bring up though, is the whole two guitar thing, and other groups doing it. Love that topic. Who do you prefer?

Rhythm guitar overdubs on those two tracks.

Date: February 26, 2017 11:08

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Some of your favourites have Keith on both guitars for quite a while, though (Carol, Little Queenie).

But indeed this album has great, great guitar playing, even though the roles of the guitarists are a bit too much diversified to my liking. Other bands did the lead/rhythm separation-thing better than the Stones, imo.

I love Ya Yas as much as Live In England 65 and Live In Texas. It's fantastic thumbs up

It's live, so how would Keith be playing two guitars? I know about overdubs on Ya-Ya's, and it seems those were mainly vocals. But also - all one has to do is listen to other 69 boots to get a very similar feel esp. on the Berry numbers.
One interesting topic you bring up though, is the whole two guitar thing, and other groups doing it. Love that topic. Who do you prefer?

I remember all the discussions and theories about the o/d and guitars. but it has not been etched in stone by Mick or Keith, telling us that Keith went and o/d the guitar (rhtyhm) on songs on Ya-yas. Especially not on "Queenie". e can go round and round with this, and I love all Stones equally LOL. No Tayloritisms here.. I sort of had accepted the board's call that there are multiple guitar o/d until I recenty started listening to other 69 shows again, and found Taylor busy strumming on the Berry numbers. On boots where there are no o/d for sure.
But actually it is songs like "Rambler" and "Sympathy" IMO that really display the rhythm machine. And my favorite guitar symphony on YaYas is still "Stray Cat Blues". We have had threads about life changing musical moments on IORR, and discovering the guitars on SCB one night ages ago was one here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2017 11:50

Filthy record ... 2 secs inta that intro an ya already geared for the onslaught that's ta come ......... Everything seems to be ready...

talk about massacre of the innocents ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 26, 2017 12:26

Rockman
Filthy record ... 2 secs inta that intro an ya already geared for the onslaught that's ta come ......... Everything seems to be ready...

I mean

One point of brilliance of the album is the sequencing; and the subtle ways the built she set.
We all know that the spoken parts, and the "Paint it black" didnt happen the way we hear them on the record. But for so many years this became how a Stones show ran for us. After JJF Jagger raps about his pants, and it busts right into 'Carol'. "Sympathy" starts kind of as an answer to the chick calling out "paint it black you devil". "Honky Tonk Woman" will always follow "Charlie's good tonite". And my favorite quote is "NYC you talk a lot let's have a look atcha" and bop right into 'Queenie'.
I mean, they had to sit there and discuss this. Someone moved that quote there because....Why?
And catching the audience at times; in the stops on "Rambler" there is the guy yelling "God Damn!" which is just so perfect I can't even put it into words. And then on ( I think) the next stop someone unleashes this bloodcurdling scream "Yeeeaaaoowww!"

Remarkable re. the 69 tour is how early they did the whole acoustic set; and how long they stayed low. For obvious reasons they don't do it at Altamont; instead they premiere "Brown Sugar". And I had never noticed that they play it right after "Thumb";

Date: February 26, 2017 12:51

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

I remember all the discussions and theories about the o/d and guitars. but it has not been etched in stone by Mick or Keith, telling us that Keith went and o/d the guitar (rhtyhm) on songs on Ya-yas. Especially not on "Queenie". e can go round and round with this, and I love all Stones equally LOL. No Tayloritisms here.. I sort of had accepted the board's call that there are multiple guitar o/d until I recenty started listening to other 69 shows again, and found Taylor busy strumming on the Berry numbers. On boots where there are no o/d for sure.
But actually it is songs like "Rambler" and "Sympathy" IMO that really display the rhythm machine. And my favorite guitar symphony on YaYas is still "Stray Cat Blues". We have had threads about life changing musical moments on IORR, and discovering the guitars on SCB one night ages ago was one here.

There are obvious differences in sound and playing styles in the left speaker during Carol and LQ. Add the great research done by this guy with the Ya Yas-site (don't remember his name/link). No doubt about the overdubbing, imo.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 26, 2017 12:56

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

There are obvious differences in sound and playing styles in the left speaker during Carol and LQ. Add the great research done by this guy with the Ya Yas-site (don't remember his name/link). No doubt about the overdubbing, imo.

This one?
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 26, 2017 13:07

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

This one?
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
Yes dandy and Deltics; that is Cris; whose site is one of the best ever on the Stones. But if memory serves, even he doesn't really assign all that much guitar overdubs.
So obvious differences in playing between Carol and Queenie? That is part of what I am saying. I thought it was you who had thrown those two in together.confused smiley Haha...

Date: February 26, 2017 13:10

On those, not in-between smiling smiley

Taylor's guitar is still in there on those songs in places.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 26, 2017 13:38

The guitar overdubs are subtle and only a learned listener would pick them up..they are neglible.
The album is my fav live album.
Give me all MSG shows in a box set please...

Date: February 26, 2017 14:15

Are these the original Carol and LQ tracks involved?

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 26, 2017 14:57

TheflyingDutchman
Are these the original Carol and LQ tracks involved?

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Original LQ i believe.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: February 26, 2017 15:03

While I understand about the overdubs,wasn't it Keith that said he didn't like Taylor's rhythm playing that it was too "chugga chugga" I mean the sound and tone of Taylor's chugga chugga on Rambler as they are quieting down in the middle part sounds a lot like the same rhythm tone and "chugga chugga" parts in Carol and LW. Chugga chugga may not be the right sound or whatever wording Keith used. It's been a long time since I read someone posting about that.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: February 26, 2017 17:40

59 years old. It's all because of ya ya's.

Date: February 26, 2017 23:08

bigmac7895
While I understand about the overdubs,wasn't it Keith that said he didn't like Taylor's rhythm playing that it was too "chugga chugga" I mean the sound and tone of Taylor's chugga chugga on Rambler as they are quieting down in the middle part sounds a lot like the same rhythm tone and "chugga chugga" parts in Carol and LW. Chugga chugga may not be the right sound or whatever wording Keith used. It's been a long time since I read someone posting about that.

I don't believe it was Keith who talked about Taylor like that. Only a moron would say so, even if it was Keith doing that Taylor overdub anyway, as it sounds like Taylor-lite, compared to the juicy MSG'69 Carol clip I posted:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 27, 2017 00:49

TheflyingDutchman
bigmac7895

I don't believe it was Keith who talked about Taylor like that. Only a moron would say so, even if it was Keith doing that Taylor overdub anyway, as it sounds like Taylor-lite, compared to the juicy MSG'69 Carol clip I posted:

[www.youtube.com]

keith has never said anything negative about mick taylors guitar playing,rhythm,lead or otherwise.it was probably a fan who had no idea what they were talking about that the qoute came from.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 27, 2017 01:31

Palace Revolution 2000
Rockman

I mean

One point of brilliance of the album is the sequencing; and the subtle ways the built she set.
We all know that the spoken parts, and the "Paint it black" didnt happen the way we hear them on the record. But for so many years this became how a Stones show ran for us. After JJF Jagger raps about his pants, and it busts right into 'Carol'. "Sympathy" starts kind of as an answer to the chick calling out "paint it black you devil". "Honky Tonk Woman" will always follow "Charlie's good tonite". And my favorite quote is "NYC you talk a lot let's have a look atcha" and bop right into 'Queenie'.
I mean, they had to sit there and discuss this. Someone moved that quote there because....Why?
And catching the audience at times; in the stops on "Rambler" there is the guy yelling "God Damn!" which is just so perfect I can't even put it into words. And then on ( I think) the next stop someone unleashes this bloodcurdling scream "Yeeeaaaoowww!"

Remarkable re. the 69 tour is how early they did the whole acoustic set; and how long they stayed low. For obvious reasons they don't do it at Altamont; instead they premiere "Brown Sugar". And I had never noticed that they play it right after "Thumb";

GREAT TAKE

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 27, 2017 01:31

Rockman

BEAUTIFUL TAKE

Date: February 27, 2017 02:30

TheflyingDutchman
bigmac7895

[www.youtube.com]

Good to know that was fake news. I personally love Taylor's playing rhythm and lead. Maybe I dreamed that or read it on an old IORR post.

Date: February 27, 2017 10:39

Let me first add that I like Taylor's rhythm playing on Ya Yas. I'm a big Status Quo-fan, and that «chugga-chugga»-thing is not far off from what Rick Parfitt (RIP) did.

His approach to rhythm was (when the Stones played rock'n'roll) somewhat leaning more towards harder rock, though, especially on stage. In the studio, all his playing adapted beautifully to the band's sound, imo.

This is what Keith said about the matter:

It was much harder to get a Rolling Stones sound with Mick (Taylor). It was much more lead and rhythm, one way or the other. As fabulous as he is as a lead guitarist, he wasn't as great as a rhythm player, so we ended up taking roles. Chemically we didn't have that flexibility in the band. It was, You do this, and I'll do that, and never the twain shall meet.

- Keith Richards, 1977

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 10:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 27, 2017 12:18

DandelionPowderman
Let me first add that I like Taylor's rhythm playing on Ya Yas. I'm a big Status Quo-fan, and that «chugga-chugga»-thing is not far off from what Rick Parfitt (RIP) did.

His approach to rhythm was (when the Stones played rock'n'roll) somewhat leaning more towards harder rock, though, especially on stage. In the studio, all his playing adapted beautifully to the band's sound, imo.

It was much harder to get a Rolling Stones sound with Mick (Taylor). It was much more lead and rhythm, one way or the other. As fabulous as he is as a lead guitarist, he wasn't as great as a rhythm player, so we ended up taking roles. Chemically we didn't have that flexibility in the band. It was, You do this, and I'll do that, and never the twain shall meet.

- Keith Richards, 1977

I have to disagree with Keith then grinning smiley and I even don't believe he meant it that arrogant or black and white: A Rolling Stones sound is defined by the players who are a member of that band, be it lead or rhythm in this case. But thanks for the quote.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 12:21 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 27, 2017 12:48

hbwriter
Palace Revolution 2000
Rockman

I mean

GREAT TAKE

And the general disorientating, dizzying vibe is heightened by that fog thick echo and overlaying of Ladies n gentlemen, the Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World...The Rolling Stones. It's dirty rock'n'roll in all its glory and as far away from this cold, clinical digital age of perfect recordings as you can get.

Even though its recorded in a large arena it still sounds up close and personal - more like a club date than a huge venue.

Date: February 27, 2017 12:51

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1977

I have to disagree with Keith then grinning smiley and I even don't believe he meant it that arrogant or black and white: A Rolling Stones sound is defined by the players who are a member of that band, be it lead or rhythm in this case. But thanks for the quote.smiling smiley

He was probably refering to the 7 years with Brian, and how he was used to play off another guitarist. He's not actually saying anything negative here, imo - only that they had to rework how they interplayed.

Date: February 27, 2017 13:23

I understand, quotes are often taken out of context. That's what makes them misleading every now and then. Btw, I believe there are quite a few more overdubs
than the ones quoted here. My guess would be that Keith dubbed some parts of his (splendid btw) lead on "Carol". JJF edited as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 13:28 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:33

Paint it Black you dirty devil

Date: February 28, 2017 09:40

TheflyingDutchman
bigmac7895

[www.youtube.com]

Great clip. Its remarkable that at 1:14 they do that same kind of break that everyone loves on offcial version; where there is no lead in between singing, but just the rhythm machine.
Just want to say, somewhere earlier I think I specifically used the "chugga" term. But I mean it 100% as a plus.
There is one subtlety that I notice in the rhtym playing. Taylor will include the 7th; which Keith very rarely does.

Date: February 28, 2017 13:06

So the overdubs that Chris M analyzed and others are speaking to are more than likely vocal and Keith redoing his solo parts on a few songs, plus erasing Taylor's lead on JJF? It appears Taylor's parts are still there on the songs he played rhythm. I remember reading on one song there appears to be 3 parts but I have never heard using good headphones any point on Ya Yas where there is 3 guitars.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home