Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Blue & Lonesome
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 22, 2017 03:58

It's blues music played by rock and rollers. In 1963 the stones didn't have their rock and roll chops developed yet so their approach to the blues was more naive and closer to the original (Little red rooster). But that Blue and lonesome record has heart anyway and that is a great achievement after all those successfull years.
Rockandroll,
mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:18

Witness
HMS
GasLightStreet
Album - a collection of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.

That describes TATTOO YOU. Seeing that nothing had been released until it was finished, when and where has no relevance - something you're very familiar with.

Blue And Lonesome = new album
Jump Back = compilation album of previously released material
TY = compilation album of previously unreleased, revisited and finished material

therefore TY isn´t a genuine new Rolling Stones album, what is so hard to understand about it? Any bunch of songs can be called "album" but not every "album" is a "new studio album". They marketed TY as a "new studio album", which it wasn´t. YOUR constant ignorance could drive braver men than me to tears...

Within the timespan from SOME GIRLS up to and including UNDERCOVER, there was a sequence of more or less related new studio albums SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER. Within the said time span, but outside that sequence of named albums, there was one other new studio album TATTOO YOU, with its own particular details, but genuinely new album as such. It is all very adequate to be or become aware of those details about dates, but it does not in any way change the album status of TATTOO YOU. Is there really so much more to say about album status, given such details?

Only if you're an idiot. Which obviously continues with the poser.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:19

HMS
GasLightStreet
Album - a collection of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.

That describes TATTOO YOU. Seeing that nothing had been released until it was finished, when and where has no relevance - something you're very familiar with.

Blue And Lonesome = new album
Jump Back = compilation album of previously released material
TY = compilation album of previously unreleased, revisited and finished material

therefore TY isn´t a genuine new Rolling Stones album, what is so hard to understand about it? Any bunch of songs can be called "album" but not every "album" is a "new studio album". They marketed TY as a "new studio album", which it wasn´t. YOUR constant ignorance could drive braver men than me to tears...

You're wrong. Yet AGAIN.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2017 07:15

Blue & Lonesome ....
Loved it from first play ... been a close friend ever since and I still love it ...xfx

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 22, 2017 08:02

Blue & Lonesome is a very special album. It takes you to a place. It's production and sound was not as I anticipated... it was more rock based and lively.. (yet much of it is also so old school audibly).

It is unlike any other recent album and only the Stones could do it. Not saying it's better than anything over the past five years .. BUT guess what.. it's unique and in it's own category because there has been nothing else like it.

The album is better than stripped .. definitely. The album will live on and will have awesome long jevity. In one word.. Blue & Lonesome is 'special'.

Or as my buddy said... Blue and Lonesome is 'the shit' -

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 22, 2017 08:43

matxil
Isn't this a bit early? Only a month ago we still had a very long thread about this. ...

Weren't the track talks even earlier?

Date: February 22, 2017 10:21

The amount of posts in one day tells me that the timing wasn't actually that bad smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2017 10:26

All's fine Dandeeeeeee .... let her roll ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 22, 2017 10:48

the guitars are buried too far in the mix.

Date: February 22, 2017 11:17

keefriffhard4life

Are they?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 22, 2017 11:50

DandelionPowderman
The amount of posts in one day tells me that the timing wasn't actually that bad smiling smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 22, 2017 17:12

This was trailed as a blues album, recorded spontaneously or whatever and finished in a few days (comparatively).

To me it sounds sterile, Jagger over performs the vocals and there's too much harp.

To any new fans looking in: if you want to hear the Stones play the blues all you need is the Chess Sessions and Bright Lights Big City. The No 2 album and 5x5 EP are atmospheric and show the band's love of the music.

Oh God, I loved this band so much in the 60s and 70s but all they do now is disappoint.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 22, 2017 18:23

May I humbly suggest that you lower your expectations or better yet do not have any expectations and then sometimes we get surprised in life .

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 22, 2017 20:14

I have been LIVING with this cd, it's in my car cd player and I have not gotten tired of it in the least. I agree with you, ROSS, the lack of self-consciousness is so obvious! It's the OLD STONES ATTITUDE, take it or leave it, this is WHO WE ARE! You can almost taste that balls to the wall vibe! And yes, it seems like we're listening in on a soundcheck or rehearsal but that is precisely why it's so DAMN GREAT! I want another album with this exact energy! I don't want to hear this called a " come back album " because the STONES never GO AWAY!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 22, 2017 22:50

One of the better albums. It bring me back to the roots every time I listen to it What do you want from guys in the 70's Sticky Fingers?

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: February 23, 2017 01:07

I enjoy the two tracks that Eric Clapton is on.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 23, 2017 04:13

I just put this poster up... again

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 23, 2017 05:02

if you love The Stones I think its really difficult not to love this album. Unexpected surprise, and a reset really for what they may produce next. Authentic as they can get, and wow don't they just sound superb?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 23, 2017 05:50

Rip This
... wow don't they just sound superb?
Yes... yes they do smoking smiley
I know its only rock and roll... but I like it... like it... yes I do

Date: February 23, 2017 06:27

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

Are they?

[www.youtube.com]

through most of the album yes. the 2 songs Clapton plays on the guitars are up in the mix. 2-3 other tunes the guitars break through. that's max 5 tunes

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 23, 2017 08:31

I think the truly great album they recorded in basically two days is December's Children. Also a handfull of covers but oh so sublime and actually naturally 'authentic' true Rolling Stones from start to finish perfect.
And those originals aint' too shabby either.

Date: February 23, 2017 08:43

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

Are they?

[www.youtube.com]

through most of the album yes. the 2 songs Clapton plays on the guitars are up in the mix. 2-3 other tunes the guitars break through. that's max 5 tunes

I can't hear that. Had you said bass I would have agreed.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 23, 2017 09:06

Dandee

what about the piano ?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2017 09:51

I think the mix is great for this album.

Nothing is too prominent and it allows you to get the band working as a unit.

My only criticism sound wise might be that, possibly due the retro mic'ing techniques, Mick's voice clips and hardens up a bit on occasion, losing some of the natural vocal timbre.

Date: February 23, 2017 09:55

djgab
Dandee

what about the piano ?

On many songs Matt's wurlitzer is all there is. It's merely filling in in the soundscape.

On All Of Your Love, however, there is some nice, tasteful piano playing from Chuck - and it's audible smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 23, 2017 13:47

Why should I lower my expectations? It's precisely because nearly everyone else here does just that means the band can get away with releasing this stuff. They've been playing the blues for over 50 years yet have lost the feel with this album. I know a dozen UK pub bands who could play blues better than this, including most of the tribute bands.

If all you want is to praise everything they chuck at you then go ahead. The King's new clothes all over again.

Date: February 23, 2017 13:49

Elmo
Why should I lower my expectations? It's precisely because nearly everyone else here does just that means the band can get away with releasing this stuff. They've been playing the blues for over 50 years yet have lost the feel with this album. I know a dozen UK pub bands who could play blues better than this, including most of the tribute bands.

If all you want is to praise everything they chuck at you then go ahead. The King's new clothes all over again.

Then you obviously appreciate technical stuff more than the band's sound. That unique sound is still there.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 23, 2017 14:11

HankM
I just put this poster up... again

grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 23, 2017 14:28

Little rain is the one that stuck with me.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 23, 2017 15:28

There's a couple I like; and it's always nice to hear any Stones come up on any contemporary radio. It's not an important album to me though; I did spend some time with it, at first out of curiosity and fan love to a degree; but also just let it flow on in the background and took some time to let it get to me; and had some high and lows with it; but honestly in my case I haven't gone back to it; I will again from time to time for tracks I'm sure. Upon very first listening to the singles I thought "fresh pleasantry" sort of a treat...and the first two are well chosen; they are easiest to enjoy for me. I like 'em.

I'm on a Jelly Roll Morton kick this week but I do keep my ears open to stuff that's new in a lot of genres. As far as the 'authenticity' simulation and PR well, it worked, it was something to print and these days those are good sales but really I'm not getting a cut and do not care.

I'm sure they used 'authentic' equipment and Was could replicate and craft away; and there's that over=driven sound, almost more of a gimmick than a natural sonic expression in this case. It's one way of looking at it anyway.

Obviously it dosen't stop my interest in them or hopes for a new album; I'm here; I'm always wanting to hang with Stones fans and rock and roll fans...and in some ways Jelly Roll has that rock and roll thing and more all figured out early the last century...and it's more sonically pleasant in some weird way somehow. The true authenticity of burning creativity and the stomping rush of joy shines through; with whatever technology in any decade since Edison Records cylinders.

K proves this at the height of his natural powers and starts the production of one of their most important and ever eternal tracks by letting the natural over-drive of dinky portable cassette player warmly shredding what turns into an almost viciously precision cutting machine out of an acoustic guitar track, no overdubs. haha.

I wish they'd change producers; aside from VL I really don't think Was is helping things, more utilitarian; The Chuck Leavell of producers.
I mean maybe there wouldn't have been an album at all without someone who could run with the concept and get someting out there and produce that.
And maybe with what he had to work with as the original songwriting tracks morphed more into this one cover LP first...I don't really know for sure. I think there's a lot of ready-made myth about this and it was probably produced pretty heavily, looped and dubbed some of those rhythm guitars....Ron and Keith both have glorious mmoments, as could be expected...as do all of four of them...

And just to balance the endless praise from fans who are really finding it great and are wildly into it, which I do appreciate and am glad to see so many satisifed friends and fans but...these are my impressons.

I'm satisfied too, I just don't take this album too seriously; I'd like to, I just go elsewhere for what feels deeper and more resonant to me personally. Sometimes that's other Stones LPs...Lots of times it's special tracks or live tracks from here or there; a lot of that...I'm also on a December's Children kick.

It did get me back into Little Walter and deeper into his history and story and I appreciate that very much. I seriously do.

On I can't quit you baby; it's like a crash course in everything that keeps our Michael more the posturing clown and not the special resonant soulful naturally cerative and dynamic voice I KNOW he still has. Which is miraculous! Just listen to Country Honk from Ole Ole backstage clip. So I'm another old dedicated original ffan and sometimes think fans spend more time with the Stones than The Stones spend serious time with The Stones, as far as recorded studio work goes...

The one I really love is 'everybody knows about my good thing'; that one is a gem i get the biggest kick out of; and DO go back for that one. that's a good un for sure; a track I value and appreciate.

And like BV keeps telling us; it's a certain point in their trajectory where any and everything they might do or come up with is dramatic and personally important to those who really kind of just love them; and the whole saga. I really liked more of VL than most fans; and I really liked D&G and One More Shot so I'm not hating Don Was or anything; I just think it's time to move on...and this could be the last time I don't know. I'm so grateful for a few on ABB I can't even tell you!

On "I Can't Quit You..." Mick's the weakest link in the chain. Sort of like Screamin' Jay HaWkins kind of Halloween shtick. Over done; over-blown; it's like vaudeville take on the blues or almost a satire. Not that funny.

As far as track by track and part by part; well I'm not going to dissect it too deeply. I think it's more of a concept and delivery system than a really creative soulful thing. Good to hear Eric; always good to hear anything K and C are doing but...that's my bit of 'album talk' on this one...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 16:43 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home