Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rediscovering TSMR
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:30

I love 2000 Light Years, 2000 Man, Citadel and She's A Rainbow. Apart from those I can't really get into the rest of the album. The other songs seem to just wander in a druggy haze without much direction. Bill Wyman's tune is a novelty but not really an example of what I want from the Stones. But oh man, how they did find a new mojo with JJF!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 6, 2017 12:20

HonkeyTonkFlash
I love 2000 Light Years, 2000 Man, Citadel and She's A Rainbow. Apart from those I can't really get into the rest of the album. The other songs seem to just wander in a druggy haze without much direction. Bill Wyman's tune is a novelty but not really an example of what I want from the Stones. But oh man, how they did find a new mojo with JJF!

I really love The Lantern. I agree with Redhotcarpet on this one (for once!). It might even be the strongest track on the album, and a centerpiece.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 6, 2017 12:59

"Sing This All Together" BAD 0/10
"Citadel" GOOD 8/10
"In Another Land" OH WELL 6/10
"2000 Man" SHRUG 5/10
"Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" LET's PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED
"She's a Rainbow" GOOD 9/10
"The Lantern" GOOD 7/10
"Gomper" MWAH START 5/10 THEN ENDS INTO LET's PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED
"2000 Light Years from Home" GOOD 8/10
"On with the Show" LET's PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED

Date: February 6, 2017 13:54

matxil
"Citadel" GOOD 8/10
"2000 Man" SHRUG 5/10
"The Lantern" GOOD 7/10

8/10 and 9/10 are not merely «good». That's closer to «excellent», isn't it?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2017 14:53

Spud and Red Hot Carpet have got it right - it's an 'experience' album that needs to be listened to in its entirety.

Heard in isolation perhaps only the three obvious songs - Citadel, She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home - would stand alone and up to scrutiny in this day and age.

But heard as a complete work in one go then the album is a great psychedelic adventure that is full of charm and good humour. And yes, Sing This Song All Together (See What Happens) and Gomper belong on there as much as Within You, Without You belongs on Sgt Pepper.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2017 15:00

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

I really love The Lantern. I agree with Redhotcarpet on this one (for once!). It might even be the strongest track on the album, and a centerpiece.

Yes! (I agree with you on various subjects but dont tell anyone). Yes The Lantern is exactly that, a centerpiece. Well put. And I have to say that to my ears and eyes this is not Sgt Pepper by the Stones. Sgt Pepper is something else. This is the Stones in acid and prog country more than Pepperland. Sure the opening track and the idea of a reprise and a show is copied but not the music.

"Sing This All Together" as a song it is a 0/10. As an opener to this particular album it is somehow, strangely, necessary. Perhaps a 3/10.
"Citadel" 7/10 (it's a great track but I have to save the high ratings for their true masterpieces and their great album songs/fillers etc).
"In Another Land" 2/10 (the structure isnt bad actually but the lyrics and the vocals suck except for the "awoke" part. Wyman has contributed in oh some many ways to many songs, studio and live, but this song is crap).
"2000 Man" 4/10 (well, no, sorry not a very good song. Some parts are good, the energy is great. again, they have so many good fillers on other albums)
"Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" They could have kept the intro and just created some collage. 1/10
"She's a Rainbow" 6/10 (overrated flower pop dity I dont care for)
"The Lantern" 8/10 (I want to say 10/10)
"Gomper" 5/10 (necessary to the album)
"2000 Light Years from Home" 8/10 (10/10 in some ways but gotta save those high numbers)
"On with the Show" 2/10

Shakers (Swedish garage band) - Sing This All Together - 45rpm Rolling Stones Cover! 1968
video: [www.youtube.com]

That said this is still a favourite of mine. As an album it's not a five or four, more like 6/10. If this was the only album by them Id rate The Lantern 10/10, Citadel 9/10, 2000 light 10/10, Rainbow 8/10, 2000 man 6/10 etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 15:04 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2017 15:01

video: [www.youtube.com]

and here's the original Sing this song. eye rolling smiley

Date: February 6, 2017 15:57

DandelionPowderman
matxil
"Citadel" GOOD 8/10
"2000 Man" SHRUG 5/10
"The Lantern" GOOD 7/10

True. But this is a scale solely invented for the TSMR album. It's not an absolute scale.
I mean, compared to Gimme Shelter, Jumping Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice or Let It Loose, Citadel and She's a Rainbow would be somewhere between 6 or 7 (She's a Rainbow maybe close to 8). So: good, not excellent.

Date: February 6, 2017 16:00

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
"Citadel" GOOD 8/10
"2000 Man" SHRUG 5/10
"The Lantern" GOOD 7/10

True. But this is a scale solely invented for the TSMR album. It's not an absolute scale.
I mean, compared to Gimme Shelter, Jumping Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice or Let It Loose, Citadel and She's a Rainbow would be somewhere between 6 or 7 (She's a Rainbow maybe close to 8). So: good, not excellent.

grinning smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 6, 2017 16:05

Critics always say that TSMR was inspired by Sgt. Pepper's, but to me it sounds more inspired by Piper at the Gates of Dawn than anything else.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 6, 2017 16:43

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
"Citadel" GOOD 8/10
"2000 Man" SHRUG 5/10
"The Lantern" GOOD 7/10

However, your verdict is not neutral. It depends on your taste. Mine may for instance be, if I judge the parts and not the parts as constituting a whole (even if, I am not able to do that). Because here the total is greater than the parts.

"Sing This All Together" 7,5/10
"Citadel" 7,5/10
"In Another Land" 9,5/10
"2000 Man" 8/10
"Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" 7/10
"She's a Rainbow" 10/10
"The Lantern" 9,5/10
"Gomper" 10/10
"2000 Light Years from Home" 10 one (or two) *(*)/10
"On with the Show" 9/10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 16:44 by Witness.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 6, 2017 16:59

The Worst.
Critics always say that TSMR was inspired by Sgt. Pepper's, but to me it sounds more inspired by Piper at the Gates of Dawn than anything else.

The weirdest parts of TSMR indeed sound rather "floydish" than "beatle-esque".

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2017 17:13

My ratings for TSMR

Sing This All Together 5/10
Citadel 9/10
In Another Land 7/10
2000 Man 8/10
Sing This All Together (See What Happens) 4/10
She's A Rainbow 10/10
The Lantern 8/10
Gomper 6/10
2000 Light Years From Home" 10/10
On With The Show 7/10

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2017 06:32

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

The Lantern is oddly good... in a weird B-side way. Pink Floyd indeed.

TSMR as an EP:

We Love You
Citadel
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow
2000 Light Years From Home

That would've been a much more respectable release.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 7, 2017 17:22

That would be a solid EP, GasLight.

Would this be a better album? It seems Gomper and STAT(See What Happens) are the most bashed.

Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow

Dandelion
The Lantern
We Love You
On With The Show

Date: February 7, 2017 17:36

Ross

Would this be a better album? It seems Gomper and STAT(See What Happens) are the most bashed.

Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow

Dandelion
The Lantern
We Love You
On With The Show

Take out the remaining Sing This All Together, 2000 Man and On With The Show, maybe add Child of the Moon and you'd have an odd but very enjoyable and certainly artistically good album.

Date: February 7, 2017 17:52

Ross

Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow

Dandelion
The Lantern
We Love You
On With The Show

I always forget that Dandelion was, although started for BTB, worked on and finished for TSMR. Great tune.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 7, 2017 18:00

At that time, the band was more daring than at least today's fans. Thank you for that! But on the basis of such responses, no wonder about the warhorse dominated setlists of the latest decades. So richly deserved!

Date: February 7, 2017 22:27

matxil
Ross

Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow

Dandelion
The Lantern
We Love You
On With The Show

Take out the remaining Sing This All Together, 2000 Man and On With The Show, maybe add Child of the Moon and you'd have an odd but very enjoyable and certainly artistically good album.

Perhaps, but I was shooting for full album length with the better tracks from the sessions. STAT and On With The Show aren't great, but they do kind of frame the album and I think the segway from STAT to Citadel is cool. I love 2000 Man, but Child of the Moon, although it fits the vibe, was recorded in 1968, not part of the Satanic Sessions. It would definitely improve the album, but the next album was much better!!

Date: February 7, 2017 22:57

Witness
At that time, the band was more daring than at least today's fans. Thank you for that! But on the basis of such responses, no wonder about the warhorse dominated setlists of the latest decades. So richly deserved!

Well put!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 7, 2017 23:26

"sing this...and what happens " jam is not that bad...and "sing this all together" is a good opening track for such an album...

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 23:51

Very psychedelic, loose and fun, very English sounding, colorfully musical, there are some gems on here. She's definable as a rainbow.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 8, 2017 00:26

hopkins
Other than very rarely hearing the more obviously well known tracks now & again, I really haven't taken this seriously for more years that some of the fans here have been alive but I sort of stumbled on it and got engaged and let it play all the way through the full album as released, and don't throw too many bricks but I loved it all the way through; I hope I'm not having a flash back or something; trying to think back to when it was released; I got into it; I loved a few right off the bat but even in '67 it wasn't a particular favorite all thru so I was delightfully surprised; I really just loved it; felt really comfortable with all of it; a lot of stuff I had thought second rate really shone. I know it's the easy one to slag but I'm recasting it's place in my casual list of the disography rating; I think there are at least a half-dozen studio LP's I'd rate below it easily now. Maybe more. I was surprised it was engaging as a whole piece and now I'm a real fan of this whole album.

Did you listen to the Mono or Stereo version? It's even better in Mono. Tight, kick-ass rock album. Essential to have in Mono.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:23

matxil
Ross

Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow

Dandelion
The Lantern
We Love You
On With The Show

Alas, Child Of The Moon was never worked on for TSMR, it was only started.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 9, 2017 21:09

TSMR stands for Their Satanic Majesties Request. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. Hopkins, if you want people to participate in your thread, you need to be more specific. Not being sarcastic, but just trying to help out.

If I said my favorite Stones songs were GGA, TAY, LWYD, or SS, would you instantly know what I was referring to?

Date: February 9, 2017 23:16

Gotta Get Away, Talking About You, Look What You've Done and Soul Survivor?

Good exercise for the brain smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2017 23:27

flilflam
TSMR stands for Their Satanic Majesties Request. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. Hopkins, if you want people to participate in your thread, you need to be more specific. Not being sarcastic, but just trying to help out.

If I said my favorite Stones songs were GGA, TAY, LWYD, or SS, would you instantly know what I was referring to?

The abbreviation thing does get a little frustrating when it's overused, but TMSR is a very common one around these parts. Like YCAGWYW, LSTNT, and CYHMK, it saves a lot of typing for the longer-named songs. But using it for shorter titles (S for Sway?) can be confusing. Your SS Example could be Soul Survivor or Star Star.

Re: Rediscovering 'Their Satanic Majesties Request'
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 10, 2017 01:37

Ross
flilflam

The abbreviation thing does get a little frustrating when it's overused, but TMSR is a very common one around these parts. Like YCAGWYW, LSTNT, and CYHMK, it saves a lot of typing for the longer-named songs. But using it for shorter titles (S for Sway?) can be confusing. Your SS Example could be Soul Survivor or Star Star.

done thank you. good point.
flilflam, sorry for the confusion smileys with beer

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 03:55 by hopkins.

Re: Rediscovering 'Their Satanic Majesties Request'
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2017 11:54

I guess I should go listen to Majesties again. While I've continued to listen to the standout tracks, it's been so long that I can't even remember what Gomper or Lantern sounded like. But in my general history of Stones fandom, this is the only album where I've let some of it completely disappear from my memory. Guess those tracks didn't leave much of an original impression.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 10, 2017 12:44

flilflam

Yes, it's difficult, and at the beginning I was constantly at a loss but after a while you get used to it. The longer ones (YCAGWYW) are the easiest. It's the short ones that are more diffucult but normally they're only used for the greatest hits. I don't think I have ever seen someone referring to certain songs as H or S or S or S or S smiling smiley. Sometimes googling helps too (i.e. try "Rolling Stones SFTD" ).
Still, the distinction between Beggars Banquet, Between The Buttons, Black And Blue, Bridges To Babylon and Brigit Bardotte often escapes me.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home