Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: US Tour 1969
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: February 2, 2017 08:59

oldschool
stanlove
My mind is blown that there are people on this thread who are talking about the entire MSQ concert being the Holy Grail instead of the entire Altamonte concert and much more film was Altamonte period.

Why does this blow your mind? personally I think the MSG shows were fantastic and we know all three have multitrack audio and it sounds like the Maysles Brothers have more video in the archive.

Besides I grew up going to concerts at MSG and it was one of my favorite venues back in the day.

Don't get me wrong I would also love a complete Altamont audio and video of the concert as I think the performance was also very good but don't think we will ever see it due to the bad juju associated with that event.

Actually I would settle for one complete 69 prorecorded concert with no overdubs but MSG is my holy grail.

Yes, it's my holy grail too. Actually, in my holy grail would be film of

1. A complete 1969 show (MSG or any)
2. Rfk stadium 1972
3. Sydney 1973
4. A 1975 outdoor show
5. A 1978 stadium show

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 2, 2017 17:56

john lomax
oldschool
stanlove
My mind is blown that there are people on this thread who are talking about the entire MSQ concert being the Holy Grail instead of the entire Altamonte concert and much more film was Altamonte period.

Why does this blow your mind? personally I think the MSG shows were fantastic and we know all three have multitrack audio and it sounds like the Maysles Brothers have more video in the archive.

Besides I grew up going to concerts at MSG and it was one of my favorite venues back in the day.

Don't get me wrong I would also love a complete Altamont audio and video of the concert as I think the performance was also very good but don't think we will ever see it due to the bad juju associated with that event.

Actually I would settle for one complete 69 prorecorded concert with no overdubs but MSG is my holy grail.

Yes, it's my holy grail too. Actually, in my holy grail would be film of

1. A complete 1969 show (MSG or any)
2. Rfk stadium 1972
3. Sydney 1973
4. A 1975 outdoor show
5. A 1978 stadium show

Great choices for vault archive releases!

Would also love to have a complete pro recorded show from the 1970 Europe tour as well as they were still very tight from 69 tour. They played several new songs and had not yet started to speed up the tempo of some of the old songs, like Midnight Rambler, as they would on later early 70's tours. I prefer the pace and tempo the way they played on the 69 U.S. tour myself.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 2, 2017 18:50

All the film from '69 should be released. Miami Pop Festival, MSG, Baltimore and Altamont(of course). The Maysals recorded on all these shows. I can understand that some of the parts from Altamont wouldn't ad to their legacy in a positive way, but for the vaults series it would be perfect for us hard core fans that still are interested in their past. Noone cares about these releases anyway, so noone would be offended. Just my opinion...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 18:52 by S.T.P.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 2, 2017 21:11

S.T.P
All the film from '69 should be released. Miami Pop Festival, MSG, Baltimore and Altamont(of course). The Maysals recorded on all these shows. I can understand that some of the parts from Altamont wouldn't ad to their legacy in a positive way, but for the vaults series it would be perfect for us hard core fans that still are interested in their past. Noone cares about these releases anyway, so noone would be offended. Just my opinion...

Don't know STP, in this day and age of political correctness I am not so sure The Stones would not take some heavy criticism if they released more Altamont video. Every year around the anniversary some journalist writes about that day so it is an important day in rock history for all the wrong reasons.

In any case are we sure the Maysles Bros videoed at Baltimore and Miami? I thought I had read it was only MSG, Muscle Schoals and Altamont?

Have we ever seen any video from Baltimore and Miami?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 2, 2017 22:07

As far as I know the Maysals started prepearing for Altamont with filming at least parts of Miami. When it comes to Baltimore there is already evidence in Gimme Shelter with Love In Vain.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2017 22:36

I don't think a commercial release of Altamont would be met positively. Making more bucks off a tragedy? (Would be the question). Didn't they already make enough money off Altamont? (Gimme Shelter). A complete concert from '69 would be great. Gimme Shelter doesn't even have complete cuts for many of the songs.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 3, 2017 00:43

24FPS
I don't think a commercial release of Altamont would be met positively. Making more bucks off a tragedy? (Would be the question). Didn't they already make enough money off Altamont? (Gimme Shelter). A complete concert from '69 would be great. Gimme Shelter doesn't even have complete cuts for many of the songs.

Well, they already made a lot of money off of the tragedy with one major film that is highly regarded. This show was a major milestone, for better or worse, in their legacy. And they played their asses off. That said, there may be legal complications we are not aware of. I'd love to see the video of Mick introducing "Brown Sugar" though.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 3, 2017 13:08

S.T.P
As far as I know the Maysals started prepearing for Altamont with filming at least parts of Miami. When it comes to Baltimore there is already evidence in Gimme Shelter with Love In Vain.

Is that Love In Vain in GS from Baltimore? Its definitely the audio but the footage could be MSG...
Obviously baltimore was professionally recorded (audio).
Palm Beach would be cool to see.
Altamont....holy grail

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 4, 2017 00:11

DandelionPowderman
People are standing still, clapping politely.. On THAT show? smiling smiley

DP, I was 16 In 1969 when I first saw the Stones in Chicago. I had been a big fan since the early records came out so seeing my favorite band for the 1st time was kind of both really exciting and a "wow"type experience. To be honest, I think many of us fans were kind of stunned not only by how good the boys sounded, but how great the visuals were. No one knew what to expect. LIB had not yet been released so there was a lot of that we had never heard and then wham, you get MR, Love in Vain, Live With Me at the concert I went to. The last album we knew was BB. We all started applauding during Midnight Rambler as they went into the middle thinking the song was over. We didn't know what was to come. It was a terrific setlist of course, but who knew what was coming next?

So the people in the film to a large degree look like many of us did. Shock and awe. Everyone was rocking though later on once those house lights went up. You knew the deal was on. Yea, it was the sh*t.

Well Alright!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 4, 2017 00:36

<<It was only three short years since the Stones toured the States in 1969, but it may have well been thirty. No more screaming crowds or 30 minute sets as was the standard in 1966. Audiences could now hear the music being played and they were listening. The 1969 tour was triumphant return to live performance with a band again capable of touring.>>

This is ChrisM's introductory statement from his insightful "Ya-Ya's" article. People WERE listening at the time. I recall exiting the 11/8, 2nd show thinking that the show was more low key than I thought it was going to be. It opened and closed with a rush, but I remember being grateful that the pace of the show was picking up with the intro to UMT. True, it was WELL past midnight, but on boots of other shows you can hear Jagger trying to prod a reaction out of the audience. I also remember being disappointed that after such a long wait the band played a little over an hour. Nonetheless it was a night I remember to this day. Even at the time I realized I had witnessed something historic.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: February 7, 2017 20:54

The last time I saw Albert Maysles and Haskell Wexler.. still talking shop..

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: February 8, 2017 19:41

bmuseed
The last time I saw Albert Maysles and Haskell Wexler.. still talking shop..

Great !

Date: February 8, 2017 19:59

filstan
DandelionPowderman
People are standing still, clapping politely.. On THAT show? smiling smiley

DP, I was 16 In 1969 when I first saw the Stones in Chicago. I had been a big fan since the early records came out so seeing my favorite band for the 1st time was kind of both really exciting and a "wow"type experience. To be honest, I think many of us fans were kind of stunned not only by how good the boys sounded, but how great the visuals were. No one knew what to expect. LIB had not yet been released so there was a lot of that we had never heard and then wham, you get MR, Love in Vain, Live With Me at the concert I went to. The last album we knew was BB. We all started applauding during Midnight Rambler as they went into the middle thinking the song was over. We didn't know what was to come. It was a terrific setlist of course, but who knew what was coming next?

So the people in the film to a large degree look like many of us did. Shock and awe. Everyone was rocking though later on once those house lights went up. You knew the deal was on. Yea, it was the sh*t.

Well Alright!

thumbs up

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:36

keith56
i don't know if some of you have seen this little clip before, but i think it's
interesting ...video: [vimeo.com]

I have never seen this video before! Thank you so much for posting it!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:12

dis iz ol newz

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home