Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Youtube ABKCO alternate song versions
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 27, 2017 17:27

retired_dog
If that's all that ABKCO has for 1966, it's a bit disappointing, but it's also possible that they just used those tracks that they're aware of being leaked to the "public" at some point in the past.

It remains to be seen if "releasing" stuff for free on YouTube really helps in copyright prolongation terms.

Yeah, it's a bit strange. But I remember Sony made some shoddy '63 Dylan release a few years ago (2013 it must have been), just so they could retain the copyright. It was obvious they weren't going to make a proper release (like their well-made Bootleg Series) with that one, and it could be the same here -- maybe Abkco plan some real deluxe releases with other songs/takes and they put these out on youtube just to get it over with and keep the copyright.

I wonder, though, what the motivation for retaining copyrights is on stuff you don't really wanna bother with anyway. Maybe to keep the market from being "flooded" with cheap public domain releases of inferior material that may interfer with sales of better recordings.

Date: January 27, 2017 17:34

LieB
retired_dog
If that's all that ABKCO has for 1966, it's a bit disappointing, but it's also possible that they just used those tracks that they're aware of being leaked to the "public" at some point in the past.

It remains to be seen if "releasing" stuff for free on YouTube really helps in copyright prolongation terms.

Yeah, it's a bit strange. But I remember Sony made some shoddy '63 Dylan release a few years ago (2013 it must have been), just so they could retain the copyright. It was obvious they weren't going to make a proper release (like their well-made Bootleg Series) with that one, and it could be the same here -- maybe Abkco plan some real deluxe releases with other songs/takes and they put these out on youtube just to get it over with and keep the copyright.

I wonder, though, what the motivation for retaining copyrights is on stuff you don't really wanna bother with anyway. Maybe to keep the market from being "flooded" with cheap public domain releases of inferior material that may interfer with sales of better recordings.

Is it really that strange? They could do an Aftermath Deluxe, with the alternate MLH, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Have You Seen Your Mother, the Ready Steady Go-tracks + the Honolulu-show (where the best of the 1966 live tracks here are from).

I'd buy it anyway smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-27 17:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 27, 2017 17:40

I just meant that the whole thing is a bit strange with "copyright preservation" releases on youtube from a channel that don't really seem to be the real Abkco.
Could be some bootlegger that tries to look like Abkco, but I'm not sure what the reasons for that would be.

Great fun to find new releases every now and then, either way!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 27, 2017 19:29

Quite certain if the YT Channel wasn't legit, the Klein family would have sent in the hit squad and shut it down, by now.

Date: February 2, 2017 20:01

Looks like it's down now. At least access to the channel via phone is blocked - "no videos"...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 2, 2017 20:03

DandelionPowderman
Looks like it's down now. At least access to the channel via phone is blocked - "no videos"...

Same here, on my PC.

Date: February 3, 2017 12:00

Yikes!
Maybe they thought a 1 month period of availability was enough to keep the copyright.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home