Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ROLLING STONES "FREE CONCERT" in ROME
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 3, 2005 17:25

Anybody of you know the Location there near the Colloseum?? A place for 1 million people. Anybody saw macca or Simon and Garfunkel there? What about the Accoustic??? Well, if its become true i would come from Germany.

Re: ROLLING STONES "FREE CONCERT" in ROME
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 3, 2005 17:34

Sounds like Forum Romanum?
Don't think so but they use to have concerts a couple of 100 meters to the right when you're coming up from the Colloseum subway. But definitely not in this size.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2005 17:56

Will this be a totaly free concert or a concert with very low tickes prices, like Toronto in 2003? If i remember correctly the price for Toronto massive concert were about $10 (or not?). I am asking because the Stones (or personaly M. Cohl ) need the existence of the tickets to estimate the audince and to publish the number.

So, we'll have two very massive gigs during the tour. Copacabana and Rome, sum 700,000 or 800,000, or 1 million people. Interesting...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 3, 2005 18:12

I grew up in Rome and know the layout there. I am not exactly sure where they would fit half a million people. But my best friend whi still lives there and is a Stoner too, wrote me yesterday with the same news. He says it is for real. McCartney and Simon and Garfunkel and Elton all did similar shows there last few years. They must have fixed the inside of the Colsseo up becasuse there is only ruins inside there. If they play there I'm going.

Date: September 3, 2005 18:32

Nobody from Italy on this board to give more informations?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2005 18:39

liddas, perhaps ??

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: September 3, 2005 19:02

Is that not at the Circo Massimo, close to the Colloseum? In the old times the Circo Massimo was the biggest stadion in Rome. It used to hold up to 300'000 people. Today not much is left of the stadion, but it is used for large concerts.

The Live8 part of Rome took place here as well.

Sjouke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-03 19:03 by Sjouke.

Posted by: mauroo ()
Date: September 3, 2005 19:03

First of all, sorry for my bad english:-)
I think it's true, tonight will performs Elton John in the same place, a wonderfull and evocative location with the Colosseum in the background: in the past McCartney and Simon & Garfunkel, for a million people. The Stones new is on the papers today and was in the past days, in relation of the tonight concert (Elton), for now it's not confirmed, but is probable. The annual event is organized by Telecom, the biggest telecomunication company in Italy, and usually they play the event on italian tv RAI 1 or 2. Other news are that because of the biggest ever Bigger Bang stage, (that could "cover" the evocative collosseum view) maybe they will move the Stones concert to the Circo Massimo, another beautiful historic place, but it's just one voice. Friends of mine saw Macca 2 years ago and told me acoustic was not perfect, but it's normal in a big open space like that. The stage of Macca was builted for him by italian company, the stage of the Stones shoud be the same of this american tpur.
well, hope it comes true
see you all in Italy next summer!
Mauroo

Date: September 3, 2005 19:38

thanx mauroo. Macca and elton did free concerts there?

Date: September 3, 2005 20:23

Yes, macca and elton do it.
The place is fantastic and free concert is the best, don't you?
Hoping that rumours became reality, this is not the first time that we heard about this possibility...happens again one time in the past.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 3, 2005 20:39

Elton John's playing tomorrow. Macca did it in 2003, gathering 500.000 people. All these concerts have been for free. This breaking news about the Stones in Rome is nothing but great! Can't wait for the confirmation!!!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: schili ()
Date: September 3, 2005 20:56

i'm a big italian stones fan............sorry for my horrible english...........i saw Paul Mcartney and Simon &Garefunkel lat years.i arrived in the areaa little later and i found a huge number of persons.........impossible to arrive near the stage but a lot of huge videos showed the imagines and the sound for me was good,because for this kind of shows the stage is located just in back of the colosseum and in front of via dei fori imperiali as far as piazza venezia( see on a map of the center of rome) the place is 2000m for 200 and a capacity is 50000 - 600000 persons............the same capacity if the stones show is located in circo massimo area..............this night there is a big live gratis Elton JOHN PERFORMANCE BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE WAITING THERE SINCE THIS MORNING.........these concerts are spnsored by TELECOM and wanted by the great Rome's municipilty head VELTRONI, DEAR GELDOF'S FRIEND AND ROCK BIG LOVER...........if the next summer in this period Stones'll come to Rome i want to sleep the night before just in front of the stage..............the same for all you my friends

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 3, 2005 23:08

It is actually just outside Colloseum itself. There is a big area outside Colloseum where tourists are and also the road that leads to Forum Romanum. So Colloseum is barely the backdrop and the name of it. To be honest I don't think it will be a great show technically. Too complex with the crowd. Like SarsStock Toronto July 2003. But Rome is always great and it will be great for everyone that can come.

Bjornulf

Date: September 4, 2005 00:18

If its become true---Thousands of German Stones-fans will be there--BV

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 4, 2005 00:20

that Rome gig will b The Biggest Bang

Posted by: Treesnake2000 ()
Date: September 4, 2005 00:45

To those who are in Rome (or know Rome well):

Is the concert going to be held on Via dei Fori Imperiali? I grew up in Rome, but have not been back since they closed that street off to cars. Seems like rather a long and narrow concert venue, but I guess no-one expects a great view when it's free (or close to free) and they're trying to pack in hundreds of thousands of people.

If it IS Via dei Fori Imperiali, I believe that was also where the huge peace demonstration in Rome was held a couple of years ago. So, if you can recall the aerial views of the demonstration that were shown on TV, you can imagine what the venue will be like...

Posted by: maurizio ()
Date: September 4, 2005 00:54

yes it is via dei fori imperiali treesnake
everyone can go on maps.google.com search for rome
it's easy to recognize the colosseo (big brown ellyptical form)
via dei fori imperiali is the long road that depart from it toward left (you can see a wide area of roman ruins under it from google map perspective
crowd is filling all this road during those concerts
the stage usually is a trasparent like structure (steel and plexiglass) so that you see the colosseo behind the stage and that is pretty a view.
if they make it next year i'll be front line!

Posted by: Treesnake2000 ()
Date: September 4, 2005 01:07

Thanks, Maurizio. Sono piu di quattro anni dall' ultima volta che ho passato tempo a Roma. Il concerto sarebbe una bellissima occasione per ritornare!

Date: September 5, 2005 18:30

I just read a rewiew of Elton johns Concert in Rome near the Colloseum. 300000 people there and a marvellous show. I hope Rolling Stones will play there in the summer of 06

Posted by: Adriano ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:03

I have been dreaming of this since macca did his gig in 2003. Simon and Garfunkel did a great show indeed and yesterday Sir Elton John tried his best.
Believe me, a Stones concert at Fori Imperiali would be the greatest event seen in years!!! It's probably the best setting you could ask for, for such a thing! A million people could easily fit around there. I truly hope they'll make it. A dream would come true.

Date: September 5, 2005 20:48

yeah--hope the stones do it. Thousands of germans--belgium---NL-France-Spain and portugal will be there

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:53

If its true, ill be there for shure.

Date: September 5, 2005 23:40

Well' if they're doing it, they'll finally prove wrong most italians, who really don't like the Stones. Italy is not properly a Stones country, but this gig could be history in the making!

"got to be worked on

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 6, 2005 00:17

I'll be there - fron t row and dancing !!!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 6, 2005 01:07

Wonder what the pope thinks? Maybe he doesn't know.....yet.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 14:50

If it happens i propose it should be the iorr european meet up & anybody else of course.

Good idea or what?

Date: September 6, 2005 16:43

VERY good idea; especially for people like me, who live only 2 hours away from Rome!

"got to be worked on

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2005 17:02

odean73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it happens i propose it should be the iorr
> european meet up & anybody else of course.
>
> Good idea or what?

I would imagine that hotel rooms, even in a city the size of Rome, might be at a premium that weekend

Great city, although I find the idea of having a show where the audience is snaked up Foro Imperiali a bit strange. Its NOT a wide street, although the location is beautiful. I cant imagine too many people would have much of a view, to be honest.

Still..I can get a cheap easyjet flight and I have a favourite little hotel that I like thats reasonably priced and just off Piazza Navona, so that plus the fact the concert is free sounds like a good idea.....

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 17:12

If its the same one that was used for the live8 concert it did look a bit strange but hopefully get some cheap flights plus a free concert and if we get the ok thats its definatly on start looking for some accomadation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home