Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Odd Distance With Eagels, Petty, Segar, Mellencamp Etc.
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: December 14, 2016 07:23

Question for those Stones fans outside the United States.

I can't understand the Stones relationship distance with the Eagles, Tom Petty,
Bob Segar, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen (but not of late), Jackson Brown etc....Hugely Iconic American artists.

The Stones have always been obsessed with American Rock Music...and
Mick and Keith and Ronnie reach out to become friends with everybody...
but strangely...they have not become close friends or even tried to be with this crop of American Roots rockers.

Is it competition or jealousy?

Never understood it.

They made avenues to become friends with the Mama's and Papa's of all people.
Even derailed the Stones 1974 work to work on John Papa's solo album Pay Pack and Follow. for Peanuts. Never understood that.

And I believe Mick has a great insecurity with Rod Stewart.
And I love that Keith played with the Faces...that was so cool.

Shed some light international Stones fans (though I'm probably considered international on this sight) as a New Yoorkah.

Pecman

Re: Stones Odd Distance With Eagels, Petty, Segar, Mellencamp Etc.
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 14, 2016 08:10

Personally, and it may not be correct, but all those guys are like the next decade AFTER the Stones. The Stones seem to be semi-friendly with people from their time. The Who, The Beatles. All those other guys started at the earliest in 1970, most not getting big till like 1975. By that point, even by 1970, the Stones were "the Stones". Makes sense that in that sense the Stones have always seen them as "younger" as oppose to seeing them as peers that cut their teeth with them like Townshend, etc. But hey, just a guess.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2016 08:40

I thought Mick was good pals with Springstein?

Date: December 14, 2016 10:15

Pecman

Bob Segar, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen (but not of late), Jackson Brown etc....Hugely Iconic American artists.

but strangely...they have not become close friends or even tried to be with this crop of American Roots rockers.

Never understood it.

Even derailed the Stones 1974 work to work on John Papa's solo album Pay Pack and Follow. for Peanuts. Never understood that.

Shed some light international Stones fans (though I'm probably considered international on this sight) as a New Yoorkah.

Pecman

I'm not sure if any of this is correct. If it is, however, I guess it comes down to the music. None of these acts are really up in the Stones's alley.

When reading other bands/artists' biographies, it's peculiar how good friends they claim to be with bigger stars, though. By reading Steven Tyler (he bought a gun for Keith's 38th birthday) and Paul Stanley's (Keith advised him to tighten up the security on the KISS exhibition) books, one gets the impression that they were really close with Keith. I have never read anything that supports this in other books.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 10:28

John Phillips was a very influential guy in the music world. He was also a drug buddy.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 14, 2016 10:59

I guess you can't be pals with everybody but I have never heard them say anything
Bad about those performers. Actually maybe Bruce Springsteen's music - at least back in 1978. I seem to recall Mick saying in Rolling Stone he was not to fond
of Bruce's music and popularity. Mick must have gotten over it though - that was
38 years ago. Wow time flies.

Date: December 14, 2016 11:10

swimtothemoon
I guess you can't be pals with everybody but I have never heard them say anything
Bad about those performers. Actually maybe Bruce Springsteen's music - at least back in 1978. I seem to recall Mick saying in Rolling Stone he was not to fond
of Bruce's music and popularity. Mick must have gotten over it though - that was

Keith did slag Bruce a bit round 1985/86 (while Patti was singing on DW, btw), saying «he's a nice guy, but he's not just getting it (the roll)», or something similar smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 14, 2016 11:47

DandelionPowderman
(while Patti was singing on DW, btw)

... say what?? eye popping smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 14, 2016 11:47

Pecman

Never understood it.

Pecman

The artists mentioned are not by any stretch of the imagination the kind of American rock and roll that the Stones were obsessed with.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: December 14, 2016 12:13

with sssoul

She is credited. She sang on Talk Is Cheap as well, if memory serves.

Not a nice way to thank her boyfriend, was it winking smiley

Backing vocals on DW:

Jimmy Cliff, Don Covay, Beverly D'Angelo, Kirsty MacColl, Dolette McDonald, Janice Pendarvis, Patti Scialfa and Tom Waits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 12:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:25

This is a really good question. IMO it is one that can not be answered by us. There's too many nuances to it.
Springsteen and Seger are most likely musical reasons. Petty and Mellencamp on the other hand are very good. Maybe they're too close to the Stones.

Patti S. is credited on DW. What is surprising (at least to me) is that she is actually very good.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:33

Palace Revolution 2000
This is a really good question. IMO it is one that can not be answered by us. There's too many nuances to it.
Springsteen and Seger are most likely musical reasons. Petty and Mellencamp on the other hand are very good. Maybe they're too close to the Stones.

Patti S. is credited on DW. What is surprising (at least to me) is that she is actually very good.

Keith probably thought so, too.

Additional musicians on Talk Is Cheap:

Bootsy Collins – bass guitar on "Big Enough"
Michael Doucet – violin on "Locked Away"
Stanley "Buckwheat" Dural – accordion on "You Don't Move Me", "Rockawhile" and "Locked Away"
Johnnie Johnson – piano on "I Could Have Stood You Up"
Chuck Leavell – organ on "I Could Have Stood You Up"
Maceo Parker – alto saxophone on "Big Enough"
Joey Spampinato – bass guitar on "I Could Have Stood You Up" and "Rockawhile"
Mick Taylor – guitar on "I Could Have Stood You Up"
Bernie Worrell – organ on "Big Enough" and "You Don't Move Me", clavinet on "Make No Mistake" and "Rockawhile"
Jimmi Kinnard – bass guitar on "Make No Mistake"
Patti Scialfa – backing vocals
The Memphis Horns – horns
Willie Mitchell – horn arrangements

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 12:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 15:26

DandelionPowderman

She is credited. She sang on Talk Is Cheap as well, if memory serves.

Not a nice way to thank her boyfriend, was it winking smiley

Backing vocals on DW:

Jimmy Cliff, Don Covay, Beverly D'Angelo, Kirsty MacColl, Dolette McDonald, Janice Pendarvis, Patti Scialfa and Tom Waits
Holy shit, I never knew that.

And Beverly D'Angelo?? That's the Mom from the Chevy Chase Vacation movies (and Al Pacino's ex)? It can't be the same woman, can it?

Date: December 14, 2016 15:28

DandelionPowderman

Keith did slag Bruce a bit round 1985/86 (while Patti was singing on DW, btw), saying «he's a nice guy, but he's not just getting it (the roll)», or something similar smiling smiley
Keith slags almost everyone, so that's no surprise.

To me, having him come onstage to singing Tumbling Dice a few years ago is an acknowledgement that they see him as a contemporary and friend. I know the Stones have had plenty of questionable guest stars the last few years, but Springsteen is different from those flavor of the moment acts.

Date: December 14, 2016 15:31

keefriff99

To me, having him come onstage to singing Tumbling Dice a few years ago is an acknowledgement that they see him as a contemporary and friend. I know the Stones have had plenty of questionable guest stars the last few years, but Springsteen is different from those flavor of the moment acts.

I agree, but then again - can we say the same about Taylor Swift? winking smiley

Date: December 14, 2016 15:32

Palace Revolution 2000

She's a very good singer, though on Springsteen's Live in NYC album, she does a little solo spot during band intros on 10th Avenue Freezeout which is absolutely atrocious. She sings a piece of one of her solo songs and it's this weird warbly, yodeling mess. It's absolutely puzzling why it was left on the album...well not really, considering they're married, but still...

[www.youtube.com]

Skip to about 10:40 to hear it.

Date: December 14, 2016 15:33

DandelionPowderman

I agree, but then again - can we say the same about Taylor Swift? winking smiley
LOL, well that's my point. The Stones (or Mick, I should probably say) have de-valued having guests onstage the last few years.

But Bruce is so obviously in a different class from the Katy Perrys, Blake Sheltons and Taylor Swifts of the world that they clearly feel some affection and kinship towards him at this point in their careers.

Date: December 14, 2016 15:36

keefriff99

LOL, well that's my point. The Stones (or Mick, I should probably say) have de-valued having guests onstage the last few years.

But Bruce is so obviously in a different class from the Katy Perrys, Blake Sheltons and Taylor Swifts of the world that they clearly feel some affection and kinship towards him at this point in their careers.

Yeah, and the «slagging» from Keith also included some affectionate words about The Boss smiling smiley

Date: December 14, 2016 15:37

Yes indeed. As far as Keith slags go, it was very mild and he also had some nice stuff to say about him.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 14, 2016 15:43

Keith, bless him, is just a compulsive "gobshite" ...and its probably a bit too late for him to change now.

When Mick speaks there are filtering processes between his thoughts and his mouth.

With Keith...no such processes appear to be in place.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 15:44 by Spud.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 14, 2016 16:23

Pecman

Never understood it.

Pecman

Why think they should be friends with people just because they are in the music business. The people you mention are not from their country or their generation, the Stones were huge international stars when these artists came up. They do not reach out and become friends with everyone they have friends in the business and friends not in the business.

it is like being surprised that you and i don't know each other because we are both from New York.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 14, 2016 17:29

Pecman

Not everything needs to have a reason.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 17:49

Jealousy!!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Jealous of what? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks for the giggle Pecman.smileys with beer

Date: December 14, 2016 17:59

Keith mentioned Bruce in his 1988 cover story in Rolling Stone by saying he was contrived - working class hero stuff. I think that was 100% correct and oddly enough around this time Bruce attempted to change, he disbanded the E - Street Band and attempted to change his approach......Same article he called George Michael a wimp and told him to shave and go home...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 20:34 by AlmostHearYouSigh.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2016 18:40

AlmostHearYouSigh
Keith mentioned Bruce in his 1988 cover story in Rolling Stone by saying he was contrived - working class hero stuff. I think that was 100% correct and oddly enough around this time Bruce attempted to change, he disbanded the E - Street Band and attempted to change his approach......Same article he called George Michael a whimp and told him to shave and go home...

Springsteen has never been my cup of tea.
As for the George Michael quote, that is funny!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2016 18:56

keefriff99

She's a very good singer, though on Springsteen's Live in NYC album, she does a little solo spot during band intros on 10th Avenue Freezeout which is absolutely atrocious. She sings a piece of one of her solo songs and it's this weird warbly, yodeling mess. It's absolutely puzzling why it was left on the album...well not really, considering they're married, but still...

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, her song is called "Rumble Girl".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 14, 2016 19:18

Rokyfan
Why think they should be friends with people just because they are in the music business....

Agreed, it's a strange question and very absurd to theorize it as jealousy or competition. All musicians are not friends with all other musicians. Most of their relationships come from working together, either on tours, albums, charity shows, or from hanging in the same group or parties.

All actors are not friends with all other actors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 19:19 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 14, 2016 19:28

keefriff99
Backing vocals on DW:

And Beverly D'Angelo?? That's the Mom from the Chevy Chase Vacation movies (and Al Pacino's ex)? It can't be the same woman, can it?

It's the same Beverly...she played Patsy Cline in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and did her own singing for the role.

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 19:44 by Jah Paul.

Date: December 14, 2016 19:59

Elmo Lewis

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, her song is called "Rumble Girl".
Just listened to it...I actually like the song. She doesn't do that over-exaggerated yodeling on the album version.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 19:59 by keefriff99.

Date: December 14, 2016 20:00

Jah Paul

Backing vocals on DW:

It's the same Beverly...she played Patsy Cline in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and did her own singing for the role.

[youtu.be]
Huh. Wild stuff...learn something new every day.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home