Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is this the 2nd Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World ?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 11, 2016 03:20

It was for me today. There's something so perfect about this. It's truly live undubbed it's just a moment in everybody's storied career here. but even tho this is the last great crest and bark from Faces they are really hitting such a deep groove. Keith is just nasty. I mean he's sweet as sugar look at him, but he's just playing nasty. Put on the spot and grinds it nasty, it's so good. He's just like digging coal or something, he's way deep in the earth core. Ron always seems to me much more accessible in stage presence with Rod. It's like he's not locked into a part. He IS the foundational element as much as Kenny & Mac, and Tetsu's really rocking it...he's focused as all get out....there's a natural warmth and joy to him here, I mean he's plenty buoyant in the Stones and all that, and pretty focused...but here Ron I think, a really really major guitar force in the world even moreso in some ways...his wonderful leads on all the greatest early Rod solo stuff, when he was writing great and choosing the best covers, and killing with them...Mac is killing here. He's just as focused as a missile and I can't believe his rolls and rhythm. The boys got it waay deep.
from my own personal experience...even having seen and truly loved the very best of all out faves when they were in prime top form and hungry to be the best they could be....but that Faces theatre show, right around the time 'longplayer' was out...just killed me....they had the funk, they had the roll, they had all the tipsy best bar band in the world camaraderie...Rod is super gracious to Keith, but clearly in his element...Rod has the band on low flame so Keith can erupt. At first it seems he's just clinging onto bending a power chord into the ground with steady drill rhythmic bends he's the master of...and maybe he'll launch into a proper solo, but what he's doing is bending a power chord into the ground with steady drill rhthmic bends he's the master of or something...and it just kills me...it's too good.
I mean I can't think of any other two bands who can do just this...really ace that Berry thing in bring it into the present and future and down home at the same time. Maybe The Black Crowes right at first for an album or two. What it must've been like to be there...rod could sing his ass off let's face it and embrace it, no matter how much ...well u know... He really had a unique instrument. There's another clip I saw of Ron guesting with Rod later on, they were dong Maggie Mae into a bit of Gasoline Alley,,,and you know...i remembered what a huge Ron fan I was BEFORE The Stones. I bet Ron has some songs they could help the others could really help him with and knock into great Stones shape. I mean give Ronnie a song next time out; I know he has some good ones. And Mick can sing great....anyway....

well anyway it was just a moment,. I had seen it before...but the elemental foundational mastery of this bawdy seemingly casual affair; it just knocks me out.
Kenny went on a Who tour, Mac went on to play w Keith again in some incredible Stones shows...and his Mac's Bump Band. I don't know if Kenny still plays, I hear he owns half the planet somehow...Ronnie Lane's gone to the sweetest spot in Heaven... I guess I mean this band, even if only for this night. Keith & Faces.

[www.youtube.com]

[nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 04:05 by hopkins.

Re: Is this the 2nd Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 11, 2016 10:34

X-Pensive Winos

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 11, 2016 12:12

I read the whole thing, and you know what?
I must agree, I saw the Faces in the seventies, and while they were a bar band, they played in a stadium, and they rocked then night away! Ron was great... I wonder why that flame got extinguished ....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2016 13:28

midimannz
I wonder why that flame got extinguished ....

The pubs closed and the band's dealer got jailed?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 11, 2016 14:42

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers is...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 11, 2016 15:15

Long, long time ago it was the original Jeff Beck Group.
Wished they hadn't split so soon.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 11, 2016 15:24

I did see both The Faces and The Who in the mid-70's. Nobody back then would think The Faces were anywhere as good a rock and roll band as The Who...

Date: December 11, 2016 23:56

i was pretty much talking about this performance w Keith sitting in but i realize this is a one-off, and also that Faces was pretty much long done as a studio band after the earliest 70's. I had started listening to them in high school when Itchycoo Park was kind of an underground single on that pink Immediate label, and followed them afterwards thru the Rod and Ron years...i guess for most people now they seem like a footnote or flash in the pan. And Rod's been a little less than easy to take for a long time...and the gold suit looked tacky then and 'do u think i'm sexy' would sooncome along and sink what was left of Rod's impact...ka ching I guess. But there is something so deep down rolling raw about this obviously. M&K got two members of this outfit, banged into the 80's with Mac, and I finally listened to B&L last night, and ended up listening like most of the night and impressed with Ron, and feeling like there are at least two or three tracks there that are so precious they belong right at the top of their most fun things...
...and truth is when I think of my very top most listened to UK Invasion era groups, it's always Stones, Kinks & Who things above all for me. And yep The Beatles too, but as time goes by their earlier, more rocking and less studio experimentation stuff, as fun as that was, is what I like. The basic things. Lennon himself said he thought the band peaked in the very early going. Having enjoyed this clip, it makes me more interested in everything about Ron.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2016 12:47

hopkins
Keith is just nasty. I mean he's sweet as sugar look at him, but he's just playing nasty.

Not to mention: Look at how he's dressed! Quiet good taste, I call it :E

I didn't see Faces in concert until their 2010 shows, and the incredibly raunchy sound
was something you never hear in recordings - you just have to be in the room. Rock & roll

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 12, 2016 13:44

Yep the Faces had a lot of what the Stones had. Great show, great singer, rhythm section that meant it, cool songs, playing that raised a glass and shook your ass

smiling smiley
2nd greatest ? Yeah I tend to agree when they had Ronnie Lane, it was. They were sometimes equal. Such a great band.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 12, 2016 18:26

I saw the Faces in 75, with Testu on Bass and Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd guitar. They looked and sounded loose and relaxed, and I have great memories of that night. I wouldn't say they were the 2nd greatest rock & roll band; I don't think they had enough ambition for that. But I'm not sure I would enjoy anything more than going back to 75 and hearing them play those old Chuck Berry and Sam Cooke tunes again.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:41

palerider22
I did see both The Faces and The Who in the mid-70's. Nobody back then would think The Faces were anywhere as good a rock and roll band as The Who...

Me and my friends did. grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2016 20:50

Ronnie's intro on "I Know I'm Losing You'

is the epitome of rock and roll intros..

funky and nasty as anything Keith has played.. he belongs in the Stones. but the Faces were great.

Date: December 12, 2016 20:53

Aquamarine

grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2016 20:56

drbryant
I saw the Faces in 75, with Testu on Bass and Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd guitar. They looked and sounded loose and relaxed, and I have great memories of that night. I wouldn't say they were the 2nd greatest rock & roll band; I don't think they had enough ambition for that. But I'm not sure I would enjoy anything more than going back to 75 and hearing them play those old Chuck Berry and Sam Cooke tunes again.

Ronnie finished that tour then started one with the Stones, that year!

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:57

Ronnie's intro on "I Know I'm Losing You'

is the epitome of rock and roll intros..

...or is it Stones 'The Last Time' or 'Under my Thumb' that is?

Sex Pistols 'EMI' is also a good one...

Faces and Thin Lizzy is my favorite 'Pub-rockers'...very good stuff..!

2 1 2 0

Date: December 12, 2016 21:01

theres lots of great ones..

Satisfaction might deserve inclusion... surely the ones you mentioned too..

grinning smiley

guess thats another thread though..

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 12, 2016 21:05

duke richardson

thumbs up

Actually, in '75 he played a tour with Faces in the spring, then toured with the Stones (as "guest guitarist") in the summer, and then did the final Faces tour (with Jesse Ed on 2nd guitar) in the late summer/fall.

Creem readers voted him "Most Valuable Player" that year. He certainly was.

Date: December 12, 2016 21:14

loog droog

thumbs up

Actually, in '75 he played a tour with Faces in the spring, then toured with the Stones (as "guest guitarist") in the summer, and then did the final Faces tour (with Jesse Ed on 2nd guitar) in the late summer/fall.

thanks for the clarification, loog droog.

I saw the earlier Faces show, then later in July, the Stones show.. missed the ones with Jesse Ed Davis..

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 12, 2016 22:16

duke richardson

thumbs up

thanks for the clarification, loog droog.

I saw the earlier Faces show, then later in July, the Stones show.. missed the ones with Jesse Ed Davis..

OK, I saw them at the Nassau Colisem, Uniondale, New York on October 12. I remember Ronnie was wearing shorts on stage and they played the sound of a dog barking and he said something like, "My dog ripped my pants off" and then they broke into a song...

setlist: [www.setlist.fm]

Date: December 12, 2016 23:08

duke richardson

thumbs up

and i saw them w Ron in his first handful of shows with The Stones in NYC, the early going on that Lotus tour '75. It was about Ron's 13th show a Stone. NY was their 10th city, they had just done Tornoto. There were 7 shows at MSG, seven nights in a row! They had just done nine cities, NY was the tenth. I went to Ron's 13th show as a Stone I guess. I don't know what other nights Eric might have jammed with them. Eric Clapton played the encore that night as well. I hadn't seen Ron since 1971 Faces; I did see The Stones in '72. I know it's easy to say this, but I'm really sure it was the first New York show...there had been no press reviews at all from NY. This was it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 23:23 by hopkins.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:37

palerider22

Yep. The 1975-76 Who shows were a master class in arena rock, a tight 100 minutes that covered their first decade, minus Quadrophenia. You got singles, album tracks, jams, Tommy, and freaking lasers.

The Faces were running on fumes by 1975. They hadn't made an album in two years, and their most reliable songwriter, Ronnie Lane, was gone, Rod Stewart had moved to America, and Ronnie Wood was on his way to the Stones. I saw them on a triple bill with Ten Years After and Skynyrd in Jersey City. They were disappointing, going through the motions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 12:32 by ab.

Date: December 13, 2016 13:11

DandelionPowderman

grinning smiley
Absolutely the same here. Faces were second only to the Stones with all my friends. The Who were fantastic, but for me a bit too bombastic. I like the Who best early on when they did "Legal Matter" and "Anywhere Anyhow"; later on I take "Quadrophenia" by miles over "Tommy". (Even though 'Quadrophenia' seems to be the same song over and over for 4 sides LOL)

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 13, 2016 13:21

Just my opinion of course but no, obviously it's The Who.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 13:57

I always loved that bit of film...... Rock N Roll at it's best. Awesome tone from both Ron and Keith. Rod Stewart before he switched to the dark side. Jones and Mclagan cooking up a storm. Looks like Ronnie Lane had left by then. I wonder what ever happened to Tetsu?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:44

drbryant
I don't think they had enough ambition for that.

That sounds right - something like whenever they found themselves striving,
one of them would make fun of the effort and they'd roll around laughing instead.
They sure sounded great, though!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:31

Date: December 14, 2016 04:01

with sssoul

Keith is just nasty. I mean he's sweet as sugar look at him, but he's just playing nasty.

Not to mention: Look at how he's dressed! Quiet good taste, I call it :E

I didn't see Faces in concert until their 2010 shows, and the incredibly raunchy sound
was...

haha thank you. this gives me a great laugh...here he is starting that lead, after Ron does quite a wonderful blazing one. i mean it's shootout at the OK corral in a nice way...Is Ron almost auditioning here and knows he's got it nailed, he's so rocking...Rod used to beg him not to join The Stones publically. haha

This is what cracks me up and is so thrilling, the Keith doesn't so much play a lead as grind the thing into another dimension; He is so singularly focused on it, he's holding and bending that one droning little chord and won't leave it, like riding a bucking bronco.. ok i'm already ashamed for making such a big thing out of a little moment, but it's snagged me more than once and brought me to the point of abandon that rock and roll always represented to me down deep.
i guess it's an amorphous thing, those little moments that bring you to joy.
Mac plays one of the best solos of his life, so does Ron...then u know...it's just a few bars but...well...3:09
he's not even breathing., go ahead look at him. no matter what ever else happens in life, to him, them or us; just say thank you. that boy dun his job.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 04:40 by hopkins.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:38

I actually think the syncopated yin-yang they do rhythmically earlier on in song is the best. Stuff that can't be planned or rehearsed, or even named. Listen to those 2-3 seconds right after 'dancin and hummin a rockn roll melody" at 0:17 seconds. Those two double stopping guitars barely missing each other, yet forming one glorious together.

At another date Keith lays this down in studio ( planned) in the outro of IORR single.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 14, 2016 13:24

love the Faces, such great music (save when RL sings, sorry, but no), so much talent!

but hopkins & palace said it right, what Keith does in that sweet little r&roller ... the very essence of rock and roll!

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home