Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2017 15:56

So, potus43, you are by definition not someone that is "open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values".

So you're a stick in the mud. A head banging against the wall type.

At least U2 aren't sticks in the mud.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:14

Just attended the two Paris gigs and had fun on the first one and on the second one I was very bored. It was without a doubt the worst concerts of U2 I've ever attended. I am a huge Joshua Tree fan but they didnt do any justice to it...My favorite song being Red Hill Mining Town, I felt it was butchered and the Bullet the Blue Sky version on the past tour was in a very different league, way better.

At the end I was very disappointed.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:35

leteyer
Just attended the two Paris gigs and had fun on the first one and on the second one I was very bored. It was without a doubt the worst concerts of U2 I've ever attended. I am a huge Joshua Tree fan but they didnt do any justice to it...My favorite song being Red Hill Mining Town, I felt it was butchered and the Bullet the Blue Sky version on the past tour was in a very different league, way better.

Why go twice? Anyone that knows U2 knows they don't change their shows hardly at all. Of course the second one was boring, you just saw it. You didn't like the Joshua Tree either show or its flaws were more noticeable night 2 after the "fun" had worn off? Cause I thought it sounded pretty good when I saw them. Exit is by far the highlight of the record live and I always wondered why they hadn't played that in 30 years.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:49

Im going to the 1st show in Amsterdam tomorrow (29-7)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 01:49 by spunky.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 29, 2017 21:45

RollingFreak
leteyer

Why go twice? Anyone that knows U2 knows they don't change their shows hardly at all. Of course the second one was boring, you just saw it. You didn't like the Joshua Tree either show or its flaws were more noticeable night 2 after the "fun" had worn off? Cause I thought it sounded pretty good when I saw them. Exit is by far the highlight of the record live and I always wondered why they hadn't played that in 30 years.

I have always see them several times on a tour, so I do know how much they change from one concenrt to the next, and as I said, I love Joshua Tree....This time, yes this time and only this time I was bored and disappointed....And I agree with you Exit made the night (twice)

Date: August 11, 2017 20:29

Just scored side seats 2nd row for Kansas City Arrowhead. They released more seats this morning.

Weird to me that they are $175 less than when this section originally went on sale

OH well GOOD FOR ME!

I had general admission for Dallas. Had a great spot to stand but was a lot of work and an all day event to get that spot.

Going to relax and just enjoy the show this time.

Beck is the warm up act

OT : U2 Cancel St. Louis Concert Over Safety Concerns Due to Protests
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 16, 2017 19:10

U2 Cancel St. Louis Concert Over Safety Concerns Due to Protests

"We cannot in good conscience risk our fans' safety by proceeding with tonight’s concert. As much as we regret having to cancel, we feel it is the only acceptable course of action in the current environment," the band and Live Nation said in a statement.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-16 19:12 by schillid.

Re: OT : U2 Cancel St. Louis Concert Over Safety Concerns Due to Protests
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 17, 2017 04:09

unfortunate they had to do it but it was the right thing given the circumstances.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 17, 2017 04:20

I dunno...seems it might have been a good opportunity for Bono and band to help ease the situation by bringing people together. From what I saw, the protests were a non-issue for the most part, but maybe they were expecting another violent Ferguson situation...maybe it was the right call to be safe than sorry.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 17, 2017 04:26

Read that Law Enforcement informed the promoters that they couldn't guarantee the security/manpower given the protests.. making the decision more of a liability than moral issue then.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 05:54

Reading on the Rolling Stone website that Ed Sheeran has cancelled his St. Louis show Sunday night, too.

Date: September 17, 2017 05:56

For that we should be grateful.

(just kidding)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 1, 2017 22:11

New album and tour dates announced for 2018:

May 2 - Tulsa, OK @ BOK Center
May 4 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
May 7 - San Jose, CA @ SAP Center
May 11 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
May 15 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
May 22 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
May 26 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
May 28 - Atlanta, GA @ Infinite Energy Arena
June 5 - Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
June 9 - Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
June 13 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
June 17 - Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
June 21 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden
June 25 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
June 29 - Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: November 2, 2017 00:37

Poor U2 - they can't get that coolness wheel to turn their way again. 80's and 90's have already come and gone with their nostalgia resurgences.
Janes' A. Guns & Roses Chili Peppers have all been and gone a few times. I think the problem with U2 is they never went away. They needed to "break up" for a while, stoke the fires and return in a blaze. A Bono Blaze.

Date: November 2, 2017 02:37

I had a ticket to the L.A. Forum show a couple of years ago, but forfeited it as I really had no interest
Might give it another try this time around...but probably not...maybe best to retain my memory of seeing them back in '83 when they were still relevant.

Date: November 2, 2017 03:06

Hairball
I had a ticket to the L.A. Forum show a couple of years ago, but forfeited it as I really had no interest
Might give it another try this time around...but probably not...maybe best to retain my memory of seeing them back in '83 when they were still relevant.
I didn't really enjoy the 2015 arena show that I saw...I was behind the stage first of all, and the set list was piss-poor, but the Joshua Tree stadium show this past summer was really great.

Date: November 2, 2017 16:06

Tulsa here I come!

I saw the last tour twice and they played the whole Joshua Tree album.

It was just ok.

I really think they are better in an arena.

With them not playing one full album maybe they now can play more songs that I want to hear.

At least I hope so.

I just wonder how high the ticket prices will be.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 2, 2017 16:34

jumpontopofmebaby
Tulsa here I come!

It was just ok.

With them not playing one full album maybe they now can play more songs that I want to hear.

At least I hope so.

Depends what songs you wanna hear. If you wanted to hear hits that Joshua Tree tour is as close as they'll ever come to doing a greatest hits tour in this day and age. This new one coinciding with a new album will probably be pretty similar to the last Songs Of Innocence one. Also in terms of ticket prices, their lower level seating is usually very high but in fairness they do offset it with maybe the most reasonable GA prices of any band touring at their level. Its usually like $100 or less.

I feel with U2 you either like em or you don't. I don't think "not going away" has been their problem. I think its more that they've changed an awful lot and they also make a big deal with a new album. They do TONS of promo and make a spectacle of themselves. Its got its pros and cons, but it is nice to see a band so gung ho about new material. That and the obvious preaching Bono does turns people off, but thats just the nature of the band. Kind of always has been. Clearly they still have massive acceptance cause they still feel stadiums. I think those that don't like them are just extremely vocal, cause you'd think by what you hear that no one likes them. I agree they are way better in arenas than stadiums. And I didn't like their last album but the HBO special they put out of the show made me a big fan. They totally won me over with their commitment and show. I can't think of many other bands that can do that to an album I was totally unfazed by.

Date: November 2, 2017 17:25

RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby
Tulsa here I come!

It was just ok.

At least I hope so.

Depends what songs you wanna hear. If you wanted to hear hits that Joshua Tree tour is as close as they'll ever come to doing a greatest hits tour in this day and age. This new one coinciding with a new album will probably be pretty similar to the last Songs Of Innocence one. Also in terms of ticket prices, their lower level seating is usually very high but in fairness they do offset it with maybe the most reasonable GA prices of any band touring at their level. Its usually like $100 or less.

I feel with U2 you either like em or you don't. I don't think "not going away" has been their problem. I think its more that they've changed an awful lot and they also make a big deal with a new album. They do TONS of promo and make a spectacle of themselves. Its got its pros and cons, but it is nice to see a band so gung ho about new material. That and the obvious preaching Bono does turns people off, but thats just the nature of the band. Kind of always has been. Clearly they still have massive acceptance cause they still feel stadiums. I think those that don't like them are just extremely vocal, cause you'd think by what you hear that no one likes them. I agree they are way better in arenas than stadiums. And I didn't like their last album but the HBO special they put out of the show made me a big fan. They totally won me over with their commitment and show. I can't think of many other bands that can do that to an album I was totally unfazed by.

There were just several songs I like they did not play.

End of the World / Electric Co to name a couple

I did not see the HBO Special I need to check it out.

Tulsa is only a few miles from home. But considering Nashville on a Saturday.

Love that town.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 3, 2017 01:10

i used to be into u2 many years ago, but havent really bothered with them for years, except the odd visit to youtube to watch pre 1984 stuff.

i used to dig the joshua tree but havent heard it in about 2 decades. i dont really know why, its not a bad album.

Date: November 3, 2017 02:10

Palace Revolution 2000
Poor U2 - they can't get that coolness wheel to turn their way again. 80's and 90's have already come and gone with their nostalgia resurgences.
Janes' A. Guns & Roses Chili Peppers have all been and gone a few times. I think the problem with U2 is they never went away. They needed to "break up" for a while, stoke the fires and return in a blaze. A Bono Blaze.

So is that why... they blew the Stones' A BIGGER BANG record for attendance and money out of the water with their 360 tour and their last 2 tours have been beyond successful?

Saw THE JOSHUA TREE tour in New Orleans - absolutely incredible.

Date: November 3, 2017 03:25

buttons67
i used to be into u2 many years ago, but havent really bothered with them for years, except the odd visit to youtube to watch pre 1984 stuff.

i used to dig the joshua tree but havent heard it in about 2 decades. i dont really know why, its not a bad album.

Same here - I occasionally still listen to the vinyl single In God's Country vinyl which I bought back in the day - it alone is all I really need to hear from the Joshua Tree (which I also have the original vinyl).
Maybe some day I'll give it a spin in it's entirety and try and figure out what all the fuss was about.

*While looking at the track listing on wiki just now, it's dawned on me that Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For,
and With or Without You are virtually all the same tune but with different lyrics and titles. winking smiley

Date: November 3, 2017 03:36

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

So is that why... they blew the Stones' A BIGGER BANG record for attendance and money out of the water with their 360 tour and their last 2 tours have been beyond successful?

Hey GLS, where ya been?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 3, 2017 03:49

The wrote great songs from about '85 to about '95, and have since completely ceased doing so

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 3, 2017 05:22

Achtung Baby!...great album, then they lost me...although that Vertigo song was catchy...catchy enough for me to buy that CD...too bad that was the only song I liked...the rest was just not good...and that album they pushed on everyone! Oh man was that one bad.

Saw them when the toured in support of October in the early 80s and again in Chicago ‘92 and excellent show...saw them one more time in 2001 and was bored stiff...Bono was doing his sainthood B.S. and the whole show suffered for it...not interested in seeing them again.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 05:29 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 3, 2017 10:43

I've always considered the best song they ever wrote was for someone else -
the great Roy Orbison's swan-song " Mystery Girl"

...but hey, maybe it's just me

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 3, 2017 18:06

saw U2 many times in the 80s and 90s and 2000.Saw them perform in 1980 in Arnhem for maybe 200 people. It was great. although a girlfriend got a kiss from larry. That was the last i saw of her. Have lost interest from U2 now. although they are still a great band.
jeroen

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 3, 2017 19:37

i think u2,s best days were 1980-84, they made some great songs and were incredible live, unfortunately it was 1987 before i saw them.

i like some of the later stuff like

vertigo
beautiful day
lady with the spinning head

and 2 or 3 others

but songs like the sweetest thing im just not into.

Date: November 4, 2017 02:02

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

Hey GLS, where ya been?

In state of severe mental recovery, which is far from over, with dealing with the death of my wife in mid September. Only the past few days have I felt any sort of sense of normalcy mentally, which includes getting back to work.

For whatever reason I decided to start checking back in on here and... well, I dunno. I really don't know.

Date: November 4, 2017 03:56

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

Hey GLS, where ya been?

In state of severe mental recovery, which is far from over, with dealing with the death of my wife in mid September. Only the past few days have I felt any sort of sense of normalcy mentally, which includes getting back to work.

For whatever reason I decided to start checking back in on here and... well, I dunno. I really don't know.

I wasn't really talking about success. It's just that it isn't very hip to like U2 these days. A silly thing, I realize; that big wheel.
But GasLightStreet, (sorry I don't know your real name), those are trivial matters. I am really sorry to hear about what you are going through. I know myself that is a hard road. I'll be thinking about you. As Jagger says "I know you're tough".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home