Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Live By The Sword - Track Talk
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 19, 2023 20:53

Live By The Sword

Released Friday October 20, 2023 with the Hackney Diamonds album.

The Rolling Stones with

Elton John : Piano
Charlie Watts : Drums
Bill Wyman : Bass

Bjornulf

Re: Live By The Sword - Track Talk
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 19, 2023 21:14

At last a song that sounds like the good old Stones - they should have recorded the whole album with Bill !

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 19, 2023 21:31

kowalski
At last a song that sounds like the good old Stones - they should have recorded the whole album with Bill !

You must have some ears of wonder.
Bill is quite low in the mix…

Date: October 19, 2023 21:36

Blueranger
kowalski

Try the HD version. You can clearly hear Bill's bass bouncing the track off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-19 21:37 by kowalski.

Date: October 19, 2023 21:38

Sweet Neocon 2

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 19, 2023 21:39

kowalski
Blueranger
kowalski

Try the HD version. You can clearly hear Bill's bass bouncing the track off.

It’s totally laughable to dismiss tye rest of the album because Bill is not on it. But I guess one is in need of attention. Bill was not even present on many songs on their classic albums.

Date: October 19, 2023 21:45

Come on, I don't mean to dismiss the rest of the album... It just sounds like an old Stones track and maybe that's why they had Bill play on it.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 02:25

Wow this one has a great groove, definitely gives me 70s vibe, at some points Mick's voice even sounds like back in the 70s!! Great tune!!

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 04:15

60's 70's 80's 90's 2000's 2010's 2020's vibe. Fantastic song. Will go far

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: October 20, 2023 05:36

Where is the HD version?
I'm using a VPN set to New Zealand, listening on YouTube...
C'mon...give us a glimmer...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 06:18

dennycranium
Where is the HD version?
I'm using a VPN set to New Zealand, listening on YouTube...
C'mon...give us a glimmer...

Deluxe Box on Blu Ray, it should arrive today. Comes with a High Definition stereo version and a Surround Mix. Maybe it's available on Tidal too?

Also available Here: [www.qobuz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 06:20 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: ThumpinJackFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2023 07:38

Loving this. It just SOUNDS RIGHT!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:12

Great. And I just love that little break/bridge...the second chord...cutest thing since that one on Rocks Off.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:20

The bridge reminds of a tune from the early 80s, I would have thought that it's something from Emotional Rescue, but I'm probably thinking of something from Undercover where the back beat is cut in half for the bridge.
Anyway, I think the tune is a great tribute to their non-Open-G rockers!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:20

So great (and moving) to hear Bill and Charlie together - even if they weren't in the same dimension let alone the same room together. This sounds like the Stones.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:36

Fantastic playling from Keith on this one! That's exactly how you want to hear him, having got used to his limitations and just focusing on laying down that chugging groove that makes so much of their late 70's, early 80's sound.

Am I right that Keith plays the rhythm guitars to the sides and Ronnie plays the riff (with the solo) down the middle?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:28

Amazon Music has the "Atmos" version where you can hear the bass pretty well too. The "HD Ultra" (24/96) should soon be there too.

MonkeyMan2000
The bridge reminds of a tune from the early 80s, I would have thought that it's something from Emotional Rescue, but I'm probably thinking of something from Undercover where the back beat is cut in half for the bridge.
Anyway, I think the tune is a great tribute to their non-Open-G rockers!

I was also trying to place that bridge and I'd say "She Was Hot" with the echoey piano.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 12:33 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 20, 2023 13:23

Delightful stomping Stones classic, it can match their best-known rockers from over a 61-year period. Superb interplay Bill and Charlie and Keith and Mick. Delicious base of drum and bass beat and the screeching guitars.

Posted by: Tilla ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:50

Ladies and gentlemen.. The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Dolf ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:07

Really Nice track!!! Sounds a lot like Jump On Top Of Me!

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:52

Great solo!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:08

The sound of the seventies version of The Stones. Just wonderful. Adore it.

Rod

Posted by: MickDaseway ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:12

As an almost 50-year-old orthodox fan of The Stones, I will write this: this song dates back to the late 1970s... SG would be proud of it... For me, it is the best on this album. Love

Mick

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:10

Oh, God I love this song!

Had me grinning from ear to ear, a few seconds in. Wonderful.

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:06

Wow!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:57

I keep finding myself going back to this tune. It's really good, catchy, groovy, nice guitars and feel. Charlie creates a groove that, to me, is just notably better than Steve's. Steve is a great drummer and perfect fit after Charlie, but side by side it's not even close. Throw in bill (who turns 87 next week!)with his classic, just behind the beat style and you have a clear winning song IMO. I will add to my regular play list.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:59

Markdog
I keep finding myself going back to this tune. It's really good, catchy, groovy, nice guitars and feel. Charlie creates a groove that, to me, is just notably better than Steve's. Steve is a great drummer and perfect fit after Charlie, but side by side it's not even close. Throw in bill (who turns 87 next week!)with his classic, just behind the beat style and you have a clear winning song IMO. I will add to my regular play list.

Bill plays behind the beat now? I always thought it was described as being a millisecond ahead of the beat.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 02:25

This track gave me the biggest smile, along with a bittersweet nostalgia. The groove on this is fantastic and most reminiscent of their classic material. It really picks up after a minute or so, during that first instrumental break, and does not relent after that. How wonderful to have this last track with Bill and Charlie on it.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 21, 2023 04:40

24FPS
Markdog

Bill plays behind the beat now? I always thought it was described as being a millisecond ahead of the beat.

My take after 50 years of listening and playing music is on many songs Bill hits the root on the kick but his octaves, runs and flurishes are slightly draggy and behind the timing but always pulls it back every time. It's subtle but you can feel and hear it. It creates a vibe that is unique and ever so slightly draggy but helped defined the Stone's sound. I wish we could isolate this bass line. So much ad Lib and creative feel throughout. No one plays quite like Bill I've ever heard.

No Darryl, keith, Ron or Andy Watts could have created the feel Bill did on this song.

Just my take on Bill's playing. I've heard many say he is a way ahead of the beat I completely disagree.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 04:46 by Markdog.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:50

Bill W sounds so, so good on this. I had not seen the track notes and I immediately knew this was the BW tune. So good.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home