Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...422423424425426427428429430431432...LastNext
Current Page: 427 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2020 02:45

Maindefender
Wow now the SG deluxe disc is boring and sucks. This particular thread would make a good script for a Netflix series about nothing.....smileys with beer

No. It's just not as good as some people think it is. They had way better to offer and didn't. That's all it is. Some people love it. That's great. But in context, it sucks.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 25, 2020 04:47

GasLightStreet
It's just not as good as some people think it is. They had way better to offer and didn't. That's all it is. Some people love it. That's great. But in context, it sucks.

That also holds of most Netflix (and other) series once they get beyond season 2.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2020 05:41

Rocky Dijon
I don't know...imagine Save Me / Criss Cross Mind, Living in the Heart of Love, Drift Away, a completed I Love Ladies, Scarlet, It's a Lie, a finished Munich Hilton and Gangster's Moll, Misty Roads, Everlasting is My Love For You, and Fiji Jim with maybe a couple alternate versions like the Ride a Wave version of Slave and a speed-corrected Never Stop. It could be excellent.

Can I get that in coloured vinyl please?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 25, 2020 08:02

There were indications that GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU were under consideration for expanded ediitons, but it appears they've abandoned plans for these. STICKY FINGERS was given a very different treatment and appears to have been the end of the line five years later.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 25, 2020 09:14

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Wow now the SG deluxe disc is boring and sucks. This particular thread would make a good script for a Netflix series about nothing.....smileys with beer

No. It's just not as good as some people think it is. They had way better to offer and didn't. That's all it is. Some people love it. That's great. But in context, it sucks.

Amazing the treasure of unreleased material, certainly unmatched...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2020 15:16

DandelionPowderman
stickyfingers101
Have the Stones ever considered doing an all-acoustic album?

anybody? anybody? Bueller?

....and/or did they ever consider doing MTV's "Unplugged?"

were they ever asked?

anybody? anybody? Bueller?

They chose to do Stripped instead.

Acoustic album? Would be cool thumbs up

Interesting thought ...but if you'll excuse me taking a slightly different tack.

I'm not sure about an "acoustic album" ...but wholly or largely acoustic numbers have always provided a wonderful contrast with their hard edged, high energy electric tracks.

These acoustic "breathers" have been very thin on the ground on "modern era" albums, which might have benefitted from that light and shade contrast in feel.

They could do a lot worse than putting a couple of proper acoustic numbers on the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-25 15:17 by Spud.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 25, 2020 15:39

Rocky Dijon
I don't know...imagine Save Me / Criss Cross Mind, Living in the Heart of Love, Drift Away, a completed I Love Ladies, Scarlet, It's a Lie, a finished Munich Hilton and Gangster's Moll, Misty Roads, Everlasting is My Love For You, and Fiji Jim with maybe a couple alternate versions like the Ride a Wave version of Slave and a speed-corrected Never Stop. It could be excellent.

In other words, a collection of songs containing barely a note that was actually worked on or considered for Tattoo You.

Its a potentially interesting collection of songs, but please, no more revisionist nonsense trying to pretend these songs were worked on for albums that they werent even considered for.

Date: January 25, 2020 16:29

Gazza
Rocky Dijon

In other words, a collection of songs containing barely a note that was actually worked on or considered for Tattoo You.

Its a potentially interesting collection of songs, but please, no more revisionist nonsense trying to pretend these songs were worked on for albums that they werent even considered for.

I love the idea of course. Every title you mention, Rocky, is a possibly superb song; would have been great if completed,. I myself would love to hear them in all their glory. And to top it off - they have done such albums in the past with great success.
I just don't trust Jagger to do them justice anymore. I don't even think Jagger himself trusts himself in that respect. He comes off confused: should I try and "be" the young Jagger; or should I come at them from my advanced POV?
Pretty sure Jagger himself now knows he just can not sing about lyrics that ring false or inappropriate.
This is the time for ageless songs. And what is frustrating is that as a young man Jagger was able to write these "ancient", timeless songs. As a wise, mature man it eludes him.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 25, 2020 16:34

It is unpopular but several studies conclude that wisdom does not correlate with age.

Date: January 25, 2020 16:35

Nikkei
It is unpopular but several studies conclude that wisdom does not correlate with age.
thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2020 16:44

Palace Revolution 2000
... And what is frustrating is that as a young man Jagger was able to write these "ancient", timeless songs. As a wise, mature man it eludes him.

Yep ...conflicted .

Re: smoking smileyRe: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 25, 2020 19:10

colonial
colonial

This thread is on the home straight to 1,000,000 views - unprecedented smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: January 25, 2020 19:18

btw where's Francis25 who started this thread back in 2016 he hasn't been heard of since

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: January 25, 2020 19:39

Gazza

I was approaching it as what ANOTHER TATTOO YOU could be like taking outtakes from the same era [GOATS HEAD SOUP through EMOTIONAL RESCUE]. I also don't pretend to think that what circulates on bootlegs or is listed in sessionographies are the sum total of their unreleased studio archives. That said, I don't think there is reason to believe they're considering releasing any more of these expanded reissues.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2020 19:49

colonial
btw where's Francis25 who started this thread back in 2016 he hasn't been heard of since

Maybe in hiding as this thread has resulted in nothing but opening a giant can of worms with no new album whatsoever - look at what he started!!!

Date: January 25, 2020 19:50

Palace Revolution 2000

I love the idea of course. Every title you mention, Rocky, is a possibly superb song; would have been great if completed,. I myself would love to hear them in all their glory. And to top it off - they have done such albums in the past with great success.
I just don't trust Jagger to do them justice anymore. I don't even think Jagger himself trusts himself in that respect. He comes off confused: should I try and "be" the young Jagger; or should I come at them from my advanced POV?
Pretty sure Jagger himself now knows he just can not sing about lyrics that ring false or inappropriate.
This is the time for ageless songs. And what is frustrating is that as a young man Jagger was able to write these "ancient", timeless songs. As a wise, mature man it eludes him.

This is on the money. That said, I treat tracks like "Pass the Wine" and "Plundered My Soul" as new tracks for 2010. The lyrics and vocals certainly represent their work 10 years ago rather than 40 years ago. The same is true of the lead guitar on "Plundered My Soul." I agree it's a shame they didn't have more finished versions of the original outtakes (without chord changes hollered out throughout "Do You Think I Care?" for instance) so we didn't see "No Spare Parts" and "Do You Think I Care?" turn into a catalog of place names. However, that's quibbling because I know what they might have been. As new songs from 2011, they're fine. Not classics by any measure, but fine for the most part. Taken together, 2010-2012 gave us a new CD's worth of material. The trouble is most of it was filler. Some of it ("So Divine" and "Keep Up Blues," for instance) should have been relegated to B-sides at best.

Date: January 25, 2020 20:29

colonial
I think he's a hermit living in a caravan park

Flower Power
PEACE

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2020 23:04

Gazza
Rocky Dijon

We don't know that. It's possible some of those were worked on for TATTOO YOU yet alone previous albums. And why is it revisionist nonsense? They held songs over for the next album and albums later. It's certainly not absurd to think such a thing.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: January 26, 2020 03:15

Can someone please review the 427 pages and provide me with a summary. Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 26, 2020 03:23

The Rolling Stones can't seem to cut the mustard. That's all there is to know

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 26, 2020 05:16

masseywinos
Can someone please review the 427 pages and provide me with a summary. Thank you in advance.

Years since last album: 15
Years supposedly working on new album: 7
Songs reportedly worked on: 40
Songs reportedly finished: 0
Probability they will release a new album sometime this year: 50%
Probability this album will be worth the wait: 25%
Probability the new album will have a few great songs: 30%
Probability the new album will have a few lame songs: 90%

Bonus topic: "Tattoo You" was determined NOT to be a compilation album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-26 12:41 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 26, 2020 10:55

TornAndFried

Songs reportedly worked on: 20+

It should be even 40 songs - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 26, 2020 13:49

Gazza
Rocky Dijon

Yes, exactly......

Date: January 26, 2020 18:00

1,000,000 Views - Unprecedented

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 26, 2020 18:03

990K less than 24 hours ago. Hmmm.

Date: January 26, 2020 18:11

bye bye johnny
yea something funny was going on there I was sitting back watching the views go from 0 - 1,000 in something like 10 minutes... yea

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2020 19:13

colonial

Hooray.

Now we just need the written posts to hit the 100,000 mark!grinning smiley
Currently at 12,806 - a long ways to go still, but at the slow rate the new album's progressing, anything's possible.

Date: January 26, 2020 20:50

colonial

Someone spent his/her Sunday hitting the refresh button ~2000 times? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyway, at least some fundamental questions are answered now:

doitywoik
... what will happen next? Will the forum collapse with the 1000000th (attempt at a) view? Which separator will appear between the 1 and the 000,000? A comma? A dot? Nothing at all?

And once the album is there, will it get more sales/streams than this thread has views? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So, it is clear now that the forum didn't collapse (phewwww) and that the additional separator is another comma - which certainly takes us one step closer to the Grand Unified Theory (minimally).

What's left to be discovered is whether the new album will get more sales than this thread gets views ...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 26, 2020 20:50

colonial
bye bye johnny

yea something funny was going on there I was sitting back watching the views go from 0 - 1,000 in something like 10 minutes... yea

On 25-Jan-2020, 01:50 UTC there were 998,300 views of this thread - so someone obviously started a script which called this thread umpteen times within some minutes. It's quite easy ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-26 21:30 by Irix.

Date: January 26, 2020 21:01

This morning the thread was still ca. 2000 views short of a million, I think. But what the heck smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...422423424425426427428429430431432...LastNext
Current Page: 427 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home