Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 699 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 10, 2023 22:19

Before that everything was Taylor´s fault too...cool smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2023 22:44

Topi
Just read that an estimated 31 million people registered for the chance to buy tickets for Taylor Swift's show in Toronto.

The population of Canada is 40,200,000.

well, that's impressive. But since she is so popular and it's very unlikely to score a ticket most likely nearly everybody (and their dogs) living in North America has registered for each and every Taylor Swift show within their reach –just in hope to score any single tickets anywhere…
and Toronto is just a 90 minutes flights away from New York City…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-10 22:49 by slewan.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 10, 2023 22:48

Yeah, no doubt there's people from "down south" helping that number out.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 11, 2023 00:09

Anyways, the Stones will certainly not release the album on a predictably unfavorable date. Who would?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2023 00:15

NilsHolgersson
It could be like Barbenheimer: the release of Taylor Swift and the Rolling Stones new albums in the same week. Fans should listen to both albums back to back. #rollingswift a new viral theme.

Indeed an interesting turn of events in this never ending saga aka the making of the new Stones album...
It seems that either the Stones have to sit it out while Taylor Swift dominates the world, or they attempt a preemptive strike to soften the blow from the Swift onslaught....

The Stones might have done themselves a favor by having Taylor Swift as a special guest on their new album - it could have given them a fighting chance in the charts. If you can't beat 'em, have them join your band.
I'd bet that all the T.Swift fans who are sweeping up her new album would have also picked up the new Stones album just to hear her contribution (s). As a bonus. they might have also become lifelong Stones fans!
As noted earlier, Taylor Swift has performed with The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger has performed with Taylor Swift. Seems it would have been a win-win situation for both, but even more so for the Stones.
As it stands, it appears the Stones are playing second fiddle to Taylor Swift, and I'm not sure waiting a week or two before or after her release will make much of a difference anyways in the current music climate.

Whatever the case, now back to waiting and wondering what will happen next as the world turns around Taylor Swift.
Hopefully an announcement for the new Stones album next week, otherwise who know what other detours lie ahead.

#rollingswift...smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2023 00:21

At thee moment Mattel and Swift
are hoovering up all the $$$$$bucks in the world ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2023 01:16

Hairball
Speaking of good old Bill...

Would have been nice to have Bill playing on two new tunes like Paul is, rather than one. His playing will no doubt give the tune some of the long lost Stonesy authenticity that's been missing since he left.
And maybe/hopefully Keith will take over some of the bass duties as he's done so well in the past. In fact I'd say Keith's bass playing is superior to that of Darryl's as far as the unique Stonesy sound is concerned,
and thats not intended to be a criticism of D.Jones who obviously has skills. Thinking of tunes like Sympathy, Live With Me, etc., not to mention the many excellent tunes Keith plays bass on for the Crosseyed Heart album.
Keith might have lost a step or two when it comes to his guitar playing, but his bass playing is still top notch superior imo. And is it possible they would bring in Charlie Drayton from the Winos? Wouldn't surprise me with Steve Jordan now in the mix, and it might be interesting to hear the classic Stonesy sounding Wino team of Jordan/Drayton on a Stones album, though probably not everyone would agree which is understandable.

Charley Drayton has been busy touring drumming for Bob Dylan.

Date: August 11, 2023 01:21

MadMetaphoricalMax
That came out a decade ago, no? IS this another re-recording of hers? Interesting ...

Edit: Not sure but...

She re-recorded her first four albums (something like that) because she got, uh, a bad deal (she has zero control over them because who she signed with did something pretty bad) so she now has total control over them as her own owned recordings.

It wouldn't surprise me if she said (or says) something like, Oh, don't buy or stream the original albums and her fanbase would very likely say Ok.

As I recall those four re-recordings were in the top 20 or Top 10 at the same time with her new LP. Haven't seen anything specific about this new release.

Oops. It's 1989. OK well, whatever. She's controlling her destiny or something like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-11 01:24 by GasLightStreet.

Date: August 11, 2023 01:26

bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
That came out a decade ago, no? IS this another re-recording of hers? Interesting ...

Taylor Swift is re-recording her old albums because her former record label, Big Machine Records was sold to Scooter Braun, giving him the rights to Swift's master recordings for Big Machine.

Ah! There it is! And he's been quite a tool about it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 11, 2023 08:01

She’s almost thru them all. At the rate she’s going she should be done by this time next year. Maybe just shelve the new album til then.

Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: August 11, 2023 08:28

New Paul McCartney interview reveals he actually played on two songs on the Rolling Stones new album (and not just one…)

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 11, 2023 10:31

Posterity will remember that a former Beatle played on the Stones last studio album (with original material).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: August 11, 2023 10:54

EggersBand
New Paul McCartney interview reveals he actually played on two songs on the Rolling Stones new album (and not just one…)

[oglobo.globo.com]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 11, 2023 11:32

powerage78
Posterity will remember that a former Beatle played on the Stones last studio album (with original material).

And they wrote their first song (I Wanna Be Your Man)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 11, 2023 11:51

VoodooLounge13
She’s almost thru them all. At the rate she’s going she should be done by this time next year. Maybe just shelve the new album til then.

Yeah, too bad the Stones haven't been swift enough.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 11, 2023 12:46

[iorr.org]

And this is another thread that needs to be closed, nearly 700 pages of speculative rubbish - in the absence of anything concrete from the band !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 11, 2023 14:43

paulywaul
[iorr.org]

And this is another thread that needs to be closed, nearly 700 pages of speculative rubbish - in the absence of anything concrete from the band !

Here are two options:
Ignore the thread
Start your own fan site

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: August 11, 2023 17:49

I'm still hoping for september release....maybe we can feed social media..
I'll post a pic with petition later on insta..we will be victorious and have our album

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 11, 2023 18:06

kkhoranstoned

I'm still hoping for september release....

Maybe a first single in conjunction with the album announcement - but not the album itself.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 11, 2023 20:47

paulywaul
[iorr.org]

This is why this exists instead: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 11, 2023 20:51

georgelicks
Taylor Swift announced today the release of her album 1989 for 10/26 and it will be the release of the year, already in less than 12 hours it sold 140,000 copies in pre-sale only in the United States, so:

1- The Stones album will not come out on 10/26 or 11/03, with such high sales in the first 2 weeks, the Stones album (and any other release) does not have the slightest chance and will be totally overshadowed

2- In order for it to come out earlier, like 10/20, it has to be announced next week at the latest, if there are no news we are going to launch for 11/17 or 11/24 at the earliest, seeing the timeline of announcement and release of albums today.

No disrespect intended to Soldatti, but they are not the same markets at all. The Stones having a quick #2 debut before the album drops like a lead balloon on the charts is probably the best Polydor and Interscope are expecting anyway. I would imagine if they have a release date earmarked, competition from the biggest pop star in the world isn't a consideration.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 11, 2023 20:51

I'm still wondering why they had that photoshoot moment with the three of them in New York.. it had to be for SOMETHING..

Date: August 11, 2023 21:10

Rocky Dijon

No disrespect intended to Soldatti, but they are not the same markets at all.

End of 2020 there was a competition for Chart Pos. #1 between Paul McCartney (he won) and Taylor Swift - [www.Showbiz411.com] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 11, 2023 21:47

Rocky Dijon
georgelicks
Taylor Swift announced today the release of her album 1989 for 10/26 and it will be the release of the year, already in less than 12 hours it sold 140,000 copies in pre-sale only in the United States, so:

1- The Stones album will not come out on 10/26 or 11/03, with such high sales in the first 2 weeks, the Stones album (and any other release) does not have the slightest chance and will be totally overshadowed

2- In order for it to come out earlier, like 10/20, it has to be announced next week at the latest, if there are no news we are going to launch for 11/17 or 11/24 at the earliest, seeing the timeline of announcement and release of albums today.

No disrespect intended to Soldatti, but they are not the same markets at all. The Stones having a quick #2 debut before the album drops like a lead balloon on the charts is probably the best Polydor and Interscope are expecting anyway. I would imagine if they have a release date earmarked, competition from the biggest pop star in the world isn't a consideration.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to shoot for a No. 1 debut. If they find the right landing spot, it could happen.

Of course, they also want to maximize sales — which means not dropping it in August.

As I speculated above, if we don’t hear something by Labor Day, that would indicate to me that they’re waiting until next year.

Date: August 11, 2023 22:00

MelBelli

if we don’t hear something by Labor Day, that would indicate to me that they’re waiting until next year.

Yep, the announcement of the new album should be until mid-September (Labor Day is Sept. 4) - if they wanna release the new album end of 2023.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 11, 2023 22:11

I think given the length of time it's been, there's no reason not to shoot for #1. Especially with good marketing and promotion behind it. And a strategic release date. I just don't see them winning a head to head with Swift. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see that path.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:24

NashvilleBlues
paulywaul
[iorr.org]

Here are two options:
Ignore the thread
Start your own fan site

You forgot the third ....

Stay right here and comment as one sees fit ! OK with you Sir ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: erad ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:29

MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to shoot for a No. 1 debut. If they find the right landing spot, it could happen.

Of course, they also want to maximize sales — which means not dropping it in August.

As I speculated above, if we don’t hear something by Labor Day, that would indicate to me that they’re waiting until next year.

I work as a buyer in a big record store (maybe biggest in Australasia). Unfortunately imo when/if the new album is released it has no chance of hitting #1. The Stones are largely irrelevant, we don't sell much of their stuff new anymore and in some cases the newer releases (Grr Live, Licked in NYC etc) I have had to mark down to move them.

Now an album of new tunes is certainly a different proposition to yet another live album, but the longer time goes on, the returns are becoming more and more diminishing. Younger people simply don't care or don't know about the Stones.

They have faded into irrelevancy and as much as I love them are now just one of many nostalgia acts resting on their laurels. Maybe if their had been more of an effort to release new music over the years since ABB it would be different but 18 years is an eternity.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:42

erad
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks

I work as a buyer in a big record store (maybe biggest in Australasia). Unfortunately imo when/if the new album is released it has no chance of hitting #1. The Stones are largely irrelevant, we don't sell much of their stuff new anymore and in some cases the newer releases (Grr Live, Licked in NYC etc) I have had to mark down to move them.

Now an album of new tunes is certainly a different proposition to yet another live album, but the longer time goes on, the returns are becoming more and more diminishing. Younger people simply don't care or don't know about the Stones.

They have faded into irrelevancy and as much as I love them are now just one of many nostalgia acts resting on their laurels. Maybe if their had been more of an effort to release new music over the years since ABB it would be different but 18 years is an eternity.

I can barely muster any interest in Licked in NYC or Grrr Live.

The proper comp is Blue and Lonesome.

If this new album ever comes out, it should do even better than that.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:59

erad
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks

Sadly true! An articulate and erudite summary of the realities that now obtain where The Stones, and specifically the 'new' album, are concerned. I'm using quotation marks because it no longer feels new. Even to me, and I am a lifelong, and passionate Stones fan. The endless faffing about. The endless rumours. The endless hints and leaks. The endless teasing and tantalising. It really is extraordinarily unnecessary.

The new album will sell to dyed-in-the-wool Stones fans. And to very few other people. The hordes that attend their concerts simply don't buy Stones albums. In any form. Except Hot Rocks of course. Because the concert goes only want to hear the warhorses. And most of them own them already. Many times over in some cases. So it does not matter, one iota, when the thing is released. At least not in a sales sense. So get it out there for Heaven's sake. We have waited long enough.

I'm tempted to suggest that The Stones might like to show a wee bit of understanding and respect to their die hard fans. Do they owe us anything? Opinions will vary. and many will say they do not. I disagree, but gently. I have no wish to be inappropriate, disrespectful, or act with a sense of entitlement, However, sixty years, and counting, of fanship, expenditure, love and impassioned support should count for SOMETHING.

Surely?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 699 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home