Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...691692693694695696697698699700701...LastNext
Current Page: 696 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 7, 2023 17:44

MelBelli
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Mabru
Blue and lonesome was also a December release and late October even “Havana Moon” was released. So we still expect maybe a release this year. Although there is a waiting list for pressing vinyl

B&L was announced two months before its release, so, yes, there is still time.

August really is just about the deadest time for the entertainment industry, and for business generally.

If we don’t hear something by the end of Labor Day weekend, I’m going to assume they are waiting until next year.

… and I don’t want to hear anything more about waiting to take advantage of Christmas sales!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 7, 2023 18:12

Late November/early December would make it a Xmas release. Not unlikely either, in my view.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 7, 2023 18:45

doitywoik
Late November/early December would make it a Xmas release. Not unlikely either, in my view.

For the record, no pun intended, that would be fine with me.

I don’t believe it would make much of a difference, but no one is asking for my input. They’ve been overthinking this stuff for an excruciatingly long time.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 7, 2023 20:25

They've done a photo session and video shoot. Obviously, it's coming soon since there's a marketing budget for it. They may still have tinkered in the studio since the tour cancellation bought them extra time. It doesn't really matter. It's coming soon. We don't need to know anything until Polydor and Interscope decide to release the information.

Date: August 7, 2023 20:49

MelBelli
doitywoik

I don’t believe it would make much of a difference, but no one is asking for my input. They’ve been overthinking this stuff for an excruciatingly long time.

If anyone would ask for our input we had a new album every 2-3 years ... winking smiley

Date: August 8, 2023 03:33

From Liam on Shidoobee

I was listening to Howard Stern's surprise show on the Sirius XM app last night, and he was talking to his friend, Ross Zapin, who has strong ties to the music business. They started talking about their favourite Stones songs, and Ross mentioned that 3 people have told him they've heard the new Stones album and that it's exceptional.

Not much of an update, but good to hear good things about the new album! Can't wait to hear it

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: August 8, 2023 04:22

DiegoGlimmerStones
From Liam on Shidoobee

I was listening to Howard Stern's surprise show on the Sirius XM app last night, and he was talking to his friend, Ross Zapin, who has strong ties to the music business. They started talking about their favourite Stones songs, and Ross mentioned that 3 people have told him they've heard the new Stones album and that it's exceptional.

Not much of an update, but good to hear good things about the new album! Can't wait to hear it

Thanks so much for sharing this tidbit. It certainly gives us hope and is preferable to hearing others say they are disappointed in what they've heard.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2023 05:44

doitywoik
MelBelli
doitywoik

If anyone would ask for our input we had a new album every 2-3 years ... winking smiley

Yes there has been lots of input and advice in this thread, and all of it given for free! smiling smiley

There has been lists of original song titles, album titles, album cover artwork, possible cover tunes, and special guest wish lists - some which have come true (BILL!!!).
And while they may have paid attention and utilized some of our input lol, they completely ignored the given timeline - otherwise, the new album would have been completed years ago!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 8, 2023 05:55

DiegoGlimmerStones
From Liam on Shidoobee

Thank you! Sounds promising!

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 8, 2023 06:02

doitywoik
Hairball
doitywoik

Let's be honest: If this was a tune performed by the Stones, we would praise it to the skies!

We would? eye popping smiley

Speaking for myself, I'll be completely honest...I don't think so. Makes the 'Tell the Truth' snippet sound like an absolute masterpiece. lol
Besides, Keith would probably veto it as fast as it came out of the speaker...in other words (or in his words) "This ain't Stones material..."

Well, Keith famously also thought Satisfaction wouldn't work as a single .. winking smiley

More seriously now: I often wonder how we would judge Stones tunes if they came from someone else (the old question of fan bias). I won't name any Stones songs not to start a "fight" but - honest now on my part - if e.g. Main Offender hadn't Keith Richards written over it, I think it wouldn't have garnered much attention.

Nothing wrong with Main Offender: 999, Hate It When You Leave, Demon, Wicked As It Seems, Eileen...damn fine LP. The Winos really came into their own on it.

Date: August 8, 2023 06:03

RollingStoner
peoplewitheyes
Interesting choice of quote from Keith to post on the RS official FB page:

"One of the great luxuries of the Stones is we have an enormous, great big can of stuff. I mean what anybody hears is just the tip of an iceberg, you know. And down there are vaults of stuff. But you have to have the patience and the time to actually sift through it."
- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

Could it mean something, or am I reading too much into it?

I thought the same thing! I’m baffled the Stones have not released vault materials akin to Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series.

Date: August 8, 2023 06:16

RollingStoner
peoplewitheyes
Interesting choice of quote from Keith to post on the RS official FB page:

"One of the great luxuries of the Stones is we have an enormous, great big can of stuff. I mean what anybody hears is just the tip of an iceberg, you know. And down there are vaults of stuff. But you have to have the patience and the time to actually sift through it."
- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

Could it mean something, or am I reading too much into it?

I thought the same thing! I’m baffled the Stones have not released vault materials akin to Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series.

There could be some unheard gems coming out of nowhere like their Putty In Your Hands cover or the She's Doing Her Thing original. The latter coming from TSMR-era which already had a multi-disc collection from those sessions. Or you get a endless hours of vocaless blue jams and super long versions of released songs that were edited down.

That recent post of the R. Mack interview indicates they may have done more sessions than previously thought at Musicland.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 8, 2023 13:25

304 pages to go!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 8, 2023 14:19

Well the pace at which the pages add on seems to have slowed considerably this year so I’d say at the rate we’re going it would be several more years before the new album is released if we waited to coincide with this thread hitting 1,000 pages!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 8, 2023 20:02

VoodooLounge13
Well the pace at which the pages add on seems to have slowed considerably this year so I’d say at the rate we’re going it would be several more years before the new album is released if we waited to coincide with this thread hitting 1,000 pages!!!

1,000 pages won't happen unless there will be new quotes from band members that we could chew on or interesting OT routes we could explore - or a major postponement, of course...

But as it looks now, even Hairball can't rescue the 1.000 pages goal, and that alone speaks volumes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-08 20:47 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2023 21:01

MelBelli
The hour is getting late for an October release, but it also makes sense that they’re trying to give Forty Licks as much runway as possible.

UMe can reissue whatever they want whenever they want however they want. There was no need for HONK other than the people at UMe probably felt that the Stones have delivered nothing new, aside from BLUE AND LONESOME, so... with the US NO FILTER tour happening, obviously time for another hits comp (bizarrely unoriginal thanks to JUMP BACK), although the tour was delayed 2 months past the release date.

With Mick finishing his 80th year, why not reissue FORTY LICKS on his birthday? It's probably already forgotten!

Date: August 8, 2023 21:06

From an interview with Paul McCartney for Brazil's O Globo:

"Paul McCartney says it was "a lot of fun" to record a guest appearance, playing bass, on the new Rolling Stones album.

— One day I was having dinner with Ronnie (Wood, guitarist for the Stones), I asked how the recordings were going and he said to me: “Oh, sometimes I have to mediate between Mick (Jagger, vocals) and Keith (Richards , guitarist)..." And then I said that I had a guy to help them, Andrew Watt, the producer I was working with. Later we even found out that Mick was already talking to him – he reveals. — And then Andrew asked me one day, “Would you like to play bass on some tracks?”

After recording two Stones songs, Paul came home like a little boy:

“I realized that I had known these guys forever, that I had been to their shows, and they to ours, and that John (Lennon) and I had even done some backing vocals for one of their songs. But I had never played with them, all together, in the same room. So I loved it."

[oglobo.globo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 00:29 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 8, 2023 21:15

Obrigado, Cristiano!

Date: August 8, 2023 21:23

My pleasure, bye bye johnny! smileys with beer

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 8, 2023 21:33

Oh, two songs?

Discuss.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2023 21:36

Good for Paul! Not anyone can get a chance to play with the Rolling Stones. And even cutting two tracks.

But his description reveals that it is 'business as normal' as far as Stones sessions go. Mick and Keith have occasionally some disagreements, and it is the whole band cutting the track together. Just like in the good old days. Beautiful.

Thanks, Christiano - and Paul!

- Doxa

Date: August 8, 2023 22:10

Cristiano Radtke
From a interview with Paul McCartney for Brazil's O Globo:

"Paul McCartney says it was "a lot of fun" to record a guest appearance, playing bass, on the new Rolling Stones album.

— One day I was having dinner with Ronnie (Wood, guitarist for the Stones), I asked how the recordings were going and he said to me: “Oh, sometimes I have to mediate between Mick (Jagger, vocals) and Keith (Richards , guitarist)..." And then I said that I had a guy to help them, Andrew Watt, the producer I was working with. Later we even found out that Mick was already talking to him – he reveals. — And then Andrew asked me one day, “Would you like to play bass on some tracks?”

After recording two Stones songs, Paul came home like a little boy:

“I realized that I had known these guys forever, that I had been to their shows, and they to ours, and that John (Lennon) and I had even done some backing vocals for one of their songs. But I had never played with them, all together, in the same room. So I loved it."

[oglobo.globo.com]

Thanks Cristiano for the latest Macca-Stones news. thumbs up

Now it's two songs from Paul?!!!! Will both new tunes make it on to the new Stones album?
And if there is indeed two tunes featuring Paul, maybe there will be a cover tune AND an original...the possibilities of pondering either are endless.

Will the original be a rocker? A ballad? A dance tune? Maybe something traditional/bluesy, or something edgy/contemporary??
Will the cover be a Beatles tune? A Stones tune? Or maybe even both with a remake of I Wanna Be Your Man? Or maybe an old blues cover? Or a Motown cover? Or maybe it will simply be two originals or two covers?
Something tells me the mythical tune Paul and Keith wrote together will finally see the light of day...that sure would be a treat. Whatever the case, Pauls excellent bass playing will be a welcome addition imo.
Hopefully Bill's contribution will be just as major and celebrated in the same way. And then there's Elton John, Ben Waters, and other possible guests to ponder (Dua Lipa?), not to mention the multiple producers.
Seems like a lot of commotion just to record a single album with so many guests and producers involved, but hopefully they will narrow it all down to the best of the best. It's been along time coming...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-08 22:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2023 00:11

Three tracks with decent bass players, sounds good. Would be interesting to hear Paul play on a Charlie track, and a Jordan track. Same with Bill, but I assume he's only on a Charlie track.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 9, 2023 00:36

24FPS
Three tracks with decent bass players, sounds good. Would be interesting to hear Paul play on a Charlie track, and a Jordan track. Same with Bill, but I assume he's only on a Charlie track.

Paul said he was playing with all of them in the same room, so I guess the tracks he's on are Jordan tracks.

- Doxa

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: August 9, 2023 00:44

I predict the title of this thread will change for ''New Stones album for 2024'' at a certain point in time...

Date: August 9, 2023 01:47

daniel t
I predict the title of this thread will change for ''New Stones album for 2024'' at a certain point in time...

I hope you're wrong daniel t, but wouldn't be surprised due to the numerous changes we've already seen since the thread began way back in 2016...many years ago....
We're so close, yet so far...this year or the next (or the next)...hopefully we see it at all...18 years and counting....it's gotta be this year...just say NO to 2024... winking smiley

The latest Macca-Stones news is encouraging and uplifting though, and thanks to Paul for keeping the hope alive, even against the odds!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2023 01:53

Hairball
daniel t

I hope you're wrong daniel t, but wouldn't be surprised due to the numerous changes we've already seen since the thread began way back in 2016...many years ago....
We're so close, yet so far...this year or the next (or the next)...hopefully we see it at all...18 years and counting....it's gotta be this year...just say NO to 2024... winking smiley

The latest Macca-Stones news is encouraging and uplifting though, and thanks to Paul for keeping the hope alive, even against the odds!

Indeed! If it weren't for the ex Beatle playing bass on that track, I doubt they would have been able to finish the album!

Date: August 9, 2023 02:07

Evidenty Paul plays bass on TWO tracks - not just one, or at least he recorded two songs with the Stones. See the latest news posted by Cristiano above.
Seems the Stones are indeed getting by with a little help from their friends, and whether they would have finished the album without all of the help is impossible to know for certain.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 9, 2023 02:52

Hairball
Evidenty Paul plays bass on TWO tracks - not just one, or at least he recorded two songs with the Stones. See the latest news posted by Cristiano above.
Seems the Stones are indeed getting by with a little help from their friends, and whether they would have finished the album without all of the help is impossible to know for certain.

There's no indication at all that any of these guests were actually involved in the writing process, so unless proven otherwise, they just added their instrumental parts during the recording process. Consequently, these guests are just promotional "gimmicks" - and to even think that the Stones could not have been able to finish these tracks without them sounds a bit hysterical, sorry.

Macca, Wyman, Elton John and whoever else "outside helping hands" may have added some interesting colourings, but the songs were already there.

Last but not least, there's no confirmation anywhere that this will be just a "single album", could be, but could also turn out that it's going to be a double (or even triple!)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 03:01 by retired_dog.

Date: August 9, 2023 05:41

DiegoGlimmerStones
From Liam on Shidoobee

I'm wondering what these three people would have said if they thought the album is only average, or total crap. Would they have said, "I've heard the new Stones album and it's average at best, just Stones by numbers", or, "I've heard the new Stones album and it's total crap"? I don't think so. So, I wouldn't take such statements too serious.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...691692693694695696697698699700701...LastNext
Current Page: 696 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home