Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...690691692693694695696697698699700...LastNext
Current Page: 695 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 5, 2023 05:50

Hairball
doitywoik

Let's be honest: If this was a tune performed by the Stones, we would praise it to the skies!

We would? eye popping smiley

Speaking for myself, I'll be completely honest...I don't think so. Makes the 'Tell the Truth' snippet sound like an absolute masterpiece. lol
Besides, Keith would probably veto it as fast as it came out of the speaker...in other words (or in his words) "This ain't Stones material..."

Well, Keith famously also thought Satisfaction wouldn't work as a single .. winking smiley

More seriously now: I often wonder how we would judge Stones tunes if they came from someone else (the old question of fan bias). I won't name any Stones songs not to start a "fight" but - honest now on my part - if e.g. Main Offender hadn't Keith Richards written over it, I think it wouldn't have garnered much attention.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2023 06:11

Valid point there doitywoik, and not sure how I'd feel about Main Offender had it been released by an unknown artist, or someone like Barry Manilow!

But back to good old Chris Jagger for a moment...smiling smiley

Just stumbled upon this other tune of his that I'd never heard before, and I think it's actually quite nice with the pics of he and Mick when they were young lads in the video.
And the poignant lyrics ...brother to brother....very moving. Nice piano playing also - has a Paul McCartney/ELO vibe to it, and had it been released under either of those big names it might have been a contender!
Would it make it on to a Stones album? Probably not, but it might even be better than the Stones' Streets of Love. It seems to have that certain something that makes a tune get stuck in your head..for better or worse...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 5, 2023 10:25

Of course there's fan bias. Everything Keith does is fantastic, right?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2023 19:54

NilsHolgersson
Topi
Whether the Stones-Macca collaboration is any good is beside the point. It's historical! Right?

You would think that about a Stevie Wonder - Macca collab, but it turned out to be Ebony and Ivory..

I wonder what you're talking about...it was an amazing tune, as can be seen and heard in this video performance:

Date: August 5, 2023 22:51

Hairball
Valid point there doitywoik, and not sure how I'd feel about Main Offender had it been released by an unknown artist, or someone like Barry Manilow!

But back to good old Chris Jagger for a moment...smiling smiley

Just stumbled upon this other tune of his that I'd never heard before, and I think it's actually quite nice with the pics of he and Mick when they were young lads in the video.
And the poignant lyrics ...brother to brother....very moving. Nice piano playing also - has a Paul McCartney/ELO vibe to it, and had it been released under either of those big names it might have been a contender!
Would it make it on to a Stones album? Probably not, but it might even be better than the Stones' Streets of Love. It seems to have that certain something that makes a tune get stuck in your head..for better or worse...

Well, if Barry Manilow had done Main Offender, there would have been (at least) a third chord somewhere ... LOL

>"Hey Brother ... Would it make it on to a Stones album?

Hmm, Infamy made it onto a Stones album, so everything seems possible ... winking smiley

I have a faint recollection of a Chris Jagger album from the mid-seventies, something with "Ventriloquist". Haven't heard it again in the past five or so decades but I remember the songs as quite decent and likewise the playing, only CJ could have taken a few training units with a voice coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-05 22:52 by doitywoik.

Date: August 5, 2023 23:09

doitywoik

Hmm, Infamy made it onto a Stones album, so everything seems possible ... winking smiley

Yes, the dreadful Infamy from Keith...could have been titled "The Worst", but that title was already taken...
Maybe Chris Jagger should have been brought in to help make it a better tune somehow.smiling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 5, 2023 23:44

Interesting choice of quote from Keith to post on the RS official FB page:

"One of the great luxuries of the Stones is we have an enormous, great big can of stuff. I mean what anybody hears is just the tip of an iceberg, you know. And down there are vaults of stuff. But you have to have the patience and the time to actually sift through it."
- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

Could it mean something, or am I reading too much into it?

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: August 6, 2023 00:04

peoplewitheyes

"One of the great luxuries of the Stones is we have an enormous, great big can of stuff. I mean what anybody hears is just the tip of an iceberg, you know. And down there are vaults of stuff. But you have to have the patience and the time to actually sift through it."
- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

I thought the same thing! I’m baffled the Stones have not released vault materials akin to Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series.

Date: August 6, 2023 01:21

Basically, Keith has made statements to this effect every once in a while for decades. Another, similar, one was that Stones songs need to ripen like good wine.

If the Stones post some such quote now on their very own FB page, there's certainly a reason for it (whatever reason it may be ...).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2023 01:39

Yeah but what year is the keef quote from ??????????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2023 02:36

Rockman

The first time I read some such Keith statement was in an interview with him following the release of Tattoo You or on the occasion of the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour, i.e. 1981/82, I believe it was the German edition of Rolling Stone.

So yeah, could well be that this particular quote is more than 40 years old.

He said such things also later on but if it was German mags, you never knew where or when some quote (or interview) originally came from (or how literal or not so literal the translation was).

Date: August 6, 2023 02:56

According to timeisonourside.com, the quote on fb was originally made in reference to Start Me Up, and is from 2003.

> Start Me Up

The same year, and maybe even the same interview (?), Keith states:

"Somewhere in the middle of a break, just to break the tension, I just... (mimics hitting guitar chord) and we hit the - Charlie and I hit the rock and roll version. And five years later,
when somebody sifted all the way through these - after about 70 takes of Start Me Up and found that one in the middle, you know, it was just buried in there. Nobody remembered cutting it (laughs),
nobody remembered doing it. You know, it was like time out kind of thing. And so we leapt on it and we did a few overdubs on it and... It was like a GIFT, you know, like all songs are gifts really".

Can't find the original source of the quotes/interview at the moment, but would be interesting to read in it's entirety.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 6, 2023 20:50

peoplewitheyes

- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

With respect, yes you are. If Rolling Stones PLC haven't commissioned a thorough sift through their vaults material by now, they are hardly likely to do so anytime soon. And, again with respect, time is passing them by rapidly...

As others have said here, Keith has an irritating habit of giving good quotes, full of inaccurate information. And sometimes, indeed, that are totally wrong. Not because he wishes to deceive anyone, He simply gets carried away with enthusiasm and lapses into wishfulness rather than reality.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 6, 2023 21:02

he also said something similar when rarities was released as well

complete with the phrase 'tip of the iceberg'

Date: August 6, 2023 21:30

"...after about 70 takes of Start Me Up" - Keith

That's enough for a series of albums from the vaults right there, along with a bonus disc.

Title: Start Me Up - More Than You Want, More Than You Need - (vol. I-IV)

Along with cd and streaming, also featured in green, red, black, and multi-colored marble vinyl, along with single, double, triple, and quadruple formats + blu-ray.
Super deluxe includes Start Me Up teddy bear, pin set, fridge magnet, and exclusive toilet bowl cleaner. All yours for only $5,000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-06 21:30 by Hairball.

Date: August 6, 2023 22:23

doitywoik
Rockman

The first time I read some such Keith statement was in an interview with him following the release of Tattoo You or on the occasion of the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour, i.e. 1981/82, I believe it was the German edition of Rolling Stone.

So yeah, could well be that this particular quote is more than 40 years old.

He said such things also later on but if it was German mags, you never knew where or when some quote (or interview) originally came from (or how literal or not so literal the translation was).

I found the interview I was referring to in the above. It was indeed in Rolling Stone, by Kurt Loder, dated November 12, 1981. Here's the Link:

[www.rollingstone.com]

About the making of Tattoo You, and future releases of songs from older sessions in general, Keith says the following (quoting):

When and where did you write the material on Tattoo You?
A lot of it was done in Paris. One of the tracks, “Worried about You,” was done for Black and Blue. The rest were done in Paris between 1977 and last year. I mean, we cut over forty tracks for Emotional Rescue, but at that time it was a matter of picking out the tracks that were the nearest to completion, because we had a deadline that didn’t allow us much time. On this album, we took longer. We started to think about this one soon after the last one came out, and we chose the songs a lot more carefully.

Will we be seeing more songs from those sessions in the future?
Oh, yeah, there’s still loads. I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that’s an advantage you don’t think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn’t get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long — purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments — just get the melody and the music, and we’ll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine — you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It’s stupid to leave all that great stuff just for want of finishin’ it off and gettin’ it together.

Think of all the potential hits that might be lying around.
Yeah, and we probably don’t even recognize half of them. I mean, you just don’t know after a while. I’m the guy who said “Satisfaction” wasn’t a single. That’s what I know.

Keith also talks about several songs from Tattoo You in various places of the interview, but not about SMU.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 7, 2023 08:54

Today is August 7th. It's finally time to announce the release date for the new album. There are only 2 months left until October.
We are waiting and waiting.....

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 7, 2023 09:53

I don’t think the Stones would put out that quote from Keith about outtakes for no reason. I would link it to the so called ‘Fully Finished Outtakes’. Maybe some of that material is about to be released in some form, and the album held back until a tour in ‘24?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 7, 2023 10:52

wupperstein
Today is August 7th. It's finally time to announce the release date for the new album. There are only 2 months left until October.
We are waiting and waiting.....

If the speculated release-date of October is true, there really should've been a single-release by now, surely? Perhaps something is coming imminently.

Date: August 7, 2023 11:00

I think georgelicks mentioned late October/early November at some point.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 7, 2023 11:04

peoplewitheyes

- Keith Richards

[www.facebook.com]

An interesting choice of a quote, indeed.

The album bonus material phase is over, and a new kind of archive release - or series of them - is on the way? Or a reference to the new album indicating that there are material dating back that is finished now?

Or something else..

- Doxa

Date: August 7, 2023 11:31

You know what? I believe we're just reading too much into that quote.

There's plenty of quotes they have posted on their social over the years.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2023 11:44

We've turned into one of those cults...

...faithfully awaiting the second coming or the end of the world...and looking for excuses for the prediction not yet coming true grinning smiley

Date: August 7, 2023 11:51

LOL, we've been exactly that cult for a long time now. At least 17 years and counting, right?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 7, 2023 12:14

Topi
You know what? I believe we're just reading too much into that quote.

There's plenty of quotes they have posted on their social over the years.

Could be, and even highly plausible. But speculating is fun, and like one Glimmer Twin once upon time ago put it, You Shouldn't Take It So Hard...

-Doxa

Date: August 7, 2023 15:31

New album in Autumn, and next year "Tattoo You Some More" together with a tour, does make sense.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 7, 2023 15:57

The hour is getting late for an October release, but it also makes sense that they’re trying to give Forty Licks as much runway as possible.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 7, 2023 16:44

No doubt with me it’s coming this year. The photo shoot in June tells me it’s coming. I’m thinking more late November/ early December

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: August 7, 2023 17:05

Blue and lonesome was also a December release and late October even “Havana Moon” was released. So we still expect maybe a release this year. Although there is a waiting list for pressing vinyl

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 7, 2023 17:35

Mabru
Blue and lonesome was also a December release and late October even “Havana Moon” was released. So we still expect maybe a release this year. Although there is a waiting list for pressing vinyl

B&L was announced two months before its release, so, yes, there is still time.

August really is just about the deadest time for the entertainment industry, and for business generally.

If we don’t hear something by the end of Labor Day weekend, I’m going to assume they are waiting until next year.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...690691692693694695696697698699700...LastNext
Current Page: 695 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1248
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home