Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...676677678679680681682683684685686...LastNext
Current Page: 681 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2023 07:19

20kGrandmas
it’s really all about the songwriting for me. I could care less about guitar solos…the idea that any type of magic is gone while Keith and Mick are still writing together is blasphemous. My favorite and one of the greatest songwriting duos of all time in the history of music are putting out another album. Just feel lucky we get one more. Can’t wait to add it to my full discography playlist, its a truly amazing way to listen to them and appreciate their body of work. It’s a wonder.

Alright - how much could you care less? 20%? 70%?

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 3, 2023 19:38

GasLightStreet
20kGrandmas
it’s really all about the songwriting for me. I could care less about guitar solos…the idea that any type of magic is gone while Keith and Mick are still writing together is blasphemous. My favorite and one of the greatest songwriting duos of all time in the history of music are putting out another album. Just feel lucky we get one more. Can’t wait to add it to my full discography playlist, its a truly amazing way to listen to them and appreciate their body of work. It’s a wonder.

What is blasphemous about it? Mick and Keith have produced a few turkeys in their time. At least in my opinion. Of course they have produced a great deal of excellent music. That is why we are fans after all. But assuming their names over the songwriting credits automatically guarantees magic in every case is somewhat presumptuous.

The endless delays, false promises, hints, insinuations, and as yet NO ALBUM inclines me towards caution regarding its overall quality. I may be unnecessarily reticent about how good it turns out to be. I may be totally wrong. Indeed I hope I am. But anything that has had the torturous creative process this album appears to have endured, may end up being a veritable dog's breakfast. All sorts of bits and pieces welded together in the studio by some producer hired to make something of it all.

Before too many good people here fall upon me and accuse me of treachery, stupidity and worse, I say again I hope I'm wrong. I WANT to be wrong. And I will be thrilled if I am.

But right now I'm cautious. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, and worry more..??

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 3, 2023 19:54

GerardHennessy, I think it is healthy to be cautious as far as predicting the quality of the upcoming album goes. Not until we hear the results we can really say anything about it. Anything is possible.

I think the funny thing about art is that one cannot really deduce the outcome by the base of earlier efforts or circumstances of the creation. The ideal-sounding circumstances might produce a turd, while the most unfortunate sounding ones a masterpiece. I recall talking about this with whatever examples some hundred pages ago here...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 19:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: 20kGrandmas ()
Date: July 3, 2023 20:14

Sorry, I COULDN’T care less about guitar solos. A great groove is essential though.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 3, 2023 20:21

You have summed it all up briallintly as usual Doxa: "The ideal-sounding circumstances might produce a turd, while the most unfortunate sounding ones a masterpiece".

Of course here in this forum in general, but in this thread in particular, the drama is between "Faith" and the labor of more or less logical and reasonable inference and deduction from the ever scarce information (and no original output) (since 2016)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 20:22 by maumau.

Posted by: 20kGrandmas ()
Date: July 3, 2023 20:22

GerardHennessy
GasLightStreet
20kGrandmas

What is blasphemous about it? Mick and Keith have produced a few turkeys in their time. At least in my opinion. Of course they have produced a great deal of excellent music. That is why we are fans after all. But assuming their names over the songwriting credits automatically guarantees magic in every case is somewhat presumptuous.

The endless delays, false promises, hints, insinuations, and as yet NO ALBUM inclines me towards caution regarding its overall quality. I may be unnecessarily reticent about how good it turns out to be. I may be totally wrong. Indeed I hope I am. But anything that has had the torturous creative process this album appears to have endured, may end up being a veritable dog's breakfast. All sorts of bits and pieces welded together in the studio by some producer hired to make something of it all.

Before too many good people here fall upon me and accuse me of treachery, stupidity and worse, I say again I hope I'm wrong. I WANT to be wrong. And I will be thrilled if I am.

But right now I'm cautious. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, and worry more..??

I think the problem is that many want to compare all of their output to their best output (BB, LIB, SF, and EXILE) and to me that is crazy. Bridges to Babylon is awesome in its own right. A Bigger Bang has a few great tracks. Yeah it doesn’t compare to the big 4, but that’s a pretty tall order if you ask me. I know on this album there will be something I love. Give me something different. I don’t care if its a collab or them experimenting with different genres. If I want to hear vintage Stones I can at the touch of a button. Their discography is so incredible they can do whatever they want and still be my favorite band by a moonlight mile!

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 3, 2023 21:21

20kGrandmas
GerardHennessy
GasLightStreet
20kGrandmas

I think the problem is that many want to compare all of their output to their best output (BB, LIB, SF, and EXILE) and to me that is crazy. Bridges to Babylon is awesome in its own right. A Bigger Bang has a few great tracks. Yeah it doesn’t compare to the big 4, but that’s a pretty tall order if you ask me. I know on this album there will be something I love. Give me something different. I don’t care if its a collab or them experimenting with different genres. If I want to hear vintage Stones I can at the touch of a button. Their discography is so incredible they can do whatever they want and still be my favorite band by a moonlight mile!

Fair point! If you love 'em then you love'em. You are certainly a true Stones fan my friend. Good on ya!

And I agree. Each era of The Stones must stand on its own merits.The awesome standards set back in the late 60's & 70's can never be equalled. There is some good stuff right across the 80's 90s and 00's. One of my own favourites is One Hit from Dirty Work. I have a sneaking affection for Love Is Strong. And to the horror of many, I have a great deal of fondness for You Got Me Rocking. (Yes, I know, I know!!) Interestingly, talking of classic era Stones I remember Exile being torn to pieces by the majority of critics on its first appearance. ('Muddled' 'Too long' 'Awful sound' ...) Sticky Fingers had its own share of detractors too, and I recall a fair amount of critical comment at the time about the use of brass instruments so prominently. Especially the sax of Bobby Keys. This despite the fact that brass was used on the Honky Tonk Women single and also on the Let It Bleed album, especially on Live with Me.

Basically to each its own. One of my best friends and a fellow Stones fan considers Beggars Banquet to be 'dreary' and says The Stones have never surpassed Aftermath, although he says Tattoo You 'comes close'

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2023 23:28

Dwight Yoakam would be an interesting addition to the special guest list for the new album as they definitely have a few things in common.
He and Mick wrote the nice country tune What's Left Of Me back in 2001, and now ight be a good time to dust it off and give it an updated Stonesey reinterpretation, though it already has a great Stonesy vibe to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 23:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 3, 2023 23:31

Dwight Yoakam is on the album too? Whoah

Date: July 3, 2023 23:45

I think Dwight would be a better choice than Brad Paisley who made it on to the HONK deluxe album with his guest spot on Dead Flowers with the Stones.
That said, Paisley did a decent job, and was better than the other guests on HONK deluxe imo (Sheeran, Grohl, Welch) so if they include him as a guest on the new album it might work well.
Maybe both Paisley and Yoakam together as special guests on the same tune....a new all star country jam rendition of Dead Flowers or Faraway Eyes... Marty Stuart could also join in.

Date: July 4, 2023 00:21

GerardHennessy

And I agree. Each era of The Stones must stand on its own merits.The awesome standards set back in the late 60's & 70's can never be equalled. There is some good stuff right across the 80's 90s and 00's. One of my own favourites is One Hit from Dirty Work. I have a sneaking affection for Love Is Strong. And to the horror of many, I have a great deal of fondness for You Got Me Rocking. (Yes, I know, I know!!) Interestingly, talking of classic era Stones I remember Exile being torn to pieces by the majority of critics on its first appearance. ('Muddled' 'Too long' 'Awful sound' ...) Sticky Fingers had its own share of detractors too, and I recall a fair amount of critical comment at the time about the use of brass instruments so prominently. Especially the sax of Bobby Keys. This despite the fact that brass was used on the Honky Tonk Women single and also on the Let It Bleed album, especially on Live with Me.

Basically to each its own. One of my best friends and a fellow Stones fan considers Beggars Banquet to be 'dreary' and says The Stones have never surpassed Aftermath, although he says Tattoo You 'comes close'

I draw the line after Black and Blue. I'm a conservative Taylorite.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 4, 2023 00:24

If the tracks recorded for this album go back to at least 2015, wouldn't it be more comparable with Tattoo You ?

That album covered the previous 9 years

sc uk

Date: July 4, 2023 00:28

straycatuk
If the tracks recorded for this album go back to at least 2015, wouldn't it be more comparable with Tattoo You ?

sc uk

Tattoo you? That's nowhere land to me, maybe with the exception of Sonny Rollins.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 4, 2023 00:43

Hairball
Dwight Yoakam would be an interesting addition to the special guest list for the new album as they definitely have a few things in common.
He and Mick wrote the nice country tune What's Left Of Me back in 2001, and now ight be a good time to dust it off and give it an updated Stonesey reinterpretation, though it already has a great Stonesy vibe to it.

But didn't you want an album of originals?

Date: July 4, 2023 00:46

TheflyingDutchman
straycatuk

sc uk

Tattoo you? That's nowhere land to me, maybe with the exception of Sonny Rollins.

What about Tops? smiling smiley

Date: July 4, 2023 01:08

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
straycatuk

sc uk

What about Tops? smiling smiley

It never really moved me, Bard. When I first heard it, I didn't hear Taylor or Keith. Maybe a bit in the intro afterwards, and a bit of Taylor at the end.
Jagger could have hired any band to sing this, imo.This song is Jagger's vocal party. A good vocal party.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:16

straycatuk

sc uk

Evidently some of the tracks might go back even further. I believe there was talk at some point since this thread started way back when that some Steels Wheels outtakes were being considered!
Whatever the case, hope the tracks are strong, and the one or two possible cover tracks are well chosen. With the possible numerous rumoured guests, the options are seemingly endless.
Still thinking a new cover of Come Together with Macca is a very strong possibility and contender considering the Stones attempted to play it live at Desert Trip.
While the Stones fumbled through it live, with the help of Macca and some studio wizadry it could possibly be a huge hit - hard to believe in this day and age Macca and the Stones could rule the charts - together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-04 01:17 by Hairball.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:33

Oh, it's Come Together now? I seem to remember it used to be I Wanna Be Your Man you wanted a remake of.

Date: July 4, 2023 03:57

georgelicks
Topi
mailexile67
I think that photo session in NYC is for the new album packaging.At this point it could be released between October and November maybe with a couple of show to support.They could touring South America/Japan/Australia in Feb/early April and Norþ America in the fall like 2021 Tour.

Looking at their history, it's hard to see a tour behind a new album starting anywhere else than North America.

Albums and tours are two separate things nowadays, this year the activity will be the release of the album in November with promotional interviews in the previous months and maybe some live performance playing 1 or 2 new songs on some TV show, SNL or similar.

The most concrete tour offer today is South America in February and March 2024.

Maybe they can do a performance at Today Show to promote the album too since they have been guests there several times (interviews)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 4, 2023 04:24

Topi
Oh, it's Come Together now? I seem to remember it used to be I Wanna Be Your Man you wanted a remake of.

Hairball's a bit old-fashioned... With McCartney on board, I'd recommend something a bit more adventurous like a modern industrial remake of "Revolution # 9" or "What's The New Mary Jane" that fills an entire side of the new album (speaking in vinyl LP terms, of course) and reflects the destructive, decaying & nihilistic mood of today's world - something that could propel the Stones right back to the top of the game, you know...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 4, 2023 04:58

Actually hoping for no covers.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 4, 2023 04:59

The talk about Steel Wheels outtakes and 1990s outtakes was a project Don Was had championed for a very long time. It was never the "new album." It goes back to 1999 when they were still with Virgin.

There was speculation on this board that the new album might include some of that material, but it was speculation only so far as I know. Apparently Mick did not share Don and Keith's enthusiasm for the concept or it would have happened as part of the UME deal. That called to revisit five classic studio albums only and TATTOO YOU / LOST AND FOUND was the end of that line.

And yes, I'll take "What's Left of Me" over the dreadful "Drive of Shame" song any day. I would also suggest that "Nothing But the Wheel" was Mick's best vocal in decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-04 05:00 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: July 4, 2023 05:38

GerardHennessy

Some of us share your frustrations Gerard.
And as a reminder, there's more than one producer including the oddball Andrew Watt who Keith was unhappy with, and who made a mess of recent Ozzy and Iggy albums.
Dogs breakfast indeed, but won't judge until we hear it...if they ever release it! "The endless delays, false promises, hints, insinuations, and as yet NO ALBUM"...yes indeed, very frustrating.

Date: July 4, 2023 06:30

Rocky Dijon
The talk about Steel Wheels outtakes and 1990s outtakes was a project Don Was had championed for a very long time. It was never the "new album." It goes back to 1999 when they were still with Virgin.

There was speculation on this board that the new album might include some of that material, but it was speculation only so far as I know. Apparently Mick did not share Don and Keith's enthusiasm for the concept or it would have happened as part of the UME deal. That called to revisit five classic studio albums only and TATTOO YOU / LOST AND FOUND was the end of that line.

And yes, I'll take "What's Left of Me" over the dreadful "Drive of Shame" song any day. I would also suggest that "Nothing But the Wheel" was Mick's best vocal in decades.

They've probably been working on that material. I can't wait for the moment we find out

“There’s about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up,” says Wood, “and Keith’s got the odd one, too.” Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Don Was, who has been co-producing the Stones since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, told us that over the course of the new album sessions, a tremendous amount of material has been tracked by the band. According to him, Jagger and Richards simply haven’t created the album they want to release yet: “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough — it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album’ll come out.”

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 4, 2023 11:32

Thanks, Diego, for reminding us of that ROLLING STONE article. I have forgotten it, I must say.

Back then (2019) Don Was was still heavily onboard. It was not just Mick talking about "not just good, but great" (maybe Don is paraphrasing Mick there), so there've been a pretty heavy quality control (unlike, say, with A BIGGER BANG in which they seemingly released about every tune worked on). But yeah, about 40 potential tracks to choose from - that's something like they did back in the old days, especially during the Pathe Marconi era.

But about Keith's remark about some dating back to 15 years or more. That sort of recollection can be very hazy, but I guess one might think he refers to LICKS sessions. We know that Keith has already used the stuff from those sessions in his solo album, so why not here also. Who knows if "the odd one" mentioned by Ronnie and him talking about (some years earlier) "diamond riffs" he's been cooking up, date also from there.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-04 11:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 4, 2023 12:10

So we've gone from "hitting the wall" to having too much to choose from grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 4, 2023 17:51

No, we've gone from "hitting the wall" to being excited that they need the surviving Beatles, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Dupa Loopy, and my cousin Ned to actually finish the album to Keith hates Andrew Watt to the album probably won't ever be released to I hope it doesn't suck because Jagger is still in the band.

All in a day's work for the IORR sleeper cell.

Date: July 4, 2023 19:39

Spud
So we've gone from "hitting the wall" to having too much to choose from grinning smiley

Too many knee injury diagnoses to choose from, too...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 4, 2023 19:55

There was one mention about Keith not liking Andrew Watt. We don’t know if it’s even true. Rumors is all we have we have to remember nothing is factual. We are so desperate for this album we take all the rumors as fact

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 4, 2023 21:07

Bashlets
There was one mention about Keith not liking Andrew Watt. We don’t know if it’s even true. Rumors is all we have we have to remember nothing is factual. We are so desperate for this album we take all the rumors as fact

Actually, not "we" but some notorious usual suspects who take the faintest quotes and create endless dramas out of them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...676677678679680681682683684685686...LastNext
Current Page: 681 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home