Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...362363364365366367368369370371372...LastNext
Current Page: 367 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: September 1, 2019 10:46

[www.kshe95.com]

The Rolling Stones’ longtime producer Don Was says that the band is waiting for the perfect collection of 10 tracks before they release their latest album.

The band has been in the studio at various points over the past seven years, and during the sessions, recorded the pair of 2012 tracks “Doom And Gloom” and “One More Shot,” which appeared on that year’s GRRR! compilation.

In the midst of the sessions, the band also recorded their last studio set, the Grammy Award-winning blues collection, Blue & Lonesome, which was recorded in December 2015 during a break taping the latest batch of Mick Jagger/Keith Richards originals.

Don Was, who has been co-producing the Stones since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, told us that over the course of the new album sessions, a tremendous amount of material has been tracked by the band. According to him, Jagger and Richards simply haven’t created the album they want to release yet: “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough — it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album’ll come out.”

[www.kshe95.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-01 10:54 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2019 12:33

Okay Don baby ….
i'm willing ta wait but pleeeeze tell 'em ta nudge it up a cog or two …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 1, 2019 13:21

Would love it to come out just before Summer 2020...New Decade,New Record,New tour...I think it will be out sooner not later at this stage..We shall see!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 1, 2019 15:03

Bets now being taken on when this thread's views (818909) will overtake Rockman's Stones Connections (837937) and mighty stork's picture thread (868856). One thing for sure, we still won't have a new album when it happens.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 1, 2019 15:44

mikey C
Would love it to come out just before Summer 2020...New Decade,New Record,New tour...I think it will be out sooner not later at this stage..We shall see!!

December 2019 (just like B&L in 2016) and then tour down-under early 2020.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-01 18:11 by mtaylor.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 1, 2019 16:42

Don Was comments above are from a July interview with Gary Graff of The Oakland Press:

Don Was celebrates past and present at this year's Concert of Colors

Matthieu Bitton

[www.theoaklandpress.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:01

georgelicks
We'll not hear anything about the new album until next year, the whole band will be on vacations/off time during the next 3 months at least with studio sessions booked in early December.

Thanks georgelicks - hopefully all the positive energy from the recent leg of the No Filter tour carries over into the studio when they reconvene in December

So according to Don Was, there's stockpile of 40 unfinished tunes that still need work, yet they haven't decided which of the 40 are the best.
In December, they'll probably add several more unfinished tunes to the stockpile taking it up to 42 or 43, and confusing the process even further.
There's a chance they'll start narrowing it down with the 40 unfinished they already have, but something tells me Mick will bring some new songs to the party as he "writes all the time".
This chasing of perfection seems to have no end in sight, but maybe/hopefully the wait will be worth it...by 2022/23 we'll all have reason to celebrate - especially if it's a good album.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:52

The resolution is staring them right in the face: Forget the traditional definitive LP. Put it all out! The Mick stuff Keith doesn’t like, the “Keith mixes” that he prefers, the stuff Mick wants to hear playing in clubs, the odds and sods.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:55

Hopefully by Thanksgiving

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 1, 2019 20:12

MelBelli
The resolution is staring them right in the face: Forget the traditional definitive LP. Put it all out! The Mick stuff Keith doesn’t like, the “Keith mixes” that he prefers, the stuff Mick wants to hear playing in clubs, the odds and sods.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 1, 2019 20:36

Hard to second guess guys who've delivered the Best over tine,
but that's where fans come in....lol, and
deservedly so if it's epochs between releades....
...if that sweet young lady at the bar when Rough
Justice was on the juke is now the mother of
of your teenage kids.....
....Ian wasn't old enough to drive and now hes probably
worked more in the studio these past years than Ron.
Chuck for sure....

Continuity and sense of time and period with what an "album"
tradidionally, in some cases anyway, helped define
Its impact....like the "periods" during Buttons or Satanic
or Banquet, let's consider....
...but sometimes THOSE albums had tracks in
storage that were finished....
....it sounds a bit the clusterfutz but I don't know...
We don't know how close to "finished" or not,
any of those songs are ....
we don't really know their process or the Dynamics of the glimz
Working this fascinting stuff out...

They are "feel" guys...it seems a mountain of stuff
to Wade thru....plus as time goes by, they get hot, like now fresh from tour...
A good one....uh. yes new LP....
I'd love if they just released a two song "single" twice a year,
Or ANYTHING...like the old days....the singles promote
The album....??
an album, or collection would accumulate...
....and take some pressure off the whole comparison thing....

Or be the heavy statement...
Some of that can't be avoided...
Very happy w this na tour clips...
....dunno about all this...
...what IS am album per se...these days...
Who's buying them from where...or mostly collections
Of big promoted radio hits in a narrow pop market,?

I am imagining some super tracks in storage over time...
The new technology hurts as well as helps....
How many are basics without one of the other Stones...

Release something..
Mick's single ...
Like that more Stripped process...
Without too many Remixes...

....u know....like this next one had to eclipse everything else:-)

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 1, 2019 20:49

ABB. 2005. Superbowl.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:00

Okay so we FINALLY have some clarification as to why this album has been such a long process. They are really being self-conscious about this one. I think they know this album will be their last, and they sure as hell don't want to put out something that can be considered a "good album" like Don Was stated. They want it to be a "great album" from start to finish, 10 songs. Honestly, that makes me extremely happy.

They really do care about what they've been recording over these past 4 years. They don't want to make a great album because they "have" to. They want to make a great album because they "want" to. It seems like they have enough material that's not just keen on one sound. They're still trying to decide what direction they want the final sound to be. I'm all for it. If waiting more time means that we'll get an "A+" final Stones album of 10 f*cking great songs, than so be it. I'm happy that they're putting a lot of thought into making this an unforgettable album.

"When the shit hits the fan, I'll be sitting on the can"

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:25

A general question:

When they pick a dozen or so tracks to release, do they go into the studio together for two weeks and record everything anew to get an album with a unified sound? Or do they piece together what they have, add to that, etc.,individually?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:36

Hairball
So according to Don Was, there's stockpile of 40 unfinished tunes that still need work, yet they haven't decided which of the 40 are the best.

Double the number mentioned in a May interview with The Times:

[iorr.org]

Might be 60 before too long. ; )

Date: September 2, 2019 00:26

Hairball
georgelicks
We'll not hear anything about the new album until next year, the whole band will be on vacations/off time during the next 3 months at least with studio sessions booked in early December.

Thanks georgelicks - hopefully all the positive energy from the recent leg of the No Filter tour carries over into the studio when they reconvene in December

They definitely won't work on ALL of those 40 unfinished tunes any further. It's kind of the same story with SOME GIRLS. They had 40 or so songs/jams/ideas to choose from. They picked like 15 of those songs to further work on, 10 of which made it to the album and one used as a b-side (Everything Is Turning To Gold).

They'll probably narrow it down to 15 or so songs to that they feel are the "best" of the bunch and narrow that down to the final 10, which apparently according to Don Was is the number of songs they want on the actual album, and maybe a couple others for bonus stuff.

Date: September 2, 2019 01:15

One of the great luxuries of the Stones is they have
an enormous, great big can of stuff. I mean, what anybody
hears is just the tip of an iceberg. You know, down there
is vaults of stuff. But you have to have the patience and
the time to actually sift through it.

- Keith Richards, 2003

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2019 01:16

Rokyfan
A general question:

When they pick a dozen or so tracks to release, do they go into the studio together for two weeks and record everything anew to get an album with a unified sound? Or do they piece together what they have, add to that, etc.,individually?

It's the latter part of your question that is the answer. Although they may do several takes of a song they seem to be apt to have one take that is the master. Chris Kimsey has talked about that - they don't get the songs together than then record them all again in one giant block.

Regarding an album that was from its specific sessions it seems that very few of them are done from beginning to end solely at that time, regardless of when the songs were written. It's probably accurate to say that they've done that with BLACK AND BLUE and from UNDERCOVER onward.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 2, 2019 01:22

MelBelli

Agree. Call if Stones at Work, or Work in Progress.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 2, 2019 01:31

They've got 40 tracks but can't find 12 that shine out as being particularly strong or promising?

Doesn't sound great to me.

Date: September 2, 2019 01:35

maybe the whole 40 are brilliant tracks …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 2, 2019 01:59

Rockman
maybe the whole 40 are brilliant tracks …..

Ian B... is that you?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 2, 2019 03:05

What's "great"? If the standard is Sticky Fingers, we may be waiting a while.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 2, 2019 03:30

Maybe they actually have 20 really good songs out of 40. Maybe they are pushing for 2 more albums like some girls and emotional rescue. I know I’m being overly optimistic but wouldn’t it be great if the last 2 studio albums shined. Yes I’m not in reality. LOL

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2019 04:28

JordyLicks96
Hairball
georgelicks

They definitely won't work on ALL of those 40 unfinished tunes any further. It's kind of the same story with SOME GIRLS. They had 40 or so songs/jams/ideas to choose from. They picked like 15 of those songs to further work on, 10 of which made it to the album and one used as a b-side (Everything Is Turning To Gold).

They'll probably narrow it down to 15 or so songs to that they feel are the "best" of the bunch and narrow that down to the final 10, which apparently according to Don Was is the number of songs they want on the actual album, and maybe a couple others for bonus stuff.

I know how the old process worked, but this is a brand new monster we're dealing with - the first new Stones album of originals since 2005!

And you edited out the part of my post that states "In December, they'll probably add several more unfinished tunes to the stockpile taking it up to 42 or 43, and confusing the process even further"....
or as bye bye johnny mentioned above, maybe 60 before too long! With the snails pace they're working at, and the (unrealistic) desire to make a "perfect" album, well.....sounds like a massive quagmire in the making.

If it were up to me, I'd hire Melbelli's to be the coach of the team at this point!

MelBelli

It's a WIN WIN situation! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 04:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 2, 2019 04:34

Can't help it, this Don Was statement on 40 unfinished songs strikingly reminds me of Mick's 40 demos....

If they are all absolutely great tunes the obvious solution would be to make them into three absolutely great albums, no? grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2019 05:05

Reading this recent bit about 40 unfinished songs had me Googling Mick's newest solo releases, because I couldn't remember their @#$%& names, to listen to them again and attempt to... have an idea of - if those two tracks are Mick's idea of making Rolling Stones records, there is a huge problem.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 2, 2019 06:59

Hell, who knows, maybe we're lucky we don't know Keith's three riffs ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 2, 2019 07:10

It is coming. Just keep healthy so that you will be able to ROCk and ROLL when it is there.

Bjornulf

Date: September 2, 2019 09:07

bv
It is coming. Just keep healthy so that you will be able to ROCk and ROLL when it is there.

>grinning smiley< smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...362363364365366367368369370371372...LastNext
Current Page: 367 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home