Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 3, 2017 21:10

georgelicks
There's no much leaked info, the Stones are a high profile band and their info is very hard to get, only people up on Universal is informed and, sometimes, some of this info is leaked to lower levels.

I'm told that key people at Universal (not more than 8-10 guys) hold a meeting about 10-15 days ago on New York with some band member (Mick we can suppose), they talked about the album and rough mixes of more than a dozen of new songs were played there.

There's not more than that, rumors vary from half classic Stones, half experimental stuff, some unexpected rhytm styles, assorted styles.

The album is not even finished or mixed, remaining overdubs needed to complete it.

Last year, B&L was ready to go by late April/early May, overdubed and mixed, yet it was released almost 9 months later, Mick even wanted to release it together with the new album, so as we see he has no rush at all, if he's ready to wait 15-20 months to release an album of covers, then he will not lose any sleep if this new album is released in May-June 2018.

Thanks for the news! Think I may have found the pic of the meeting online

Wonder if he played them the 45' version of "Jah is not dead" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 21:11 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 3, 2017 21:35

Keith's comment would have been appropriate in that meeting: "It's time for the suits to do the dirty work"!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 4, 2017 01:45

georgelicks
Hairball
georgelicks
Hairball
KRiffhard

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

Quite different than what georgelicks said just last week:

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

So when you originally said the Universal people thought some of the songs "lacked focus" and were "uneven",
they were really just saying that along with some classic great sounding Stones songs, there's some "weird beats", "rare stuff", and "experimental songs"?
Or is the latter something new they came up with since saying that some of the new work "lacked focus" and was "uneven"?
Whatever the case, sounds a bit more optimistic what you've posted now compared to what you posted last week.

And since things seem fluid, have the chances for the album to be released this year changed from 70/30 as you posted June 23?

There's no much leaked info, the Stones are a high profile band and their info is very hard to get, only people up on Universal is informed and, sometimes, some of this info is leaked to lower levels.

I'm told that key people at Universal (not more than 8-10 guys) hold a meeting about 10-15 days ago on New York with some band member (Mick we can suppose), they talked about the album and rough mixes of more than a dozen of new songs were played there.

There's not more than that, rumors vary from half classic Stones, half experimental stuff, some unexpected rhytm styles, assorted styles.

The album is not even finished or mixed, remaining overdubs needed to complete it.

Last year, B&L was ready to go by late April/early May, overdubed and mixed, yet it was released almost 9 months later, Mick even wanted to release it together with the new album, so as we see he has no rush at all, if he's ready to wait 15-20 months to release an album of covers, then he will not lose any sleep if this new album is released in May-June 2018.

aint trying to be a jrk .. or call you a fibbing person but are you certain the person you know is always so on the level about things?

Again .. aint trying to be jerky but a week prior to this you told us the execs at Universal were not happy with the album and they mentioned it was uneven etc. etc... When the news story broke they in fact were thrilled with the results you're claiming the execs are now happy and so much that they want to put it out this Christmas (before The Stones even want to .. .. ...?).

Jus sayin ..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2017 02:00

georgelicks
Hairball
georgelicks
Hairball
KRiffhard

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

Quite different than what georgelicks said just last week:

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

So when you originally said the Universal people thought some of the songs "lacked focus" and were "uneven",
they were really just saying that along with some classic great sounding Stones songs, there's some "weird beats", "rare stuff", and "experimental songs"?
Or is the latter something new they came up with since saying that some of the new work "lacked focus" and was "uneven"?
Whatever the case, sounds a bit more optimistic what you've posted now compared to what you posted last week.

And since things seem fluid, have the chances for the album to be released this year changed from 70/30 as you posted June 23?

Thanks for your info GeorgeLicks!! always great to hear something from you. keep up the good work, its appreciated.
Jeroen

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 4, 2017 03:24

IanBillen
Again .. aint trying to be jerky but a week prior to this you told us the execs at Universal were not happy with the album and they mentioned it was uneven etc. etc... When the news story broke they in fact were thrilled with the results you're claiming the execs are now happy and so much that they want to put it out this Christmas (before The Stones even want to .. .. ...?).

Jus sayin ..

I didn't say that people at the label was happy or unhappy about the results, reactions were varied, some people was expecting a classic roots album as B&L or ABB, but the material is varied on styles, much more on the B2B type stuff with classic and modern stuff.

The label will always be interested on a late November or early December release of course, best month for album sales and old acts are very benefited during this period.

But if the Stones are ready to hold the album until next year for promotional purposes, then no one can make much about it.

Date: July 4, 2017 04:19

georgelicks
IanBillen

Jus sayin ..

I didn't say that people at the label was happy or unhappy about the results, reactions were varied, some people was expecting a classic roots album as B&L or ABB, but the material is varied on styles, much more on the B2B type stuff with classic and modern stuff.

The label will always be interested on a late November or early December release of course, best month for album sales and old acts are very benefited during this period.

But if the Stones are ready to hold the album until next year for promotional purposes, then no one can make much about it.

Understood .. Makes more sense now. The Stones hanging onto this album with the attitude they have is like they are still 25 or something .. I mean geez.. Wish They would put it out before they get too old or some type of health related thing comes up with one of them (sounds bad I know but still just sayin)... I mean .. in my eyes .. that is only a matter of time .. yeeesh.

You mentioned people at Universal were surprised ... Did you get the vibe the material was surprising good .. surprising bad.. and did they act like it had 'something' .. In other words did it have some potential rather than just lame attempts to be different?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 4, 2017 06:09

Aren't these descriptions, impressions and suggestions pretty much standard fare, well generally speaking, for an overwhelming number of their LPs?
For example: half the songs will sound 'stonesy' oriented as we've come to expect; well that only leaves 6 or so songs give or take. (hopefully, i do not like when these LPs are really like 1 1/2 LPs like VL personally; I think it would have been a much more crisp, even really pretty excellent project if it had been tightened up by dropping at least 3 or 4)
...so of that half an album left in our exercise here, well sure there has always been something straying from general formual per se...going back to RT which was very unlike Let's Spend The Night Together...we could do something similar w most any and every album I think. There are stylistic departures of wide experimentation all through Buttons, and many of their records. 'mixing classic w modern' 'varied styles' could almost be a general description of what they do.

I appreciate the heads-up; this is just an impression not a critique of someone trying to fill in informational blanks; obviously not claiming to be a top exec, in on the listening meeting, if one indeed took place, and hey, i hope one did.
On the other hand who are the execs, generally; old record company dogs like Clives apprentices generation executive in their 60's....cats like Was who have had some hits and also business acumen? Was Was there? Do producers go to those meeting w an album in process? What about Rolling Stones Records that started with BS; don't they know what they want to do, and are doing?
Do a bunch of young mid or old offie jockeys, uber hep i'm sure, get to weigh in what songs the record company will accept and promote? OR is Mick giving them courtesy so that the various publicity departments (record companys and the many peeps in RS organization as well; there will be street teams and massive coordination like b&l or any push-project) ...

Respectfully, gratefully even for the report, it's not very much in the way of anything other than more guesswork and intrigue for peeps crazy enough to be hoping every day to hear something...miserable lost people like myself hahahha...
it's coming soon; something will be out very soon and it will be coordinated with the tour somewhat; even tho it's just a handful of shows...
...that's my call 30 pages ago; i also predict that Mick will be singing songs on this album; some of them will sort of be like rock songs that The Rolling Stones do; and some will be grand surprises like when they went disco or faux-punk or grand sweeping pop balladry or psychedelic dynamic or country blues or chicago blues or old rock covers or r&b covers like Shuffle and a million of their cover songs...micks already gone school girl pop like the popping pop poppers of the day he take pix with; and did it as far back as his first solo record...so i'm hoping for speed metal myself.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2017 06:19

After hitting the wall, butting heads, starting over, throwing in the towel, butting heads again, and finally throwing their hands in the air saying "here it is", only then will we have a new Stones album.
By my calculations they're right on schedule for an early 2018 release, and the Universal executives are quite pleased with the progress up to this point in time, even if it "lacks focus" and is "uneven".

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 07:19

DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
After 1997, I don't think Chuck would dare saying anything remotely negative about the Stones again.
What happened in 1997?

He gave an interview where he claimed to be the Stones's musical director etc. When they recorded B2B he wasn't invited.

"musical director" is for the live shows. It has absolutely nothing to do with recoding albums.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 07:23

Hairball
After hitting the wall, butting heads, starting over, throwing in the towel, butting heads again, and finally throwing their hands in the air saying "here it is", only then will we have a new Stones album.
By my calculations they're right on schedule for an early 2018 release, and the Universal executives are quite pleased with the progress up to this point in time, even if it "lacks focus" and is "uneven".

I think this makes as much sense as anything else ... and i think we can now add "England's Newest Head-Butters" to the list of proposed titles for the supposed album.

By the way, as a result of the Blue & Lonesome experience, Mick is clearly aware of the commercial benefits of a holiday release. If the record were anywhere close to being "in the can," doesn't it seem there would be a full-court press on to attempt to duplicate the schedule that had been so successful last time around?

Date: July 4, 2017 09:07

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
After 1997, I don't think Chuck would dare saying anything remotely negative about the Stones again.
What happened in 1997?

He gave an interview where he claimed to be the Stones's musical director etc. When they recorded B2B he wasn't invited.

"musical director" is for the live shows. It has absolutely nothing to do with recoding albums.

I know, but after stating it he was not invited to record (for the first time).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 4, 2017 09:39

Mick Jagger Plans To Tour Again; New Stones Album Ready (June 22, 1968)
[www.rollingstone.com]
By Bob Dawbarn

"...Mick yawned. "I'm tired, and we are recording again tonight. The rate we are going we are finishing two things a night – or almost finishing them. We don't like scrapping things when they are half done. We try and finish everything and then sort out the best tracks at the end. The B side of the single, 'Child Of The Moon,' we did with country piano and acoustic guitar. I rather liked it, but Keith didn't dig it. We did it another way, all more electric, and I must admit it turned out better. This is the point about being a co-operative group – you have to be, you can't do it any other way. It's just a case of understanding each other. You know what they all dig before you start working on it..."

[img.wennermedia.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2017 10:00

The new Stones studio album is way too important to care about minor commercial interests like holiday season or a random tour leg. For this album I am pretty sure the following have been the rule set, I am not sure about the order of the rules though:

1. The material should be significant
2. It should NOT be just another Stones album to back a tour
3. Mick & Keith will have to agree on the material and mixing
4. The entire band should love it
5. The release should be significant

This tour has been on for five - 5 years as they finish of the shows in mainland Europe this fall. Then they are working on the homecoming tour of 2018. What could be more significant than releasing the new album while they tour UK, where it all started?

Fifty-five and counting. Their very first album was called "The Rolling Stones". I am asking myself if "No Filter" is a significant album title, for an album that might be their last one. I am sure they are asking themselves the same question. Also, I am sure this is not just a question of commericial success. We are talking about a new Stones album - an album we are all going to talk about for years. They know it. The pressure is on the band, and I am sure they will handle it in a brilliant way.

Bjornulf

Date: July 4, 2017 10:08

Sounds like it's a combination of a last hurrrah and a Hail Mary...

Hoping for the best!thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 4, 2017 10:22

This is great news BV, it's quite an emotional thing when I think about it. Enjoy the upcoming tour, it's going to be good and hopefully more album info will get announced.

smileys with beer

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 10:34

Maindefender
This is great news BV, it's quite an emotional thing when I think about it. Enjoy the upcoming tour, it's going to be good and hopefully more album info will get announced.

smileys with beer

What "news"?

Rod

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 4, 2017 10:48

bitusa2012
Maindefender

smileys with beer

What "news"?

You must have missed it, read the whole thread and get back to us...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 4, 2017 11:58

Ok for what its worth this is my prediction.

Stones will release the new album in late November / December for the Christmas market. You heard it here first.

Yes i'm guessing but, i'm a good guesser winking smiley
We will get a couple of singles with good video's that will precede the album, one of which they will play on the next leg of the tour.smiling smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 4, 2017 12:06

bv
The new Stones studio album is way too important to care about minor commercial interests like holiday season or a random tour leg. For this album I am pretty sure the following have been the rule set, I am not sure about the order of the rules though:

1. The material should be significant
2. It should NOT be just another Stones album to back a tour
3. Mick & Keith will have to agree on the material and mixing
4. The entire band should love it
5. The release should be significant

This tour has been on for five - 5 years as they finish of the shows in mainland Europe this fall. Then they are working on the homecoming tour of 2018. What could be more significant than releasing the new album while they tour UK, where it all started?

Fifty-five and counting. Their very first album was called "The Rolling Stones". I am asking myself if "No Filter" is a significant album title, for an album that might be their last one. I am sure they are asking themselves the same question. Also, I am sure this is not just a question of commericial success. We are talking about a new Stones album - an album we are all going to talk about for years. They know it. The pressure is on the band, and I am sure they will handle it in a brilliant way.

Sounds great - and so does the report from georgelicks.

Date: July 4, 2017 12:21

Maindefender
bitusa2012
Maindefender

smileys with beer

What "news"?

You must have missed it, read the whole thread and get back to us...>grinning smiley<

I "know" there's a new album being developed. But what "news' was in BV's last post. I must have missed THAT. A lot of, no doubt, sound opinion. But "news"?

Rod

Date: July 4, 2017 20:52

The news are the fact that they probably delay the release of the new studio album until next summer, rather than rush releasing it for the No Filter tour.

I will much rather have a new live album from the fall tour (Paris?) by the end of the year, and the new album by next summer, with shows in London and elswere in UK.

Some seem to think this is a fixed process decided upon and signed off long time ago. It is not. The band and their works are a dynamic process where creative and commercial interests merge into a plan, then revised, then new plans, and in the end, we see the new album. It is not like the 70's, where we got an album every year. These guys are living persons and their plans change as their individual matters change.

Bjornulf

Date: July 4, 2017 20:58

By the way I have noticed a certain troll factor in this thread. Rather than trolling around bugging people who try their best at supplying insight and opinion, I would advise anyone not in the mood to find another place for trolling around. Bully talk may be the standard some places in the world, but here on IORR we do show each other respect. We are not on a four year term here. The Rolling Stones will last forever! Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 4, 2017 23:11

bv
here on IORR we do show each other respect

Quite right, and thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 5, 2017 01:53

I agree bashlets

Date: July 5, 2017 05:26

bv
The news are the fact that they probably delay the release of the new studio album until next summer, rather than rush releasing it for the No Filter tour.

I will much rather have a new live album from the fall tour (Paris?) by the end of the year, and the new album by next summer, with shows in London and elswere in UK.

Some seem to think this is a fixed process decided upon and signed off long time ago. It is not. The band and their works are a dynamic process where creative and commercial interests merge into a plan, then revised, then new plans, and in the end, we see the new album. It is not like the 70's, where we got an album every year. These guys are living persons and their plans change as their individual matters change.

I am sorry BV, I still don't understand the 'news' as you posted. THE news that the new album is/was/maybe delayed til 2018 was posted a few pages back, and days before, from your post.

I am not trying to troll or be a 'bully'(?), I simply didn't and don't understand someone replying to your post about news as though it was...news.

I followed up by saying you have, no doubt, sound opinion, as you are after all much more wired into and tapped into The Stones real world than I. And I appreciate your insights and opinions. I must be thick though, as I am sorry, I still don't get the 'news' factor to your post. Sorry mate

Rod

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 5, 2017 05:35

I'd like to see a new album supported by a tour, in the sense that they play 5 or 6 of the new tunes ... don't worry, guys, I know it's wishful thinking :laugh:

Date: July 5, 2017 06:18

doitywoik
I'd like to see a new album supported by a tour, in the sense that they play 5 or 6 of the new tunes ... don't worry, guys, I know it's wishful thinking :laugh:

Bridges to Babylon was a type of colder sounding, solitary / lonely, almost gloomy album over all.

I hope this one has a different vibe.. and does not stretch as far but remains forward thinking ..innovative.. cool. Taking chances is good.. but still ya gotta have some great 'classic' Stones in there.

Perhaps this is the vibe they are going for. Seems they want to get this one damn good and just perfect. As BV said.. it cant just be another great sounding Stones album. It must carry weight.. it gotta be 'significant'. I think they know it.

Date: July 5, 2017 06:30

bitusa2012
bv

I am sorry BV, I still don't understand the 'news' as you posted. THE news that the new album is/was/maybe delayed til 2018 was posted a few pages back, and days before, from your post.

I am not trying to troll or be a 'bully'(?), I simply didn't and don't understand someone replying to your post about news as though it was...news.

I followed up by saying you have, no doubt, sound opinion, as you are after all much more wired into and tapped into The Stones real world than I. And I appreciate your insights and opinions. I must be thick though, as I am sorry, I still don't get the 'news' factor to your post. Sorry mate

I agree with you. I saw no new actual "news".

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: July 5, 2017 06:38

From "Gigwise"

The Rolling Stones are reportedly at work on a new album, which could be released to coincide with the end of their upcoming European tour.

According the Mail Online, the veteran rockers have been spotted hanging around recording studios in London and New York, and their label, Universal, has renewed their contract for one more album.But before all that, the band will release yet another live album – this one being a compilation - in time for Christmas.

Another “industry insider” is quoted as saying: “Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than give up their great love – writing and making music. They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled.”

He or she added: “Age is no barrier to brilliant music, and there is no doubt the new stuff will sell.”

Date: July 5, 2017 07:30

Paulhanrahan
From "Gigwise"

The Rolling Stones are reportedly at work on a new album, which could be released to coincide with the end of their upcoming European tour.

According the Mail Online, the veteran rockers have been spotted hanging around recording studios in London and New York, and their label, Universal, has renewed their contract for one more album.But before all that, the band will release yet another live album – this one being a compilation - in time for Christmas.

Another “industry insider” is quoted as saying: “Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than give up their great love – writing and making music. They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled.”

He or she added: “Age is no barrier to brilliant music, and there is no doubt the new stuff will sell.”

This doesn't make any sense.

"...a new album, which could be released to coincide with the end of their upcoming European tour"

As of right now, European dates are from Sept. 29 - Oct 22.

"But before all that, the band will release yet another live album – this one being a compilation - in time for Christmas".

Last I checked Christmas is December 25.

So how can there possibly be a new album to coincide with the European tour if a live compilation album is due out first in time for Christmas?

Maybe the new album will coincide with the rumoured British tour in 2018?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home