Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: In praise of Love You Live
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 30, 2016 16:58

I'm a fan of the Guitar sounds from Live in Texas.

The sound of the guitars on any given tour is maybe a subject in itself...waiting for somebody to start a thread winking smiley

I think a lot of folks like the LYL guitar sounds becuse they're "fatter" and more "Rock" than some others. To me they just sound more processed and less alive .

Still like the album though.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 1, 2016 16:14

My favourite Keith live sounds:
Open G Tuning
Zemaitis LP on LYL
Telecaster (probably Micawber) on LYL (ADTL on Totally Stripped comes close)
Standard Tuning
Gibson LP Custom with P90 pickups (Midnight Rambler on Brüssel Affairs)
Gibson LP Junior on Totally Stripped (especially Connection from Olympia and all IAON/LWM/GS from Paradiso)
Music Man Silhouette on Atlantic City 1989
Telecaster Custom on LYL (especially Star Star & You Gotta Move)
(his sound on Hampton 1981 & Leeds 1982 ain´t bad either)
Dan Armstrong on GYYYO (especially Live With Me/Little Queenie and Midnight Rambler)

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 1, 2016 16:16

DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
IMHO the best sounding live recording by the Stones, especially guitar-wise.
Only Totally Stripped comes close.

What about Some Girls Live In Texas?

SGLIT is one hell of a show from one hell of a band. But for me Keith´s Telecaster sound could be "fatter".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 1, 2016 16:43

Weren't the tracks Jagger played from THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY just those songs from LOVE YOU LIVE in his movie RUNNING OUT OF LUCK? That was some contractual spinning there...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 1, 2016 21:34

tomcat2006
I know this album gets a lot of stick...

But - aside from the generally admired El Mocambo side - I do have to say that it's got probably my favourite version of It's Only R&R.

I find this song can often be a bit boring but this version really rocks.

Punchy versions of Brown Sugar and JJF too.

Like it? Yes I do!

this album is a killer-when i came on the internet and saw people talking about how they didn't like it i was confused.."these people like the stones ,but they don't like love you live? just odd..

the band were smoking in 75/76 everything they did kicked ass,from the blues/funk/ reggae of black and blue to the el macombo to the paris shows they were playing their asses off.i don't know how it looks on you tube videos a few decades later but i was there-they were good,really good and love you captures it very well.

my favorite was"i don't like how mick was singing on this tour"-i've seen that one alot,my thought was "what the fck are you talking about"-you don't like how micks singing?

next to ya ya's the best live album they ever did,thanks for bringing it up.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 1, 2016 21:54

lem motlow
tomcat2006
I know this album gets a lot of stick...

But - aside from the generally admired El Mocambo side - I do have to say that it's got probably my favourite version of It's Only R&R.

I find this song can often be a bit boring but this version really rocks.

Punchy versions of Brown Sugar and JJF too.

Like it? Yes I do!

this album is a killer-when i came on the internet and saw people talking about how they didn't like it i was confused.."these people like the stones ,but they don't like love you live? just odd..

the band were smoking in 75/76 everything they did kicked ass,from the blues/funk/ reggae of black and blue to the el macombo to the paris shows they were playing their asses off.i don't know how it looks on you tube videos a few decades later but i was there-they were good,really good and love you captures it very well.

my favorite was"i don't like how mick was singing on this tour"-i've seen that one alot,my thought was "what the fck are you talking about"-you don't like how micks singing?

next to ya ya's the best live album they ever did,thanks for bringing it up.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 22:00 by z.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: December 1, 2016 23:36

Love You Live is my favourite Stones live album.
And even one of my favourite albums.
Great sound, Mick is fantastic and Ronnie is on fire. Love Billy on it.

I find the later stadium-live-albums sterile.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 16, 2016 08:01

Yeah, I get what you're saying.
The only thing that bothers me about LYL, other than the terrible version of "JJF" (the pauses ruin my favorite Stones song), is that they didn't use the LA Friday versions of "Tumbling Dice," "Sympathy," "Fingerprint File," and "IYCRM/GOOMC."

But when this album is on, it's on fire. Best version ever of "IORR," and killer performances of "Star Star" and "Brown Sugar."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 19:07 by stevecardi.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 16, 2016 11:00

lem motlow

the band were smoking in 75/76 everything they did kicked ass,from the blues/funk/ reggae of black and blue to the el macombo to the paris shows they were playing their asses off.

Like Stevecardi says above it's puzzling to think they had 24-tracks recordings of briilaint 75 shows yet they relied heavily on the 1976 shows to build LYL.

And they were pretty unlucky with recording the 1976 shows. They picked London and Paris to make 24-tracks recordings : these cities did not get the best shows of the the tour and that's an understatement...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 16, 2016 20:45

I dig LYL. Not all of it, but most of it.I agree the version of JJF isn't the best. Too fast and I don't like how Mick phrases the chorus instead of singing it. As for the 75 stuff. Boy I have LA and its a great set list but Jagger is not on that performance. He is disjointed, off time, key, and misses a lot of his vocal cues. LYL is better. And of course the legendary El Macombo side is luxurious. I do wish they would release that entire album!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 16, 2016 22:25

Yeah, not much to discuss here. Love You Live is great. Most particular the El Mocambo side, but still the rest is great too.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 16, 2016 22:52

As a Stones fan I loved the boots from 75/76. Just never warmed up to LYL.

I was 16 when it came and waited for months for it. It just left me a little flat. Not sure why. As a Stones live freak I have always felt guilty I didn't love it.

To this day I am lukewarm on LYL (other than the El Macombo part)

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 17:00

lem motlow

...this album is a killer-when i came on the internet and saw people talking about how they didn't like it i was confused.."these people like the stones ,but they don't like love you live? just odd..

In '75' we' had been listening to Ya-Ya's for five years virtually non-stop. That's why 'we' didn't like LYL when it came out at the time. Sides 1 & 2 were generally dismissed by the public and many Stones fans. No-one played it at a party like Ya-Ya's. Side 3 was great. Side 4 started off great with that wicked version of IORR but the rest....was pretty much unlistenable....

Date: December 17, 2016 20:32

I listened to LA FRIDAY recently... it is awful. It makes LOVE YOU LIVE look genius - thanks partially to the editing and Mick overdubbing his horrendous live vocals. His absolute worst tour "singing" ever.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 17, 2016 20:57

I listen to LYL so many times when it came out and I still do less frequently nowadays. The El Mocambo side is pure gold; Keith's guitar sound and playing is just the best. It is a shame they didn't film it. I have the audio bootleg somewhere.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 17, 2016 23:14

GasLightStreet
I listened to LA FRIDAY recently... it is awful. It makes LOVE YOU LIVE look genius - thanks partially to the editing and Mick overdubbing his horrendous live vocals. His absolute worst tour "singing" ever.

????? L.A. Friday is pure magic, the best Stones-Live-album ever. To have this recording officially released is a dream come true. Can´t imagine a better Stones-live-album. It beats even Shine A Light.

L.A. Friday is the absolute highlight in the "From The Vaults"-series.
Sleazy, mean, dangerous Stones. I love LYL, but L.A. Friday is much much better.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2016 02:03

rollmops
I listen to LYL so many times when it came out and I still do less frequently nowadays. The El Mocambo side is pure gold; Keith's guitar sound and playing is just the best. It is a shame they didn't film it. I have the audio bootleg somewhere.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Shame? It's a crime. One of the biggest in music history. I'd give my right leg for a mocambo film. Why the fxxx didnt they film it???

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 18, 2016 02:38

Yeah I have the Mocambo boot too. It is great but I wish they would just release the entire show! Both shows! They recorded it all for the album. I wouldn't be surprised if there was film of it in their personal collections. . . one can hope. . .

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 18, 2016 03:15

HMS

????? L.A. Friday is pure magic, the best Stones-Live-album ever. To have this recording officially released is a dream come true. Can´t imagine a better Stones-live-album. It beats even Shine A Light.

Sleazy, mean, dangerous Stones. I love LYL, but L.A. Friday is much much better.

Indeed, LA Friday is a great showcase of a hot band firing on all cylinders. They were young, wild, hot and dangerous....Great stuff! I, also among others am not a huge fan of Mick's 75-76 vocal phase but the band is so hot, musically that the vocalist can be easily forgiven.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 18, 2016 03:58

palerider22

...this album is a killer-when i came on the internet and saw people talking about how they didn't like it i was confused.."these people like the stones ,but they don't like love you live? just odd..

In '75' we' had been listening to Ya-Ya's for five years virtually non-stop. That's why 'we' didn't like LYL when it came out at the time. Sides 1 & 2 were generally dismissed by the public and many Stones fans. No-one played it at a party like Ya-Ya's. Side 3 was great. Side 4 started off great with that wicked version of IORR but the rest....was pretty much unlistenable....

My sentiments exactly. Ya-ya's was still the standard bearer and we found LYL didn't meet that album. Over the years I've come to enjoy most of LYL. Side 3 always had our appreciation.

Date: December 18, 2016 22:02

The Kook Strikes Again!

HMS
GasLightStreet
????? L.A. Friday is pure magic, the best Stones-Live-album ever.

So Mick's excuse for singing is what makes LA FRIDAY pure magic? That makes sense coming from you. Best Stones live album ever - no, somehow when it comes to quality you're deaf. It is a step above their worst live album ever, however.

HMS
To have this recording officially released is a dream come true.

Maybe in terms of entertainment from laughing at Mick's grunting and laying on the couch phoning it in on most of the songs. Although hearing the band play pretty good is probably worth it.

HMS
Can´t imagine a better Stones-live-album. It beats even Shine A Light.

Seeing that SHINE A LIGHT is their worst live album ever, you're right - it does beat it.

HMS

Absolute, no, but it is more so of a highlight than the pointless LIGHT THE FUSE.

Date: December 18, 2016 22:31

Maindefender
palerider22

My sentiments exactly. Ya-ya's was still the standard bearer and we found LYL didn't meet that album. Over the years I've come to enjoy most of LYL. Side 3 always had our appreciation.

I was also somewhat let down that Love You Live didn't have the same dark magic as Ya Ya's but I still enjoyed it immensely. I accepted that it showcased a new and different incarnation of the Stones and it was very good. I must restate something I've said before though - the only problem I really have is the El Macambo side. Don't get me wrong; side three is brilliant but it's got a totally different sound and feel from sides 1,2 & 4 and disrupts the continuity and flow of the album. El Macambo should have had it's own separate release and Love You Live should have stuck to presenting material from the arena shows from 75-76.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-18 22:43 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: December 18, 2016 22:49

The Mocambo side should've been side 4. That would make a bit more sense.

Date: December 18, 2016 22:52

I just did that on the Windows Media Player. It is a lot better!

Date: December 18, 2016 23:58

GasLightStreet
[...]the pointless LIGHT THE FUSE.

Light The Fuse is a very underrated album and gets rarely mentioned at all. That´s very sad because it is a very good latter-day-live-album. Maybe it isn´t honoured as it deserves because there´s so much officially released material from that period (Bigger-Bang-DVDs, glorious SAL...) and because we haven´t got any physical version of it.

Nevertheless, Light A Fuse is very rewarding, I loved it from the start and I am still listening to it regularly with a huge, almost immense amount of enjoyment.
Some rarities and great cover-versions makes it a very welcome addition to SAL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-19 00:15 by HMS.

Date: December 19, 2016 00:25

HMS
GasLightStreet

Light The Fuse is a very underrated album and gets rarely mentioned at all. That´s very sad because it is a very good latter-day-live-album. Maybe it isn´t honoured as it deserves because there´s so much officially released material from that period (Bigger-Bang-DVDs, glorious SAL...) and because we haven´t got any physical version of it.

Nevertheless, Light A Fuse is very rewarding, I loved it from the start and I am still listening to it regularly with a huge, almost immense amount of enjoyment.

I also enjoy most of LTF up to a point. It's kind of weird but there's a point in the performance where the band just seems to run out of steam. The last few songs sound tired.

Date: December 19, 2016 16:13

HMS
GasLightStreet

It's not entertaining like LA FRIDAY or LOVE YOU LIVE are in terms of how bad the Stones sound; LIGHT THE FUSE is equivalent to SHINE A LIGHT serious serious awful bad, as in, what the hell are they doing.

It makes sense that you'd like something that's awful.

Date: December 19, 2016 16:17

Sounds pretty good to me

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 19, 2016 16:24

Too bad they didn't sound that good on the tour!

Date: December 19, 2016 17:34

GasLightStreet
Too bad they didn't sound that good on the tour!

For the most part they did, IMO. I´ve no reason to complain.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home