Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Robert Vaughn - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 11, 2016 22:35

Please stop now. Really. RIP Robert Vaughn.

[www.theguardian.com]

Actor Robert Vaughn, star of the 1960s US TV spy series The Man from UNCLE, died on Friday at the age of 83 after a short battle with cancer.

He appeared in the silver screen classic The Magnificent Seven and on the long-running British television soap opera Coronation Street, but was best known as the suave secret agent in The Man from UNCLE, in what many regarded as TV’s answer to James Bond.

Robert Vaughn obituary

Vaughn’s death was announced by his manager, Matthew Sullivan, on Friday. “Mr Vaughn passed away with his family around him,” Sullivan said in a report on Friday afternoon.

The Oscar-nominated actor is survived by his wife, Linda, son Cassidy and daughter Caitlin. The actor had suffered a brief illness after a diagnosis of acute leukemia.

The Man from UNCLE, which stood for United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, was a popular NBC TV series that ran from 1964 to 1968, with Vaughn starring as the character Napoleon Solo.

Earlier he had had a role in The Young Philadelphians, a 1959 film, for which he was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe for best supporting actor.

The following year he played a gunman in the epic 1960 feature film The Magnificent Seven. He appeared in The Towering Inferno in 1974, Superman III in 1983 and many other films.

Vaughn also performed on stage, including a 1955 production of The Pilgrimage Play in Hollywood, later taking roles in Tom Stoppard’s The Real Inspector Hound and, more recently, Twelve Angry Men at the UK’s Birmingham Repertory Theatre in 2013, continuing with the production when it transferred to the Garrick Theatre in London’s West End.

He was born in New York but early on pursued his acting career in Los Angeles.

Of all his roles, he was best known for his turn as the smooth spy in the Man From UNCLE, in the cold war era when suave, cool espionage yarns in popular literature and on screens both large and small were all the rage.

On the small screen he was also well known for his appearances on classic programs that included Gunsmoke, Father Knows Best, Wagon Train, The Rifleman and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Tributes from across Hollywood have already started to pour in on Twitter, from Edgar Wright to Roger Moore.

Sir Roger Moore ? @sirrogermoore
Sorry to hear the news about Robert Vaughn.
6:43 PM - 11 Nov 2016

Stephen Fry ? @stephenfry
Oh no. Robert Vaughn, such a fine actor, one of the best Columbo villains (no higher praise than that) & an utterly charming man, has died.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-12 01:08 by Silver Dagger.

Re: RIP Robert Vaughan - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Date: November 11, 2016 22:39

Great opening sequence. When I was growing up this series was the boom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-11 22:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 11, 2016 23:12

Love and light to him.

Date: November 11, 2016 23:31

with sssoul
Love and light to him.

Which one did you like better with sssoul? Napoleon or Illya?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 11, 2016 23:34

My older brother turned me on to The Man From UNCLE even before he turned me on to The Rolling Stones.

R.I.P. Robert Vaughn

Also remember he was a villain in a Columbo episode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-12 01:09 by schillid.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 12, 2016 00:11

Wasn't he a villain in two different Columbo episodes? In one, he killed his mistress on a cruise ship, and tried to frame Dean Stockwell. There was a different episode where he was describing the different parts of a sail boat to Columbo, but it was a different episode, and I can't remember if he was the killer.

He was very suave as Napoleon Solo. He was the last surviving actor of "The Magnificent Seven," as well.

Re: RIP Robert Vaughn - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 12, 2016 00:19

Vaughn, not Vaughan.

Always liked his appearances in Columbo.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 12, 2016 00:42

RIP Mr Vaughn sad smiley

2016.... the year it seemed these was a rush for the doors

Sad in this case, but thank you IORR for also keeping me informed on many things, including the passing of the greats. It seems the MSM only celebrates those who they feel share in their agenda, otherwise I might not hear of some these greats passing. sad smiley I appreciate the information.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2016 01:09

marianna
Wasn't he a villain in two different Columbo episodes? In one, he killed his mistress on a cruise ship, and tried to frame Dean Stockwell. There was a different episode where he was describing the different parts of a sail boat to Columbo, but it was a different episode, and I can't remember if he was the killer.

He was very suave as Napoleon Solo. He was the last surviving actor of "The Magnificent Seven," as well.

Yes he was the villain in the great Columbo episode with Dean Stockwell on a cruise ship.
In the other episode you're referring to, he is also the villain who kills his father-in-law who owns a ship building company.

RIP Robert Vaughn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-12 01:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 12, 2016 01:15

RIP Mr. Solo....1 of my favorite 60's tv shows...even read a few of the books...

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: November 12, 2016 03:20

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 12, 2016 03:24

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 12, 2016 03:50

DREAMTIME

I used to have this.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 12, 2016 05:07

I recently watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E, even the dreaded third season, and enjoyed most of it. Now seeing his passing makes me wish he and David McCallum would have had cameos in the new movie. One role of Vaughns that hasn't been mentioned is Bullit, where he played opposite Steve McQueen. I think this might have been one of his first roles post Man from U.N.C.L.E where he played a police commissioner of San Francisco.
Sorry to see you go Napoleon.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 12, 2016 11:03

I loved The man from U.N.C.L.E. as a youngster, and have recently been enjoying the re-run of the movies on TV.... Great memories.
R.I.P. Robert Vaughn

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 12, 2016 15:17

It was fun watching The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as a teenager - RIP Robert Vaughn

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2016 15:25

HankM
RIP Mr Vaughn sad smiley

2016.... the year it seemed these was a rush for the doors

Sad in this case, but thank you IORR for also keeping me informed on many things, including the passing of the greats. It seems the MSM only celebrates those who they feel share in their agenda, otherwise I might not hear of some these greats passing. sad smiley I appreciate the information.
With what happened this past week, I don't blame people for rushing for the door.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: November 12, 2016 17:50

He was also in Baseketball, married to dimwit (both in film and life) Jennie McCarthy. RIP and say hi to Mr. Waverly

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 12, 2016 20:43

He was in Hustle over here in the UK. He was brilliant as a scammer.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 13, 2016 01:07

God bless you Robert you were a very talent actor.

Date: November 13, 2016 10:52

The man from U.N.C.L.E. takes me right back to my childhood. Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin were two cool cats. Farewell and RIP Robert.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2016 11:04

It's fo funny when I see Mark Harmon jokes about Illya Kuryakin on NCIS.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 14, 2016 00:57

[iorr.org]

Maybe His Majesty will come along to refresh/repost the missing photos,
but there's the thread where it was definitively established that the triangular thingie
that Keith had on his black Les Paul peghead in lots of 66-67 shots was an UNCLE badge.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 14, 2016 04:55

He was the final star of The Magnificent Seven to ride off into the sunset.

He excelled at playing both the good and the bad guys.

Seeing him as McQueen's antagonist in Bullit was surprising, especially right on the heels of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. But boy, he was great in that.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 14, 2016 07:38

Hairball
marianna

Yes he was the villain in the great Columbo episode with Dean Stockwell on a cruise ship.
In the other episode you're referring to, he is also the villain who kills his father-in-law who owns a ship building company.

RIP Robert Vaughn.

Actually, he was not the villain in the 'other' episode (Last Salute to the Commodore). In fact, he himself was murdered midway through the episode. It's true that he dumped his father-in-law's corpse in the ocean, which I suppose qualifies as an act of villainy, but the true villain was 'Swanny.'Not one of my favorite Columbos since the director is clearly jerking the audience around but Vaughn was first-rate. (Pretty ballsy to kill off the star in the middle of the episode though.)

RIP Mr. Vaughn

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2016 09:13

Swayed1967
Hairball
marianna

RIP Robert Vaughn.

Actually, he was not the villain in the 'other' episode (Last Salute to the Commodore). In fact, he himself was murdered midway through the episode. It's true that he dumped his father-in-law's corpse in the ocean, which I suppose qualifies as an act of villainy, but the true villain was 'Swanny.'Not one of my favorite Columbos since the director is clearly jerking the audience around but Vaughn was first-rate. (Pretty ballsy to kill off the star in the middle of the episode though.)

RIP Mr. Vaughn

I stand corrected!

Cable channel MeTV airs Columbo episodes every Sunday evening (here in the US), and I thought for sure they would have aired one of those Robert Vaughn episodes tonight.
Instead they aired 'A Deadly State of Mind' from 1975 starring George Hamilton as psychiatrist/hypnotist who murders the husband of his mistress. Another classic!
I've seen every episode at least several times since they originally aired when I was a kid in the '70's, but like the Twilight Zone I can watch them all multiple times.
I even liked some of the latter day 'comeback' Columbo episodes from the late '80's/early '90's, although admittedly they were inferior to the originals.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 14, 2016 18:55

Deltics
DREAMTIME

I used to have this.

I had one of those too. Oldsmobile 88 if I recall . [Had the regular one too ]

RIP Robert.
The guy just ooozed charm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-14 19:03 by Spud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home