Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Tommy - The Who
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 8, 2016 12:04

stone66
It's not surprising that many find Who's Next to be their strongest album, given that it was cherry picked from a larger collection of songs that was to have been a double album rock opera (Lifehouse).

And that is exactly what The Stones should have been doing with Exile. Picking the real goodies and kicking off the clunkers. The result would have been equally as great as Who´s Next, maybe greater depending on which band you like the most.

Yesterday I listened to Face Dances, a real treat and one of The Who´s best, maybe even a tad better than It´s Hard, which is marvelous.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 8, 2016 12:45

hopkins
Who's Next might be their best album but it's like comparing diamonds to diamonds.
Depending on the angle and light one will shine brighter at times.
Tommy takes some commitment and time and for me it's living breathing powerfully unique; at the time the perfect culmination of all of Pete's bristling wit, deepest soul and guitar prowess.
There is nothing that really sounds like that one,before or after, it's it's own stylistic thing. The blues cover in the midst of it all is astonishingly perfect.
This is the almost the last of Roger's really pure voice.
Keith Moon is his own full orchestra and that's just the cymbals. ta boom.
I've seen them very many times before and after Tommy;
Several complete performances, one at the Metropolitan Opera House. All of them brutal, and perfect and in many ways quite beautiful to me.
To think Pete wrote AND produced this labor of love is astonishing.
Sure when I Can See For Miles or anything from The Who Sell Out then that one seems like their best album. ;-)
It's a real good album. A real step out. Moon and Ox here are stunning.
A great album. groundbreaking in it's vision and execution; I don't say it's the 'best' this or 'that' particularly;
I was a teenager when this was released so it has it's own special big place in my life and my own state of mind at the time,
trying to better understand iconography and stars, cults, leaders, abused children, they cycles of cultural rises and falls,
dictators, resistance, sensory amazement, violence, lost tribes of young seekers, teenage wasteland before he said teenage wasteland later on...
...handicapped children, sexual abuse, illusion, idealism and so on...

Then again The Kinks put out several and very many concept albums that are fluid, have an equally great
or more interesting narrative. just as good singing, but they are very different bands. Writing wise Ray stands there with Pete.
Lola Vs. Powerman & The Money Go Round is an album I like every bit as much as Tommy. So are several of Ray's things.

Great appraisal of Tommy there Mr hopkins. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Tommy stands alone in its uniqueness.
I think the concept of an opera put some people off. I remember the punks didn't like it back in the late 70s preferring the early singles and Quadrophenia.
But isolate the songs and you'll find some of The Who's most vibrant and heartfelt songs, and some of their best individual playing and singing.

Amazing Journey, for instance, is the song I'd play anyone wanting to hear why Keith Moon was such an incredible drummer. The moment when he comes in at the beginning, then completely changes the tempo before switching back for when Daltrey comes in with "Ten years old with thoughts as bold as thoughts can be" is simply staggering.
Sensation is another overlooked gem and I'm Free is an early indicator of the great riffs and rocks songs to come on Who's Next.

For me Tommy is not so much a story about a deaf, dumb and blind boy but rather a statement from Pete about rejecting the confines of simply being a (rather good) writer of pop songs and proving to the world that he could really widen his canvass and to great effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-08 12:49 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 8, 2016 13:43

HMS
stone66
It's not surprising that many find Who's Next to be their strongest album, given that it was cherry picked from a larger collection of songs that was to have been a double album rock opera (Lifehouse).

And that is exactly what The Stones should have been doing with Exile. Picking the real goodies and kicking off the clunkers. The result would have been equally as great as Who´s Next, maybe greater depending on which band you like the most.

Yesterday I listened to Face Dances, a real treat and one of The Who´s best, maybe even a tad better than It´s Hard, which is marvelous.

Those are The Who's Dirty Works! grinning smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 8, 2016 14:15

I have a sweet spot for Face Dances too. Probably has to do with my age at the time
it came out (about the same time as Tattoo You, so I must have been about 13 years old).
Still I can really enjoy many of the songs on Face Dances. No way comparable to Dirty Work.
I would rather compare it with whatever Genesis album from the 80s. It's basically a lot
of pop-music, with prominent keyboards and not that many guitars. That makes it very
different from Dirty Work.
But the song writing on Face Dances is enjoyable, it could just use some salt and pepper.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 8, 2016 14:22

marcovandereijk
I have a sweet spot for Face Dances too. Probably has to do with my age at the time
it came out (about the same time as Tattoo You, so I must have been about 13 years old).
Still I can really enjoy many of the songs on Face Dances. No way comparable to Dirty Work.
I would rather compare it with whatever Genesis album from the 80s. It's basically a lot
of pop-music, with prominent keyboards and not that many guitars. That makes it very
different from Dirty Work.
But the song writing on Face Dances is enjoyable, it could just use some salt and pepper.

Yes - it's an album I return to occasionally but one that lacks the sturm and drang of old. The bite and the menace has gone and like the Stones we see Pete making the fatal error of trying to compete with younger bands of the day in reaching a poppier sound. Another Tricky Day, Don't Get Go The Coat, and Cache Cache are pleasant enough but still somewhat lacking.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 8, 2016 15:15

"The Who Concert in 1969 in Amsterdam", boot sounds pretty good to me but my favourite album is: The Who Sell Out double vinyl.

Amsterdam was the first city chosen by The Who to play the full Rock Opera "Tommy", in 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-08 18:30 by runaway.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 9, 2016 02:57

DandelionPowderman
HMS
stone66

Those are The Who's Dirty Works! grinning smiley

Face Dances is their Dirty Work, and It's Hard is their Steel Wheels. Endless Wire is their Voodoo Lounge/Bridges to Babylon/A Bigger Bang, etc. Thirty Years of Maximum R&B is their Forty Licks and The Who Hits 50! is their GRRR!

Who Are You was their Some Girls, but unfortunately they never had a Tattoo You and so just went instead right on to their Dirty Work. It happens that way, with some bands.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2016 11:57

HMS
stone66

i think exile is as great. the only song i skip on that record is "turd on the run". not bad for a double record!

Date: November 9, 2016 12:23

runaway
"The Who Concert in 1969 in Amsterdam", boot sounds pretty good to me but my favourite album is: The Who Sell Out double vinyl.

Amsterdam was the first city chosen by The Who to play the full Rock Opera "Tommy", in 1969.

Amsterdam 69 is quite possibly the best gig The Who ever performed. They were mean and angry and it shows with a really aggressive set.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 9, 2016 12:32

Silver Dagger
runaway

Amsterdam 69 is quite possibly the best gig The Who ever performed. They were mean and angry and it shows with a really aggressive set.

I think you are possibly right about this Amsterdam 69 concert, I had to listen again last night to realize they were just amazing.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 9, 2016 14:12

I disagree that Face Dances was their Dirty Work. The writing and playing on Face Dances is fantastic. The production, like many of the 80s stuff is too slick for The Who, however, there are some fantastic songs. Don't Let Go the Coat, Another Tricky Day, You, The Quiet One. Some great stuff. It's Hard is also not bad. And a bit more raw. A Man is a Man is a great later day ballad harkening back to Who By Numbers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2016 19:48

Some of the music of Tommy is great, some not.

Ann-Margaret's cameltoe is the only highlight of the movie! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home