Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pre-Aftermath Stones
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 28, 2016 16:42

I just got the remainder of the officially released albums (the early ones) and have been going through them. Although I was familiar with lots of this stuff, there are some interesting songs I didn't know. Some derivative, some showing the greatness that lie ahead.

Your thoughts?

Re: Pre-Aftermath Stones
Date: October 28, 2016 16:46

Well, imo, they've barely topped Mona and Little Red Roosed later on, but I know what you mean smiling smiley

They sounded so dedicated and motivated in the early years - always hunting for the next exploration.

Lots of good stuff in there that I have enjoyed immensely through the new brilliant Stones In Mono-box thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:13

Lots of good stuff in there that I have enjoyed immensely through the new brilliant Stones In Mono-box

Yeah it's stunning to go back thru it all ... Satanic esp ... mono 2000 Man WOW!!

ROCKMAN

Date: October 28, 2016 17:17

Rockman
Lots of good stuff in there that I have enjoyed immensely through the new brilliant Stones In Mono-box

Yeah it's stunning to go back thru it all ... Satanic esp ... mono 2000 Man WOW!!

smileys with beer

Date: October 28, 2016 18:10

Yep, Mon a and Rooster are great.

Also Around and Around. I had only heard the LYL version - which I also love (should have been a single in 1977 to answer the punks!).

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:30

I grabbed the Mono box, so I have been playing the old stuff a lot. The mono sounds great, so much better than my old "re-processed for stereo" vinyls! Many thrills hearing that old stuff again, and it has never sounded better!

Hearing the old blues material has me even more jazzed about the new Blue & Lonesome album. Dec. 2 just can't seem to get here fast enough!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:40

The first album from the mono box is outstanding. I was only 4 at the time so these are quite revealing...........I started backwards on the mono box(had to sneak in the first album though) and am now at Aftermath. Going' Home is pretty sick in a good way!!

Date: November 2, 2016 01:49

Damn, 7 responses.

Maybe some of y'all newbies need to hear this stuff. thumbs up

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 2, 2016 02:04

so when the stones play live why dont they go back and play alot of the music from back then?

I love spider and the fly but they never play it,mothers little helper,19th nervous breakdown.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: November 2, 2016 02:11

Back to the theatre circuit celebrating Blue and Lonesome plus early gems like Mona....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2016 07:06

isn't pre-aftermath just math?

Date: November 2, 2016 07:14

Could You Walk On The Water

ROCKMAN

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: November 2, 2016 10:08

The Mono Box (I have the cds) made me relisten to all that stuff. And it is still, like back in the sixties, absolutely fabulous. Memories, memories....

Resotele

Date: November 2, 2016 10:17

Elmo Lewis
Damn, 7 responses.

Maybe some of y'all newbies need to hear this stuff. thumbs up

There might be a few thoughts about the pre-Aftermath Stones in this thread as well, Elmo smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: November 2, 2016 10:42

I know that the title is pre Aftermath but there is some Aftermath chat in here. I grew up as a kid from Stones 1st album. Route 66, Walkin The Dog, Mona and Can I Get A Witness. Don't overlook the wonderful Wyman bass playing on so much of the early stuff particularly I Wanna Be Your Man. I have bought several releases of Out Of Our Heads and struggle with the recording quality. On the other hand if you have a pre digital Aftermath LP try that on a high end vinyl player through analogue equipment. Wow!!! Wonderful performances beautifully recorded.

Date: November 2, 2016 10:49

What I love about the early Stones; actually the OOOH and Now Stones - is how they started getting a bigger sound, but its not really definable. Lots of bleedover and reverb, out of tune back up vocals - and then all in Mono. We end up with these secret mystery tracks in the songs.

Date: November 2, 2016 10:54

OOOH had more distorted guitars. That added to the sound-chaos, although in a good way, imo. She Said Yeah, for instance, is a mean little rocker. It's hard to distinguish the tracks in there, but it definitely cooks!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 2, 2016 12:12

DandelionPowderman
OOOH had more distorted guitars. That added to the sound-chaos, although in a good way, imo. She Said Yeah, for instance, is a mean little rocker. It's hard to distinguish the tracks in there, but it definitely cooks!

That was the first track I played from the new Mono box, and wow! A track I'd never thought much of until now sprang into life.

Date: November 2, 2016 12:15

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman

That was the first track I played from the new Mono box, and wow! A track I'd never thought much of until now sprang into life.

smileys with beer

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 2, 2016 12:52

Elmo Lewis
Yep, Mon a and Rooster are great.

Also Around and Around. I had only heard the LYL version - which I also love (should have been a single in 1977 to answer the punks!).

Down the Road Apiece is another one of my favorites from those early years. And Walking The Dog. And Tell Me. And Hitch Hike. And That's How Strong My Love Is. And...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 2, 2016 13:19

I enjoy their earlier albums so much more than Aftermath/Between The Buttons. Their first albums are packed with gems. Their debut album is marvelous and Out Of Our Heads is even greater. Not to forget their singles in the early/mid-60s, stunning indeed. ThereĀ“s so much passion in their early work.

Date: November 2, 2016 14:50

Empty Heart, a Nanker Phelge thumbs up

Date: November 2, 2016 14:52

DandelionPowderman

'She Said Yeah' while GREAT is easier to pick apart. I am thinking about "Oh Baby We Got a Good Thing", "Under Assistant", "Ride on Baby", "Hitch Hike", "19th Nervous Breakdown", and then there's those two B-Sides from Aftermath era..."Whos Driving Your Plane" and the other one (thinking..used in a Scorsese film...)damn what is it? "Long Long While".
Yes, I think that all of them of course are easily picked apart, but the initial charge (esp. in Mono) is one of an assault. A very unified assault.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 2, 2016 22:27

always found the pre aftermath stuff a bit hit and miss, some of it isnt that good, but some of it is brilliant, and so diverse, its true to say the band then were trying to make every song different.

my own favourites would be

she said yeah
the singer not the song
2120 south michigan avenue
off the hook
its all over now
the last time
satisfaction
not fade away
i just wanna make love to you

and much more.

Date: November 2, 2016 22:36

Why The Singer Not The Song?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 3, 2016 00:05

the singer not the song is very catchy, with weaving guitars, its not your typical stones song but jaggers vocals are superb as they were often in those days.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 3, 2016 00:28

Rockman
Could You Walk On The Water

I have. More than once. Caught fish through it as well...damn cold beer those days

Date: November 3, 2016 10:02

.... Ya c..c..c..crrrackin me up Munich ....

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home