Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor added to Jack Bruce Charity Concert (Likely EC & Charlie appearance)
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 18, 2016 18:45

Charity Concert for Jack Bruce next Tuesday at the o2 Shepherd's Bush Empire. Got my tickets for this weeks ago but today MT was added. Jack is one of my all time favourites.

Very Very Special Guests will also appear on he night. People have been engaging directly with Malcolm Bruce, Jack's son and the organiser, on Facebook asking if specific artists are coming and if they are not he has been explaining why not.

Several people have asked him about Charlie Watts and he has not denied Charlie's appearance nor EC's suggesting that they'll be there!

Further artists and tickets here;

[www.academymusicgroup.com]

[/URL][/img]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-18 19:24 by Rollin92.

Re: Mick Taylor added to Jack Bruce Charity Concert (Likely Charlie appearance)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 18, 2016 19:21

No Clapton?

Re: Mick Taylor added to Jack Bruce Charity Concert (Likely Charlie appearance)
Date: October 18, 2016 19:22

dcba
No Clapton?

One of the very very special guests. Again Malcolm hasn't denied his involvement. He makes a point of explaining why artists won't be there if they can't make it.

Re: Mick Taylor added to Jack Bruce Charity Concert (Likely EC & Charlie appearance)
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2016 21:44

Wow. Bernie Marsden, Ginger Baker, Steve Hackett, Mick Taylor, and possible Watts and Clapton appearances is an event I would run to!

Re: Mick Taylor added to Jack Bruce Charity Concert (Likely EC & Charlie appearance)
Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 18, 2016 22:36

They already did a Jack Bruce charity concert in 2015 with Ginger Baker on the bill and he walked off stage in the middle of a performance, because everything always has to be about him.

Link to video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 18, 2016 22:48

stone66
They already did a Jack Bruce charity concert in 2015 with Ginger Baker on the bill and he walked off stage in the middle of a performance, because everything always has to be about him.

It looks to me that he wasn't happy the way the other drummer drummed ...................

Date: October 18, 2016 22:59

stone66

That was a concert orchestrated by Jack's current wife & kids. Malcolm Bruce & Pete Brown were not invited, so Malcolm is taking a crack and it already is set to be better than last year.

I was at that gig and it wasn't a good tribute to Jack, very messy musically. Ginger has arthritis and can only drum at a certain volume, the other drummer was determined to drown him out with sound. Don't blame Ginger walking off.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 18, 2016 23:12

from the video, you can tell what it was a big mess ! Look at the poor keyboardist ...
I hope the new will be better.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 26, 2016 15:27

I'm curious. Any reviews from yesterday's concert with Mick Taylor?

N

Date: October 26, 2016 15:55

NeddieFlanders

N

I was there, very good concert. MT played his arse off on White Room, Keep
It Down and jammed on Crossroads. Very good musical tribute to Jack.

Ginger Baker, recovering from heart surgery, said some lovely words and gave a high intensity 5 minute drum solo.

EC was a no show and was a sore topic with the artists. I met Pete Brown and Malcolm Bruce, they didn't say too much about EC but it appears he was invited, said he would come and then didn't with no explanation.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 26, 2016 17:17

Rollin92
NeddieFlanders

N

Ginger Baker, recovering from heart surgery, said some lovely words and gave a high intensity 5 minute drum solo.

EC was a no show and was a sore topic with the artists. I met Pete Brown and Malcolm Bruce, they didn't say too much about EC but it appears he was invited, said he would come and then didn't with no explanation.

Thanks a lot for the review Rollin92!

Did MT play only on these three tracks?

N

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 26, 2016 17:26

Here's some videos (the only ones I could find so far):

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 26, 2016 18:23

NeddieFlanders
Rollin92
NeddieFlanders

N

Thanks a lot for the review Rollin92!

Did MT play only on these three tracks?

N

Yes just on these tracks but he made his mark. Most of the guitar work was done by Clem Clempson.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 26, 2016 20:07

Looks like a case of 'Where's Eric'.
Good that Ginger came however. Health-wise he's had a pretty wretched 12 months.

Date: October 26, 2016 20:12

jlowe
Looks like a case of 'Where's Eric'.
Good that Ginger came however. Health-wise he's had a pretty wretched 12 months.

Definitely, EC wasn't held in great regard last night! Ginger is 77, recovering from heart surgery, has arthritis but he still showed up and played the hell out of the drums. EC meanwhile couldn't be arsed...

Date: October 26, 2016 20:20

Yes, Mick T was certainly one of the highlights of the evening, along with the appearance and drum solo from Ginger. As MT was standing next to me at the bar afterwards, I had the audacity to tell him I enjoyed his guitar playing. I was promptly ignored as he put in his order for a beer!

Date: October 26, 2016 20:38

Manofwealthandtaste
Yes, Mick T was certainly one of the highlights of the evening, along with the appearance and drum solo from Ginger. As MT was standing next to me at the bar afterwards, I had the audacity to tell him I enjoyed his guitar playing. I was promptly ignored as he put in his order for a beer!

First things first winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 26, 2016 20:59

yeah, when you are thirsty, you are thirsty. Good one, mick.
jeroen

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:09

I was massively annoyed that I missed this show. I had to do a night shift for the ambulance service. I went to the show last year which was great less Ginger's leaving the stage which makes more sense when you read his comments and notes that Malcolm Bruce And Pete Brown weren't part of last years thing. I hope those who attended will spoil us with the details but Ginger back on stage and CorkyLaine and Pete Brown being a part of th event seems vey appropriate. I look forward to finding the bootleg of this show more than I do of buying the official release of the 2015 event!

Date: October 27, 2016 00:27

mr_c_ox
I was massively annoyed that I missed this show. I had to do a night shift for the ambulance service. I went to the show last year which was great less Ginger's leaving the stage which makes more sense when you read his comments and notes that Malcolm Bruce And Pete Brown weren't part of last years thing. I hope those who attended will spoil us with the details but Ginger back on stage and CorkyLaine and Pete Brown being a part of th event seems vey appropriate. I look forward to finding the bootleg of this show more than I do of buying the official release of the 2015 event!

Ginger's words about Jack were emotional and his playing was incredible for a very ill man. For all his faults, I can't help myself but liking GB.

[youtu.be]

Date: October 27, 2016 00:44

Did Billy Cobham show up?

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:56

Mick is in London.
Play guitar on bill wyman 80 birthday, sure.
Sici

Posted by: Somethinelse ()
Date: October 27, 2016 02:22

Sici
Mick is in London.
Play guitar on bill wyman 80 birthday, sure.
Sici

Mick T does not seem like the type to gate-crash a party.

Date: October 27, 2016 11:34

TheflyingDutchman

Nope he had to pull out last minute for some reason.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 27, 2016 11:51

TheflyingDutchman

I was really looking forward to seeing him, but sadly no, he did not appear.

Clapton was one of the big talking points in the ticket queue. Pretty much everyone assumed he was going to appear at the end of the show, and quite a few people were visibly annoyed when it became clear that he wasn't there. The latter half of the set had more of an impromptu blues jam feel to it and (presumably to adjust for EC's no-show) they had to alter the running order a bit - Pete Brown and Malcolm Bruce initially said there was going to be an interval, then announced there wouldn't be one after all.

Anyway, that aside, it was a very good show and lots of fun. As Rollin92 said, MT was excellent on White Room and Crossroads and (despite his Les Paul going missing beforehand) added some nice slide licks on Keep It Down as well. One of my personal highlights was a totally insane version of Politician with Bernie Marsden on guitar and Pete Brown rapping the lyrics. Also, kudos to Lulu for doing Sunshine Of Your Love the right way.

Obviously the overall highlight was Ginger's appearance and (brief) drum solo. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house, and the affection with which he spoke of Jack Bruce was remarkable given their personal history and the fact that Ginger isn't exactly known for his diplomacy. His playing was excellent too - all the more so since his health is obviously not good these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 11:52 by Stoneburst.

Date: October 27, 2016 11:58

Stoneburst
TheflyingDutchman

I was really looking forward to seeing him, but sadly no, he did not appear.

Clapton was one of the big talking points in the ticket queue. Pretty much everyone assumed he was going to appear at the end of the show, and quite a few people were visibly annoyed when it became clear that he wasn't there. The latter half of the set had more of an impromptu blues jam feel to it and (presumably to adjust for EC's no-show) they had to alter the running order a bit - Pete Brown and Malcolm Bruce initially said there was going to be an interval, then announced there wouldn't be one after all.

Anyway, that aside, it was a very good show and lots of fun. As Rollin92 said, MT was excellent on White Room and Crossroads and (despite his Les Paul going missing beforehand) added some nice slide licks on Keep It Down as well. One of my personal highlights was a totally insane version of Politician with Bernie Marsden on guitar and Pete Brown rapping the lyrics. Also, kudos to Lulu for doing Sunshine Of Your Love the right way.

Obviously the overall highlight was Ginger's appearance and (brief) drum solo. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house, and the affection with which he spoke of Jack Bruce was remarkable given their personal history and the fact that Ginger isn't exactly known for his diplomacy. His playing was excellent too - all the more so since his health is obviously not good these days.

I spoke with Malcolm Bruce before the show and it appears Eric gave no explanation as to not turning up when he was set to appear. Malcolm his his annoyance well but made the point that Ginger is very ill but still showed up...

The truth is EC, for some reason, has tried to distance himself from Cream and their legacy. It's sad that for one night in remembrance of a former band mate and for charity he could not put his own interests aside. EC is not a nice man I don't think.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 27, 2016 18:20

Here's part of White Room, including most of MT's solo:

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 27, 2016 18:55

Maybe Eric was upset because the whole thing was being banked on him? Who knows. Doesn't sound good that he didn't show, and I've always thought he seemed a bit like an A-hole, but maybe he had his reasons. He does always seem to distance himself from Cream.

Gotta see more videos. That Politician one with Bernie Marsden sounds amazing who can still play the hell out of a guitar and the Mick Taylor video is fantastic. God he still knows exactly how to do it.

Date: October 27, 2016 22:06

Stoneburst
Here's part of White Room, including most of MT's solo:

Inspired playing by Taylor, and a very solid band. Thanks for posting. RIP Jack Bruce.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 27, 2016 22:28

whoa,mick fckn taylor-wish the stones had a guitar player like that..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home