Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
OT: MLB Playoffs/ World Series
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 08:11

Chicago Cubs win a thriller in San Fran! Great 9th inning comeback to win the NLDS series and return to the NL finals for the second straight year! I know pretty much all of Canada will be cheering for the Blue Jays but I'll be cheering for my Cubs!
If the Cubs can get to the World Series I know they'll be the overwhelming sentimental favorites!

Re: OT: MLB Playoffs/ World Series
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 12, 2016 08:36

Good on the Cubbies. Great to see them in the playoffs. If they are in the WS, I'll be pulling for them. BUT . . . hoping for my Dodgers to get there. I'm not feeling good about Thursday's game in DC.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 12, 2016 11:14

I'm a Giants fan and disappointed, but they really did not do well after the All Star break. I guess the better team did win that playoff, in terms of overall record for the season. I wasn't that impressed in the two games I watched, though I'm sure the Cubs fans want that WS after not winning since 1908.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 11:17 by marianna.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:52

Congrats to the Cubs. My interest ended when the Red Sox were eliminated. Felt sad watching the end for "Big Papi". I'm so used to saying "there's always next year" that I'm kind of conditioned for it. Sad that there won't be a next year for Papi. I am glad that he went out under his own terms though. Good luck to all the remaining teams. I won't be watching but I'll be rooting for the Cubs.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:14

Go Indians!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 13, 2016 21:14

DGA35
Chicago Cubs win a thriller in San Fran! Great 9th inning comeback to win the NLDS series and return to the NL finals for the second straight year! I know pretty much all of Canada will be cheering for the Blue Jays but I'll be cheering for my Cubs!
If the Cubs can get to the World Series I know they'll be the overwhelming sentimental favorites!

The Blue Jays are a national team in Canada and yes, we will cheer for them through it all.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 14, 2016 03:37

Sad Red Sox fan here. This was not the way David Ortiz's great last season should have ended. As my wife just said - at least this way, it's not as stressful.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 14, 2016 04:05

Nats - Cubs would be fun to watch.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:43

shizzle I am happy to NOT be a devoted fan of either the Nats or Dodgers tonight, watching this "all the marbles" game, Score 1-0 Nats, then 4-1 Dodgers and then 4-3 Dodgers. Now in the 7th, it is fun to watch as an unbiased fan, but I know watching this do or die game as a devoted fan of either team would be damned uncomfortable edge of my seat gut wrenching with no finger nails remaining.

Now headed to the 8th inning with Dodgers up by a single run, 4-3 smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 06:46 by HankM.

Date: October 14, 2016 07:42

WOW!!! What a game!!

Indians vs Blue Jays and Cubs Vs Dodgers to determine who plays for the MLB Championship.

October baseball is great reality TV.

Date: October 14, 2016 08:17

HankM
shizzle I am happy to NOT be a devoted fan of either the Nats or Dodgers tonight, watching this "all the marbles" game, Score 1-0 Nats, then 4-1 Dodgers and then 4-3 Dodgers. Now in the 7th, it is fun to watch as an unbiased fan, but I know watching this do or die game as a devoted fan of either team would be damned uncomfortable edge of my seat gut wrenching with no finger nails remaining.

Now headed to the 8th inning with Dodgers up by a single run, 4-3 smiling bouncing smiley

Dodger fan here. It was agonizing!! Can't believe the Boys in Blue pulled it off!

Date: October 14, 2016 08:38

DaveG
HankM

Dodger fan here. It was agonizing!! Can't believe the Boys in Blue pulled it off!

grinning smiley such sweet agony and then VICTORY!!!

Congratulations on your team earning the victory!!! smileys with beer

MLB is such a long season... and then it comes down to one game.... and then comes down to 4 more innings... and then 3 outs... and then one more out!!! GET THIS OUT!!!! COME ON!!! And as any long term baseball fan knows, until the fat lady sings, no lead is safe. I love the baseball.

I have more reasons to root for the Dodgers so I am happy they won. GET THIS LAST OUT!! and they did.smoking smiley

On to Chicago!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 08:40 by HankM.

Date: October 14, 2016 09:29

The TV Gods must be happy with a Cubs/Dodgers NL final! Should draw huge ratings. Jays/Indians series will draw huge numbers here in Canada. When the Jays come to Seattle, tons of fans drive down to watch, it's almost like a home game for them.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 15:55

DEmerson
Sad Red Sox fan here. This was not the way David Ortiz's great last season should have ended. As my wife just said - at least this way, it's not as stressful.
Yes, the lack of stress is a blessing in disguise. Can't believe the Ortiz era is over...the last player standing from the epic 2004 ALCS on either the Red Sox or the Yankees.

However, a small (VERY small) part of me is happy that Francona got a chance to stick it to the Red Sox based on how shabbily he was treated by them in 2011.

All things being equal, I'm rooting for the Cubs now, although I'd also like to see Francona get a ring with another team.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:25

The Cubs should win. Dodger starting pitchers looked like they were running on fumes

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:58

Think there are any old Brooklyn Dodgers fans pulling for the LA Dodgers to win or do the Cubs win out due to over 100 years of futility?

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:03

Go Jays!

Date: October 14, 2016 19:34

I am mixed at which team to root for now. All of the teams I wanted to advance actually did (and vice versa) and now I dont know. I suppose Chicago, mostly just to get the goat off their backs, but I love LA too much to root against them.

Between the tribe and the Jays? I have not love for either team, but they both seem hungry. I can not decide, but from what I saw of the Indians, they have been on fire this year. It really shows what a great manager can do for a team.

I bet it is going to be three great series with some great managing and a lot of fun baseball to watch. It would not surprise me one bit to see every series go all the way with several extra innings games along the way.

Date: October 16, 2016 08:15

Great win for the Cubs tonight! Close until the bottom of the 8th when they got a grand slam to break the game wide open, then follow it up with another home run!

Jays are in tough now being down 2-0. Game 3 in Toronto is pretty much a must win for them.

Date: October 16, 2016 21:07

from what I saw of the Indians, they have been on fire this year.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 16, 2016 22:51

As a diehard Jays fan I don't want to give up but they are in deep trouble. To win the series I think a sweep at home is required. I think Cleveland's pitching exposed their Achilles heel which is pitchers with good breaking stuff can shut them down. Hell the Jays gave up four runs in two games which should have been enough for a split. But things will likely be different in Toronto because it's going to be Toronto loud there

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 17, 2016 05:56

Dodgers beat Cubs 1 to 0. Now it's 1 game each that series.

Date: October 17, 2016 06:52

hopkins
Dodgers beat Cubs 1 to 0. Now it's 1 game each that series.

Kershaw is Superman right now.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2016 15:51

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 17, 2016 17:13

GasLightStreet
Think there are any old Brooklyn Dodgers fans pulling for the LA Dodgers to win or do the Cubs win out due to over 100 years of futility?
My Dad grew up in Brooklyn in the '50s and saw them play many times.

He's a Mets fan primarily, but still has some affinity for the Dodgers based on that history.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 17, 2016 22:04

It was late 1960 when my family took that trip down Route 66 and moved from Chicago to LA. So, it would have been the season of 1961 when I discovered the Dodgers and, of course, Vin Scully. To my list of baseball heroes (including Ernie Banks) I added Sandy Koufax. Later when I moved from LA I listened to Dodger games on my computer to get Vin's call. I even got to pay my respects to him once in SF at AT&T Park. As many may know after 67 years Vin retired at the end of this season and has called his last Dodger game. So I am hanging on to this season for dear life as a last fraying line to the beloved announcer I have listened to my whole life.

Date: October 18, 2016 04:56

pmk251
It was late 1960 when my family took that trip down Route 66 and moved from Chicago to LA. So, it would have been the season of 1961 when I discovered the Dodgers and, of course, Vin Scully. To my list of baseball heroes (including Ernie Banks) I added Sandy Koufax. Later when I moved from LA I listened to Dodger games on my computer to get Vin's call. I even got to pay my respects to him once in SF at AT&T Park. As many may know after 67 years Vin retired at the end of this season and has called his last Dodger game. So I am hanging on to this season for dear life as a last fraying line to the beloved announcer I have listened to my whole life.

Vin Scully is the best baseball radio man ever. And he worked solo. I have no reasons to say that besides it is a fact. 67 years. He was a master. His voice was soothing, as a baseball announcers voice should be.

There is not much worse than hearing screaming, yelling, complaining, nitpicking yadda yaddaing bad baseball announcing teams spout their BS while a game is going on.

I didn't get to listen to Vin as much as I would have liked to, but compared to every other announcer I have ever heard around the world Mr Scully was the best.

Scully is one of the last broadcasters to work solo. Scully calls the first three innings of each Dodgers game alone, with the TV and radio signals simulcast, and then continues for the remainder of the game on TV only. When asked why he goes solo, partner Charley Steiner said "Poets don't need straight men." Scully himself says that broadcasting solo allows him to have a conversation with the listener rather than a broadcasting partner, and this allows a rapport with the listener that could not otherwise occur.

And fun fact- Scully (of Mulder and Scully) was named after Vin smiling smiley

MLB RIGHT NOW UPDATE
Monday, October 17 ALCS Gm 3
BOT 5 Blue Jays 2, Indians 2

TOP 6 Indians 3, Blue Jays 2

FINAL Indians win 4 - 2

Tribe leads the series 3-0 over the Jays
in a best of 7 games.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-18 12:31 by HankM.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: October 18, 2016 14:44

drbryant
The Cubs should win. Dodger starting pitchers looked like they were running on fumes

Ah but Dear Dr...that's the way they played all year...we shall see!

Date: October 18, 2016 23:07

Jays are now down 3-0 to Cleveland. Not impossible to win 4 in a row now but will be very difficult!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home