Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Date: October 10, 2016 00:23

I know youtube may be misguiding but after watching the gig on youtube....the experience can be really hard for some fans...

I will just remain silent...

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:25

HMS
I just don´t understand people complaining about this and that.
Just watched some clips and they seem to have delivered a great great show!

Who´d ever thought they would ever do "Come Together" (very good version, btw), "Mixed Emotions" & "Little T&A"? Their version of "Ride Em On Down" was far better than the original! Keith playing bad? His IORR-intro was phenomenal. For a guy who is not young anymore, suffers from arthritis and since his surgery has to take medicines which probably cause side effects (especially if mixed with alcohol) he´s in good form. 30 years ago practically everyone thought he´d be long gone in 2016 - and here he is!

As usual...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:25

TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
If you think they sound fine and are playing great, it is you who has the rose colored glasses. The energy is gone. The performance is a hollow shell of something that was once alive and vital. I'll defend the Stones as being the greatest rock and roll band of all time until I draw my last breath - because of all the great music they've given us, but those Desert Trip videos are lifeless and sad. As for them having fun without me, they don't even look like they are having fun; they're going through the motions. Hell, the maligned first Philly 1981 show was full of mistakes but the rock and roll feeling and excitement was there.

I think part of the reason they look like they're not having fun is cause they're aware of how weak they at times sound. Mick Jagger mostly has that dead serious struggling face as though he his climbing up a giant mountain with a bunch of lost musicians on his shoulders, at the same knowing his voice is also lacking.

With that said I still think they sound fantastic on songs like Start Me Up and Mixed Emotions, and Ride 'Em on Down has great potential on rocking like hell the next time they play it.
Mick looks utterly miserable. He's a consummate professional and I know part of the reason he didn't "go for it" on vocals was because of the dry air, but watching him walk around the stage with such a bored, passionless look on his face was extremely deflating.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:31

Don't remember seeing Gimme Shelter posted and it's a pretty good version [www.youtube.com]

I'm far from being a Keith apologist but his playing on is a LOT better than when they played it in 2012/2014 for sure, no fluffed notes in the intro and the soloing is decent. Guess it shows that when he focuses he can still pull it off, as opposed to clowning around on the catwalk during his SFTD solo...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:35

People see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear -- even going so far as to speak for the Stones themselves as to how they're feeling (miserable, passionless, etc.).

Yet they still follow along for every show, spilling their vitriol and demanding that everyone else see and hear things just as they do.

I recommend the Havana boot -- not so much for the performance of the band, but for the reactions of younger fans in the audience. It's an audience recording, so you'll hear the moment by moment comments, in real time, of how young fans in their twenties are won over. One young female fan: "They're better than I thought they'd be". One young male fan, when the band kicks into Miss You, enthusiastically exclaims: "It never gets old!"

Don't take my word for it, take theirs,... if you dare.

Date: October 10, 2016 00:35

Eh. OK.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:45

gotdablouse
Don't remember seeing Gimme Shelter posted and it's a pretty good version [www.youtube.com]

I'm far from being a Keith apologist but his playing on is a LOT better than when they played it in 2012/2014 for sure, no fluffed notes in the intro and the soloing is decent. Guess it shows that when he focuses he can still pull it off, as opposed to clowning around on the catwalk during his SFTD solo...

Uhmm...which SFTD solo? I think it's not clowning...Keith seemed to be completely lost.

Date: October 10, 2016 00:46

stone66
People see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear -- even going so far as to speak for the Stones themselves as to how they're feeling (miserable, passionless, etc.).

Yet they still follow along for every show, spilling their vitriol and demanding that everyone else see and hear things just as they do.

Obviously - it's clear that anyone can see the way Mick is feeling in this pic: Mick is either miserable or passionless right here because obviously he just stepped on a tack and is about to unleash the loudest "Owwwww!" followed by a fookin' bleedin' obvious "GodDAMN that hurt" of his life.

What makes you think anyone saying 'that's terrible' wants it to be terrible? I don't want to hear Keith be terrible like he is in SFTD or Gimme Shelter etc.

Based on observation he is.

Perhaps you have bad hearing and listening and observation capabilities.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:50

Typical.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:58

stone66

I recommend the Havana boot -- not so much for the performance of the band, but for the reactions of younger fans in the audience. It's an audience recording, so you'll hear the moment by moment comments, in real time, of how young fans in their twenties are won over. One young female fan: "They're better than I thought they'd be". One young male fan, when the band kicks into Miss You, enthusiastically exclaims: "It never gets old!"

Don't take my word for it, take theirs,... if you dare.

Since you mentioned the Havana concert, I thought I should share this screenshot taken from the official Havana Moon trailer to sum it up to your comment, with which I agree a lot. The happiness on this woman's face says a lot more than any complaints about the setlist or whatever whining the usual naysayers use to post here for ages, like a broken record.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 10, 2016 10:16

GasLightStreet
HMS
He plays off-key because he wants to give SFTD the smell of menace and anarchy it deserves. Once more, he knows what he does. He could play a straight and clean solo on SFTD anytime but that´s not what the man WANTS.

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

The best ever. I've read a few insane posts on here over the years, but this one absolutely takes the biscuit ! Fantastic !

Just when you think you've seen/heard/read it all, you get this. Brilliant !

I wonder where the medical world is with EAR transplants ? Some folk are in need, dire dire need !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: October 10, 2016 10:58

keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
If you think they sound fine and are playing great, it is you who has the rose colored glasses. The energy is gone. The performance is a hollow shell of something that was once alive and vital. I'll defend the Stones as being the greatest rock and roll band of all time until I draw my last breath - because of all the great music they've given us, but those Desert Trip videos are lifeless and sad. As for them having fun without me, they don't even look like they are having fun; they're going through the motions. Hell, the maligned first Philly 1981 show was full of mistakes but the rock and roll feeling and excitement was there.

I think part of the reason they look like they're not having fun is cause they're aware of how weak they at times sound. Mick Jagger mostly has that dead serious struggling face as though he his climbing up a giant mountain with a bunch of lost musicians on his shoulders, at the same knowing his voice is also lacking.

With that said I still think they sound fantastic on songs like Start Me Up and Mixed Emotions, and Ride 'Em on Down has great potential on rocking like hell the next time they play it.
Mick looks utterly miserable. He's a consummate professional and I know part of the reason he didn't "go for it" on vocals was because of the dry air, but watching him walk around the stage with such a bored, passionless look on his face was extremely deflating.

Being extremely focused is not the same as being miserable..

It's hard work playing a little bar, but it's even more to be on top of in a huuuuge festival show.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 11:03

grinning smiley grinning smileygrinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

paulywaul
GasLightStreet
HMS
He plays off-key because he wants to give SFTD the smell of menace and anarchy it deserves. Once more, he knows what he does. He could play a straight and clean solo on SFTD anytime but that´s not what the man WANTS.

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

The best ever. I've read a few insane posts on here over the years, but this one absolutely takes the biscuit ! Fantastic !

Just when you think you've seen/heard/read it all, you get this. Brilliant !

I wonder where the medical world is with EAR transplants ? Some folk are in need, dire dire need !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 10, 2016 12:26

If he is still able to play decent solos on some songs, why´d he fuk up SFTD everytime?

The answer is - he ain´t fukin up, he plays what he WANTS to play. One more time, he´s in absolute control and HE KNOWS what he´s doing. Not EVERY single wrong note may be intended (there have always been wrong notes here and there since the very beginning) but overall he is sounding like he wants to sound, making the noise he wants to make. Great noise.

I´ve not lost my mind. I dig the man. Most of you obviously don´t.

Date: October 10, 2016 12:27

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Angus and his playing are STILL There winking smiley

And sorry yes this solo is purely awful.
TooTough
powerage78
Come Together, awful Keith solo.

As much as I like your AC/DC connection - maybe you
are a bit frustrated that we still have an original
guitar player, the original drummer and singer.

There is no Keith solo in CT...

No - watching the video it's actually Ronnie. Sorry.

You don't have to apologise for Powerage's rants! grinning smiley

Date: October 10, 2016 12:55

Aerosmith Come Together live version... thumbs up
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 10, 2016 13:18

powerage78
[www.youtube.com]

Yeah except the comparison is not valid : AS has been playing this tune since the 70's, they know it by rote.
Otoh for the Stones it was a live premiere...

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 13:46

I don't understand why they keep SFTD in the setlist because obviously it's not aging that well. It does not do the Stones justice. They could easily replace it an easier number like Street Fighting Man.

Date: October 10, 2016 13:49

padre69
I don't understand why they keep SFTD in the setlist because obviously it's not aging that well. It does not do the Stones justice. They could easily replace it an easier number like Street Fighting Man.

99 percent of the crowd loves it! After a show, there are three - maybe four - songs being sung on the way out: Miss You, IORR, maybe Start Me Up and Sympathy For The Devil.

That's why they don't skip it. The majority haven't seen SFTD 15 times since 1989. It's probably their second SFTD.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 10, 2016 13:50

padre69

It's cause Jagger thinks the audience ''demands'' it which is complete nonsense. They didn't play SFTD in Cleveland 2002 or at Astoria 2003, and nobody left those concerts in disgust. They also didn't play Satisfaction at the first O2 show 2012 and people were happy not to hear it.

Date: October 10, 2016 13:51

Yes I know, Purely right.
But... The Stones did not rehearse ?
Why this lack of guitars and energy in their version ?

dcba
powerage78
[www.youtube.com]

Yeah except the comparison is not valid : AS has been playing this tune since the 70's, they know it by rote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 13:53 by powerage78.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 10, 2016 13:55

padre69

In general I don't like the sampling on SFTD. If they want to keep it, they should change the lead guitar. Ronnie could do it. He is in a far better shape than Keith. Keith "solos" are really awkward.

Date: October 10, 2016 13:57

TheBlockbuster
padre69

It's cause Jagger thinks the audience ''demands'' it which is complete nonsense. They didn't play SFTD in Cleveland 2002 or at Astoria 2003, and nobody left those concerts in disgust. They also didn't play Satisfaction at the first O2 show 2012 and people were happy not to hear it.

They meant to play Satisfaction, though, but didn't wanna fight the curfew.

How many first- or second timers were in the audience at the Astoria or in Cleveland, btw? Of course the hardcores won't mind SFTD being laid to rest for a while smiling smiley

Date: October 10, 2016 14:03

powerage78
Yes I know, Purely right.
But... The Stones did not rehearse ?
Why this lack of guitars and energy in their version ?

dcba
powerage78
[www.youtube.com]

But the people who were there didn't describe the show that way at all.

It's the Periscope feed and the cell phone videos that presented the mix you're talking about.

And one thing about Come Together while we're at it. There isn't an extended guitar solo on that track. Ronnie was merely playing his interpretation of the guitar motif in this song.

This is what people who were actually there wrote, btw:

I can definitely tell you that the Stones sounded awesome. Loud, energetic, and definitely crowd pleasers. I was in the GA pit standing right next to the catwalk/b-stage platform on the barricade; I had a great view. Mick is simply amazing. Watching other front-men bore me to death since Mick spoils us all.

I have to admit I was somewhat amazed after reading the some of the negative reviews from folks who have derived their opinions from Periscope or You Tube viewing.

Bottom line: the Stones rocked on Friday night. As someone who was there, I didn't hear any negativity from fellow concert-goers. We all had a blast. I left feeling truly blessed that we still have our favorite band playing live and doing a great job!! I can't wait for the next show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 14:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 10, 2016 14:09

Best show ever.
Awesome !
OK. Stop there.
Bad notes, awful playing: Periscope and Youtube faults.
Bye.
smoking smiley

PS: read comments and reviews on the Web...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 15:23 by powerage78.

Date: October 10, 2016 14:14

powerage78
Best show ever.
Awesome !
OK. Stop there.
Bad notes, awful playing: Periscope and Youtube faults.
Bye.
smoking smiley

PS: read comments on the Web...

Well, I didn't say that. I said that «lack of guitars and energy» wasn't what the people who were there said.

I never said the SFTD-solo was great. It never is. It's his «meet and greet»-number with the audience. He barely cares to play when doing that. Had you attended a show, you would have known that, right? winking smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 10, 2016 14:33

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
padre69

They meant to play Satisfaction, though, but didn't wanna fight the curfew.

How many first- or second timers were in the audience at the Astoria or in Cleveland, btw? Of course the hardcores won't mind SFTD being laid to rest for a while smiling smiley

Gund Arena in Cleveland is a 21.000 seat arena so there must have been tons of first and second timers there. To quote Neil Young ''People get sick of getting pleased.''

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:17

I've been reading a lot of reviews and comments on various sites about the whole Desert Trip weekend. Most of what I'm hearing is that the Stones are getting the worst reviews of everybody. Sad. I hope our boys rise to the occasion and give it hell on the second weekend!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 10, 2016 15:39

HonkeyTonkFlash
I've been reading a lot of reviews and comments on various sites about the whole Desert Trip weekend. Most of what I'm hearing is that the Stones are getting the worst reviews of everybody. Sad. I hope our boys rise to the occasion and give it hell on the second weekend!

Didn't the Stones always get poorer reviewers than these other artists and bands by the fans of those acts? smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:42

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

Didn't the Stones always get poorer reviewers than these other artists and bands by the fans of those acts? smiling smiley

Fair enough. I know I've also read bad reviews of Stones shows that I've actually been to and thought they were good. And watching videos at home is no substitute for being there. But those mistakes....oh those mistakes...Maybe if you were really there that would fly over one's head but it's painful on video.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home